Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM School: Course 1
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Paul
I do want to agree with the above poster who said the average sec guards shouldn't be a challenge for any competent shadowrunner.

I took this quote from Bit Basher in the "Printed Runs" thread discussing the power level of NPC (More specifically a security guard for my example, and my thread here.) opponents in published adventures.

I completely agre with Bit Basher, and I have a feeling he'll agree with what I plan to say in just a second here. First let me establish my credentials, as they were.

I am a former Marine Infantry man, and currently I work my states correctional system. I have played Shadowrun for over a decad and a half-since its introduction in 1989. Okay now we all know I love me, lets get to this:

Security guards are not designed to be a one on one match for your average runner. That's why they operate in teams, with sound tactical doctrine. (Relatively anyways, right?) And hopefully with superior firepower, or at least some solid training with the tools available to them.

Lets examine a variety of situations here.

For the sake of arguement, and discussion, lets say that you have a team of five-one street sam, one mage, one physad, one rigger, and a decker. That way we cover all of our bases here, obviously in reallife we all will have different groups of player chaarcters to deal with, at varying power levels.For our discussion we'll assume they are each archetypes, from 110 to 130 points.

Now after being hired to knock over the local stuffer shack our team makes the smart play and scopes the place first. They discover in the process that the stuffer shack has been knocked off one time too many for the regional manager, so he's decided to hire a couple of security guards to bolster physical security. Now he can't afford too many guys, so what he does is hires one for each shift, a total of three guards right? But he will also need somebody to cover their days off, unless he can skimp on coverage at certain times of the day (Say Mondays thru Thursday during daylight hours, when the place has never been robbed, and has the most traffic.) so that means he needs two more guys. (It's 1.5 for each position for anyone doing the statistics out there...)

So he hires five big guys, real bruisers who are just barely legal (They have priors, but nothing that would keep them from getting liscensed as a Stuffer Shack cop.) and gives them each a 2 hour brief, a retractable baton and says have at it. Now the to hour brief basicly consisted of "Don't kill anybody and make me liable, but don't let these street pukes rob me either!" Obviously not the best set of marching orders right? But as long as they continue to provide cheap, and relatively effective security, who cares?

Now the runners are on the J.O.B. here, and figue out that these guys worked a relatively simple rlief schedule-they work a straight eight, with shifts starting at 0800, 1600, and 0000 with one minute overlap for reliefs. They each wear a basic set up of a leather jackets emblazoned with "Security" on the back, and the retractable batons.

Our team is wise and decide to hit the place at three on a Friday, when the guy who only works as relief on the weekends for part time beer money works. He's also the smallest guy of the bunch.

Obviously we're looking at real one sided fight right? Our team should walk away from this feeling bad about kicking the three legged blind dog with no tail named Lucky.

Now lets move on to example two in my next post.
Paul
Now in example #2 here, our team (I keep crucifying your name dude, sorry!) is fresh off their successful stuffer shack job, and looking for something juicey to sink their teeth into now. So after getting in touch with their fixer (We'll assume our team is just starting out and still doing it this way, instead of making their own biz!) she hooks them up with a pretty decent piece of work-they need to extract a research/patents lawyer from a local Transys Neuronet subsidiary.

Again our team is on the ball and decides to do some leg work. after some basic checking on the matrix, and public grids they are able to easily find a few articles on their target, and his employeer. After reviewing these they decide to have their Decker take a virtual crack at it.

After a lucky run on the joint, their Decker manages to dig up some good scoop for them. The local subsidiary is pretty small potatoes operation in the grand scheme of things, but still enough to make them sweat a little.

The target works at a fifteen story building that basically archives patents, and records for various Transys affiliates and subsidiarys. Security is three pronged this time-Magic, Matrix and Physical.

On the Physical Front this time they have to worry about alot more. The stuffer shack had a pretty easily subverted security system that consisted of a single camera that was suppoed to have a good view of the place, some windows (In the vain hopes that maybe being visible from the street would stop somebody from committing whatever crime it was they wanted to commit.), low shelving with few obstacles and good but cheap lighting.

Not this time. The building is constructed solidly, with a smart layout. Windows are polarized to prevent anybody from snooping and pooping, an discreet barriers prevent anybody from just walking up to the place. (Besides the fence, which looks decorative, but is really a barrier too.) Plus our team finds out from their virtual incursion that the building uses alarms ont he windows, doors and throughout the building in conjunction with a CCTV system that is monitored. During the day guards man the single entry point(Also a security measure) and a few are on standby just in case. (2) At night however guards patrol the building. One guard for every three floor, patrolling randomly.

Matrix security is extremely tight, especially given the contents of our building. Our team decides not to even bother with this for now, as they hoping not to even step a foot in the building.

Magical security is sort of lax, which is a stroke of luck for our team. As none of the security staff are magically active, and few of the staff are either, it's an area that's overlooked often. A single spirit is bound for back up, in case of emergencies, and they have a few areas protected by couple of types of specially altered ivy and wards.

Our team however hopes to avoid this nest of death, and bad juju completely. The target commutes, with a small security detail. After looking at his home, and deciding security was too tight there as well, they decide the best bet is tohit him in transit, or as he is exiting/entering work. (As a last resort that last bit.)

Our team manages to subvert a local traffic grid, reroutes the Targets car to a spot they choose, and hit. After a brief fire fight they make off with the target and leave his security detail maimed and dead.

Enough to make you as the GM pull your hair out right? I mean they avoided your carefully built dungeon of doom, right?

That's where we as Game Masters have to start thinking about the totality of circumstance. I mean would you hav walked in there? No, right? So why would you expect them to?

