Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Datajacks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Aku
ok, this is in reference for a character i'm making for here, and the rules GM has already told me his stance on the subject, but i just wanted to see what "all ya's" thought on the subject.

The character is gonna be a sorta tech geek--that is, a decker/rigger. In a mud i played, and now i have found out that these rules are from matrix, that a rigger that decks gets a couple of penelties to TN and hacking pool, and i had asked if theres anyway to bypass these. THe rules GM said that a reflex trigger will negate those penelties. I then inquired about a second datajack, as he explained the reason had something to do with the VCR taking over certain portions of the datajack used for rigging, so to me, it would seem like having a dedicated jack for rigging and one for decking would also bypass this. He concurred. cool.

do you agree? or have any other insight? and if you agree both work, is there any advantage one way over the other?
Kagetenshi
Ignoring the question of the penalty and bypassing it, two datajacks are always useful. For a tech-oriented character, I never run with less anymore.

~J
Aku
ignoreing the fact that im a newb can i ask how so? I've heard about running multiple things at once, but i cant get my head around say, rigging, and decking simultaneously...
Fix-it
you can install a reflex trigger = to the rating of your VCR to eliminate associated matrix penalties.
The White Dwarf
Ok, first off the reflex trigger doesnt have a rating, its just an addition to a VCR (same as the wired reflexes one). If you buy that, you can toggle the VCR on and off, and eliminate the related penalties for decking and rigging through a single datajack.

Second, theres not much of a reason to not just buy 2 datajacks instead. Same essence, less nuyen, more versatility. Really, if the guy is gonna be tech-heavy, Id get at least 2 datajacks. And yes, this will also eliminate any related penalites as long as you only use each jack for its specified purpose.

Third, while one character can be capable of both rigging and decking, its not advisable to do them both at one time. Im not even sure you can by canon tbh. But if it is youre looking at something stupid like +8tn to both, probably worse, which means that even if you find out you can its not something youll ever be doing. So I wouldnt even waste time looking it up and just forget about it.

Fourth, you can use multiple datajacks at once. Just not for rigging and decking. You could, for example, be decking with one jack and using the second to access a storage memory unit. Or be rigging and using the other to access map data. This is one reason Id consider getting a 3rd datajack if youre going insanely techy, think about how many things youll be using at once within reason and make sure it works. Never hurts to be able to leave a datajack-accessed smartgun hooked up while youre jacked in, eh. Just be sure that it is all connected via Routers if youre using those rules, otherwise the data cant be channeled around.
Kanada Ten
And remember, datajack ports don't have to be in the head.
akarenti
Also, Datajacks come with 3 free headware router connections. So 2 Datajacks allow you to transfer information between 5 other headware devices (assuming you use one connection to connect the two Datajacks). It's a little more essense heavy than a Router, but with all the above benefits, it deservess mentioning.
Necro Tech
Listen to White Dwarf. Think about everything you plan on doing at once and go from there. My tech nerd has 5 data jacks and three chip jacks plus a rating 8 router to keep his internal network running smoothly. Yes, I frequently max out my hardware.

Remember that multiple datajacks can be used for other characters. My sniper has three. Once for his communications (didn't want to waste internal space), one for the camera he leaves pointed behind him while sniping and the third either for his forward facing camera or skill jukebox. Data jack plus DNI is often waaaaay underutilized.
mfb
two datajacks will not solve the incompatibility issues involved in decking and VCRs. VCRs apparenly scramble your brain, or something, so that the mental impulses you use to deck come out all wacky. you need the reflex trigger to turn the VCR off, so that it doesn't do that. simply installing a second datajack won't do it, in 3rd ed, because it's not the datajack that's the problem.
Wireknight
Yeah. The "use a second datajack" concept was a holdover from Rigger 2. Rigger 3 and on require a reflex trigger for the VCR instead. I'm not entirely sure why they opted against the second datajack rule in the newer edition.
Necro Tech
Maybe they felt the reflex trigger was lonely and needed more diversity in its life, hence the VCR. I can see it now, "Reflex Trigger, not just for Samurai anymore."
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Aku)
ignoreing the fact that im a newb can i ask how so? I've heard about running multiple things at once, but i cant get my head around say, rigging, and decking simultaneously...

