Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vampirism In The 6th World...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Everyone's Chummer
Ohayo, chummers.
Something has been bothering me bout the SR universe. Can one be so daring as to say, make up your own rules concerning vampires in SR? I just feel that the disease being a virus lacks a little class, and what if one was to get this overwhelming need to pit your players against a 2000 year old killing machine? I need some opinions, and if your opinion is on the positive side, feel free to add advice on rules for this thing... nuyen.gif
DrJest
My game featured two kinds of vampire. The HMHVV vampires were a relatively recent phenomenon, and far more numerous. But there were True Vampires as well, all involved in an intricate jockeying for position based on elements taken from Highlander, Vampire: The Masquerade, The Great Game of the elves, etc. The PC's were peripherally involved since one of the vamps would occasionally hire them to pursue some goal that made little sense at the time - eg, breaking into a Renraku facility in San Fran to steal a flask of dried blood that was actually the "dead" form of a rival vampire so that the Johnson would have the rescuee owe him obligation.

The True Vampires were descended from Lazarus, the first vampire in the world. The secret point of their Game was believed to be to determine who was going to be allowed into Heaven, but there was no proof.
Jrayjoker
It is all up to you, but the players don't have to know that vampirism is a result of a virus, and who says there aren't 2000 year old vampires in the SR universe. Immortal elves made it through the down cycle, why not vamps.
Ancient History
<shrug> There was a 400-year-old nosferatu, a 2,000-year old bloodsucker isn't beyond imagination.
Snow_Fox
It's a virus with no cure, which seems...odd. You could probably work something on that.

If you read just the powers granted to vamps, enhanced senses and abilitys it's less how old they are than their atittude. You add essence to strength, body and quickness, ehanced sight, smell and hearing. and you've got someone in better shape than you average oylmpian. Think about it, average street Joe(scores all 3) gets his vampire essence to 6 and he's got straight 9's in physical stuff. He can hear you and smell you sneaking up on him. Outrun pursuers, shrug off hits that would stagger most urban brawlers and probably wrestle a troll.

Odds are this guy would learn some combat training/marttial arts so he's going to be better able to use his strength in a fight. and although it seems odd, for a vamp to use a gun, a GM might allow the ehanced vision to improve accuracy like optics.

We have a house rule that essence gets added to charisma too. explaining the draw of a vamp since popular litterature (Ann Rice, Laurel K Hamilton, Barbara Hambly) have vamps as stunningly beautiful.

All this is just the number crunching. as played a vamp could be a punk gang leader who runs through being tougher than his peers or a corporate boss who manipulates his peers.

the ones we've encounterred included:
A former mob enforcer who was running a health club.(and dining off the patrons)

A BTL dealer selling to HS student's (can't pay nuyen.gif -ok we'll deal)

A Music producer- who was legitimate but made us really really nervous.

A Race car driver who would weaken competiton he couldn't legitimately beat on the road.

A Corp lawyer (ok blood sucking lawyer, bad joke) Who ruled her division with an iron fist . apparent from turning her two secretaries into Vampiric pawns she didn't use her powers it just made her really tough when we got down to it.)

Enforcer at a brothel.

(that may seem like a lot but we've been playing on and off since 1st ed came out.)
Grinder
I would take a look at the Immortal Nazi Elves: they lived the during the 5,000 years-downcycle without much problems - so why shouldn't vampires being able to do the same? Maybe in some kind of deep silent slumber or sth. like that.

Remember: "it's a kind of magic, magic" wink.gif
akarenti
I believe the Incense Master of the Yellow Lotus Triad in Seattle is a "ancient chinese vampire" or something like that, for what its worth.
Zeel De Mort
Which books are this 400 year old Nosferatu and ancient Chinese Vampire in? I'm guessing an SR Novel and Underworld Sourcebook respectively? Just asking as I'd be interested to read what it says about them, and own neither of these. smile.gif

What's the explanation for them existing during the down cycle when the mana level is so low? Immunities (i.e. to age) still work, but other powers are curbed significantly or what?
Dizzo Dizzman
The Incense Master of the Yellow Lotus is mentioned in New Seattle. I haven't heard of immortal Nazi Elves before.

