Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A wee bit of House Ruling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Brazila
I just wondered how other people handle some of the things we have house ruled on? Here are some things we have done.

Stun weapons/ The stun effect will only give +1TN penalty instead of +2.

Perm. Karma pool Burn/ Buying successes costs 1pt/success no matter how many are bought, and TN are lowered by -2/point still max of 8

Intiation/You have to wait Initiation grade*2 in weeks before you can initiate again.

The test made to get gear is made with the contacts appropriate skill (plus dice if it is higher lvl contact), the player's ettq skill can be used as complementary.

Karma spending/Anything that would normally cost karma(skills, attributes, spells etc.)that has a reduction to the cost always has a minimum cost of 1pt.

Foci Availability/The force rating will be added into all foci availability ratings.

Astral Quests/The number of astral quests that you can perform per month is equal to your intiation grade.

A few others that came up last night are the insane pimpedness of a shotgun and how impossible it is to do anything against a Doberman drone(no one on are team can even hurt one.)

And another big one we do is that karma pool come back after the run not scene. This helped keep PCs from getting insane too quickly and it also helped close the gap between more and less experienced runners.
Crimson Jack
Stun weapons/ The stun effect will only give +1TN penalty instead of +2.

That seems unduely gimpy, considering the whole point of why one would use a stun weapon to begin with.

Intiation/You have to wait Initiation grade*2 in weeks before you can initiate again.

Well, it takes a while to generate enough karma to bump one's initiate grade twice or more at higher levels, so I'd say this one pretty much only affects the low-end initiate. I don't see any harm with it, however I wonder why this is a house rule?

The test made to get gear is made with the contacts appropriate skill (plus dice if it is higher lvl contact), the player's ettq skill can be used as complementary.

I do things exactly the same way. I've read the reasoning on why the Etiquette skill is used, I just don't think it makes as much sense as this house rule.
Brazila
We tweeked stun weapons because they already do crazy dmg considering you only get half impact against them. We just found that they seemed really unbalanced.
Shaudes29
all you need is AV rounds and you can take out a doverman drone, the body on them is not much, punch threw the armor and thay are toste. Ever Hit a doverman dron with a lightning bold? Thay dont react well to then, not to mention the ammo cooking off.

---------------------------------------------

My house rule about atributes
time: New atribute rating cost in weeks
any number of atributes can be improved at once.
Needs to be role played out.

examples:

Taking etiqet and elucuqtion lessons (not the skill), getgin new wardrobes, make over for charisma
Weight lifting for strength
runing for body
martial arts for quikness
studding and logic puzzels for intelegenc
Phylosaphy and day to day problem solvign for wisdom

keeps players from advancing atributes to fast, to often
BitBasher
all you need is AV rounds and you can take out a doverman drone, the body on them is not much, punch threw the armor and thay are toste. Ever Hit a doverman dron with a lightning bold? Thay dont react well to then, not to mention the ammo cooking off.
Actually if memory serves a doberman is totally immune to a lightning bolt, or any other elemental manupiulation unless the force of the spell is more that twice it's armor rating. Elemental manipulations are not antivehicular nor armor piercing.
Crimson Jack
Taking etiqet and elucuqtion lessons (not the skill), getgin new wardrobes, make over for charisma
runing for body
martial arts for quikness
studding and logic puzzels for intelegenc
Phylosaphy and day to day problem solvign for wisdom

Taking etiquette and education lessons (not the skill), getting new wardrobes, make over for charisma
running for body
martial arts for quickness
studding and logic puzzles for intelligence
philosophy and day to day problem solving for wisdom

wink.gif

Yay for spell check!
GrinderTheTroll
Astral Quests/The number of astral quests that you can perform per month is equal to your intiation grade.

I used to get hung-up on this when I first played SR, but Astral Questing for new spells isn't the end-all-be-all of "free spells". Then I realized that you can have an infinite arsenal of spells but if you haven't improved the ability to take drain you've done little more than just add a tool to your utility belt, not to mention, you'd still need to pay for a spell to begin with since the AQ only reduces the amount of Karma you need to spend for it.

Factor in any wounds suffered by the AQ and IMO, it's no different than a runner spending a few days (or weeks) time tracking down that drek-hot sniper rifle, assault rifle or drone.

And another big one we do is that karma pool come back after the run not scene.  This helped keep PCs from getting insane too quickly and it also helped close the gap between more and less experienced runners.

So you are undoing what Karma Pool represents, "the gap between experience". It still takes ALOT of pool to make 6 re-rolls (21-dice), so even at 100-Karma, you pool isn't a breaker IMO. Your restriction is a bit steep for my tastes.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

(Emphasis mine.) Spell check seems to have failed you.
lorthazar
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

(Emphasis mine.) Spell check seems to have failed you.