Rigging and decking without having to swap plugs. Jump out of one and into the other.

The White Dwarf: TN'd be +4 for Decking without RAS Override active, and another +4 or +8 for meatbody actions while rigging. Otherwise, you covered the extra uses.

~J
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Wireknight)
Yeah.  The "use a second datajack" concept was a holdover from Rigger 2.  Rigger 3 and on require a reflex trigger for the VCR instead.  I'm not entirely sure why they opted against the second datajack rule in the newer edition.

Me neither. To me, the second datajack solution was very simple and elegant. In my games, I use a hybrid. The player has to state what datajacks/routers/other headware their VCR is hooked into, and on those datajacks, or any other datajacks that share a connection path through routers/other headware, the penalty applies, unless the player uses a reflex trigger to turn off the VCR. If the character has a Datajack that's 'clean', that shares no connectivity with components hooked into the VCR, then they can use that datajack penalty free for decking.

This makes for some interesting cyberware installation questions. For example, there are a few things that headware memory can be useful for, with relation to Rigging, but if the Decker/Rigger wants to use headware memory for decking too, they have to get separate banks of memory put in, that don't cross-communicate with each other.

Of course the really hardcore Decker/Rigger Characters under this system will not only have a reflex trigger for the VCR, but also a pair of datajacks on both the "rigging" side of their headware, and the "decking" side, and a patch cable that they can run between datajacks on the two sides, for when they need connectivity between one side and the other.
The White Dwarf
Thanks for the actual values on the insane tn mods, not that anyone will be crazy enough to ever employ them =)

Got a page ref for the "2-datajacks-no-worky" for the vcr penalty? Im sure its correct jsut not something I use often and a ref be handy.

Glad my post was useful
Aku
That seems strange to me, onle because, if, in the conversion from sr2 to sr3 they decided to change it, i would think that there would be some mention of it somehow in SR3, but the onyl use for a reaction trigger is for the wired reflexes, nothing about the VCR.

if it was made in the conversion from Matrix 2- matrix 3, well, then what would the rule be if you had only 2 (or in my case, neither) but you knew that the REASON for the penelties was because the VCR took over part of the datajack's working, I would think the logical assumption would be then that a second jack would be useful to avoid the penelties.
mfb
there are a lot of changes between SR2 and SR3 that don't get explained in the main book. this is one of them.
Necro Tech
The VCR does not interfere with any datajacks. It intefers with your brains ability to receive high end ASIST signals. It tries to react to incoming stimuli making it hard to concentrate on decking. Since wire systems have no off button, a VCR intefers with decking like Wired III interfers with ones ability to react appropriately when surprised. It moves faster than you can think.
Aku
ahh, now that makes sense to me as an explanation (as i dont yet have matrix to see the actual rule) thanks everyone for the opinions/help.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
The VCR does not interfere with any datajacks. It intefers with your brains ability to receive high end ASIST signals.

Excepting of course the high end ASIST signals generated by the Control Rig and Control Deck themselves.

Sorry, I have trouble buying into this one. The bulk of the metal-to-meat connections for the control rig deal with hijacking the organic processing power of the lower brain. I just don't see a plausible mechanism for the Rig to cause brain wide systemic effects.
mfb
VCRs use ASIST differently from decking. with decking, ASIST goes directly to the higher brain; with rigging, the ASIST signals are automatically routed to the middle brain. if the VCR is active, it routes all incoming ASIST signals to the middle brain first, because that's where they need to go for rigging. when it's turned off with a reflex trigger, the ASIST signals go directly to the higher brain.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb)
VCRs use ASIST differently from decking. with decking, ASIST goes directly to the higher brain; with rigging, the ASIST signals are automatically routed to the middle brain. if the VCR is active, it routes all incoming ASIST signals to the middle brain first, because that's where they need to go for rigging.

So do you give your riggers any sorts of bonuses/penalties with regards to BTL addiction unless they use a reflex trigger to switch off their control rigs first?
mfb
no, because it can be assumed that, by default, ASIST signals are routed to the higher brain. VCRs are designed to alter that, which is why people with VCRs have trouble using ASIST for decking. VCRs change the default destination of ASIST signals; a reflex trigger resets that default.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb)
no, because it can be assumed that, by default, ASIST signals are routed to the higher brain. VCRs are designed to alter that, which is why people with VCRs have trouble using ASIST for decking. VCRs change the default destination of ASIST signals; a reflex trigger resets that default.