FlakJacket
The four hundred year old Nosferatu is from the novel 'Nosferatu' by Carl Sargent and Marc Gascoigne. The nazi reference is from the novel 'Worlds Without End' by Caroline Spector, where one of the IE's is mentioned to have become the girlfriend of one of the high ranking Nazi's in the 1930/40's - probably in a bid to gain influence and power.

Edit: The Yellow Lotus incense master also turns up in one of the published adventures, Mob War! I think it was.
Ancient History
The immortal Nazi elf is Alachia, natch.

Hibernation isn't really necessary, if someone with the dormant form of the virus is in an area during a mana surge, or bitten by someone with the active virus in such an area, then they'll transform. Hell, certain blood rituals on a site of power could conceivably build up enough juice.
FlakJacket
Maybe a strong enough power site, even during the down cycle if it's large enough, is capable of activating the virus. If like the Horrors they can survive with lower mana levels after the initial higher level, then you've a mobile vampire. If however they need the heightened mana level all the time to keep it active/survive that means they're now limited to a small area. Cue mysterious local reclusive lord living in spooky castle/mansion.

Say, wasn't it mentioned in one of the books recently that Ukraine annexed the Transylvania region of Romania? Maybe it was just territorial expansion but a powerful enough power site might be tempting. To a lot of people, both individuals and organisation, never mind governments. smile.gif
otaku mike
There was another vampire related topic some time ago, that refered to an even older topic on the previous incarnation of this forums.
I gathered the info and compiled/edited it.
You can download the PDF here:
LINK
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
The nazi reference is from the novel 'Worlds Without End' by Caroline Spector, where one of the IE's is mentioned to have become the girlfriend of one of the high ranking Nazi's in the 1930/40's - probably in a bid to gain influence and power.

She was Eva friggin' Braun!
Mensche
I like the idea of vampires and liches carrying over. even ghouls. ancient entities that masked themselves as humans or simply remain invisible.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Feb 6 2005, 05:46 PM)
The nazi reference is from the novel 'Worlds Without End' by Caroline Spector, where one of the IE's is mentioned to have become the girlfriend of one of the high ranking Nazi's in the 1930/40's - probably in a bid to gain influence and power.

damn, I bet she was kicking herself for picking the wrong pony.
wonder if that's a habit of hers?

I can see how that elitist garbage would be attractive to her though.
Ancient History
QUOTE (otaku mike)
There was another vampire related topic some time ago, that refered to an even older topic on the previous incarnation of this forums.
LINK

That's pretty good Mike. My only qualm is that it doesn't go into those creatures that can't pass on the virus, variants, or the Ordo Maximus. No biggy though.

Truth be told, I was worried you were going to bringup the ED vampire debate again... nyahnyah.gif
Garland
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
It's a virus with no cure, which seems...odd. You could probably work something on that.

There's a cure. It comes in 32 round detachable box magazines.

We have a house rule that essence gets added to charisma too. explaining the draw of a vamp since popular litterature (Ann Rice, Laurel K Hamilton, Barbara Hambly) have vamps as stunningly beautiful.

Oh, bleg.
Grinder
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)

So my face with charisma 6 but essence 3 (skillwires and other non-combat cyber) would be less attractive than the mage with charisma 6 and essence 6?

hm, don't know....
Ancient History
Yeah, but your face would be frickin' scarier.
Reaver
If you want to really mix the players up, have the "real" vampires be the one's from the world of darkness. Frankly, WOD vampires make a little more sense and you have a multitude of fluff to work with. The Camarilla and Sabbat also make a far more dangerous enemy to torque off.

Besides, the virus infected vampires are actually the creation of the masqeurade (or really weak generation, were not sure which). ;o)
otaku mike
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (otaku mike @ Feb 7 2005, 04:36 AM)
LINK

That's pretty good Mike. My only qualm is that it doesn't go into those creatures that can't pass on the virus, variants, or the Ordo Maximus. No biggy though.

