Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand of God
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Senelif
How do you GM's handle the Hand of God rule in your games? In the past I have always gone by the book and allowed the players to have a single HoG instance that perm burns all Karma pool, and unallocated karma. The players are able to induce this ruling when they feel appropriate.

I wonder if anyone plays with HoG being at the GM's discretion . A good exapmle would be if you had a player who caused trouble for the rest of the group. If the HoG rule was only GM enforcable then this player could just be killed without a chance of redemption.

Another way could be for the GM to roll a die when the player wanted to invoke the rule, if it comes up 6, then the player is saved.

Or, maybe, the rule is disallowed altogether. What is everyone's take?
Fresno Bob
I run it as printed in the book...
kevyn668
I wonder if anyone plays with HoG being at the GM's discretion . A good exapmle would be if you had a player who caused trouble for the rest of the group. If the HoG rule was only GM enforcable then this player could just be killed without a chance of redemption.

That's not going to fly around here. You can't decide arbitrarialy who can use HoG and who can't. If you have a major prob w/ one of your players, you're going to have to bite the bullet and talk him or her OOC.

BitBasher
QUOTE (kevyn668)

That's not going to fly around here. You can't decide arbitrarialy who can use HoG and who can't. If you have a major prob w/ one of your players, you're going to have to bite the bullet and talk him or her OOC.

Amen, that;s one of the main hallmarks of someone that shouldn't be GMing a game.
Senelif
QUOTE (kevyn668)

Good point, I could see it causing a problem when implemented at GM discretion now that you mention the whole fairness element. As I said earlier, I've always just played it by the book.

Still, what about adding in the randomness factor, such as having to roll a six? It would make the HoG all that much more magnificent when it actually happens, and it would help eliminate metagamers from playing poorly by saying, "Hey, there's always Hand of God."

Honestly, most of the players I know are great and think about the game in a serious way, but there is always that one player who just goes balls out and tends to wreck the other player's plans (ususally playing a troll). I will probably just play it by the book, but I'm bored at work and trying to pass time, hence the thread.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Senelif)
Still, what about adding in the randomness factor, such as having to roll a six? It would make the HoG all that much more magnificent when it actually happens, and it would help eliminate metagamers from playing poorly by saying, "Hey, there's always Hand of God."

Good metagamers will avoid doing things to seriously put themselves in harm by doing math ahead of time. Hand of God is a brutal hit to your character, especially if you were saving up karma to do a high level initiation, bump up a high stat, or just about any of the other double digit things you can do with it. And there isn't always HoG, either. Read the rule carefully. Each character can only do it once. In my group if there was one reckless player who played that way because of the potential for HoG, he would use his HoG up really fast as another player or I would shoot him in the head.
kevyn668
There is always the HoG. But you only get to use it once per character, IIRC. IT comes at a hefty price, if you ask me. A price that is justified.

If you really have a problem with just one player, like I said, talk to him. Seriously. Especially if he's the one that is ruining the fun of the other players. If you let it go on for too long, eventually your players will try to "solve the problem" on thier own.

Good luck!

And welcome the 'Shock. smile.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
QUOTE (Senelif @ Jan 28 2005, 08:31 PM)

Good metagamers will avoid doing things to seriously put themselves in harm by doing math ahead of time. Hand of God is a brutal hit to your character, especially if you were saving up karma to do a high level initiation, bump up a high stat, or just about any of the other double digit things you can do with it. And there isn't always HoG, either. Read the rule carefully. Each character can only do it once. In my group if there was one reckless player who played that way because of the potential for HoG, he would use his HoG up really fast as another player or I would shoot him in the head.

That's what I meant by "solve the problem" on thier own. wink.gif

While I agree that it is an immensely rewarding feeling to waste another player that is a pain in the ass, it sets a bad precident...and onto the path of the Dark Side that act puts you. smile.gif
Senelif
QUOTE (ES_Riddle)

I understand that it can only be used a single time. I guess I could be a real bastard to the trouble characters by just killing them again immediatly after thier HoG invocation. Generally I find that a character is already at S or M before the death blow anyway, so even after the HoG they will still be rife for the slaughter. I hate to play like that, though.

I am hoping for the best with these new players, but I have a feeling that there will be issues with one in particular. He wanted to be a minotaur meta variant, but I had to say no to that. He ended up being a typical troll ganger tank type, which is fine. It bothers me when players go for a straight up power gaming stlye character, as I feel it really takes away a lot of possible depth from the character. It becomes not a character in a universe, but a series of numbers to be studied and analyzed.

