Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Naval Battle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moomin
Can anyone give me a page reference for a paragraph or two mentioning a naval battle between Ares and Proteus AG (I think it was them). I believe it was in the Shadows of Europe book and it was described as the largest naval battle since WW2.

I'm starting a mini-campaign involving lots of underwater/piracy activity and it'd be cool to involve this somehow.
Ancient History
That would be in the Shockwaves (Shockwellen) campaign over in Germany for full details.
FlakJacket
Naval battle? Must have missed that. What prompted it?
Fortune
Skarn Ka wrote in this thread ...

[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
QUOTE (Ancient History)
That would be in the Shockwaves (Shockwellen) campaign over in Germany for full details.

Yep, it's in there.
After the death of Nachtmeister, Proteus wanted to buy-out the Frankfuter Bankenverein. The Bankenverein got help by Ares - and somehow Ares and Proteus are at war. Some ships are sunk (the ones Ares lost are not more detailed, neither what happened exactly). But Ares hit a Proteus Arcology at Romo with a Thor shot, so they got their vengeance.

it's a nice campaign - very challenging for the characters and with a lot impact. Only the last mission sucks. And the fact that the head of the FBV is a drake (are they everywhere?). ohplease.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Grinder)
It's a nice campaign - very challenging for the characters and with a lot impact. Only the last mission sucks.

How so?

And the fact that the head of the FBV is a drake (are they everywhere?). ohplease.gif

Well it kind of makes sense if the place used to be run by a great dargon. You'd want a trusted flunky in charge of it. Although keeping out of the reach of the other greats now that her benefactor is gone could be worrisome.
Grinder
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Grinder)
It's a nice campaign - very challenging for the characters and with a lot impact. Only the last mission sucks.

How so?

It plays in a space station iirc and all the "secret" head honchos of Proteus are there. It wasn't my cup of tea. But it's long ago since i read the book so i may be confusing sth.

I simply don't like the idea that dragons control the whole world and have their pawns (=drakes) in every second apartment building, disguised as the doorman. wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Whoa! Whoa! Waitaminute.

They are revealed, or just present?

No one ever mentioned this in the Shockwaves thread. I don't think.

Also, given Cross' ties to Proteus, I'm not completely surprised Ares got involved as an antagonist. I'd just be curious how much Ares knows about Proteus.
Grinder
The last chapter is titled "Proteus: The Full Truth" - there you can find the whole history of the corp, beginning with it's roots in the Goldammer-Stiftung iirc.

At the end of the campaign the corporate court decides about the fate of Proteus and installs a board of overseers or sth., made of members of the corporate court.

But that's all iirc cause i read the book a year or so ago and don't have the time to search it proberly (have to go to work soon). smile.gif
Nath
[ Spoiler ]

Oh, and yes, some time ago this discussion should have gone under a MJ Only or Spoiler tag, methink.
Fortune
QUOTE (Nath)
Oh, and yes, some time ago this discussion should have gone under a MJ Only or Spoiler tag, methink.

Most of this has already been openly posted in the thread I linked in my last post.
FlakJacket
I just had a thought. So if Nachtmeister was the power behind the FBV, does this mean that he and Celedyr were enemies? With the FBV backing the Sudanese government in Khartoum and Celedyr backing the southern rebels, it doesn't exactly point to all that good of a relationship.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
I just had a thought. So if Nachtmeister was the power behind the FBV, does this mean that he and Celedyr were enemies? With the FBV backing the Sudanese government in Khartoum and Celedyr backing the southern rebels, it doesn't exactly point to all that good of a relationship.

To the best of my knowledge, Nachtmeister and Celedyr weren't especially enemies.
I think they were more a "competing triangle" with Lofwyr.
You'll notice that with Nachtmeister out and the moving of the Marienbad Council and Schwartzkopf to the Czech Republic, there's only one last Big D left in Germany.
Do you have a reference regarding the FBV backing the Sudanese government ? I never saw any mention of that.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Nath @ Feb 6 2005, 11:31 PM)

Most of this has already been openly posted in the thread I linked in my last post.

Most: that is until Romo's Thoring.

I'm getting close to that point in my campaign and I know my players are sometimes lurking around the boards... and they may be attracted to this thread which title is not fully explixit eek.gif
Fortune
Oh well, I only repeated what you posted openly in another thread, including the info on the 'Thoring'. I went back and added a spoiler for appeasement purposes though.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, the incident was described in SOTA64, although "Thoring" was only mentioned as a possible means of explaining what happened.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (Fortune)
Oh well, I only repeated what you posted openly in another thread, including the info on the 'Thoring'. I went back and added a spoiler for appeasement purposes though.

I didn't think about your spoiler tag or link, rather what deals with the campaign's very end mentioned by Grinder.

No big deal anyway smile.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Skarn Ka @ Feb 7 2005, 07:07 AM)
Do you have a reference regarding the FBV backing the Sudanese government ? I never saw any mention of that.

Dragons of the Sixth World, page 56.
Nath
QUOTE (Moomin)
Can anyone give me a page reference for a paragraph or two mentioning a naval battle between Ares and Proteus AG (I think it was them). I believe it was in the Shadows of Europe book and it was described as the largest naval battle since WW2.

Oh, BTW, just came to come accross it, the reference to this event as "the biggest naval battle since Jutland" is in SOTA:2064, page 20, in the entry about MET2000/Argus.
BitBasher
But Ares hit a Proteus Arcology at Romo with a Thor shot, so they got their vengeance.
FREAKING OW! That had to suck.
FlakJacket
Not as much as getting taken over though.
mfb
it didn't actually reveal the names and associations of the apostles, did it?
BitBasher
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Not as much as getting taken over though.

I'd think the people in the arcology disagree. wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (Moomin @ Feb 5 2005, 03:24 PM)
Can anyone give me a page reference for a paragraph or two mentioning a naval battle between Ares and Proteus AG (I think it was them).  I believe it was in the Shadows of Europe book and it was described as the largest naval battle since WW2.

Oh, BTW, just came to come accross it, the reference to this event as "the biggest naval battle since Jutland" is in SOTA:2064, page 20, in the entry about MET2000/Argus.

There's also another reference to it's location (Sea of Japan) in the Top Ten Shadow News Stories section of the Culture Shock chapter under the story about the Rømø blast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012