Well, I'd like to say that I didn't write anything in that document, I just gathered the texts from the various posts, as most of them were writen IC.
For complaints, dig through the Dumpshock archives to find the original authors, or better, write something yourself you want me to add, and I'll add it to the doc. (But I guess you're a bit busy right now wink.gif )
Ancient History
Just a tad and hope to be busier. I do need to revise, expand, and update my Infected page.
BitBasher
Besides, the virus infected vampires are actually the creation of the masqeurade (or really weak generation, were not sure which). ;o)
If you believe that I think you should check your publish dates of SR versus VTM... smile.gif

[opinion rant]
I personally like SR vampires because they AREN'T a complete retread of hack authors and goths vampire fetishes. I like that the ledgends were off, and vamps aren't what people thought they were. I think that has a whole lot more character to do things with than some retread of WW or anne rice "I'm a vampire rock star that saved teh (intentional misspelling) world while staying angsty" bullshit. It's overdone, and it's totally unoriginal.

It's as lame as ninjas in black pyjamas not using gun wearing ruthenium or the combat hardened merc running the shadows with a totally generic background. It's the SR equivalent of schlock fiction. It's the B movie equivalent of roleplaying. It's munchkin logic on a stick.

Make characters not caricatures. Make a believable world filled with realistic characters with goals and dreams and aspirations, not cardboard cutout bad guys that are simply there for "wow" and "cool" factor.

IMHO SR should be about the players, NOT about the NPC's. The player's lives and their struggles are the star of the show. If an NPC overshadows the players, or god forbid joins the party and does their work for them just to seem cool, Then I think the GM is failing. The players should be attached to their characters and love the game because of the trials and difficulties they overcome, the personalities that make them living, breathing people. Focusing on cool enemies detracts from the players struggle and lives and turns the focus to the NPCs.

God I hate that. Sorry for the rant.
[/opinion rant]
Jrayjoker
Share how you really feel.....
=Spectre=
I was lucky enough once to have a GM who worked with me to play a vampire in his game. Fortunately, much like BitBasher there, I'd had my fill of the mausoleum-esque "vompwhors" from WoD. Mine never wore all black. She was particular partial to white leather which(who would have guessed) helped do things like reflect sunlight(not taht she was that crazy smile.gif ) and take the accentuation off her palid face. But more importantly, she was a predator in a predator's world. She didn't go around ghouling or turning everthing in sight, didn't morose forever over being undead, and didn't talk in overly cryptic phrases. She fed off the dregs of society, had a non-ghoul friend as a roommate/Fixer to keep her house together, and belonged to more tolerant faction of vampires in America which advocated running humanity from behind the scenes. (whereas the other one wanted to overturn all of human governments and corporations and become the hell-on-earth-if-you-aren't-a-vampire empire )
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Feb 7 2005, 06:06 AM)

No.

No.

She was also Queen Elizabeth.

5,000 years... You hit and miss. Sometimes you hit it into the parking lot, and other times the damn right fielder jumps the wall to catch it. It happens.
BitBasher
She was particular partial to white leather which(who would have guessed) helped do things like reflect sunlight(not taht she was that crazy  ) and take the accentuation off her palid face.
Funny thing about vamps in SR... They do not get killed by sunlight. They have a moderate allergy to sunlight. They at worst take only one box of damage every minute in direct sunlight and they regenerate all damage every three seconds. It's a pain in the ass, like a sunburn, and they may blister a bit or turn red (even that's debatable), but they can walk around in sunlight with some discomfort easily.

Also note in SR that vampires can definitely regenrate things they are allergic to. There is no "stick a stake in a vampire" then he's good and paralyzed. Even with the stake in him, he still regenerates all damage, including the stake, at the beginning of the combat turn.