I made an rule for my players that they had to write me a background for themselves and a bio for all of thier contacts to hopefully alieviate the lack of depth that power gamers tend to have.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (kevyn668)
While I agree that it is an immensely rewarding feeling to waste another player that is a pain in the ass, it sets a bad precident...and onto the path of the Dark Side that act puts you. smile.gif

On re-reading what I said and reading what you said in response, I feel compelled to clarify. My character or another player's character would waste the pita player's character. I generally will quit a group before I think about killing people...though boxing the pita player is sometimes really satisfying.
Crimson Jack
I run it straight out of the book. There've only been a couple of times that its even been necessary to use though.
kevyn668
I guess I could be a real bastard to the trouble characters by just killing them again immediatly after thier HoG invocation. Generally I find that a character is already at S or M before the death blow anyway, so even after the HoG they will still be rife for the slaughter. I hate to play like that, though.

No dude, you can't do that either. Its the same as telling him he can't HoG. If he happens to get in a bind a little down the road, well...that's a different story and you'd be right to not cut him any slack. But you shouldn't go gunning for a character.

I made an rule for my players that they had to write me a background for themselves and a bio for all of thier contacts to hopefully alieviate the lack of depth that power gamers tend to have.

Now you're on to something. You never know, he may write a good background.

Look, I'll level with you, in practice I'm a pretty half-assed GM but I have a lot of the theory down (much like I know how to do a backflip, I just can't do one). Keep hanging around DS and you learn volumes worth of stuff from the people that post here.
James McMurray
I run it straight ot of the book but its never happened yet.
James McMurray
kevyn668: He said he could, not that he wold. He even said he hated the idea. I think people are giving him less credit as a GM than he has shown. He has twice said that he didn't play i that way, and yet people keep telling him he's wrong for playing it that way.
Crimson Jack
So what's it called when a high-level enemy NPC skates out of certain death? Hand of Satan?
kevyn668
QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jan 28 2005, 08:47 PM)

On re-reading what I said and reading what you said in response, I feel compelled to clarify. My character or another player's character would waste the pita player's character. I generally will quit a group before I think about killing people...though boxing the pita player is sometimes really satisfying.

No. I understood you. I meant "character" as well. Its still not a good habit to get into. If you must do something in RL, I've found heavy doses of ridicule and the occasional thrown die or potato chip will work wonders. smile.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Jan 28 2005, 09:08 PM)
So what's it called when a high-level enemy NPC skates out of certain death?  Hand of Satan?

"GM Fait" wink.gif edit: So, yeah. Pretty much hand of Satan. biggrin.gif

(Which is also looked down upon.)
Kanada Ten
Why? All's fair in love and death. As far as I can tell, NPCs should use ALL the karma rules, including Hand of God.
Crimson Jack
That's it, I'm bringing back Janus Moriarty! My group will hate me. biggrin.gif
Senelif
QUOTE (kevyn668)
But you shouldn't go gunning for a character.

What about the situation where a character is an obvious magic user or Troll? If the players go up against any trained opponents, then they are going to try to kill these players first as they pose the greatest potential threat.

Think about as if you were in the game, you are a security guard and you are attacked by a gigantic troll (who looks like he could step on you if he wanted to), and a few other smaller meta variants. If the other assailents only looked to be a mundane threat, who would you go for? I for one would choose the gigantic ass kicking troll.

So in game, this Troll gets shot by a bunch of guards, and has to use HoG. Are you saying that I should just let him have a free ride through the rest of the combat? The way I see it, the guards are going to continue their assault until either they are dead or the troll is dead.

I understand that it is a game and everything, but where exactly is the line between realism and fun?
hahnsoo
The only situation which I would not allow HoG is if a character is in a situation that obviously would kill him, like being drawn and quartered or standing next to ground zero of a tactical nuke. And even then, I might allow them to HoG, in a cloned body with an experimental consciousness transfer by Universal Omnitech or something silly like that, if the player really really wanted to continue playing as that character.
kevyn668
QUOTE (James McMurray)
kevyn668: He said he could, not that he wold. He even said he hated the idea. I think people are giving him less credit as a GM than he has shown. He has twice said that he didn't play i that way, and yet people keep telling him he's wrong for playing it that way.

I thought I was being pretty nice. He did discuss killing a character b/c the character is a pain. I don't think he's a bad GM. He just had a bad idea. Hell, happens to me all the time.

Why? All's fair in love and death. As far as I can tell, NPCs should use ALL the karma rules, including Hand of God.

I was just teasin'. I think NPCs should make use of the HoG. They use cover, suppressing fire, and grenades. Why not HoG?
Senelif
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

I have, in fact, used HoG for NPC many times, especially if they were a major opponent or enemy to the group. Hell, I've even brought an NPC back from the dead with more power later on just to harass the players. What's great about being a GM is that you can bend the rules sometimes, you've just got to watch and see the reaction of the players to see how far is too far. The thing is, they don't know what's going on behind the screen, and they don't need to. Sometimes I may fudge a roll in their favor, but other times who knows...
kevyn668
(kevyn668)

But you shouldn't go gunning for a character.

