Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey, wow, I have this timesaving idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Wounded Ronin
Wow, I just had this timesaving idea. There are lots of people on this forum. They all play SR. Most of them are smarter than me.

We should all, like, write one module apiece and put them somewhere on this forum. Then there would be this gigantic library of modules.

And then whenever someone wanted to GM a game of shadowrun, they'd just have to pick one of these modules. Everything would already be written up and thought of.

Think of how much time we'd all save down the road.
FrostyNSO
I think this would be a great idea.

I have no idea what the published modules look like in format, but I have tons of old notes.

If someone could give me a template, I could make these notes into something coherant pretty quick.
TeOdio
Even a simple format would do, there is enough "published" stuff to fill in the blanks. It could go something like the published scenarios work, just with no filler. Hell, most of my scenarios are 1 - 3 page Bullet Point notes of who's doing what where and what the PC's find if they follow a certain lead. Then I just fill in the blanks as they move from scene to scene. That way, you have a clear and concise "story", yet you get to decide what actually happens during the scene.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
Crimson Jack
That is a very good idea. I'd submit a few.
Shadowrunner13
I have lots of runs I could submit. I have no problem with this... other than deciding which one to add to the archives. smile.gif

SR13
Jrayjoker
If you want a format to follow, go download a Mission from Shadowrunrpg.com amd base your runs in that general layout.
Nikoli
maybe we could get a hosted section on the main site. Like Modules.dumpshock.com or somesuch, with a rating system so the good folks at FanPro can come here and see what the fans they keep sending folks to like and possibly print a few of them as real SR publications.
KarmaInferno
I love this idea too, have a couple of never-submitted SR mods originally thought up for the old Virtual Seattle campaign that don't fit the Missions set-up.

I dunno about being more brilliant than cheese, though. Cheese is pretty damn brilliant.

So, who would we talk to about setting up a section of this site to hold modules?
bitrunner
I have a BETTER idea!! How about submitting them to the Shadowrun Missions campaign!!! nyahnyah.gif

(BTW: there aren't any adventures that were "thought up for VS that don't fit Missions" that i'm aware of...if something doesn't fit the storyline, we just make it a stand alone adventure, so there should be no problem...)
KarmaInferno
It was from back in Wes's reign, never got any further than an outline.

The adventure was going to be called "Orbital" and designed for high-karma-pool characters, if that's any clue to the plot.

I'd imagine we talk to Adam about it, on the admin threads
Adam
I suggest that it's far better to try and submit the adventures to either SR Missions, the Commandos, or the Shadowrun Supplemental, than to try to boldly forge some new resource.
Ecclesiastes
I'd be happy to host something like this. If you want, you could send them to me and I'll put a site up. I'll give credit to authors and the like of course. It could also give bitrunner a place to look and see if he finds anything he likes. He could then simply email the author and see if they would mind the run being used in Missions.

What do you guys think?
Ecclesiastes
As for a format, I'll put together a a template for you all to follow. In fact, I'll do one in txt, one in doc, and another in html. Of course the txt and doc files sent to me would have to be converted to html, but I could handle that.
Wounded Ronin
I think that I'd rather have a big list of modules all in one place than submit a module and have it get lost in the archives somewhere.

Ecclesiastes, do you have an address that submissions should be sent to?
Ecclesiastes
ecclesiastes76(at)yahoo(dot)com
Wounded Ronin
Thanks. I'll try to find something cool to send you sometime soon to get this kicked off.
Ecclesiastes
Nice, I'll start putting together a homepage for it.

Warning: It won't be pretty, but it'll work. I don't get in much for fancy sites. It'll have links to what you want and thats all I'm worried about.
RangerJoe
Thanks for volunteering to put up the site, Ecc. I've emailed you a submission. Yes, it is a run inspired by 80s rock.
Ecclesiastes
Right on. This should be cool, I can't believe it wasn't thought of years ago. Just keep in mind that I can't check yahoo mail from work, so it'll be night work for me to get everything together.
FrostyNSO
As soon as you get that template together, I'll give it a shot. I can't get onto the fanpro site right now to check out their mission format.
Fortune
Having another resource defeats the purpose of the ones that are already out there.

Putting scenarios that are supposed to be later used by SRM or the Commandos on the web for all to peruse kind of makes them useless for upcoming Conventions, etc.

One of the reasons (I assume ... no offense Adam) that new 'The Shadowrun Supplemental' releases have slowly declined in number, and now switched to the new format, is because people are not submitting ideas of merit in enough volume to make it feasible.

Use the resources out there that are already established for this purpose.
Wounded Ronin
But we're not necessarily putting things that are destined for conventions etc. on the web. We're just putting up a collection of unofficial modules we've written so that we can all access them neatly in one place.

I don't want to have to backpedal through the archives of Shadowrun Supplemental just to be able to look at a bunch of modules and pick one to run one evening. I want to be able to look at a list, consider a few, choose one, and prepare to run it, without having to wade through lots of other material that isn't just more modules.
Ecclesiastes
Ok, here ya go!

[ Spoiler ]

Use as many Scenes as need be. If you have any questions, let me know.
Ecclesiastes
Having another resource defeats the purpose of the ones that are already out there.

Putting scenarios that are supposed to be later used by SRM or the Commandos on the web for all to peruse kind of makes them useless for upcoming Conventions, etc.

One of the reasons (I assume ... no offense Adam) that new 'The Shadowrun Supplemental' releases have slowly declined in number, and now switched to the new format, is because people are not submitting ideas of merit in enough volume to make it feasible.

Use the resources out there that are already established for this purpose.