That's just it though. BTL Addiction rules assume the "default case" for how the brain processes an ASIST signal. If you come out and say that a certain piece of 'ware makes the brain handle every type of ASIST in a way different than "default" (unless you have a second piece of ware that lets you switch back to default) then realistically, you have to look at all the other types of ASIST and figure out what the impact would be.

Take the case of a rigger who has a control rig and no reflex trigger for turning it off. Under your explanation, because of the rig, all incoming ASIST is focused away from the higher brain, and more twoards the middle/lower brain. What happens when this rigger slots a BTL?

Since the ASIST signals from the BTL are now focused at lower portions of the brain, one would expect that they'd likely have a more potent effect, since things like heartrate, adrenaline production, overall state of the endocrine system, and the bulk of what goes into the "Emotive" tracks on the BTL, all reside in those same lower portions of the brain.

On the flip side, you can say that having the ASIST focused on the lower brain deadens the external sensory tracks of the BTL, which spoils the overall effect, but that doesn't take into account moodchip BTLs which are all emotive track, with no external sensory tracks at all.

And that's just BTLs. That's not even looking at the other common types of ASIST your typical runner may deal with, which is everything from skillwires to smartgun links. ASIST is more than just rigging and decking, so to try to explain why a control rig penalizes decking by saying it changes how the brain processes all ASIST without even stopping to consider the other types of ASIST leaves a lot of unanswered questions.
Kagetenshi
ASIST != Simsense.

Not that you don't have a point, but the BTL comparison is inaccurate.

~J
Slait
English Nazi Reply: As far as I know they are still discussing the plural of virus, and currently, viruses and virus are both acceptable
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
ASIST != Simsense.

Since when?
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jan 31 2005, 02:05 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 31 2005, 05:56 AM)
ASIST != Simsense.

Since when?

Since ASIST signals, as per the rules as written, are more like simsense shorthand. Only the largest ultraviolet hosts can possibly interpret or generate an entire simsense feed on-the-fly. Decks and hosts work by accessing the brain's own processing power to help it do its job. For instance, instead of actually drawing the shape of a ball in your visual field, the ASIST signal just says, "ball here," and the brain does the linking up and interpretation for you, putting a ball where a ball is supposed to be.

Most of the time this works just fine. You'd actually be surprised at how much of your current visual field is just your brain filling in blind spots without you ever noticing, or how much of your sense of touch is your brain interpolating between several distant sensory nerves. The VCR, however, mucks that all up because it completely changes the way ASIST signals are processed. When a person with an active VCR receives an ASIST signal, the VCR immediately hijacks the midbrain, using the midbrain's superior data coordination and reflexive processing to make minor adjustments to what the imaginary vehicle is doing. Of course in this case there is no vehicle, so the rigger's Icon just ends up jerking spastically.

This is all covered in the books. P. 18 and 29 Matrix and p. 26 Rigger 3
RunnerPaul
Artificial Sensory Induction System Technology (ASIST) hit the scene in 2018, introduced by Dr. Hosato Hikita of ESP Systems in Chicago. ASIST is a crucial component of simsense, which allows a person to experience something that happened or is happening to someone else.
p.58, Cannon Companon.

Bolding added for emphasis.
hahnsoo
Well, when Rigger 2 was first published, the multiple datajack answer was acceptable because datajacks did not connect to multiple devices under the rules laid out in Man and Machine... it was implied that it connected to all your headware or your VCR or whatever, but they didn't explicitly state "You get X amount of connections to your Datajack without a router". Thus, the answer to it all would be "you have to install a second datajack, one that connects to your VCR and one that connects to your brain for decking". They also list the reflex trigger as an option... both are available according to Rigger 2. The justification is that the signals sent/received by the VCR are directly connected to your cerebellum (your brain's equivalent of a Move-by-wire system, as it automatically corrects and smooths out all motor movements as well as loop feedback to motor planning) and thalami (the sensory and motor "routers" of the brain).

