Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HMHVV
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Gilthanis
I was thinking about an upcoming campaigne I am in and was wondering what would happen if a blood shaman used a vampire for his materials when creating a blood spirit. Would the spirit continue to spread the virus? Would the spirit get any special abilities in your game from accomplishing such a feat? What effects do Shedim and Master Shedim have if they take over a dead vampire body?

What do you think?

Any other possibilities?
Kanada Ten
Do vampires leave bodies? But I imagine their blood is as powerful as they are (essence wise) and therefore would be very potent in creating blood spirits or such dark magics. Also, I would allow (can't recall blood spirit powers atm) a blood spirit to take vampire powers (increased strength) using the channeling metamagic customized for them. I wonder if a vampire channeling a blood spirit has double the Essence Drain power?
mfb
only if they also take double the Essence Loss.
Kanada Ten
I wonder if an adept vampire can combine Distance Strike with Essence Drain... A magician's adept channeling a blood spirit using Distance Strike...
Wireknight
Essence Drain has never been explained beyond the fact that it takes minutes of time and a willing or helpeless victim. Those two qualifiers probably disqualify being able to do it via melee attacks. Shadowrun vampires do not have energy draining slam attacks.
hyzmarca
It also requires an emotional bond of some sort. The victim must feel some strong emotion for the Vampire. Lust, fear, and anger work fairly well.

A victim that is indifferent to the vampire can't be drained.

There is also temperory essence drain, which lasts for 1 combat turn per point of base essence. It only requires an opposed essence vs willpower test. However, Temperory essence drain isn't fatal and isn't normally available to vampires.
Ancient History
That means sleeping people are probably not fair game. However, you're not likely to remain indifferent if they wake you up and start biting you.
thepatriot
I just got finished boning up on this very subject. I don't have the blood magic rules in front of me, but I believe the canon response would be that a Vampire adds nothing special to a blood spirit summoning. Awakened sacrifices in general add more than mundane do, but there are no hard and fast rules for specific critters. I do not recall anything about the essense of the vic playing a part.

Better to sacrifice a devil rat and save the Vamp for other purposes... or make up a house rule smile.gif
mfb
pshaw. get a vamp full up on essence, then sacrifice him. that's one nasty blood spirit, just in terms of force.
Gilthanis
Well....I was wondering because if the blood spirit got bonuses...and the blood mage channeled the blood spirit....what would be the effects of the channeling there? It really does depend on what bonuses the blood spirit received. IIRC, in second edition (or maybe first) vampires also got a bonus to their physical stats based off of the essence or something like that, but SR3 really didn't touch much on that. Also, would channeling the blood spirit give you the virus?
thepatriot
To the best of my knowledge (which is admittedly limited and... less than fresh), victim essense does not have a direct relationship to the force of a conjured blood spirit. <shrug>
Snow_Fox
the HMHVV would not carry to the blood spirit. the virus is just that, a biological entity. Awakened but still living. The spirit isn't really made of the blood but the blood is symbolic of the design. So sacrificing a vampire is giving an awakened creature, potentially with a high essence to the creature, but doens't create a vampiric spirit.

As for essence drain, it's easy to get strong emotion, just have the vamp beat on you, that should get you anger and/or fearful
Gilthanis
That's funny. Last I heard virii weren't living at all. Maybe I'm behind on the times.
akarenti
QUOTE (Gilthanis)
That's funny. Last I heard virii weren't living at all. Maybe I'm behind on the times.

That's been an object of debate for a while. I think "not living" still has the majority.
Smiley
QUOTE (Gilthanis)
I was thinking about an upcoming campaigne I am in and was wondering what would happen if a blood shaman used a vampire for his materials when creating a blood spirit. Would the spirit continue to spread the virus? Would the spirit get any special abilities in your game from accomplishing such a feat? What effects do Shedim and Master Shedim have if they take over a dead vampire body?

It would create a reverse warp in the space-time continuum and we'd all be blasted out of the time stream. It would be as if we never existed and the world would be governed by damn dirty apes.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Gilthanis)

They have auras and can be Awakened, so in Shadowrun at least they're clearly living.

~J
mfb
it's still being debated whether or not they're alive. there are strong arguments for both sides.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Gilthanis @ Jan 30 2005, 11:48 AM)

They have auras and can be Awakened, so in Shadowrun at least they're clearly living.

