Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focus questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sokei

I have a character that wants to use a sustaining focus from char gen , which i don't mind but as i read the description neither one of us could find the answers to some questions we had:

1. when does it shut off (if at all)
2. he seems to think that mages can focus spells at the focus (im pretty sure this isn't right , but i could be wrong)
3. does he have to cast the spell into the focus beyond the first time.

the other question , he has 1 arm that is cybertech which goes with his character background. he wants to make his cyber claws in his right arm into weapon foci... i personally don't think this will work but he insists, and i don't have an issue with him having them if they can even be made like that. so my question is , can cyberweapons be foci ? and if so would they cost more, and could he even use them in astral space because he has no arm and cyberware has no astral signature the foci would float next to him im assuming but wouldn't function ?

this could very well be a dead horse and i apologize if so grinbig.gif any help is appreciated greatly.
Jrayjoker
Regarding #2, see this thread:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...48&hl=grounding

smile.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
A sustaining focus is active from when you cast the spell into the focus until you shut off the focus. To activate the sustaining focus again, you must recast the spell. The focus is dual natured while active, so wards and spirits can ruin it if the mage is not careful.

Actually, cyberware (once paid with essense) is effectively a part of the mage for all purposes, although some uses may not translate to the astral. So a cyberarm does exist when astrally projecting, but the cyber SMG will not provide any astral bullets and the cyberarmor does nothing to slow down the mana type dangers of the astral.
Canid13
Cyber Implant weapon foci are very cool, since it's rather hard to confiscate them or leave them behind. Granted, they don't suit everyone though :o)

Yes, mages can cast spells at the focus, but not through it. Active foci are a hazard, but they do give you some cool benefits - it's a balance :o)
Panzergeist
Are you sure cyber armor doesn't protect against astral melee damage? Troll dermal armor does, doesn't it?

Cyber melee weapons can be weapon foci, but keep in mind that they are ALWAYS active, since they are always in contact with the character. This means he can't sneak through wards, and will often get accosted by magical security, and any police mage who sees him will see that he is carrying a weapon focus, and possibly ask to see a permit.

As for sustaining foci, they sustain a spell that has been cast into the focus. The spell can be cancelled by a thought as a free action, but it will also shut off if the focus goes out of physical contact with the target of the spell. That's the target, not necesarily the guy who owns the focus and casts the spell.

All foci have astral forms that go with the user when he projects.
Fortune
Implanted Weapon Foci are not always active. All Foci can be activated and deactivated. A character could walk around wearing Weapon Foci Hardliner Gloves, or a Power Focus ring, and only activate them when he needs them. The same applies to any and all Foci.
Sokei
thanks that helped with a lot of questions, now i've got another one for you. My PC's mage has his right arm cybered, if he were to cast improved reflexes +3 (SR3) into his force 4 sustaining focus does he gain any bonus for his cybered arm? , the description says that there is no cyber version of this spell.

Also if the owner/target of the spell focus were to either pass out, fall asleep , be knocked out etc, does the focus keep going?
Fortune
The cyberarm is a part of him, so yes the arm would be affected by the spell. The reference to the lack of a 'cybered' version is just so mages don't chuck IR3 on top of a Sammy's Wired Reflexes 3.

As far as I know, Foci become inactive if the owner loses consciousness or dies.
Canid13
I thought that Sustaining foci remained active while it had a spell inside it, regardless of the status of the mage - except when he/she's dead. Nothing can sustain it that much (save maybe Living Focus adept power).

I've ruled, and this is a house rule mind, that cybered armour such as bone lacings or dermal sheaths don't help on the astral, but orthoskin would since it's bioware and that counts as natural (save synaptic accelerator).

One question though, does a Troll have Dermal Armour or Dermal Plating. My rulebook says it's plating, so the Troll gets +1 Body for damage resistance etc, but I've seen many references recently to a Trolls 'dermal armour' applying for reducing power and stuff.
Fortune
QUOTE (Canid13)
I thought that Sustaining foci remained active while it had a spell inside it, regardless of the status of the mage - except when he/she's dead.

Yeah, and so would an Anchoring Focus.