Flash forward to Rigger 3 and Man and Machine. Now Datajacks can connect to a number of devices for free (either the tech got better or the explanation for existing datajacks is more detailed), including a VCR. This all but eliminates the first ruling (adding a second datajack), because you can simply just connect the datajack to the VCR internally. I believe the ruling was changed in Rigger 3 to compensate for this inconsistency, one of many Shadowrun retcons.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jan 31 2005, 04:13 AM)
ASIST is a crucial component of simsense

Disregarding the question of whether "a crucial component" means it is in fact Simsense until I have more time (after all, it's more than possible for a component to not be able to be considered the whole; light is a crucial component of movies, but light is not movies.), BTLs ride high on the emotional track, and nothing in canon suggests that ASIST has an emotional track.

~J
Cochise
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Artificial Sensory Induction System Technology (ASIST) hit the scene in 2018, introduced by Dr. Hosato Hikita of ESP Systems in Chicago. ASIST is a crucial component of simsense, which allows a person to experience something that happened or is happening to someone else.
p.58, Cannon Companon.

Bolding added for emphasis.

Doesn't change too much ...

Let's assume that Simsense == ASIST (as opposed to Simsense != ASIST).
This would mean that the following logical expression would be true as well:

Simsense <=> ASIST.
This expression is composed of:

1. Simsense => ASIST and
2. ASIST => Simsense

Now let's look at those in detail:

Simsense => ASIST

is correct because one can say that if something is Simsense, it'll automatically use ASIST as well, since the latter is a crucial part of Simsense.
Now for the second part:

ASIST => Simsense

is false, since you cannot say that all forms of ASIST automatically involve simsense.

Thus the initial assumption fails. Thus ASIST != simsense ...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Cochise)
Simsense => ASIST

is correct because one can say that if something is Simsense, it'll automatically use ASIST as well, since the latter is a crucial part of Simsense.

And this is the point I'm trying to make. If you explain away a certain rule with "It changes how all ASIST is processed by the brain", you'd better at least make a show of having looked at all the other parts of the game that'd use ASIST and determined how that change will impact them.

A canon example of something that'd affects all types of ASIST would be the Simsense Vertigo Flaw. If the explanation for why the control rig interferes with decking is "it changes how all ASIST is processed by the brain" then I'd expect the list of things impacted to resemble what's listed in Simsense Vertigo, with spelled out explanations for the exceptions.

To the best of my understanding, ASIST, as it has been presented in the published material, is a data protocol for machines to be able to encode, store and process sensory data and other nerve impulses. The sensory data can be either external (the "classic" five senses, plus the senses of balance and body position) or internal (the various states of arousal of certain internal systems that the brain interprets as "emotion"). The motor impulses that an active skillwire system uses to translate what's on the chip into an actual activity fall under the category of other nerve impulses.

In practice, this means that no matter if what's coming down that datajack and being piped into the brain is a signal from a Rigger's Control Deck, a signal from a Cyberdeck, a smartgun's output as to where in the field of view to display the crosshair, The latest Neil the Ork Barbarian Full-X simsense that's been modulated into the "California Hot" range, or a moodchip BTL, they all send an ASIST signal of some type, even if the types and qualities of that data vary greatly.
RunnerPaul
(Ignore this double post. The Board gave me an error when I posted the first time)
mfb
*shrug* congrats, you've found a contradiction in the fluff and rules. it's certainly not the first, and it likely won't be the last. it's not even near to being the biggest. that's the sort of thing that happens when you try to rectify shadowrun technology with real life.
RunnerPaul
And oddly enough, if you simply move the focus of the fluff from the meat side, to the metal side, saying that the control rig some how affects all the cyberware it shares a connection path with, instead of saying that it changes how the brain processes ASIST, the contridiction evaporates.

Which is why I go for a hardware explanation, and not a wetware one, in my games.
mfb
true, but that doesn't fully jive with the rules. i'll take a shoddy explanation that fits with the rules over a detailed, sensible explanation that doesn't. it's easier to wave the Science Fiction Wand around a few times than it is to create rules for sci-fi stuff that are both balanced and make detailed sense in real-world terms.
Xirces
QUOTE (mfb)
true, but that doesn't fully jive with the rules. i'll take a shoddy explanation that fits with the rules over a detailed, sensible explanation that doesn't. it's easier to wave the Science Fiction Wand around a few times than it is to create rules for sci-fi stuff that are both balanced and make detailed sense in real-world terms.