I don't know, if a player could convince me there was a feasible way that studding would increase intelligence I would halve the karma cost.
GrinderTheTroll
Yay for spell check!

I don't normally bash folks in open-forums, but you've hit on why I refuse to reply to anything posted with such horrible spelling and grammer. If you can't take the time to atleast attempt to spellcheck it or proofread it then I won't waste my time in trying to decypher it.
Crimson Jack
I didn't mean to sound harsh on the guy. That's why I gave him the wink. wink.gif

Actually, I found the "studding" slip a bit funny myself. biggrin.gif
GrinderTheTroll
Oh I'm not snubbing him for a simple typo...

*waves hand like some Jedi*

"...this is not type example you are looking for..."
Aku
especially since studding is, in fact a word, and wouldn't have been caught by the spell checker.

and infact int he making of this post i checked, and it wasn't, the only things it brought up was my lack of ability to put " ' " in my contractions. oh well, it's the internet.
Jrayjoker
Boy, the spellchecker missed that one too! wink.gif
Shaudes29
sorry been having problems using the forums spell checker. It just comes up a black screen. So any way this should be a better post. I am one of the worlds worse spellers at any rate. vegm.gif
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jan 24 2005, 02:01 PM)
So you are undoing what Karma Pool represents, "the gap between experience".  It still takes ALOT of pool to make 6 re-rolls (21-dice), so even at 100-Karma, you pool isn't a breaker IMO.  Your restriction is a bit steep for my tastes.

3 karma pool is enough for a way of the gun adept to waste just about anyone. Reroll the surprise test once, reroll your first shot once, reroll your second shot once. Since your opponent(s) should be combat pool-less against your attack, this even has a decent chance of wasting two opponents.

Unless the GM is throwing large groups of foes at a moderately experienced team of runners (30-50 karma) not having the thought of "I may need this later and later may be too soon" makes karma use a very easy decision since they are better off neutralizing this particular challenge quickly and possibly lying low for a short time until their pool refreshes. At higher karma levels, fast refresh periods mean that the only foes that are really threatening are the ones that are out-and-out overpowered.

Basically, I think it is nice if challenges during legwork actually have an impact on the performance of the team when they're running.
Cynic project
And you know sometimes you just don't need to reroll. Sometimes wasting all your karma on the first people you see, will lead you to an early grave.After all you don't always see the best gaurds at the "front gate".
Cynic project
QUOTE (Brazila)

And another big one we do is that karma pool come back after the run not scene. This helped keep PCs from getting insane too quickly and it also helped close the gap between more and less experienced runners.

Well, how much karma do give your players? I mean I have seen a lot karma given out in game, but they tend to be on the scale of at most 20-30 karma a month. Those were insane times and the team was tight.

Okay, So you don't like the players having a lot of Karma.That's cool. But the idea that you should some how use the idea that a run is some how a time frame is a bit silly. I have seen runs that lasted an half hour,I have seen others that lasted months. You could do something along the lines of a day,or some how based on getting a good night's sleep or getting into the zone again. But the run being a set time frame is a bit odd.
iPad

Nah, I see most contacts as people you simply know. If the contact is appropiate for the gear your ettiquette test is a sign of how well you persuade him to call in favours, hassle their contacts or heaven forbid break the law or possibly get fired from their jobs. The rules work man.

http://212.67.202.74/~madg/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152

This is our groups house rules.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jan 24 2005, 02:01 PM)
So you are undoing what Karma Pool represents, "the gap between experience".  It still takes ALOT of pool to make 6 re-rolls (21-dice), so even at 100-Karma, you pool isn't a breaker IMO.  Your restriction is a bit steep for my tastes.

3 karma pool is enough for a way of the gun adept to waste just about anyone. Reroll the surprise test once, reroll your first shot once, reroll your second shot once. Since your opponent(s) should be combat pool-less against your attack, this even has a decent chance of wasting two opponents.

Unless the GM is throwing large groups of foes at a moderately experienced team of runners (30-50 karma) not having the thought of "I may need this later and later may be too soon" makes karma use a very easy decision since they are better off neutralizing this particular challenge quickly and possibly lying low for a short time until their pool refreshes. At higher karma levels, fast refresh periods mean that the only foes that are really threatening are the ones that are out-and-out overpowered.

Basically, I think it is nice if challenges during legwork actually have an impact on the performance of the team when they're running.

I still don't see this a problem. My current group has 9 KP on average, and re-rolling only gives you a chance to do better its not guaranteed. I've seen the re-roll come out worse the 2nd time plenty of times. Even my 9KP players would only have enough KP to re-roll each of those 3-rolls you mentioned a 2nd time.

