Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flash Paks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AceTachyon
Do Flash-Paks cover an area? Or are they pointed toward your opponent (like a claymore)? Do I treat them like the DEF-TEC flash-bangs? If so, what's their area of effect? And would I use grenade blast rules ('cept there's no Damage Level to stage)?

Thanks.
Jrayjoker
My understanding is that flash packs are directional and worn on the shoulder or handheld. They either are used from behind the plane of peripheral vision at a wide dispersal on the shoulder or above the head, or in a narrower beam from within the range of vision like a flashlight.
Necro Tech
They also work great front mounted on a riot shield (behind the armor) or slid across the floor into a room. Throwing them can't be a good idea due to breakage and getting them facing the right way.
Jrayjoker
I am sure there are grenade versions of this with a little stun thrown into the mix.
Necro Tech
Sure, dual charge grenades. Half stun, half flash which everyone naturally refers to as flashbangs.
Jrayjoker
Or if you read Shapcano's stuff, link 6 of them for simultaneous detonation and get a Bee-Bop.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Sure, dual charge grenades. Half stun, half flash which everyone naturally refers to as flashbangs.

Except that their power's crap and anyone with flare compensation and dampeners can shrug it off fairly easily IIRC. Granted that's the whole point of having them though. smile.gif
Fix-it
mounted under-barrel during a night fight.

can you say "OW MY EYES"??? grinbig.gif
Lantzer
Since I always thought of FlashPaks as basically a pack of flashbulbs, I see them as directional, affecting a rough hemisphere. My characters usually slid them across the floor, etc, with bulbs pointing up.

Flash grenades are different.

I like both of them.
Nikoli
I find they're useful on the back of your helmet when riding a motorcycle.
Jrayjoker
Nikoli, that is just plain mean. What a perfect way to discourage the roving band of go-gangers that you are more trouble than you are worth.
Nikoli
biggrin.gif
It's even better on wet streets with a turn coming up....
mfb
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Except that their power's crap and anyone with flare compensation and dampeners can shrug it off fairly easily IIRC. Granted that's the whole point of having them though.

hilariously, flare comp is almost as useless against flash grenades and flashpaks as bare eyes. they provide something like -2 to the power of the stun damage those attacks deal.
The White Dwarf
Flash-paks/grenades rule. Hi, you take penalties with no check to resist, have a day.

It always pays to have 1-2 of these around along with a hold out. Yes, really.
Jrayjoker
I love 'em. Hell I'd eat 'em for breakfast if I could. Very effective.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Except that their power's crap and anyone with flare compensation and dampeners can shrug it off fairly easily IIRC. Granted that's the whole point of having them though.

hilariously, flare comp is almost as useless against flash grenades and flashpaks as bare eyes. they provide something like -2 to the power of the stun damage those attacks deal.

Actually, if you'll look at the descriptions of the two devices, they work differently against flare comp'd eyes. Their effect is modified (-2) against flare comp. And you get no glare mods! Wee!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012