I see your point. What if I ran all the modules I get by bitrunner and see what he thinks about them? The ones he doesn't think would be good for a con I can then post, and the ones he likes he can ask the author if he can use it. If the author says no, then I'll post it.

How does that sound?
Adam
I don't want to have to backpedal through the archives of Shadowrun Supplemental just to be able to look at a bunch of modules and pick one to run one evening.

That's why the latest incarnation of the site has categories, so you can simply hit the Adventures category and get a list of all the adventures. I had someone volunteer to enter all the previous articles into the database, and he had to bail on it, though, so only the new stuff is categorized.

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of traffic we still get for back issues and older articles.
FrostyNSO
Cool, thanks Ecc! I'll rummage the notes and try and find a good one for my one submission.

I can't access the Shadowrun Supplemental from work due to stupid websense. Thus, it's use to me is about nil.
Adam
I'm assuming WebSense is some sort of filtering software? What category has the TSS site been put under?

Hilarious that they would filter that, but not DSF. A - lucky for you - demonstration of how poor most filtering software is.
Ecclesiastes
Yeah, we use WebSense at my work too. Your site is listed as Games. What is funny is how it constantly changes. I used to be able to get here. Then they blocked it. Then I found a work around, but it was crappy. Then for a while for forums was at forums-temp.dumpshock.com and I could get back on it. When it changed back to forums, I didn't have a problem anymore. *shrug*

I also used to be blocked from shadowrunrpg.com, but now I'm not.
Sandoval Smith
Curse you stupid Japanese filtering software. Every now and then, Websense will decide it doesn't like DSF, but it's always 'changed it's mind' after a couple days. It's criteria for blocking English language pages seems pretty random.
Adam
Hrm. I guess I can't complain /too/ much about it being put into the "Games" category. Annoying that it's blocked away from some people, though.
FrostyNSO
Ecc, you just described the same debacle that I went through here. How funny.

It is under games here too.

Luckily I can get here, but I can't visit the main DS site. I am dreading the day I lose the forums again. About the only other things I can get too are nfl.com and mlb.com cyber.gif
Ecclesiastes
Yeah, I can't get to the main page either. I can get to McMackie's page, Raygun's page, but not the Archive or TSS.
FrostyNSO
ditto that. stupid W-sense.
Adam
Ugh. Wish there was something we could do that would fix the situation; very annoying all-around.
Fortune
I think the Dumpshock main page is actually down, as I haven't been able to access it for a while, even with no filtering. I assumed it was the result of the recent (and still ongoing?) migration, as I get the same result for the Seattle Intelligencer site and Blackjack's.
Wounded Ronin
Bumping so I can still read that email address...
Kesh
QUOTE (Adam)
That's why the latest incarnation of the site has categories, so you can simply hit the Adventures category and get a list of all the adventures. I had someone volunteer to enter all the previous articles into the database, and he had to bail on it, though, so only the new stuff is categorized.

Hmmm. What would be involved in this? I wouldn't mind helping out, though it would probably have to be a weekends-only project for me.
Adam
QUOTE (Kesh)
Hmmm. What would be involved in this? I wouldn't mind helping out, though it would probably have to be a weekends-only project for me.

It's pretty easy, just time consuming -- you'll need to dig through all the back issues, note down the date of each issue's release, and all the article titles. Then, write a quick "Sell" blurb for each article, including a hyperlink to the actual HTML file on the server, basically in the format I've been using for the recent releases. Send that text file over to me [adamj AT dumpshock DOT com], and I'll feed it into our software.
Botch
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
Curse you stupid Japanese filtering software. Every now and then, Websense will decide it doesn't like DSF, but it's always 'changed it's mind' after a couple days. It's criteria for blocking English language pages seems pretty random.

Websense works by downloading an international database of permitted and filtered sites and pages and uploading user settings. I maintain one of these and keep uploading DSF references as permitted (eg. not an on-line game), somebody/ies else keep uploading DSF references as filtered. So for all you Websense users, DSF here today, gone tomorrow, ad naseum.
Ecclesiastes
Wow, right on. Thanks for the back-end support Botch. smile.gif
Shaudes29
I was lookign on teh shadowrun suplement web site and i see No place were just runs can be found. I gess thats what still needs to be done. Are there plans to sort all the articels?

Archittypes
Corps
Locals
Runs
Hosts
EQ

ex.

so we coudl more esaly find what we are looking for. What has teh decision been on the runs anyway. sending to suplement or seting up seperat site?
Adam
Look under "Categories" on the right hand side for the various categories as they stand now ... none of the adventures we've previously published have been put into the blog system yet, but they're still available to download on the Downloads/Back Issues page.
Ecclesiastes
Well hey... with the way TSS is getting put together now, why not just have people submit their runs there? Why build a whole new site?
FrostyNSO
Way to go, Botch!
Jrayjoker
Can we make a run against the offending party for you Botch.
Wounded Ronin
So...I can't find a modules section on TSS. Where are they? indifferent.gif
Kanada Ten
Look under "Categories" on the right hand side for the various categories as they stand now ... none of the adventures we've previously published have been put into the blog system yet, but they're still available to download on the Downloads/Back Issues page.

Categories
    * General (5)
    * News (3)
    * Releases (7)
    -------
    o Rules (1)
    o Original Issues (2)
    o Source Material (3)
    o Essays (1)

I imagine the plan is to have "Adventures", "Places to Go, People to See", "The Cluttered Datastore" and so on in that list.
Wounded Ronin
Aha, okay. So the idea is that it would be added in the future. Thanks for explaining to me. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012