What about the situation where a character is an obvious magic user or Troll? If the players go up against any trained opponents, then they are going to try to kill these players first as they pose the greatest potential threat.

I meant to say you shouldn't go gunning for a character b/c the player is an asshole.

So in game, this Troll gets shot by a bunch of guards, and has to use HoG. Are you saying that I should just let him have a free ride through the rest of the combat? The way I see it, the guards are going to continue their assault until either they are dead or the troll is dead.

That's legit. What I was saying is that you shouldn't make an example out of the character.

I understand that it is a game and everything, but where exactly is the line between realism and fun?

I guess that's up to you.

Senelif
QUOTE (kevyn668)
That's legit. What I was saying is that you shouldn't make an example out of the character.

I get what your saying, now. Even if I were to do this, though, I wouldn't make it seems like I was making an exapmle. The other players are all pretty good. Still, though, I would hope that player gets the message.
Fortune
So, why don't you just have a talk with the player in question?
Tanka
Never kill to send a message. Kill because that's what the killer would actually do.

You are the GM, you are the NPCs. You help make the game fun. So, if a player is taking away the fun, talk to them out of the game. If they still refuse, dock karma from their earnings. Give them bad reputation. Set the Star on them. Just don't kill them because that character is "unbalancing."

Remember, as a GM, you have the right to tell a player no. In fact, it's almost expected. Do that at chargen. Tell them "No way, Jose." Mark an "X" on the sheet. Do something. Don't just let it fly and then kill them off. They'll just make another PC like the last.

Not to mention it seriously pisses the player off.
Senelif
QUOTE (Fortune)

Trust me, everyone has tried this in the past. The problem is that none of the GM's he has played with in the past have backed up thier talks with real, in game, consequences. I'm not going to put up with any shenannigans from him for too long, so if he doesn't shape up in game, then his characters will just have a hard time surviving.
Tanka
QUOTE (Senelif)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 28 2005, 09:56 PM)

Trust me, everyone has tried this in the past. The problem is that none of the GM's he has played with in the past have backed up thier talks with real, in game, consequences. I'm not going to put up with any shenannigans from him for too long, so if he doesn't shape up in game, then his characters will just have a hard time surviving.

Take away toys through thievery. LOOK AT HIS SHEETS BEFORE HE PLAYS THE CHARACTER. Tell him "no."

There are lots of things you can do that don't involve killing the PC. Use those first.
Senelif
QUOTE (tanka)
Take away toys through thievery. LOOK AT HIS SHEETS BEFORE HE PLAYS THE CHARACTER. Tell him "no."

There are lots of things you can do that don't involve killing the PC. Use those first.

I don't think you understand. Its not a matter of his sheet, or his character per se, but how he plays. He is using the same rules to create his character as everyone else in the group, and is not unbalanced. He just plays his character stupidly and ruins everyone else's fun. I have already told him no about a lot of things, such as being a Minotaur. The fact is, if his character acts as stupid as all his past characters, then the NPC in my game will be quick to react. HoG can only help a thick skulled Troll ganger so much.
James McMurray

The HoG should remove him from the combat without killing him. Have DocWagon show up with a case of mistaken identity. Have a terrorist planted bomb go off and destroy the ceiling of the room creating a wall between the gaurds and the characters. Heck, have the hand of god itself reah down and grab the guy, carry him across town, and put him gently in his bed.

The HoG doesn't have to just be "that shot missed." IMO it shouldn't be just that. Because as you said, the enemy would just keep gunning for him. You have to make a situation where the enemy can't continue gunning for him. If you can do it without saving the rest of the team that's cool. If you can't, that's cool too.
James McMurray
Question: why is he still invited to game sessions if every GM has had problems with him and he doesn't listen to talks?
Senelif
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 28 2005, 10:25 PM)
Question: why is he still invited to game sessions if every GM has had problems with him and he doesn't listen to talks?

Good question, it just so happens that its his house we get to play at... eek.gif

Great ideas about HoG in that last post by the way... Thanks
Tanka
QUOTE (Senelif)

Good question, it just so happens that its his house we get to play at... eek.gif

So play somewhere else?
Senelif
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Senelif @ Jan 28 2005, 10:27 PM)

So play somewhere else?

If only things were so easy. Most of the people I play with live pretty far from me, but all close to each other. This kid happens to be a close friend, and he has a kid. So, if we moved he would no longer be able to play (because of the kid). This would not be so bad in game terms, but being a close friend to us all, it would be bad in terms of the friendships snubbing him like that.

That is to say there even is anywhere else to play. None of the other players have a place where we could gather, and I live far enough away that some of the good players would not drive out on a regular basis and the game would eventually dissolve.