~J

Hell, you can say the same thing about certain minerals.
hyzmarca
With only proves that minerals are alive, as well.Just because they can't talk doesn't mean they don't have feelings.

Minning is murder!
Tanka
English Nazi note: "Virii" is not a word. The proper pluralization of "virus" is "viruses."
Kagetenshi
English Nazi counternote: no, it isn't. "Virus" has no plural, either in English or in Latin.

~J
Tanka
I stand corrected.

"Virus" is the plural of "virus."

"I'll take two fish with a side order of virus, please!"
Botch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
English Nazi counternote: no, it isn't. "Virus" has no plural, either in English or in Latin.

~J

Whose English exactly?

American Dictionaries

Yahoo maybe?

or maybe this link.

It is correct that virus does not have a different plural form in Latin as it is in the fourth declension (was not a thing that was countable, ie. air) and not second, but we are not using classical latin.

Both German and English speakers have taken the word from Latin and applied pluralisation because it is now a countable thing, notably French and Italian haven't.

Then comes the usage of virus pertaining to computer programs, where it is definately a countable thing and common usage has defined the plural form.

The Oxford ENGLISH Dictionary lists it as viruses, and that IMHO is what counts. English is defined by common usage, it always has and always will and is a reason why the British laugh their tits off when we hear an American say "Burglarization" instead of "Burglary".
KeyMasterOfGozer
QUOTE (Botch)
English is defined by common usage, it always has and always will and is a reason why the British laugh their tits off when we hear an American say "Burglarization" instead of "Burglary".

Uhhhh... I've been American for 32 years, I'm extremely well read and emersed in Pop Culture to boot, and I've never seen or heard the word "Burglarization" before this very post. I know of no Americans who would not use "Burglary" as the noun.

I'm sure there are lots of things that Americans might say or do to make a Brit laugh their tits off, but that is the nuttiest thing I've ever heard.
Botch
Not been listening to your president or those horrible generic American's Most xxx?

Almost every time the activity of burgulary is mentioned in the UK, by an American the word "burgularization" is used. "Burgularization" was the only and correct form around the time of the formation/separation of USA from Britain, we dropped it favour of a word that is easier to say and spell.

Perhaps yourself and those around you have also taken this approach.
Sketchy
QUOTE (tanka)
I stand corrected.

"Virus" is the plural of "virus."

"I'll take two fish with a side order of virus, please!"
Sketchy
OOo... Sorry about the double Post!
KeyMasterOfGozer
QUOTE (Botch)
Not been listening to your president or those horrible generic American's Most xxx?

Almost every time the activity of burgulary is mentioned in the UK, by an American the word "burgularization" is used. "Burgularization" was the only and correct form around the time of the formation/separation of USA from Britain, we dropped it favour of a word that is easier to say and spell.

Perhaps yourself and those around you have also taken this approach.

I will say that even though, neither I nor any other non-retarded American, would call the gibberish that our President spouts "English" or "American English" (he is a retarded monkey that uses wrong words and mangled words in every painful speech), I have never heard him use the word "Burglarization".

I assure you that If I or even my uneducated friends here in America were to ever hear the word "Burglarization", we would burst into laughter and make fun of the idiot using it.

This smacks of some kind of Academic Urban Legend, that no doubt has been passed along through British Colleges and Universities for decades.

Please, any Americans out there who have ever heard the word used, please chime in and let us know, because I just can't believe it would ever be used, except possibly by some wierd word-smith type poet or something very pompous.

I do, however, agree with you whole-heartedly about your "Virus" comments.

I don't, however, agree with your usage of "torch" for a "flash light". biggrin.gif Electric lights were invented by us, we get to name them!
Bigity
I hear that in the UK, they rename all the U.S. products so they don't have to use the same words we do.

As in the cleaner, Ajax.

In England, it's known as Xaja. (X-ah-jah)

Not sure if this is true or not, but sounds funny.

Or "standing in the queue", as opposed to "line".

Or my favorite, "knocked her up", instead of "I went to her house".

I have also never heard of the damn word "burglarization" until this thread.
Sabosect
"Knocked her up" is also quite common in the U.S. and may have been coined here.

Oh, and I have seen the word "burglarization" used in the U.S. It's typically used by shows catering to idiots and run by idiots with the people on the shows trying to sound smarter than they really are.
BitBasher
To quote Calvin and Hobbes:

"Verbing wierds nouns"
Crimson Jack
What's the British equivalent for "off topic"? nyahnyah.gif
Kanada Ten
Taking a piss.
Ancient History
Taking the piss, Kanada.