To each his own, do what works for you and your players.
BitBasher
...and re-rolling only gives you a chance to do better its not guaranteed. I've seen the re-roll come out worse the 2nd time plenty of times.
Ummm, how is that possible? Rerolling by the rules only rerolls the failed dice on any given test, making it really impossible to come out worse from a reroll, you can only get better, or worst case scenario stay the same since you keep all the sucesses you previously rolled.
GrinderTheTroll
Yeah that came out wrong. I should've said that it's possible for the roll not to be any better than the initial roll.
Kagetenshi
To some degree it is worse, because you're stuck at the same point but you now have one less karma pool.

~J
Kanada Ten
What happens if you rolled no successes and then re-roll all ones?
GrinderTheTroll
HAHA! Now I'd call that karma.
Fortune
QUOTE (Shaudes29)
sorry been having problems using the forums spell checker. It just comes up a black screen.

Try letting the pop-up open fully, then shut it down and try again. In the past I've had problems where spyware diverts the pop-up the first time it is used, but after that it works fine.
hahnsoo
We also do the "Karma Pool refreshes only at the start of a run" house rule (i.e. once per session). It really is a matter of playing style... if you refresh at every scene, you can do some pretty superhuman things, especially when magic is involved, and it encourages a "smoke it if you got it" mentality. If you have it refresh only once during the run, it's more of a resource management and "save your hoop" issue. It also shortens the gap a bit between high Karma and low Karma characters. Frankly, I can see how both would be fun to play, but our group goes with the latter... I think the general consensus in our playing group is that Karma Pool would be too powerful if it refreshed at every scene (they are always balance-minded), and they also tend to be "planners and thinkers" when it comes to running... a good run is a run where one doesn't use up any Pool, but that's just them.

We also have extensive Called Shot house rules, but only because we actually care about that sort of crap. I really don't suggest for anyone to try coming up with a Called Shot system, because it's a major pain in the butt.

I think the most enjoyable house rule we have is the "Karma!" rule. If everyone at the table was entertained by an In Character action or comment, then everyone shouts "Karma!" and that character gets a Karma point. It's a sign of affirmation and I always love a good laugh.
DarkShade
we used to have an extensive called shots system, which got discontinued after people started using lots of grenades..
atm, we have houseruled just the gun creation rules, the vehicle creation rules, the surprise rules, the character generation rules, are seriously thinking of going back to sr2 initiative system, and seriously reworking/streamlining vehicle combat, sensor, etc rules and close combat rules..
ranged combat rules seem fine though.. we have to leave *something* canon.. nyahnyah.gif

DS
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Cynic project)
And you know sometimes you just don't need to reroll. Sometimes wasting all your karma on the first people you see, will lead you to an early grave.After all you don't always see the best gaurds at the "front gate".

That's why I advocate having karma take a longer amount of time to refresh than every scene or 24 hours. If you're pool is down from some encounters in the legwork, you can't afford to reroll against the gate guard if you want to have any left when you really need it. If it has refreshed, you might be able to afford one reroll, especially on a surprise test.
iPad
I say leave it upto the GM, its an easy way turn up or turn the danger level of any scene.
thepatriot
QUOTE (Brazila)

I give Contacts the following associated Contact skills:

Acquisition (Specialty): Normal dice roll using this skill against availability code. Generic skill is primarily used, but specialty offers TN-1 for specialty items.

Availability: The availability of the contact himself (or herself). This is listed on the chcaracter's sheet, and applies to that character only. The target number is the contact's charisma+primary skill. More charismatic contacts will probably be busy, as will those with higher professional skill. When a contact is acquired, this 'skill' is equal to (PC Charisma+Contact level [ie: 1, 2, or 3]). Improvement using karma is standard (representing time spent with the contact), but without higher cost for exceeding attribute or racial maximum. Nuyen spent on improving this 'skill' (representing gifts and bribes) translates directly into karma for the purpose of improvement. The character rolls a number of dice equal to this 'skill' when attempting to contact the...er... contact.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Sorry, but you can only re-roll if you got at least one success. And, people should keep in mind that just because you have Karma, doesn't mean you should become a super hero and be able to get a ton of successes every time. Making 9 re-rolls in one game is still a lot of second chances or pumping the skill test a little more.

I have personally ran with Brazilla and this system works much better because the more experienced runners exceed start out characters at an exponential rate. If one runner dies...that player needs a new character and has trouble playing catch up if you don't regulate it a little better.
Kanada Ten
Sorry, but you can only re-roll if you got at least one success.

Interesting, I must have missed that change since before it was you could only buy a success if you got one, but one could reroll whenever.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Gilthanis @ Jan 27 2005, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Jan 24 2005, 07:19 PM)

Sorry, but you can only re-roll if you got at least one success. And, people should keep in mind that just because you have Karma, doesn't mean you should become a super hero and be able to get a ton of successes every time. Making 9 re-rolls in one game is still a lot of second chances or pumping the skill test a little more.