Well if you're like I was, because damnit that's the run I wrote, and by the gawds we'll be playing that if we want to game here! Right?C'mon now, some of you are definitely chuckling in agreement right? Not all, this isn't for everyone obviously, but some of us needed help getting started right?

What I hope to cover here is some loose guidelines, ideas and concepts that will help you free form your games a little easier, and deal with those little loop holes or unexpected NPC deaths that will almost certainly arise.

It's my fervent hope that those of you with experience will chip in here, and cover what I miss, or even teach me what I never knew, or would never have thought of. It's my hope this thread will benefit those of you eho might need this kind of asisstance.
Kagetenshi
Why would that make me pull my hair out? First run I ever GMed was a delivery job. The runners had to take an attaché case from an observed meet at a McHughes and bring it to a location across town without being followed there. I planned for a lot of circumstances, but because I was new I neglected to think of one of them going in separately (I thought of that half of it) and then them doing a swap in the bathroom. I was overjoyed and gave them extra karma for outwitting me. I had a deathtrap like the above one with people inside the runners needed to kill, and my current Saturday group just set the place on fire and waited for people to come out. Admittedly I was expecting them to use explosives, but hey. After a while, though, you just start knowing what sorts of things will be difficult without having to specifically plan on the runners going that way. Target moves? Unmarked security car nearby. Stuff like that.

One big piece of advice, though: unless its absence makes no sense, never add a counter to a specific method the runners are using after the run starts. It just frustrates people.

~J
kevyn668
The problem I see so far is that your team is smart.

They did everything the "right" way. They should be rewarded for pulling off the runs so smoothly. That's the point, right?

Mebbe I'm not understanding something here...
Paul
So when I am designing a run the first question I ask myself is what? What is going to happen here. (Don't get me wrong here, I ask the five W's and H right off the back, but we'll take this slowly.)

I take my ideas and write a synopsis:

For example one it would have read like this:

QUOTE ("Synopsis")
The runners knock over a Stuffer Shack, and mix it up with a few toughs.

I run with the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) Principle. When I said write, I meant write. Write your ideas down somewhere-a piece of notebook paper, graph paper (My posion of choice in the day), in a word file, on note cards-whatever works for you. Don't be afraid to keep copious amounts of notes-being a GM is tough work. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. (Now that doesn't mean everyone needs to do it my way, obviously some of you are beyond that, or even prefer not to. That's fine too.)

From your synopsis develop outward. Decide on who the team will be facing, and the why. Figure out who is hiring them and why. A lot of this information may never even reach the players hands, ever. It's for you to keep track of. Why? why keep track of all this stuff?

Well lets say six runs down from this stuffer shack you need something to do, and you're fresh out of ideas. You need something to run. You flip back through your notes and realize way back in run number one the players killed one of the security goons in the stuffer shack (Sure a change from our example a little, right? So sue me! biggrin.gif ) Whoops, turns out that guy was in heavy with the Cutters (A Larger than average Go Gang for those who don't know.) and they want a piece of the people who offed him. After a few runs our team has a little street rep going for them, so suddenly it's easier for the cutters to locate them. (Whoops, our team always seems to operate out of Seattle's Southside. They're getting a little sloppy aren't they?)

As you can see it, it's pretty easy to tie it all together. Realism is important to my players, and therefore to me. While we keep in mind that we're playing a Science Fantasy Action roleplaying game, we also strive to make portions of our game as life like as we can. We choose the parts of life that are fun to play of course, after all not many of are interested in a roleplaying game about house hold chores or doing the taxes right? As a Game Master its incumbent on you to make the ultimate choice-how is my game going to be run?

If the bad guys, as it were, or the opposition is one dimensional or lack luster it's my fault. If the game is slow, it's because I let it happen. I move the game forward as it needs it. But anyways, enough back patting and kudos lets get back to designing the oppostion shall we?
Kagetenshi
What's there to design? With the Stuffer Shack, add a Panicbutton™ to the guards and the cashier, and maybe a biomonitor if you really want to get fancy (I remember them being pretty cheap).

~J
kevyn668
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
What's there to design? With the Stuffer Shack, add a Panicbutton™ to the guards and the cashier, and maybe a biomonitor if you really want to get fancy (I remember them being pretty cheap).

~J

There was a Panicbutton™ in "Food Fight."

IIRC, PanicButtons™ are pretty much everywhere.
Paul
QUOTE (kevyn668)

They did everything the "right" way. They should be rewarded for pulling off the runs so smoothly. That's the point, right?

We'll get there, slowly. I want to take my time and do this right.

You are indeed correct that the reward for being smart, in a perfect world, is a game that runs smooth. I want to highlight what happens when things go wrong, but this thread is dedicated to the oppostion, and design. Unfortunately the process isn't something we can just surgically seperate from the whole of the game.

QUOTE ("Kagetenshi")
Why would that make me pull my hair out?

I did mention this might not fit everyone right? smile.gif Some of us will obviously be better suited for something like this than others. SOme of us had it easier as a SR GM than others-whether it be natural talent, or prior experience-which is what I am guessing you had. (Prior experience as a DM, or GM in some system.)

First run I ever GMed was a delivery job. The runners had to take an attaché case from an observed meet at a McHughes and bring it to a location across town without being followed there. I planned for a lot of circumstances, but because I was new I neglected to think of one of them going in separately (I thought of that half of it) and then them doing a swap in the bathroom. I was overjoyed and gave them extra karma for outwitting me.

Absolutely. I don't mean to say we have to follow a route script, I am simplely pointing out that in the begining a lot of us do. And when we deviate from the script we may get nervous or upset. Especially afetr putting a lot of time into developing the script.

I'm sure you can understand that.

