Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coolest SR type Movie/Video Game/Book Character(s)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
kevyn668
Just curious.

I didn't have the enough slots for "that guy from Equilibrium" or "The Alias Spy," or "the gunsliger from the Dark Tower books" so feel free to post that if you want. Or anything else, for that matter.
Kagetenshi
Snake Eyes. Totally.

Also 7332 from The Iron Dragon's Daughter. A combination Deus/Lofwyr.

~J
ShortBusFury
The bellhop from 'Four Rooms'... he completed all of his jobs, got paid more than he lost, got laid by a witch, and didn't die. cool.gif
toturi
Solid Snake.
FrostyNSO
If Ash is referring to 'Evil Dead' 'Army of Darkness' Ash, then he's my vote.

If you can't throw a good one-liner, you don't deserve to whoop anyone's a$$.
MYST1C
I voted for Solid Snake but only because Sam Fisher ("Splinter Cell") was not an option.
Joe Outside
I'm rather fond of my overall backup character (and that's all I'll say about that), but Shapcano's Owen Glendower comes a close second.
Jrayjoker
I voted other. I like Owen a lot too, but I gotta vote for Lug and Hammon from Shap's Lost Boys stuff.
Kyuhan
I always wondered what Owen's character sheet would look like...
Jrayjoker
76 levels of initiation and all the powers of the rainbow.

Actually, IIRC there is no character sheet for Owen. He is purely a character in the stories, never a PC.
kevyn668
You forgot the Orbital Grown Crystal knife and the squirt gun that looks like a silenced .22 from 1935. smile.gif
Jrayjoker
They are cool, but Lug and Hammon are down and dirty pros, not Immortal young masters.
nezumi
I feel bad, the only guys I really could even describe were Ash, the Boondock Saints guys and Snake Eyes. Alright, just Ash and the Boondock Saints.
Tziluthi
I dunno. There are so many different types of SRs, they really defy definiton. I guess solid snake for covert ops guys, maybe the minigun wielding bloke from Predator for Merc/Samurai types. Not to mention various characters from Gibson stories, as well as the Matrix and so forth.

So, what music do you guys listen to when you're playing SR? biggrin.gif
Mr. Man
There's a rumor going around that the new GI Joe comics are going to get axed, so last night I checked out the publisher's forums to see if there were more details. Among the messages I read was one by a fan who facetiously speculated that Snake Eyes might get killed off.

Now it's ridiculous, but reading that out of the blue was kind of shocking to me. I suddenly knew how a devout catholic would feel if someone were to speculate that the pope might be assassinated. My first thought was "That can't happen" -- as if the guy had insisted he could reverse gravity instead of jokingly suggesting that a comic book character might get killed. How ridiculous is that? We live in a world where Superman can be killed to sell comics!

While I do buy the comics, I don't consider myself much of a GI Joe fan. And while Snake Eyes is cool and all, these days I'm into more cerebral characters. It's weird how things from your youth stick with you though, isn't it?
U_Fester
QUOTE (ShortBusFury)
The bellhop from 'Four Rooms'... he completed all of his jobs, got paid more than he lost, got laid by a witch, and didn't die. cool.gif

eek.gif GREAT POINT eek.gif
Garland
Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China.

With Kazuki Fuse from Jin Roh in a less humorous second place.
U_Fester
Batman:
He is dark, runs the shadows, gets the job completed no matter what, and through it all still is able to hide away each morning without anyone the wiser on who he really is.
nezumi
Hmm... I think I'll toss my chips in with the Jack Burton/Ash character (lets be honest, they really aren't THAT different, if you ignore the chainsaw hand).

I don't know about Batman. Shadowrunners gotta lose SOMETIMES. Batman doesn't do that. He can't lose. It's like the law of gravity or something.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Garland)
Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China.

With Kazuki Fuse from Jin Roh in a less humorous second place.

I can't believe I forgot Jack Burton! I guess that's what happens when I get drunk and decide to make a poll.

Garland
The reason I like Jack Burton is because he's very clearly in way over his head, and I feel that's an important characteristic for SR characters.

And Constable Fuse... well, he's got the other important characteristic: the willingness to do a terrible thing and the humanity to understand what he's doing.

edit: Better articulating my thought.
kevyn668
I like Jack b/c he has some of the best one liners I'd ever heard. smile.gif
FrostyNSO
Damn! I forgot all about Jack Burton.
Crimson Jack
Heh, it was nice to see Snake Eyes on the list. Go Snakey!
Club
QUOTE (kevyn668)
You forgot the Orbital Grown Crystal knife

If anyone is interrested, they reprinted the Sten books in the UK. He, by the way, gets my vote, even if he only has a single peice of cyber
Chance359
Harley Stone from Split Second.
Lycanthropic Dreaming
Jayne from Firefly.

As described in the truly classic episode "Jaynestown", he is :

The box-dropping, man-ape-gone-wrong-thing.
U_Fester
QUOTE (nezumi)
I don't know about Batman. Shadowrunners gotta lose SOMETIMES. Batman doesn't do that. He can't lose. It's like the law of gravity or something.

