Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What race do you play?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
fistandantilus4.0
Just spent some time looking over the post about Racial priorities, and how the cost for different races reflects the racial demographics. Or at least how the developers think they should be. Interested in seeing just how accurate those are.

Also, feel free to list anything in the "Other" category you may have played as.
Kagetenshi
Almost always human. Occasionally a human Otaku.

~J
Wounded Ronin
Always human. Almost, anyway.
U_Fester
85% Human
10% Dwarf
05% Other
Cray74
I usually play a human, mostly in a reaction to an endless series of metahuman characters IMG some years ago.
Jrayjoker
Dwarf, usually. And usually as a decker. Yeah, that was me that voted dwarf.
fistandantilus4.0
So U-Fester, what was the "other"?
Garland
I usually never get to play... just GM. But the one time I actually got to play, my character was an elf.
RangerJoe
When I'm not playing a human, I go ork.
Ecclesiastes
I play Human and Ork most of the time, but lately have been on an Ork kick, so that got my vote. Secondly I go with Elf, with Dwarf and Troll taking up the rear. Though, I have played every race at least once and several of the Meta Varients.
Lindt
Always wanted a free spirit as a PC....
Backgammon
I just find it a little harder to identify to non-human characters, or when making a character it's usually inspired by something, be it movie, book, or whatnot, and those don't have metahumans.
Herald of Verjigorm
Anything but ghoul. I had some fun with a force 3 free thought form, but I haven't found many GMs who would consider accepting it. And it was so close to getting force 4...
U_Fester
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
So U-Fester, what was the "other"?

The two "other" was a Troll and an Orc.
James McMurray
I usually play human shamen. I'd play a dwarven shaman if the game was one that called for as much min-maxing as I could squeeze out, unless it was destined to be a long term game where the 1:10 karma ratio would really come into play.

If I wasn't playing a shaman I'd go with Troll or Dwarf. They're just both incredibly beefy for combat types (I'll probably never play a techie or a decker, they just don't appeal to me).
Buck Satan
I almost always play a human. I guess I am rather simple but I like being able to have more skill and attribute points at Character Creation.
CanvasBack
In the last year I've played two trolls, one ork, and two humans. Lately I'm playing a human, but I went with troll because I actually played them longer.
Mark McCrea
Characters Played 1 ghoul, 1 troll physad
Characters made:
3 ghoul (one of the elves and the human were ghouls)
1 troll (phys ad with 14 str, 12 bod)
4 elf
1 human

It some moderately bad penalties to try to play as a ghoul, but I liked the idea of living in the shattergraves for one of my squatter or similar residences, and worked on a line of characters with that thought in mind. This no longer works with what happened there more recently, so now there are some elven gun bunnies in the works.

Currently thought the ghoul is a phys ad, and aspected shaman sorcerer of Spider.

I like to make characters that most people find vaguelly disturbing. In a good gaming session my IC habits can make atleast 3 occurences where the seating arrangement at the table shifts slightly away from my current position.

----------
Just a random thought for the day. cyber.gif
Cynic project
I play humans the most. I would say that time I thought of ,or have played elves and orks.

But I wouldn't play Troll or Dwarves.
iPad
Technically 3 humans in SR. But only one of my characters really count, who was a human.

ED though I'm working through all the different races, only Ork, Windling and T'skrang to go.
MYST1C
So far I've only played humans. I've had concepts for metahuman characters (mostly orcs) but they were never fleshed out and used.

I tend to focus on the Cyberpunk side of SR both as a player and a GM - so the Fantasy aspect (magic and metahumans) is rather toned down in my games.
FrostyNSO
I am almost always human. Never a troll, dwarf or ork, but played an elf once.
Daishi
My characters are most commonly human, but not as a majority rule. I tend to play about 1 in 3 humans, and split the rest somewhat evenly. I've used several metavariants quite happily, and a couple ghouls that went well. But never an Otaku or shapeshifter. The first is unlikely to change, but the second is always a thought.
Crimson Jack
If I could play, rather than GM all the time, I'd play more than just my one guy... a wakyambi.
FrostyNSO
Dude, GMing doesn't mean you can't "play". Sure, you know what's around every corner, but your character sure doesn't. GMing for me has been the chance to try out new and different character concepts on a regular basis....though mostly humans smile.gif
JaronK
I bounce around a lot... not enough to say which I commonly play. 1 elf otaku, 1 dwarf decker, 1 dwarf rigger, 1 troll street sam, 1 orc bow adept, 1 human cat shaman, 1 human B&E adept, 1 elf ex-covert ops agent, 1 gnome bat shaman, 1 eagle shapeshifter shaman, 1 tiger shapeshifter adept, 1 troll ghoul adept... all over the map.

JaronK
Crimson Jack
Heh, that's what I mean by 'play'... not knowing all the angles. I've been GMing for 15 years now, so believe me, I do understand about how to play with the NPCs and all-around badass nasties that I throw at my group. However, it is quite a bit more fun IMO, when I get to be on the other side of the screen. wink.gif
FrostyNSO
I dunno, maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who can 'turn it off' when I hop into a character. Sometimes I forget what's in store (that's why I keep notes), and stumble right into my own trap.

This could be a side-effect to trying to manage so many players at once, forgetting things.

I like to play inept, but lucky characters, which works great for what i do.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Backgammon)
I just find it a little harder to identify to non-human characters, or when making a character it's usually inspired by something, be it movie, book, or whatnot, and those don't have metahumans.

These are my reasons for playing human characters as well (although with emphasis on the first one).

Weird how this poll is going. It seems like I always end up the only player with a human character.
Fortune
Barring a conflict in with a specific character's concept and/or background, I tend to play elves in long-term or high-Karma games, and humans in one-offs.