I have personally ran with Brazilla and this system works much better because the more experienced runners exceed start out characters at an exponential rate. If one runner dies...that player needs a new character and has trouble playing catch up if you don't regulate it a little better.

This is incorrect per SR3.246.

Karma Pool lets you re-roll (all) failures with the exception of all-1's. On the other hand, burning good Karma to generate successes does require atleast one prior success success.
Brazila
I have heard other people talk about burning good karma for successes, where is this at as I have never seen it?
paul_HArkonen
I always thought it was Karma pool you could burn that way (for successes) but reading, and rereading the rules doesn't really clear it up, its in the "use of Karma pool" section, but it says "may burn points of Karma for successes" or something like that, perhaps this is a job for the FAQ, or at least one of our resident experts. (perhaps it should be the reverse order though)
James McMurray
Its in the karma pool section, and refers to karma pool only.
Brazila
I thought it was karma pool only, but maybe I just assumed it that way, I will have to reread after work.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Gilthanis @ Jan 27 2005, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Jan 24 2005, 07:19 PM)

Karma Pool lets you re-roll (all) failures with the exception of all-1's. On the other hand, burning good Karma to generate successes does require atleast one prior success success.

Thanks Grinder....I had a brain-fart there for a second. You were right. Just ignore my previous comment on the re-rolling failures.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

As stated above in the thread, you can never burn Good Karma for permanently for gaining a success. All of the mentions of Karma in the Karma Pool section refer to Karma Pool only. The actual entry for Buying Successes reads as follows:

A player can purchase successes for his or her character by burning 1 Karma Point per success. In order for a character to burn Karma Pool in this manner, he must at least achieve one success on the test normally.  Karma Pool dice burned in this manner are gone forever

While particularly astute people may take the first mention of Karma Point out of context to mean any Karma point (Good or otherwise), previous entries in the Karma Pool rules refer to using Karma Pool as simply "spend 1 point of Karma" (Buying Additional Dice) and "Karma can help characters avoid..." (Avoiding an "Oops") and "For 1 point of Karma..." (Re-rolling Failures). Thus, the mention of Karma Point should be taken within the context of the section of rules it is under and refer to only Karma Pool.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
While particularly astute people may take the first mention of Karma Point out of context to mean any Karma point (Good or otherwise), previous entries in the Karma Pool rules refer to using Karma Pool as simply "spend 1 point of Karma" (Buying Additional Dice) and "Karma can help characters avoid..." (Avoiding an "Oops") and "For 1 point of Karma..." (Re-rolling Failures).  Thus, the mention of Karma Point should be taken within the context of the section of rules it is under and refer to only Karma Pool.

Wow a semi-flame, how quaint.

My reference to burning Good-karma spills from SR2, it's one of the many subtle changes that where made to SR3, or perhaps just a house ruling, I honestly can't remember.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Wow a semi-flame, how quaint.

My reference to burning Good-karma spills from SR2, it's one of the many subtle changes that where made to SR3, or perhaps just a house ruling, I honestly can't remember.

It wasn't meant as a flame, my sincerest apologies. I personally would NOT have written the rules like that, and I feel it is the fault of the writers and editors by having ambiguous language.

Burning Good Karma for successes is definitely a house rule, as I can't recall SR2 having that. In SR1 it was called Instant Karma and Karma.
thepatriot
After reading this thread for several days, I offer only a gentle shrug.

One rule that is very explicit in just about every game I have ever played (SR being no exception), it is plainly stated that the rules are just guidelines.

On the subject of Karma, I allow the use of either Good Karma or Karma Pool for re-rolling oblivious knowledge rolls or utterly botched active rolls. Only Karma Pool can be used for actives, though Good Karma or Karma Pool can be used for Knowledge. I do not give Good Karma back, but Karma Pool is always refreshed at the end of the session. As for Good Karma: it doesn't matter if they get any successes or not... if they use the point, it's gone. I consider this a good use of karma, but at the same time, I'm pretty liberal with the karma, though I tend to be stingy with the nuyen smile.gif

House rule? You betcha. My world. Mine. Mineminemineminemine! Gogogo! Outoutout! Mine!

cool.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (thepatriot)
One rule that is very explicit in just about every game I have ever played (SR being no exception), it is plainly stated that the rules are just guidelines.

Best point ever!
Da9iel
QUOTE (thepatriot)

Can I get a page reference for that? biggrin.gif
snowRaven
Hey GrinderTheTroll - I followed the link in your sig and I must say I haven't laughed this hard in a long time! That was excellent (and yes, I read the entire thing) - almost made me want to hunt down a copy of SoF... Thank you! rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012