Batman has lost on more than one occasion. To was crippled for a year, lost a robin, and more than one criminal has gotten away.
Cakeman
Raven from Snowcrash. *Really* tough guy working for a corporate boss. Beats silly little Hiro any day, and (almost) gets the girl. My hero!
James McMurray
Keyser Soze / Verbal from The Usual Suspects. He gets others to risk their asses to get the job done, then walks away despite being detained and questioned.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Cakeman)
Raven from Snowcrash. *Really* tough guy working for a corporate boss. Beats silly little Hiro any day, and (almost) gets the girl. My hero!

Oh, but Hiro is the roxor of the computer.

trouble, from trouble and her friends.

Hiro and Raven are good.
psykotisk_overlegen
MacGyver, I mean, if you're that resourcefull there's just no stopping you is there. Not to mention his great hair, splendid knowledge of anything science and his way with people.
Can anyone else stop an armed guerilla-camp with nothing but a penknife and a fire-extinguisher?
Crimsondude 2.0
But give him a bending straw, paperclip and rubber band and he just blinds himself.

Any Steves in here?
Club
As a fixer, Calculator from the Identity Crisis Comic

And batman lost another Robin lately
Crimsondude 2.0
The first time is an accident. The second time is happenstance. The third time is enemy action.
DrJest
Loads of my faves already mentioned, so... Three words.

Streets of Fire smile.gif
Club
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jan 20 2005, 07:04 PM)
The first time is an accident. The second time is happenstance. The third time is enemy action.

Batgirl I and Batwoman died back in the '60s or '70s. Batgirl II is stuck in a wheelchair. I'm not sure what happened to Azarel, but Orpheous (SP?) got his neck slit. Of 4 Robins, #2 & #4 are dead, and #3 lost his father. Jim Gordon lost 2 wives, and spent time in the hospital.

I'd say Batman has a history of being careless with his partners. Also a Black Mask has united the gothem underworld, and it is entirely because of Batfreak's actions.

For a better comic Shadowrunner, look at Hitman, from a few years ago. Mage with a limited (Mind probe, clarvoyance) number of spells. Ends the series all ****** up, which is why he doesn't get my vote for being a cool shadowrunner, but he is a pro, and even has ethics.
Foreigner
(Crimsondude 2.0)

Auric Goldfinger, 1959. smile.gif

(The movie was released in 1964.)

Although I seem to remember it differently. eek.gif

I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time, either wobble.gif ), but I thought it was:

"The first time is happenstance. The second, coincidence. Third time is enemy action."

OTOH, I might be quoting a different source.... smile.gif

psykotisk_overlegen, Crimsondude 2.0:

I liked MacGyver until Richard Dean Anderson's personal views on certain issues began to color the show.

I mean, doesn't it sound a little hypocritical for a guy to ABHOR firearms, and yet at the same time, he doesn't have any qualms whatsoever about using an explosive device made with common household chemicals to accomplish his objective, whatever that may be?

--Foreigner
Crimsondude 2.0
I was referring to another movie, but it was still probably wrong.

And it was a joke from Family Guy about MacGuyver.
U_Fester
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen)
MacGyver, I mean, if you're that resourcefull there's just no stopping you is there. Not to mention his great hair, splendid knowledge of anything science and his way with people.
Can anyone else stop an armed guerilla-camp with nothing but a penknife and a fire-extinguisher?

ALL HAIL MAC!!!!!!
Dax
Stewie Griffion.
nezumi
QUOTE (Cakeman)

Yeah, except the girl was 15.

Raven makes for a very cool bad guy, but I think he's a bit overpowered for a runner (I mean the nuclear warhead really pushes it over the edge.)
Jrayjoker
But the backstory supported him having it :player whines to GM:

I say if you want to take nuyen.gif 1,000,000 then you can get a surpluss nuke and a sidecar in my games, not!

But he was cool, and with Alcohol aresting his development he probably was only 15 mentally.
ShortBusFury
Keyser Soze / Verbal from The Usual Suspects. He gets others to risk their asses to get the job done, then walks away despite being detained and questioned.

Aye, Verbal was definately the epitamy of what a Mr.Johnson should be. nuyen.gif
Jrayjoker
Will Smith in Independence Day. Kicking the shit out of an alien in the parachute.

"And here I am draggin' you r smelly ass through the destert!" Kick, kick.
Crimsondude 2.0
I don't know. Kobayashi seems like at least a protypical J, which would make him the epitome of a J as far as I'm concerned. My problem with Verbal/Soze as a J is simply, How many J's put themselves in a position to get kneed in the marbles?
Garland
Only the really, really good ones?

edit: But yeah, following the idea that Mr. J is just a middleman for secret corporate masters, Mr. Kobayashi is the Johnson, not Verbal/Soze.
Jrayjoker
Kobyashi was perfect as the Johnson. Very slick. I like the impression he gave of unflappability and disdain for the lower caste.

The Ex-cop (whatever his name was) was a perfect team leader in SR. Knows police proceedures, can negotiate. Very cool under pressure.
Crimsondude 2.0
Dean Keaton.
Jrayjoker
Howard Dean?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012