I've seen burglary, burglarized, and burgled, but never afore have mine eyes perceived the "burglarization." What the Hell would it mean? "The process of being burglarized?" Pshaw! Away and shite with ye!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sabosect)
"Knocked her up" is also quite common in the U.S. and may have been coined here.

In Ireland, at least, to "knock her up" means to knock on her door and wake her up. I had an Archaeology professor who had tales of horrified looks when he mentioned to some students on a field expedition that he'd come around next morning to knock them up.

~J
Aku
well, on this side of the pond "knocking her up" isnt quite so nice, as you've become her Baby's Daddy
Garland
Is anyone still using the word "burgle"?
Moon-Hawk
I might use "burgle" occasionally, and that's entirely due to The Hobbit.
Garland
I don't think I've ever used the word burglarization, but I'd say "the house was burglarized" before I'd say "the house was burgled." Just sounds dirty for some reason.
BitBasher
I got burgled once. It was HOT! wink.gif
Garland
That's just asking for someone to sig it.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Garland)
I don't think I've ever used the word burglarization, but I'd say "the house was burglarized" before I'd say "the house was burgled." Just sounds dirty for some reason.

The house was burglarizated.

~J
Prospero
QUOTE (thepatriot)
To the best of my knowledge (which is admittedly limited and... less than fresh), victim essense does not have a direct relationship to the force of a conjured blood spirit.  <shrug>

So, back on topic then.

It does, actually, sometimes. For animals, you get a set maximum force of blood spirit you can summon from their corpses: 1 for small animals (like rats), 2 for medium (like dogs), and 3 for big (like horses) and you can get 1 extra force point out of an awakened whatever (so a devil rat can be used to summon a force 2). For sentients, the max rating depends on essence or, for magic users, magic rating. So vamps, with essence up to 12, can be used to get some mean blood spirits.

Something interesting that just occured to me: if magical sentients use their magic rating instead of their essence for this purpose, burn-outs would suck for summoning blood spirits - you might not get much more out of them than you would a rat. Hmmm.
KeyMasterOfGozer
QUOTE (Prospero)
So, back on topic then.

Buzz kill.

biggrin.gif
Gilthanis
It is kinda funny that you guys dissed using the spelling "virii" when dumpshock has it spelled that way on its own site. Not to mention that those dictionaries that people refer to are actually outdated at the time of printing, because the new versions have to be used before someone decides that the new form is used enough to make official.

So, "proper English" dictionaries as I will refer to them as will always be an outdated trend.

Just think.... bling bling is now in the dictionary. Kinda funny how slang becomes new words.
Ancient History
It should be made obvious to people-there is no such thing as a complete authority on any language, written or spoken. Everyone who speaks a language speaks it a bit different, and writes in a different way. The so called "authorities" perpetuate the use of common forms of spelling, grammar, pronounciation, et al. to prevent our modern languages from branching, a reasonable danger considering the current state of communication in the world and an aid to preserving national identities to a degree. All dictionaries and grammars originate in the desire of one person or group of people attempting to codify and unify the language, and thus are completely artificial. 'course, languages themselves are artificial constructs, so artificial rules make sense in that way, at least.
Demosthenes
Fight the man!

talk nonsense wonsense.
thepatriot
As a duly appointed member of the Academic and Military Services of His Majesty's Royal... um... Academic and Military Service, I hereby announce that the word "wonsense" has been stricken from the Queen's English.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the word "no", the letters "F" & "U", and the number "86", as well as your friendly neighborhood Patriot biggrin.gif
Lindt
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I got burgled once. It was HOT! wink.gif

Consider it done?
Xirces
QUOTE (Bigity)
As in the cleaner, Ajax.

In England, it's known as Xaja. (X-ah-jah)

Maybe this is a different England to the one I live in.

There are only two pronunciations of that word that I'm aware of. One is a Dutch "soccer" team (ay-ax to us Brits). The cleaning product is pronounced as spelt - a-jax. This isn't a regional variation - this is everyone I've ever met (and discussed cleaning products with, natch) across an entire country.

Actually, re-reading your post, are you suggesting that the spelling is reversed - 'cos it isn't.

Anyway, I want a Marathon and don't try and give me a Snickers instead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012