Now that said, have I ben there and done that? Absolutely. One of my favoite runs was a campaign that was culminating with the cliche confrontation between the team and the big evil bad guy. They killed him in the first turn by being smarter than me. What else could I do but laugh?

One big piece of advice, though: unless its absence makes no sense, never add a counter to a specific method the runners are using after the run starts. It just frustrates people.

I agree, and I hope you will see as I go how I do things, and how I think it works. (Which is to say, in my mind well.)
Paul
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 2 2005, 12:00 AM)

~J

Can I say again if this thread isn't for you, then don't worry? If you're obviously not getting anything from it, then don't get bent out of shape over it. Maybe stuffer shack 101 is your thing, but not every user at DSF is you, or at your skill level.
Sabosect
So far, nothing challenging actually posted.

This is a challenge:

You're group is attacking an Ares gun production plant. This is the place where they make the toys you so love to have. This place is considered highly classified, so naturally everyone and their brother on the Matrix knows about it. If they know about it, ten to one someone's tried to hit it and quite possibly someone's succeeded.

Now, considering it's cheaper to steal guns and bullets than to pay for them, you know Ares is going to have tight security. If hooked up to the Matrix at all, it's a Red 14 or even an Ultraviolet and probably only uses black ice with about two or three dozen security deckers. There's also at least three security riggers and four riggers running drone patrol, maybe more, and they've got the best drones on the market, and maybe a few that the market doesn't know about. For the magical, you can expect two groups of magicians, with one group using spirits and astral projection to patrol the astral while another stays meat and uses spells and ritual magic to help maintain a series of magical defenses throughout the compound. For internal security, expect a combination of gun bunnies and people with enough cyberwear to come close to being zombies on patrol, with them being the best of the best and trained better than most UCAS military divisions, and possibly those groups having magicians as well, depending on the mood of the GM.

That, of course, is ignoring the fact the drones working the production line are likely controlled by an SK from a system completely isolated from the Matrix and said drones having weapons just in case a thief does get in. And also ignoring the possibility the compound has twice as many of everything listed in the previous paragraph on standby in case of an emergency, while the facility itself would be designed to take a nuclear explosion right beside it and only have the paint chipped.

Now, why so much security? This is Ares's lifeblood. The profits of selling these weapons and having so much security would, to any megacorp, outweigh the other option, in which they could become known as having lax security and having every John with a gun or a spell to cast trying to steal weapons from them.

Sometimes, not having the place capable of withstanding a military attack isn't feasible.
Paul
QUOTE (Sabosect)

Would saying that I didn't mean this to be a challenge matter at all? Is everyone completely oblivious to the intent of this?

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe Dumpshock is completely made up of skilled GM's who know it all.
kevyn668
No need to get bent out of shape. You did ask for input.

It's my fervent hope that those of you with experience will chip in here, and cover what I miss, or even teach me what I never knew, or would never have thought of. It's my hope this thread will benefit those of you eho might need this kind of asisstance.

I think we're just trying to understand how your posts are supposed to help new GMs. Don't get me wrong, I like the ideas but I don't see how it helps a new GM.

In the first post, we have team of crack runners that are hired to knock over a StufferShack. They choose the *best* time to do so (almost as rare as a four leaf clover) and make out like bandits.

In the second post, the same team is hired for an extraction that is light years away from the last run on the difficulty scale. They still manage to choose the *best* time to perform the run (even rarer than the afore mentioned four leaf clover). The opposition is tougher but the team never encounters said opposition. They evade that problem by performing like cold, hard, pros. That is something that--judging by the posts here--is rather rare.

Like I said, mebbe I'm misunderstanding something here...
Sabosect
QUOTE (Paul)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Feb 2 2005, 12:15 AM)

Would saying that I didn't mean this to be a challenge matter at all? Is everyone completely oblivious to the intent of this?

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe Dumpshock is completely made up of skilled GM's who know it all.

No, I meant that in each case the scenarios you posted are meant mostly for starting runners and doesn't even begin to cover everyone. Top it all off, the posts you make present it in a way that doesn't actually present a challenge to even a starting group, as they are just choosing the best times and grabbing then.

You are accusing us of missing your point, but then you turned around and missed mine. I presented a case where the security force is realistic in relation to the importance of what they are guarding to company profits. It's to show that mnot every time a group of runners is going to be finding something with an easy road to take, but that sometimes it's damn difficult or even requires a miracle to pull off.
toturi
Sabosect: The problem is the believability of that. Perhaps you have players that have a higher suspension of disbelief for such things. You might want 50 guys for that factory of yours (your deckers are already 24- 36). Ares has about 20 similar facilities and another 10 research facilities with higher priority. So you'll need about 1500 elite guys. There are about 10 megacorps. So there needs at least 15000 elite guys worldwide. Not counting all the assorted AAs and GDs and countries that offer top dollar for talent.

You live in a world with a lot of talent.
Typhon
No Paul I'm sure Dumpshock has its newbie GM's or experienced players who are about to try their hand at GMing , and although I've been Gming for a couple years now it is nice to get some tips now and again . It's good to hear how others run their games so keep up the good work nuyen.gif
Kanada Ten

I find it laughable that one can suspend disbelief for all the other crap of SR and the dice in their hands, but not that the characters are no better than 0.000025% of the world's population.
FrostyNSO
There is a lot of talent in the world we live in now.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (kevyn668)

I think the point of the example was 'the GM went out of his way to make some wicked badass security, and did such a good job of it that the runners, being smart chaps, didn't want to even go near it.'

The first example was the creamiest of the smooth and creamy milk runs, and... okay, aside from showing the best opposition you'll ever get out of a Stuffer Shack, what was the point of that one? That as well as too hard, you can set up a run that even at its best, is way too easy to be any problem for actual runners?

