Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NINJAS!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Wounded Ronin
Yes, that's the story.

As just another example, here is an expose of West Wind martial arts schools, a fraudulent organization: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12882

Basically, I think that bullshido.net is a truly excellent source. No other online community goes around busting frauds with zest and expertise. This is why I recommend it so highly for when you want to learn something about martial arts.
Solstice
Please ninjas are retarded and so far overdone that they shouldn't even be allowed in games anymore. I did play a renegade ninjutsu practioner who had been forced out of her clan and was being hunted. I did it well so that the ninjutsu part was in the background of the real drama of being hunted by my former ninja clan while trying to start a running career.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Solstice)
Please ninjas are retarded and so far overdone...

That's the purpose. Ninjas are not supposed to be *cool*. Rather, they're more of a tribute to the obsessions and fears of the 1980s.

It's like Austin Powers. Austin Powers isn't supposed to be cool. He's supposed to be funny and remind us of 1960s spy cinema and over the top Cold War paranoia.

Similarly, when I play a ninja character, I'm not trying to be fun or cool or anything. I'm making fun of American (or possibly Japanese, depending on the details of the character) 1980s popular culture.
mfb
i like combining serious ninjas and hilarious ninjas. for instance, i've got a really badass physad ninja NPC--total munchkin. his Centering skill is "The Words of the Masters". the "Masters", in this case, are his collection of 1980s ninja cinema, which he studies and contemplates.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Feb 12 2005, 09:18 PM)
Yes, that's the story.

As just another example, here is an expose of West Wind martial arts schools, a fraudulent organization: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12882

Basically, I think that bullshido.net is a truly excellent source.  No other online community goes around busting frauds with zest and expertise.  This is why I recommend it so highly for when you want to learn something about martial arts.

But I was reading the recent forum re: "rad ki" and watching the video of someone trying to prove it works, and it occured to me that some people are probably messing with the bullshido users themselves for the attention. Since it's not beyond the realm of comprehension that people troll. They do it for self-help resources, why not bullshido.net?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (mfb)
His Centering skill is "The Words of the Masters". The "Masters", in this case, are his collection of 1980s ninja cinema, which he studies and contemplates.

Heh. Reminds me of a friend of mine that studied Ninjutsu in the back of a video store. Apparently they had more than enough space for a dojo in the back and the instructor was very good, even if the location was a little odd. He still felt weird wandering through the store past people browsing videos to get to classes though. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Feb 13 2005, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Feb 12 2005, 09:18 PM)
Yes, that's the story.

Basically, I think that bullshido.net is a truly excellent source.  No other online community goes around busting frauds with zest and expertise.  This is why I recommend it so highly for when you want to learn something about martial arts.

But I was reading the recent forum re: "rad ki" and watching the video of someone trying to prove it works, and it occured to me that some people are probably messing with the bullshido users themselves for the attention. Since it's not beyond the realm of comprehension that people troll. They do it for self-help resources, why not bullshido.net?

There are a lot of trolls and gimmicks on bullshido.net. However, most people know who they are and either ignore them, curse them out, or play along with them. One of the most famous trolls is the user "kungfoolss", who for *years* has run a flawless gimmick. The man is driven, and once you realize he's a gimmick he's hilarious.

But yes, you're right, there are definitely trolls and gimicks. However, that doesn't nullify the existence of the helpful resources that may be found at bullshido.net in the form of knowledgable individuals or threads containing information on exposed frauds.
Wounded Ronin
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread...83&page=1&pp=15

This thread concerns Stephen Hayes, the famous ninjutsu instructor, and how he was "killed" during a simulation exercise put on by the Discovery Channel in which he was competing against a SEAL team.

Fun stuff.
hobgoblin
looks like the whole bullshido site have gone 403, maybe the ninjas got em?
tisoz
I got it to work by deleting the "&pp=15".

I have to add, whenever I see Ninja or Sniper I sort of cringe inside. frown.gif
Wounded Ronin
Yeah, the link works with http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21883

The thread had been moved by the admin to "Walter Mitty's RBSD Hideout", which is where all the troll threads are consigned, probably because 2 people got into a big fight on it.

EDIT: Grar, you just gotta C&P that link.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (tisoz)
I have to add, whenever I see Ninja or Sniper I sort of cringe inside. frown.gif

I don't cringe unless I see "Ninja Sniper" biggrin.gif
toturi
Ha! I'm a Book neeeeen-ja!
hermit
Well, let's just say that cyber-ninjas with ruthenium camouflage (or magic, we never really found out for sure) are a terrible pain in the ass, especially when they're fast-moving physads and all Ultrasound imaging of them is unreliavble ... oh, and they of course spontaneouly combust when killed. Sheesh. Not even loot. they were fun, though, kinda, though I would have preferred a better reason than "we needded to hone our skills" for that assault.

Don't like Ninjas, as seen in cheesy karate movies, much, myself. Just won't fit into my view of a dystopian cyberpunkish world.

Now, sleek stealthy asssassin physads who wear black jumpsuits for convenience (or even the dreaded Motoko Kusanagi model full-body cyborg ninja) are a completely different matter ...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (tisoz @ Feb 27 2005, 08:20 PM)
I got it to work by deleting the "&pp=15".

I have to add, whenever I see Ninja or Sniper I sort of cringe inside.  frown.gif

Sniper fascination is painful, I'll agree.

The best part about sniper fascination is how the people who always make sniper characters are totally ignorant of the fact that getting away, not taking the shot, is the hard part...

So you just have to have the shot always work, but then the PC gets completely lit up.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
The best part about sniper fascination is how the people who always make sniper characters are totally ignorant of the fact that getting away, not taking the shot, is the hard part...

So you just have to have the shot always work, but then the PC gets completely lit up.

Our poor sniper last night has seven dice for Stealth, and kept rolling 4's and 5's. I think she rolled one 6 the entire night to reroll. Nearly bought it, the poor girl.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012