I've ruled, and this is a house rule mind, that cybered armour such as bone lacings or dermal sheaths don't help on the astral, but orthoskin would since it's bioware and that counts as natural (save synaptic accelerator).

How does that work? The orthoskin is protecting the actual body of the projecting character, but does nothing to protect his aura. The same reasoning that doesn't allow the Synaptic Accelerator to work with AP would apply to Orthoskin.
Canid13
Well, I've never actually had a mage project with Orthiskin so it's never come up. But it seemed to make sense, though I'll admit the bioware/magic thing is very complex :o)
Sokei
so basically i have to worry about my this mage PC running around with a constantly active force 4 IR3 spell being sustained by his focus. I do know that if he takes another 4 force worth of foci I start rolling for addiction but aside from that he basically has a free Reflex boost that wards/mage guards/astrally active beasts are the only real hinderance.... now that i think about it thats a bit of a time bomb waiting to happen , heh , but wow. Now im really wondering why none of my players ever went for foci before, aside from the occasional weapon focus.
Fortune
Even better, you might as well only use a Force 1 spell and Focus combination. It's cheaper in both nuyen and Karma, and doesn't affect the outcome since the spell isn't limited in any way to Force. It isn't as difficult to drop and then recast when you encounter Wards ... even easier if you use a personalized version of IR3.
Frenzy
A mage with an IR+3 Focus and an F6 Shield Focus is a very dangerous runner.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Frenzy)
A mage with an IR+3 Focus and an F6 Shield Focus is a very dangerous runner.

It's been pointed out before that IR+3 isn't the end-all-be-all of sustained spells. On the average, it will gain the mage 9-12 and it's doubtful they've got 8+ reaction to push it into 3 actions, well not at chargen anyways.

Not that I am down-playing IR+3, but it's not as unbalancing as a version that would work on a cybered-up sam which thankfully can't exist.

Speaking to Armor, don't forget it projects a visible force field around the target, so it's also not very incognito way to operate if stealth is manditory, but if things gets hot and heavy it's more than useful.
Sokei
yeah having that F6 sheild focus would be a huge advantage for him but seeing as how he has a magic of 4, wouldn't he suffer foci addiction ? i don't have the books on me but isn't that enough of a deterrent or is it more of an annoyance?

also , he runs a decent chance at creation of passing out whenever he casts into the focus.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Sokei)
yeah having that F6 sheild focus would be a huge advantage for him but seeing as how he has a magic of 4, wouldn't he suffer foci addiction ? i don't have the books on me but isn't that enough of a deterrent or is it more of an annoyance?

also , he runs a decent chance at creation of passing out whenever he casts into the focus.

IIRC, it's double your Magic Rating in allowed points before addiction, but I could be mistaken.
Sokei
sorry forgot to add the F 4 sustaining on top of the F 6 shield foci , so 10 foci force total vs the magic rating of 4.
Fortune
QUOTE (Sokei)
sorry forgot to add the F 4 sustaining on top of the F 6 shield foci , so 10 foci force total vs the magic rating of 4.

Once again, why Force 4?
Sokei
this is one of my PC's characters, im just stating what he currently has as his starting equipment, the force 4 sustaining is all the foci he is starting with. i used the example of the force 6 foci as a possible reason to start rolling for addiction , sorry if there was any confusion. My main point was to clarify a few things i could see in the books such as when they shut off ( if at all ) and whether or not they would effect the cybernetic arm of his, because oddly enough the only foci that my previous mages took were weapon foci and i had no experience with sustaining foci in game.
mfb
it's not that he stands a chance of passing out, it's that he stands a chance of taking a hit from focus addiction.
fistandantilus4.0
I do remember reading somewhere that all foci have to be made from scratch. not necessarily by the person bonding it, but whoever first enchants it. In this case, they'd have to personally make all the wires/circuits/pistons/what have you for said cyber-arm. not impossible, but definitely a pain.
Is this a hold over from a different addition, valid in SR3, or do just need to cut back on some bad habits?
Fortune
You can enchant pretty much anything. It's just easier with non-high-tech stuff, or things you make yourself.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Fortune)
You can enchant pretty much anything. It's just easier with non-high-tech stuff, or things you make yourself.

Yeah in MITS they make a comment about enchanting a lighter or pocket secretary or somesuch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012