That is why I am hoping that I can find ways to get this guy into shape. It would really suck for everyone if he cannot figure out how to control his character on an advanced level.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Senelif)
QUOTE (tanka @ Jan 28 2005, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Senelif @ Jan 28 2005, 10:27 PM)

So play somewhere else?

If only things were so easy. Most of the people I play with live pretty far from me, but all close to each other. This kid happens to be a close friend, and he has a kid. So, if we moved he would no longer be able to play (because of the kid). This would not be so bad in game terms, but being a close friend to us all, it would be bad in terms of the friendships snubbing him like that.

That is to say there even is anywhere else to play. None of the other players have a place where we could gather, and I live far enough away that some of the good players would not drive out on a regular basis and the game would eventually dissolve.

That is why I am hoping that I can find ways to get this guy into shape. It would really suck for everyone if he cannot figure out how to control his character on an advanced level.

I kinda suspected there was a strong out of game connection. I wish I had something clever to tell you here but I don't.
Lindt
Screw the hand of god. I wanna use the Hooper Nelson rule!
Tanka
QUOTE (Lindt)
Screw the hand of god. I wanna use the Hooper Nelson rule!

...Er...
Crimson Jack
Hmm, sounds like the player has you by the balls then. So no one is backing up the stricter... ahem, standard play mechanics of the game then because its this guy's house you're playing at? Feh, I would just run the game the way you see fit and if the bloke dies, so be it. Have him continue to make new characters while everyone else is progressing along. That'll get him to shape up after a while.

I actually wouldn't recommend the stealing of items thing. That isn't so different than singling the guy out for potshots from NPCs for no other reason than to "school his ass".

I had a player once who wasn't one of my regulars. He would come every fifth or sixth session, always had lost his character, always had to make a new one, always was a subtle pain in the ass. The kind of guy that had "lime-lightus" disease ("Hey, look at me everyone!"). No one liked his style of play, regardless of the fact that he was a mutual RL friend to everyone. Kind of a hard spot for everyone involved... didn't want to offend our friend, but also didn't like how he played consistantly.

So anyways, I throw a red herring element into a run once that involved two piasma. The core group veered away from the critters and continued on with the run, while the rebel gamer decided that his newly created physad could solo both of them at once. Everyone let him run off and do his own thing. Well, I swatted him off a cliff by one of the bears. Didn't kill him, but put him out of commission for the rest of the game. As it was, the event turned out to be a big wake-up call for the guy as he didn't get to play one of our cooler games. He just had to sit there, licking his wounds.
SirKodiak
So what's it called when a high-level enemy NPC skates out of certain death? Hand of Satan?

Considering that the PCs are typically thieves and murderers, if they still get the hand of God, I'd think the NPCs would too.

As for the poor player who you still want to let in, I've found that a good way to back up OOC discussions is to control the experience you give. Make them agree to things about how the character behaves when they're designing it, and if they don't basically follow it, then they don't get much, if any, karma for the run. And if the problem is that their characters always die because they play them badly, then start giving them less build points at character creation so that they have to start playing smart.

And sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and point out to the player that everyone but them is making a sacrifice to keep him in the group, and that he's abusing the friendship by breaking the game. The discussion has to be about more than just the rules, because if he's agreed to play by the rules and is breaking that promise, then that's about the friendship.
hahnsoo
*nods* You are going to have to have that discussion sooner or later, if you guys really want to stay friends. One way to facilitate this is to get the group together and have an open forum, asking what they want out of the game and what everyone can do to improve the game experience. That way, it's not just about that one person... it's about the whole group. GMs should do this anyway, because the best way to improve is to listen to your players, and feedback sessions are a must.
Senelif
Great ideas, thanks guys! I guess I'll see what happens this weekend. The way I see it, if this guy has to go through a couple characters before he "gets it", then so be it. I hate to say it but maybe this will just require a strict enforecment of rules and gameplay mechanics, at least concerning him or anyone else who act out of line too much.

The problem I see is that the players need to have freedom, so at the same time you have to try to corral them into situations that you set up for them, but let them feel as if they arrived there on their own accord. It is certainly a tricky thing to find that balance.

I know I've got it with about half my group, who I've GM'd for in the past, all the way up through the Arcology shutdown. Now, however, I've got about three people who I've played with plenty, but never GM'd for, so I will have to reassess my practices to fit in with this group's mannerisms.
Tanka
It never hurts to ask them if they had fun with the run. The worst response you'll get is "it sucked ass." Outside of that, you'll probably get positive responses or negatives with suggestions as to how to make them better.

However, for that guy, if you can resolve it without killing his PCs, do it. Show up early and have a chat with him about how he plays and how it's ruining the fun the others are having. Do something out of the game first, then in game if it cannot possibly be avoided.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Senelif)

Just put him to exactly 10 boxes and stable. It puts him down, and unless you manage a TPK (which should be a rare occurance if you're building runs well), then he should be just fine in a month.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012