As long as you play vampires as SR gives them to you, which is modern technology using armor wearaing citizens of the world that contracted a virus, then vamps are easily one of the nastiest stand up threats in the game. Add in their "above average disposition to magical activity" and any vampire can be a threat of nightmare like proportions.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Feb 7 2005, 02:28 AM)

No.

No.

5,000 years... You hit and miss. Sometimes you hit it into the parking lot, and other times the damn right fielder jumps the wall to catch it. It happens.

WHY!? I mean really is there a notable person in human history who isn't an Elf? Were Jesus, Mosus, JFK, Ceser roxor elves as well?

But back on topic, it is reather odd that people would want to bring up really old vampires, as for the most part vampire stories as we know them seem to be rather new in the real world. Well, it is odd at least for me.
tisoz
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Also note in SR that vampires can definitely regenrate things they are allergic to. There is no "stick a stake in a vampire" then he's good and paralyzed. Even with the stake in him, he still regenerates all damage, including the stake, at the beginning of the combat turn.

I thought maybe you had confused allergic with vulnerability, but it doesn't matter for the stake in the heart. I guess if the stake is still there next round it does damage again. So what's the TN for pulling a 2 inch diameter stake out of your own chest?
Ancient History
QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Feb 7 2005, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Feb 7 2005, 02:28 AM)

No.

No.

WHY!? I mean really is there a notable person in human history who isn't an Elf? Were Jesus, Mosus, JFK, Ceser roxor elves as well?

But back on topic, it is reather odd that people would want to bring up really old vampires, as for the most part vampire stories as we know them seem to be rather new in the real world. Well, it is odd at least for me.

Not as far as we know, though people keep mentioning Merlin and Richard the Lion-Hearted. Truth be told, it's the single aspect of Worlds Without End that people most bitch about.
Club
There seems to be a dif between the earthdawn undead and shadowrun undead. I'm waiting for the next mana jump, when the 'Viral undead' turn into 'Horror construct undead'. or maybe running wild will clear this up.

I read vampires as going malicious as hell, a manditory major personality change, as a side effect of becoming a HMHVV vampire. something no PC could survive intact, and mandating them becoming a NPC
Grinder
QUOTE (Cynic project)

Yep - the ones who had been dragons or drakes. biggrin.gif

I don't like the whole Immortal Nazi Elves Conspiracy so i don't use it in my world. INE exist, but they are not happen to be every interesintg person in history.
Fortune
I don't see what the big deal is about the IEs. So a few select people throughout history were in fact IEs. Why is that so hard to swallow? Why wouldn't some of them step into the limelight every now and then to further an agenda or two? It isn't like every single meaningful person in humankind's past is an Immortal Elf.
DrJest
Funny thing about vamps in SR... They do not get killed by sunlight. They have a moderate allergy to sunlight.

Alleviate Allergy. Dunno if it's still around in SR3, but in SR2 a nice quickened/locked alleviate allergy spell would let vamps wander around in daylight - and did, more than once. Boy howdy were those runners surprised...

as for the most part vampire stories as we know them seem to be rather new in the real world.

Well... what's your definition of "new"? China has had vampire legends for thousands of years. Middle and Eastern Europe have certainly had vampire stories for several hundred that I know about (I once spun a theory out of this that vampries orginiated in the Orient and had gradually worked their way westwards, but that's another matter).

See, vampires are like dragons. A surprisingly large number of civilisations have some kind of legend about either or both (allowing for cultural drift). Like most roleplayers, I went through a phase of mild interest in cryptozoology, and some variation of vampiric entity is common to more than half the globe. To get weird on you, consider this - since so many different cultures that had no contact with each other spawned so many similar legends, what are the odds that these legends are without any factual basis? Think on that when you try to get to sleep tonight... wink.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (DrJest @ Feb 7 2005, 08:01 PM)
To get weird on you, consider this - since so many different cultures that had no contact with each other spawned so many similar legends, what are the odds that these legends are without any factual basis? Think on that when you try to get to sleep tonight...  wink.gif