That's all well and good, but the rules of an RPG should represent the physical laws of the world in which it's set. How would you interpret the rules of a game set in the "real world" which stated that on a roll of 1 on a single D6 that any character can fly? I know what I'd do - if the rest of the game was as bad it would go with the other cr@p games I used to buy, if the game's OK then it's time for a house-rule.

One of my bugbears abour RPGs in general is that it becomes difficult to estimate naturally an individual's chance of success in a certain task - if faced with a jump between 2 buildings IRL you'd probably instinctively know whether you can make it even taking into account wind conditions, run up etc. Adding together target numbers is not as easy - if a player was about to do that in the game would the GM tell them the target number and then both parties work out how likely that is to happen? - which is exactly why rules need to be simple - OTOH, make it too simple and characters start doing freaky things that don't match the game world and the atmosphere turning the whole exercise into a dice rolling comptetion (might as well play Yahtzee).

The *rules* in SR are abstract (and contradictory), but the atmosphere and world are pretty detailed - if ever the two conflict I know which should win...

mfb
yes, but the 'inconsistencies' being discussed are never actually spelled out in the books. we don't know why decking takes interference from VCRs but BTL use doesn't. there could be a perfectly legitimate reason for this, in SR--who knows, maybe decking uses a subset of ASIST that BTLs don't, and it's that subset that VCRs mangle when they're not turned off. there are countless possibilities for why the rules work the way they do; rather than create an in-game explanation that requires a rules change, why not create an in-game explanation that doesn't?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb)
rather than create an in-game explanation that requires a rules change, why not create an in-game explanation that doesn't?

Seeing as in this case, it's not so much a rules change, as it is going back to a previous edition's rule and then merging the new rule into it, I see it more as not letting a not-very-well explained rules change get in the way of a perfectly good in-game explanation.

mfb
s'your game, and all. for the record, though, i've got a palmful of baby powder for player o' mine who tries to pass off "going back to a previous edition's rule and then merging the new rule into it" as "not a rules change".
Luca
I still do not understand the real usefulness of having a two (or even three!) datajacks.
Great part of people I know prefer not to use datajacks for smartilinked weapons but magnetic pads under the skins of the hands. Therefore a decker (or rigger) with smartlink do not have any need to really have a second jack.
The cases which needs a second jack are really rare. If a decker has a cyberdeck in his head and (for example) want to print something while he is in the matrix I can understand the use of two jacks (one to log on the matrix and the other to jack the printer) but. really, this is a rare case.
Can anyone give me some more concrete and real examples about the REAL usefulness of a second jack???
Thanks
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Luca)
Can anyone give me some more concrete and real examples about the REAL usefulness of a second jack???

Necro Tech's sniper example on the first page of this thread is a very good example of how multiple jacks would be useful.
tisoz
And using datajacks to access and control external devices instead of getting them as more expensive cyber versions. Saves essence.
Luca
which devices, for example?
Sorry if it could seem a stupid question but I'm quite new to the Shadowrun world, expecially 3rd edition.
Demosthenes
Communication gear.
Cameras.
Stuff that's handy to have and nice to be able to use by direct neural interface, but that costs a lot of money to implant, and is uneconomical essence-wise.
That kind of thing.
Necro Tech
My decker usually runs his deck, his computer, his phone, skill soft jukebox and mission camera at the same time.
Fortune
There's really no logical reason (that I can see) for external Routers not to exist. It should be possible to build a sort of 'patch bay' into your pocket secretary so you can run multiple external devices via DNI through one datajack.
mfb
indeed.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 2 2005, 05:05 PM)
There's really no logical reason (that I can see) for external Routers not to exist. It should be possible to build a sort of 'patch bay' into your pocket secretary so you can run multiple external devices via DNI through one datajack.

No kidding. I have no problem with external Routers, because all of my characters (PCs and NPCs) use them in non-DNI context (Two are non-cybered physads, one is so batshit crazy he doesn't even know what he's doing half the time, and one eschews ASIST, and yet has like 0.3 Essence left from all the combatware crammed into him). DNI should be absolutely no different.
RunnerPaul
In other words: Datajack: the USB for your head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012