I think the best rule is to have the NPCs fight smarter, not harder. Your generic security guard is not there to have a stand up gunfight with a team of shadowrunners, nor should he have the abilities to do so. If the GM wants that particular guard to present some sort of challange to the team, he's going to have to do it in some way other than bullets. Like being hooked to a biomonitor, or having some sort of deadman's switch that activates the Oh S**t alarm.
kevyn668
Kanada Ten
Posted on Feb 1 2005, 11:42 PM

I find it laughable that one can suspend disbelief for all the other crap of SR and the dice in their hands, but not that the characters are no better than 0.000025% of the world's population.

Why not? Look at the percentage of magically active PCs vs. the global average. We have no problem ignoring that. smile.gif
Sabosect
QUOTE (toturi)
Sabosect: The problem is the believability of that. Perhaps you have players that have a higher suspension of disbelief for such things. You might want 50 guys for that factory of yours (your deckers are already 24- 36). Ares has about 20 similar facilities and another 10 research facilities with higher priority. So you'll need about 1500 elite guys. There are about 10 megacorps. So there needs at least 15000 elite guys worldwide. Not counting all the assorted AAs and GDs and countries that offer top dollar for talent.

Even in the SR world, assuming that only 1% of the people are actually runners or equal to runners has 15,000 people being a drop in the bucket. Assuming current population growth rates, adjusting for disasters and alterations, and pulling a number that doesn't sound too extreme means Earth in 2064 probably has a population in the 7-8 billion range, meaning 1% of the population is 70-80 million people.

15,000 is quite reasonable in comparison.
mfb
at a wild, totally random guess, i'd put the number of 'talented' individuals in the SR world at about a million, minimum. probably more. i'd say 1% is way, way to high, though. knock that down by a factor of at least 5,000.
kevyn668
Even in the SR world, assuming that only 1% of the people are actually runners or equal to runners has 15,000 people being a drop in the bucket. Assuming current population growth rates, adjusting for disasters and alterations, and pulling a number that doesn't sound too extreme means Earth in 2064 probably has a population in the 7-8 billion range, meaning 1% of the population is 70-80 million people.

You forgot about VITAS.
mfb
nah, even with VITAS, the world pop would be 8 billion+ by the 2060s.
toturi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Aren't your runners from this talent pool? All the other crap, as you put it, is the OOC disbelievablity, this is IC disbelief. I can suspend my OOC disbelief(game mechanics, etc) but putting myself into a PC's shoes, I find that I can't believe that there are so many world class/expert guys in the world. How many Olympic class athletes are there in the world? 10000? 1 million?

I can seperate my IC from my OOC disbelief. My PC can believe people can dance a tutu and shoot the wings off a fly at the same time because the disbelivability is a OOC issue. But he can't believe that there are 15000 world classed guys because that's a IC issue.
FrostyNSO
Since when does somebody have to be "Olympic Class" to be elite?
toturi
Since elite troops are often rated Superior to runners. And runners have a usual skill rating of 6 in their area of expertise. Superior is +2, therefore 6+2=8, a skill rating of 8 is World Class. If world class isn't Olympic(ok, given the screwy Olympics in 2060s, maybe not), I don't know what is.
FrostyNSO
Being elite doesn't have to have anything to do with being a one-man wrecking crew.

Sure, you will be good at what you do, that goes without saying. But that alone doesn't make one elite.

It could mean many different things.
A security team that regularly trains at a location they are assigned to protect could be considered elite due to the fact that they know the layout like the back of their hand, know the ins and outs of the security plan, or even being accustomed to the environment (like if it was an arctic research station).

Hell, in the 6th world, you can take a well-trained individual (primary skills of 5 : professional per SR3), slap a few inexpensive implants in him (boosted 1, smartlink, etc..) and he becomes a formidable fighter. Take a couple of those guys, train them as a unit protecting their own back yard, and you have a great security team.
Sandoval Smith
This is unbelieveable how? For the facilities hypothetical personnel, "Ares takes training and equipping their high end security elements seriously. Members of the 'Ares Family security division' who prove their capabilities are pushed to undertake this path."

All they have to be is good, not world class, and if you have someone who already has a proclivity, training alone will easily get them to good.

In this case, even if it's just one of several like Ares facilities, they still take it seriously enough that they have the guards who are good at shooting guns and wearing armor, or icing intruding deckers, or whatever.
FrostyNSO
Even today, elite troops aren't that way because they are supermen. More often they are elite because they train together, think outside the box, have sound tactics, and most importantly, have the proper mindset and mental endurance to continue the fight when others would give up, while still keeping a cool head.

If you translated a delta-force soldier into SR stats, he wouldn't have very many skills in the 8's. More likely, if he did, they would be in his area of expertise. He would, however, have a ton of relevant knowledge skills, and a quite high small unit tactics skill. smile.gif
toturi
Take a look at Canon elite troops. I'll take the Leopard Guards of Aztechnology (p128 Corp Download) as an example. Superior and Professional. Even if I take Superior to be only +1, that's a lot of experts. And you have not taken into consideration the troops that are rated Superhuman.

That is today. The PCs do not know about today. They know about 2064. IRL is OOC, in game logic is IC. And IC disbelief is what I talking about.
Sabosect
Toturi- You find it unbelievable that 15,000 elite people can exist and work for corps? Having it below that I find unbelievable.