They also all believed in some form of divine being. So I guess you should say a bunch of prayers too. smile.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Club)
I read vampires as going malicious as hell, a manditory major personality change, as a side effect of becoming a HMHVV vampire. something no PC could survive intact, and mandating them becoming a NPC

Really? Whilst they could become fairly powerful and difficult for the GM to incorporate in some instances, I find that a little harsh, even leaving aside the enforced personality change. Going through the change and then either having to kill yourself or others in order to survive seems like some classic roleplaying opportunities to me. As long as it doesn't slip into 'Angst! Angst! Brooding!' territory. wink.gif
DrJest
QUOTE (kevyn668)
To get weird on you, consider this - since so many different cultures that had no contact with each other spawned so many similar legends, what are the odds that these legends are without any factual basis? Think on that when you try to get to sleep tonight...  wink.gif

They also all believed in some form of divine being. So I guess you should say a bunch of prayers too. smile.gif

Billions of people would argue that there IS a divine being (or more than one, depending on your religion). I wonder how many of them believe in vampires, though..?
kevyn668
QUOTE (DrJest)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Feb 7 2005, 08:19 PM)

Billions of people would argue that there IS a divine being (or more than one, depending on your religion). I wonder how many of them believe in vampires, though..?

Depends on the time frame and/or the person, I guess...

...?
Kanada Ten
I like that SR has extended demonic possession to viral infection.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Fortune)
I don't see what the big deal is about the IEs. So a few select people throughout history were in fact IEs. Why is that so hard to swallow? Why wouldn't some of them step into the limelight every now and then to further an agenda or two? It isn't like every single meaningful person in humankind's past is an Immortal Elf.

Just because of the way it's presented, it often feels like humanity couldn't do jack squat on their own, and we'd still be eating bugs and sleeping in mud huts if not for those IEs stepping in to be our best and brightest.
Fortune
That's just the the IEs' pro-elven bias showing through in their propaganda. smile.gif

Really though, there are not that many instances in canon of historical figures actually being Immortal Elves. It's only a few select individuals.

I like the idea myself. It adds a little spice, and makes quite a bit of sense ... to me at least.
Grinder
Sure it does make sense for you - you're one yourself wink.gif
BookWyrm
QUOTE (otaku mike)
LINK

The only problems I see with this article is that there's no references (No locations where the RPG info about the creature in question is & which book) and no useful game info about the 'new' strains (The creatures in "Other Mysteries" are completely new to me...and I've been reading the SR stuff since it began back in 1989!). But overall, this was a good read.
Cynic project
QUOTE (DrJest)
[QUOTE] since so many different cultures that had no contact with each other spawned so many similar legends, what are the odds that these legends are without any factual basis? Think on that when you try to get to sleep tonight... wink.gif

Well, without any factual basis these numbers are often thought of as holy or unholy in many cultures. 3,6,7,8,13.

There are many flood legands, many "garden of Eden's" many tails that the weather is caused by the "gods", that when you die you go to a happy place, that there is some powerful thing out there that cares enough about this world to watch over your shoulder but not enough to fix your problems... Here is a little trick, people tend to have a lot of things in common,even if they lived in different times and areas.

And yes,"vampire" like creatures have been in stories for a long time, they are not like the vampires we know of today.
Smiley
Are there rules for a PC vampire? If so, where? I seem to remember the SR2 ones being pretty horrid.
BookWyrm
There were some interesting rules in some old issues of Challenge Magazine. issue #45 had rules for playing a 'punk vampire' PC, #60 had some interesting variants, and #73 had a Vampire Hunter archetype.
Grinder
Vampires can't use cyber iirc because of their regeneration power. That sucks wink.gif
tisoz
Ther are no official rules for PC vampires and there never have been.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Grinder)
Vampires can't use cyber iirc because of their regeneration power. That sucks wink.gif

Well, according to canon sources way back that have never been superceded if a person had cyber before he was infected it continues to work. See the NPC "Nemesis" for a really frightening opponent. He was in a module, but which one escapes me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012