I dislike the idea of playing a trog of any kind, and dwarves just leave me cold.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jan 18 2005, 03:16 PM)

These are my reasons for playing human characters as well (although with emphasis on the first one).

Weird how this poll is going. It seems like I always end up the only player with a human character.

Double ditto.
Jonah
Mostly human....currently trying out a SURGED Satyr (so as to be more horse like than goat) Sharman. Also tried a Drake...hehe
Moonstone Spider
Hmm, Humans make perhaps a quarter of my characters, at best. Most often I play Orks or Dwarves because nobody else is playing them and I want to be different. While I like playing Shapeshifters, you have to have the right GM for that kind of work, with a GM who's more interested in killing players than working with them for an interesting story a Shapeshifter seems to always die an early death before I can get the Karma to get around their disadvantages.
U_Fester
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Dude, GMing doesn't mean you can't "play". Sure, you know what's around every corner, but your character sure doesn't. GMing for me has been the chance to try out new and different character concepts on a regular basis....though mostly humans smile.gif

This is a very good point. I GM as well as another in our group. I will run my character in my game that I created for the others GM. You just have to play it carefuly. I can't imagine not doing this, because it is fun as well as a mystery on how the game is going to turn. The GMs character interaction can really turn a game on a dime or charge through the problem head on, just like any other PC would.
fistandantilus4.0
I like the SURGEd Satyr. Very interesting. Any others that are a bit out there?
Foreigner
In the campaign in which I'm currently playing (Sahandrian's PB-AOL-IM campaign, although we haven't played in months), my character is ostensibly human (i.e., no pointed ears or other obviously Metahuman physical characteristics), but he has some Elf blood (possibly an I.E. variant of a "spike baby") in his family background. I'm not certain if it's I.E. blood, but the GM/Sahandrian has alluded that he MIGHT be as much as 200 to 300 years old-- although I personally think he's quite a bit younger than that. Essentially, he's a several-generations-removed descendant of an Immortal Elf who married into a human family. (I'd like to think that he's related to Harlequin, Ehran, or one of the other really famous I.E.'s, but I realize that that would just be asking for trouble. Just imagine what would happen to a PC who was Harlequin's, Ehran's, or Lugh Surehand's (to name but a few) long-lost child? His/her lifespan would be measured in milliseconds once his/her secret got out.)

If that sounds a little weird (okay, it IS weird, and more than a little smile.gif), but that was the only way that Sahandrian could account for a character with such a high level of power at the start of the campaign having no Shadowrunning skills whatsoever, as well as no Karma points. smile.gif

--Foreigner
kevyn668
Wasn't there a poll a while back that was identical to this? With the same results?
fistandantilus4.0
Dunno. iwasn't here a while ago. But I was curious. Mostly wanted to see what people came p with for "other" really.
kevyn668
S'cool, chummer. I wasn't bustin' your chops. smile.gif
Grinder
50% Elf, rest split equal among ork and human. My actual character is a human face, a 40-year ex-cop.

In all my years i've seen only one ghoul (killed after the meeting with the johnson when the other runners checked him astrally and saw he was a ghoul) and two shapeshifters (both died rolling a 1(?) at regenration and so being unable to heal their damage).
Zolhex
Currently my stable of characters list:
3 Dwarf
3 Troll
3 Ork
3 Elf
3 Human

Yes that is 15 characters I have available to play with 3 more in production. Why you may ask what can I say I like to be prepared. Also as you can see I try to stay even I'm none too picky so long as I get to play and that does not happen often.
Birdy
Humans. Occassionally when I feel really crazy I play a human. Or maybe a human.

Nonhumans are Monsters! Help Save the Earth! Support Humanis NOW!

Birdy
Grinder
Who voted for Ghoul? How long did the character survive?
Canid13
deleted duplicate post
Canid13
I've mainly played Humans, although I have written Orks and Trolls for use in case of Sudden Infantry Death Syndrome. I'm currently running a human wolf shaman, and have a stable of a human wolf's way adept, a human Drake and a SURGE'd Giant. I'm leaning towards the giant at the moment, because I think he'll be fun to play.

I wouldn't consider playing a dwarf or an elf, mainly cos they do nothing for me and are incredibly powergamish in my opinion, although that's mainly from other games :o)
U_Fester
QUOTE (Birdy)
Nonhumans are Monsters! Help Save the Earth! Support Humanis NOW!

Death to the Abominations of GOD!
Botch
Mostly trolls (inc variants) if not then Wakyambi or very occasionally human, oddly I've never played a street sam.
Da9iel
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Just spent some time looking over the post about Racial priorities, and how the cost for different races reflects the racial demographics. Or at least how the developers think they should be. Interested in seeing just how accurate those are.

You do realize that public demographics and the demographics of shadowrunners not only could be different but would assumedly be different, don't you? Checking demographics against shadowrunners is like assuming that women vastly outnumber men because my elementary school's teachers were over 3/4 women.
Spark
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Currently my stable of characters list:
3 Dwarf
3 Troll
3 Ork
3 Elf
3 Human

Yes that is 15 characters I have available to play with 3 more in production. Why you may ask what can I say I like to be prepared. Also as you can see I try to stay even I'm none too picky so long as I get to play and that does not happen often.

You think that's alot? Try 386 characters, all different except some cyberware, which you can't help repeating anyways. 60% Human and 30% troll/ork, the rest is dwarves with one or two elves mixed in.
Spark
QUOTE (Botch)
Mostly trolls (inc variants) if not then Wakyambi or very occasionally human, oddly I've never played a street sam.

Dude, I love samurai, 17 + 6-7 D6 baby, or just 16+6D6 without using a drug like cram. I love that stuff! eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012