Simple case: Today there is, I would say, 40,000 elite soldiers, 6,000 elite computer experts, 5,000 elite scientists, and a few elites in other areas currently employed. My numbers are way off, and I suspect way too low to even be close, but they show how easily such people can exist. If only 15,000 of that 51,000 is in corp control, that means the majority is still outside, possibly in military or on their own. The number is low enough that they are rare enough to be legends, while high enough to actually make canon material feasible.

mfb- Considering the way it is written and the number of corporations that would have magical security and the numbers required, I would say magicians alone have to be 0.5% of the total human population. Cyberwear being very common means you can expect at least double that in sams alone, plus double the sams in riggers and deckers. So, I would say 3.5% of the human population are runners or equal to. But keep in mind that number is scattered across the entire planet and even in certain portions above it. The numbers are still far, far lower than enough to even count as anything but a minority.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Paul @ Feb 1 2005, 11:06 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 2 2005, 12:00 AM)

Can I say again if this thread isn't for you, then don't worry? If you're obviously not getting anything from it, then don't get bent out of shape over it. Maybe stuffer shack 101 is your thing, but not every user at DSF is you, or at your skill level.

No, that was honest confusion over whether the scenario at hand was what we were looking at or if you wanted us to present our own or what.

Edit: Er, technically I just told you that you can't say that, which I don't mean. English has broken down, hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

~J
toturi
What I meant was, following the rules of SR, elite soldiers have Expert to World Class skills. I can see each AAA as having at most about 2 battalions of these guys. I think that a AAA have important areas than 2 battalions can cover.

I am simply using "elite troops" as used in the books. If elite can be used to describe people with Equal stats, then yes, there are considerably more.
mfb
i'm almost positive that it states, somewhere in SR, that the Awakened make up 0.01% of the population.

1 person out of every 100 being some kind of elite asskicker is way, way insane; that'd mean that 20-50 people out of every hundred are non-elite asskickers. now, if you want to say that 1 person out of every 100 is an asskicker of some variety--mostly non-elite--i can get with that. 1 guy out of 100 is a ganger, or a Lone Star beat cop, or a bouncer at some strip club, or whatever.

i have to disagree, toturi. in SR, the entire planet is a low-intensity conflict zone; i don't think two battallions per megacorp is enough.
Sandoval Smith
Okay, allowing that in a moment of enthusiasm Sabosect overstated the competency of these guards, and that they are merely well trained and equipped, rather than being elite, is there any believability issue with having guys like these staffing Ares' production facilities?
mfb
the believability issue is having that many badasses guarding a single facility. the basic guards should be good, but not great, and heavily supported with automated security features such as drones and cameras. elementals, spirits, and wards should play a large factor in the magical side.

in time of dire need, the facility--and every other Ares facility in the city--should have a PANICBUTTON that summons the Ares Firewatch: Seattle team. that allows you to have serious asskickers for the opposition, without the headache of figuring out where they found fifty such asskickers per facility. not only is it easier to believe, it's more economical; serious asskickers, as Blackwater and other consulting firms can tell you (but won't!), pull down serious dough, and they often have serious life insurance plans.
toturi
A fast response team of elite troops is believable IC.

By the books anyway, there is only one battalion of Jaguar Guards.
TeOdio
As far as security goes, I wrote up a list of attributes a location's security could have and then defined exactly what those attributes are. It took some time, but now, instead of having to build a sites security from scratch (and feeling obligated to make the runners go there hehe), I just let the runner's decide whether or not it is worth their time on hitting a place. I can easily assign an attribute rating for each of the various security types (magical, personnel, matrix, physical, etc) depending on what I feel the place would logically have. Since everything is already written up, viola, I have a security plan in about 2 minutes. Also, I usually don't go into detailed maps about a site. Just a couple bits of text about what is there. If the players come up with a good plan on getting intel about the site, then I just have them avoid the nasty stuff and get from A to B much quicker. Like I said, pre writing a bunch of Security plans was a real chore, but, now I can focus more on the story/run ideas than on where the Laser trip wires should go.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
tisoz
Back on topic...

Consider an computer and electronics type warehouse. One that in the present day would be a distributor for Radio shack or Best Buy type outlets. A lot of relatively expensive, easily portable, merchandise.

The building is concrete block construction, with a metal roof, say 100 by 200 meters and 10 meters high. It is in an industrial warehousing subdivision across from the docks and port, with a fully paved lot completely fenced with chain link and razor wire, sitting between two clones to either side and a couple of railroad tracks on the other side of the back fence.

Inside the building are about a dozen rows of pallet shelving with a metal cage down the center isle holding the real expensive stuff. (Just drool over those 2 or 3 Fairlight Excaliburs they keep stocked.smile.gif) The cage is in direct view of the warehouse supervisors desk. Over each row of stock are several tinted bubbles that could house camaras, in fact not all do, had to cut costs and didn't want to pay to have to have them all monitored.

There is a small cafeteria area in one of the front corners as well as bathroom facilities. Dock doors run along the front wall, with a people size door in the middle. Inside this door is a "pen" where drivers can exchange paperwork, there is a maglocked door that is 'buzzed' from the adjacent supervisors area. A magically acyive driver could perceive an elemental watching over the cage down the center row, they should have probably set it out of LOS.

A dozen to a dozen and a half employees work in three shifts around the clock, M-F, unloading the incoming trucks and putting together the outbound shipments. Security has heard how deckers like to forge shipping papers and have their loot delivered, since they have highly desired loot, this avenue is highly secure.

A track runs around the perimeter of the building near the ceiling with cubic meter or so boxlike affairs in the corners. A similar track cuts through the exterior corners of the building and runs around the outside near the top of the building. A smart runner would surmise there are some drones there.

There are two emergency exits on the back wall near the corners. There are no exterior door handles on these doors or keypads. One of the three guard dogs is stationed beside the 3 steps leading to each of these doors.

Knight Errant handles the security. They have a guard house situated between the truck entrance and the gate for the fenced in employee parking. Employees need to pass through the guard house coming and going by going through a hallway with a turnstyle in center. there are arches housing scanners in the hallway as well as a half glassed wall bordering the guards room. The guard house has windows (yes one-way tinted) around its entire perimeter. There is a central core that is not visible which contains a bathroom and room for a decker or security rigger. There are three guards assigned around the clock, 7 days a week. One will make circuits around the building with a security animal. The other two guards monitor cameras, employees, entering and leaving, and allowing trucks to enter and leave. The guard house is elevated about a meter above ground level, so that a person sitting in the office would be at eye level with a semi truck driver in his rig.

There are camara bubbles along the exterior of the ware house at the upper corners and spaced down each side. There is an unbubbled camara pointed toward the employee parking area, and another toward where the trucks await entry. There is a bubble for a camara on the end of the guard house facing toward the warehouse.

The guards are armed with submachine guns and wear biomonitors. [edit] I'd find the KE templates and use them, or randomly assign attributes and relevant skills in the 4-6 range. Throw in some headware radios, smartlinks and maybe a little reaction/initiative enhancement here and there. [/edit] The guard checking the truck traffic has a mirror on a stick to check under and over the truck and trailer and will have the driver open the rear doors for inspection. He will put a seal on the truck and most truck companies require these type loads to be locked, so they will likely put a padlock on at this time.

A panic button connects to the rest of Knight Errant forces. The warehouse is not extraterritorial, so Lone Star could become involved, and would like to show up KE. There is parking along the street, but there is a definite lack of cars using it.
Crimson Jack
I mean they avoided your carefully built dungeon of doom, right?

I never build a "dungeon of doom" unless I plan a choke point that I know no magical, matrix or physical methods will alter. In this case, there was room left for the traffic grid to subvert your finale locale altogether.

I had a run I wrote recently in which I built a highly secure building (actually, the MTRD building in Prague... Mitsuhama's thamaturgical research 'scraper) that my group was going to have to infiltrate. I made it this way because the finale involved them turning over a bone artifact to their Johnson in his suite in this building. Unbeknownst to them, the Johnson was one of two Master Shedim who was looking forward to feasting on the corpses of the team after they did the dirty work for them. The point here is that none of them could've found out this information until it was too late and they were already in the DoD (dungeon of doom). Choke pointed.

Also, if your DoD doesn't get used this game due to a circumnavigation by your players, no worries. Save it and use it for another run at some point. You've done the homework on a solid and highly secure building. You can tweak the details and use it later.

I think that its impossible to plan for every scenario. I usually write the main idea of the run down for review prior to the gaming sesh, then I have copious notes on the details surrounding the NPCs and locales that I believe my group will visit. Having notes on hand regarding locations and NPCs that aren't involved with the run, help drastically. So, I have my main story and how I think the dominoes will fall all written up. After I'm done writing my run, then I'll spend the next day thinking about ways to reach the goal without hitting all the clues I thought up. I'll make a few notes on alternate paths to the goal and how I'll deal with them. You simply can't think of them all, but if you spend some general time thinking about the basic strengths and weaknesses of your goal, you should be amply prepared to deal with whatever situation your players throw at you.

If my players come up with an ingenious idea on how to accomplish the goal, I reward them with a highly positive result. There are times that this seems like a cake walk, but its only after a quick rundown of how their actions interplay with all of the elements that I've crafted in my dome.

I also find that playing out the run in my head like a movie tends to help me a lot. I'm a movie nut, as well as an illustrator, so a visual is a big help to me. Anyhow, that's my ramble. smile.gif
Nikoli
A few things about guards:
The non-elite, barely worth calling professional, had a weekend of training and were given a gun type:
1> Are a psychologocal deterent to amateur and would-be thieves, both inside the company and out.

2> Are professional witnesses, their main goal is to get a description of at least one perp and get the hell under cover and hit the Panicbutton.

3> Only in extreme cases should they stick their neck out to enter into a firefight, unless their or someone else's life is in direct jepardy.

I used to work in a building housed the nerve center for the ATM's on the eastern coast for a major bank. we had, at most 6 guards at all times, one at each entrance. Only three were ever armed that I saw. Funny thing is, there wasn't a guard assigned to watch the security system.

Mega-corps can get away with military style guards at the high risk facilities because the items or research stored/manufactured/developed there could conceivably pose a risk to the population at large should they fall into criminal hands. They will not garrison a battalion for each and every warehouse. Likely one HTR team per district, perhaps two if there are multiple campuses that warrant the protection. The guards on site are to make the insurance companies happy, kinda like why 24-hour restaurants must have locks on the doors.

I see most security teams on normal sites relying more on drones for the heavy deterent on site and the panicbutton to summon the big boys when the drek hits the fan. It is infinitely easier on the accountants for the drones to be in service as they don't need to take days off, never go on strike and rarely take it upon themselves to rob the company and they litterly log everything they do. 1 or 2 riggers per shift can cover a lot of ground for a small complex. Human guards have medical needs, biological needs, take vacation and are open to bribery (so are the security riggers, but that's why all commands are logged).

just my thoughts on the matter.
Critias
QUOTE (Paul)

Ask anyone. wink.gif
algcs
QUOTE (tisoz)
Back on topic...

Consider an computer and electronics type warehouse. One that in the present day would be a distributor for Radio shack or Best Buy type outlets. A lot of relatively expensive, easily portable, merchandise.

Here is a typical run from the group I use to play with. This would be after they scouted and decided they couldn't route the matieral out, the KE team wouldn't respond within 15 mins, and they couldn't roll an employee.

Aquire a box truck. Park a getaway van 3 blocks away. Drive the box truck to the site. Mage and someone with DMSO in front. The guys in back have skimasks. The guys up front have disgues. Stunball/Stunbolt the guards and have the rigger and decker secure the shack. They should buzz the truck in and destory the video evidence. They should also try to disable the alarm system. If we were feeling ruthless grenade the office and snipe the roaming guard.

The rest of the crew pulls up to the building and rushes though an open loading bay. Hussle the people into the cafetira take their cell phones and have the PhysAd guard them. The mage does a quick astral scout to make sure the other people in the building are hiding or running. The Sammi grabs the supervisor and forces him to open the door to the cage. He also tries to convence him to grab the equipement we want out (A picture of his kid would be good here.) If he won't then thermite the door. (I'd have the interior of the cage handled by a drone off the net. It is controlled by the computer at the supervisors desk. Punch in an order and the drone pulls it from the shelves for you. The drones in the cage won't attack. But the might run you over.)

Grab the stuff then force the people into the back of a truck. Lock it. Grab their truck and leave. Ditch the truck at the getaway car after spraying it down with bleach or nanites.

---------------------------------------

The current group would hijack a truck near the site and try to sneak the group in in the back of the truck. The PhysAd and the sammi would ride up front. At the window we'd have a nice chat with the guard and then when the second guard started to look at the truck the sammi would get out and get in a fight with him. The PhysAd would shoot the guard in the window. Someone would run in and try to grab the tapes. One of us would peek out of the back of the truck. The driver would ram the gate down and we'd make it to the building.

We'd all run into the building waving BFGs. Someone would shoot the supervisor to make a point. We'd bang on the door for a few mins trying to get in the cage. Someone would try to climb over. Someone would steal employees watches. Someone would look for porn. The guy at the guard shack would come running back and get shot by the last guard. Everyone would run out and shoot the guard. The elemental would come out after we jerk the cage door off using a truck and some chain. Everyone would run leaving the mage to fight it. Only he is invisable and the party can't find him.

Then everyone runs in and grabs the loot. As we run out someone sets a truck on fire. If we are lucky as we pull out the KE HRT is just landing and Lone Star patrol car is happy to just tape us as the driver stops the truck at the gate and puts two rounds into the not yet dead guard there to "keep it real". Later that night after seeing the drivers face on the news and Seattles most wanted list we shoot and organ harvest him.

Nikoli
Not entirely, just an odd assortment of people that likely took up GMing for love of the game and in the hopes that someone else would as well intheir circle of friends. There are so many varied backgrounds on this board that you can find someone that knows something about almost any topic and possibly even have a qualified and backed up with facts opinion on the matter (if you're extremely lucky). besides, i know I always learn something new in these kinds of threads, because the more ways you look at something, the better the end result will be.

edit ::ROFL algcs
Sabosect
I guess I should clear something up:

When I said "best of the best," I was assuming that the average Ares guard is likely to have a flashlight, maybe a pistol, and have the job of walking around looking touch but running towards the panic button like a little girl running from the boogeyman the moment anything actually happened. That automatically makes anyone they have with stats equal to the group as being damned good. The best of what Ares has doesn't necessarily mean the best in the world, though they may have a few of those.

I really need to work on actually stating these things instead of making an ass out of you and me.

The only reason I have Ares as having that much security is what they have to protect. They're protecting their weapons plant. Anyone with enough balls to attack that place probably can more than handle your average set of guards with an HRT team for backup. Considering the amount of thefts that happens in your typical SR game and the high desireability factor of what Ares produces, Ares will probably need more security than your average military base before the insurance company feels comfortable.

Keep in mind that military equipment is much more common in SR, as shown by your typical runner team. Any place important enough to protect from the serious runners probably needs a huge and very expensive set of defenses just to be viable.
algcs
QUOTE (Nikoli)
::ROFL algcs

We usually are too.

---------------------------------------
Here is my contribution to places.

Holiday Day Spa and Boutique.

This is higher class day spa used by some of the middle upper class in town. It is in a AAA neighborhood. It offers various types of massages, acuputure, magical relaxation, and sensory depervation chambers. The spa is separated from the store but both share the same building. They have a loading dock and shared storage area at the back of the building.

The store front is mostly glass. They have a covered area for valet parking that you have to drive thru to get into the parking lot. There is a decorotive fence around the parking lot. Several clearly marked Panicbuttons are stationed around the parking lot and by the back of the building.

The store has one security guard from KE that patrols the parking lot and building. Cameras cover the parking lot, interior, and back of the building. The cams are on the net. They are monitored from the local KE office. KE can have flying drones at the building in 7 mins and a HRT team in the building in 15 mins. KE also maintains a survilance drone in the area. The building is warded with a force 2 ward set up by KE mages.

In addition to the KE security, Lone Star maintains a survilence drone and street cams over the neighborhood. Patrol Cars and bike officers pass the area on a regular bases. A quick response drone (helo designed for traffic stop back up) is 5 mins away. LS mages will routinely patrol the astral streets on no set schedule.

The interior of the store is that of a typical Bed, Bath, & Beyond. The five employees are friendly and told to summon the guard in case of a problem. If they can't then they are to cooperate and try to get the intruders to leave quickly. There are Panicbuttons near the registers and managers office in the back. The shop does not have a lot of cash or valuables.

The spa has an open waiting room with a receptionist controlling access to the back. She has a panic button and security alert button hidden under her desk. Pressing the security button will lock the doors and lower a security window in front of her desk. The spa usually has 3 to 5 employees working. The recepionist, a cleanup person, and the relaxation therapists. Neither the janitor or receptionist have any combat training. Some of the threapist may have magical ablities or some unarmed skill. Patrons are allowed to have their bodyguards enter with them if the bodyguard passes a background check conducted by KE. Other bodyguards have to wait in the reception area.
tisoz
For an Ares weapons plant, I would probably use average stats (3s) and add 1D3. I would equip them with excellent Ares weapons (any mod I feel like) and security armor.

[ Spoiler ]

Anyone interested in playing the above scenario, PM me. I tried running it in the Welcome to the Shadows forum, but everyone bailed.
BitBasher
Aquire a box truck. Park a getaway van 3 blocks away. Drive the box truck to the site. Mage and someone with DMSO in front. The guys in back have skimasks. The guys up front have disgues. Stunball/Stunbolt the guards and have the rigger and decker secure the shack.
Humorously, this would have totally sealed the fate of the team in my game. Like Lone Star, Knight Errant (one of the two largest sec companies on earth) does things for morale to show that it is protecting it's personnel. One of those things is that all employees wear biomonitors. Drop the guard out front and not only are the other guards alerted automatically, but so is central, and backup is already on it's way. Likewise, cut off the security system and then home base registers a blackout because it's nor recieving the perennial signals with the correct random algorithm every second ro so and it sends a team.

Of course, this doesn't apply to lesser sec companies, which provide most of the lower cost security, but it applies to the big boys, which LS and KE are. These are very low cost implementations that dramatically increase the effectiveness of security. Simple is often better for security purposes.

See, I agree with the OP, and I think he's right. I think a run against 6 sec guards with no backup and no good logistics or game plan is trivial for even a starting shadowrun team as long as they have any prep time.

That's why for 20k a member they don't get hired to break into Best Buy warehouses and Stuffer Shacks if the game has any sense wink.gif
algcs
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Humorously, this would have totally sealed the fate of the team in my game. Like Lone Star, Knight Errant (one of the two largest sec companies on earth) does things for morale to show that it is protecting it's personnel.

I did put this in there.

This would be after they scouted and decided they couldn't route the matieral out, the KE team wouldn't respond within 15 mins, and they couldn't roll an employee.

The first plan would always be to get an insider or make what looks like a legit purchase from a store and jump the truck in route.

If it was clear they had to go in plan would be in and out in 10 mins. At 11 mins it is cut your losses and run. Don't kill anyone so KE isn't in revenge mode just lose recovery mode.

If they KE team is 10-15 mins. Maybe. For the chance at a lot of money.

If KE has a HRT team 5 mins away then the team would go back to Mr Johnson asking for a lot more money. They would hire a troll gang to tear up some other KE location. Barring that they would go straight in blast the guards, drive though the fence, and have 3 guys waiting for the HRT team and KE drones with SAMs and sniper rifles hidden in the surrounding area. The rigger would be back at the van with a mortar for covering fire. Plane tickets to CAS or the Carribian would have already been purchased.

How different is the biomoniter read out of a stunned person from a normal

You figure the KE team will know ~1 min of the guards going down. HRT team suits up and runs for the pad. Pilot starts the plane up, registers a flight plan, and gets it approved by Seattle Aircontrol. The supervisor decides if the HRT team is needed or if other units can respond and handle the situation, decideds if it is safe to send drones into the area, can they use leathal force, and then notifies his supervisors and Lone Star. Getting approval from eveyone to would take longer than the HRT team getting to the site.
BitBasher
How different is the biomoniter read out of a stunned person from a normal
It would show they just went unconscious due to trauma. That's what biomonitors do, they assess the physical state of well being of the person they are attached to. Dramatic change in heartrate, blood pressure, breathing, and a pain response from when the person hit the ground of a serious adrenaline spike if he saw it coming.

At the same time they check the cameras and if the guy is on the ground it's really easy to put together, takes seconds.. if that. If the sec system drops when this happens it's do not pass go, send in the asskickers.

You figure the KE team will know ~1 min of the guards going down.
In this scenario IMHO KE knows seconds after the guards go down.

HRT team suits up and runs for the pad. Pilot starts the plane up, registers a flight plan, and gets it approved by Seattle Aircontrol.
Eh, that's horribly inefficient. HRT team runs straight for the pad Pilot starts the plan and leaves while the team inside straps on armor and does weapon checks en-route. Those ospreys (and Citymasters) are easily used as staging areas. The ospray holds all the ready gear. The pilot registers no flight plan. The pilot slaps in a sequence and a preregistered flight plan designated for emergency use is sent to Seattle Air Control, becuase KE is a registered security provider, and would definitely have preplanned emergency routes to any locations which it has a security contract.

For a sec company like this response time is life. Fast response is what they do. There's no reason they would take a dive on a call because they were wasting time doing things that could be already arranged, drilled and organized beforehand.

The supervisor decides if the HRT team is needed or if other units can respond and handle the situation, decideds if it is safe to send drones into the area, can they use leathal force, and then notifies his supervisors and Lone Star.
Not so much IMHO. While the team is already in the air the Liueutenant on duty determines any alternative options, but that's very unlikely. This is a paramilitary organization. They have an SOP list which takes them straight down to what the proper response is, and the individual soldiers (and rigger if one responds) are already trained on when lethal force is authorized. no one asks permission to start shooting, that's all covered by the SOPs. KE has a lethal force licence. All those little things are trained in advance. There is no real time decision making done here, this would all be worked out as part of the security contract under the heading of "guaranteed response". They would alert Lone Star only if the facility is on public property, in which case Lone Star would be scrambling to respond also. Superiors would be notified while the team is en route.

Getting approval from eveyone to would take longer than the HRT team getting to the site.
Not a chance IMHO. Approval is a misnomer in this scenario. If conditions are met they go. That's they they are paid for and that's what they train for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012