Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mage vs. Shaman
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Crimson Jack
Got this idea from a post in another thread. If you had to pick one to play over the other, which would you prefer and why?

Myself, I'm voting Mage. I like being able to keep elementals on call (not hindered by the sun-up/sun-down time restriction). I also like that the method of magic is based more on a mathematical approach, less on a connection with the environment.
kevyn668
Here we go.

I went Mage. I just don't like shamans.
Kagetenshi
Mage. Enough of this "faith-based" magic.

~J
Crimson Jack
Oh, please elaborate kevyn. Lets heat this thread up. wink.gif
Sammiel
i voted shaman, but thats because the spontaneous summoning of elementals suits the playstyle of people I run with.
Capt. Dave
Mages just seem more fun; I just like playing them better. You get to play them however you want, without following a totem guideline. Plus, elementals are just so darn handy.

I've just now started playing a Wujen. Never done it before, but I like the combination of hermetic and shamanistic elements. That, and it's something new. Can't wait to see how it turns out...
kevyn668
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Feb 7 2005, 12:20 AM)
Oh, please elaborate kevyn.  Lets heat this thread up.  wink.gif

Edit: Wait and see. Wait and see...

What? No "Phys Ad vs. Sam" poll? smile.gif
CanvasBack
Shaman. Sure, you have to drink the Kool-AidTM but if you have a character of modest means a shaman is both a cheap way to go and makes for interesting story.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
I've just now started playing a Wujen. Never done it before, but I like the combination of hermetic and shamanistic elements. That, and it's something new. Can't wait to see how it turns out...

I have a Wujen PC in my play group that I GM, Cap. We created a Spirit of Metal to fit in with the belief in the five elements that practitioners follow... and we've made extremely fun use of the ancestral spirit summoning angle.
Capt. Dave
So I wasn't the only one to notice the lack of a Spirit of Metal. Good.
Ancestor spirits would be interesting with this character, as she's a fox shapeshifter.
kevyn668
QUOTE (CanvasBack)
Shaman. Sure, you have to drink the Kool-AidTM but if you have a character of modest means a shaman is both a cheap way to go and makes for interesting story.

I can make a pretty good mage with 90k. If I don't feel like getting the (practically) obligatory Sustaining Spell Focuse: 1 (Inc Reflexes +3), I could easily go cheaper. Either way, I don't have to ahere to any belief system.

Don't get me wrong, I like to run with Shamans but I just don't like to play them. They always seem so...binding to me.
Toshiaki
And on this weeks episode of "The Odd Coven...."

I will usually go with Shaman because I like the Totem interaction. You can get some really good RP opportunities out of that.
lorthazar
Personally I like the Shaman just a bit better than the Hermetic mage, but the the vote is 1001/999.

Shamans are infinitely more flexible, but suffer in that it takes days to erect a decent rating lodge to stop astral intrusion. Whereas in a few hours a Mage can whip up a decent circle.

Now for on the spot summoning you can't beat a Shaman. With a decent charisma you can have a powerful ally no matter the location.

As for restrictive totems if you read the totem correctly you can always pick one that fits your style of play. Me personally I tend towards Coyote, Dog, and Bear, but I also once played a Gargoyle.

kevyn668
Shamans are infinitely more flexible, but suffer in that it takes days to erect a decent rating lodge to stop astral intrusion. Whereas in a few hours a Mage can whip up a decent circle.

Shamans are only as flexible as the totem. TN mods b/c of not being under an open sky or during the daylight, or essence penalties can really suck depending on your situation.
toturi
Shamans are more flexible, even with their totem disadvantages. A good shaman player would avoid using magic when they are at a disadvantage and spam spells/spirits when it is to their advantage. And that does not preclude the shaman from dispelling, spell defense and banishing.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (toturi)
Shamans are more flexible, even with their totem disadvantages. A good shaman player would avoid using magic when they are at a disadvantage and spam spells/spirits when it is to their advantage.

Unless you're a zerker shaman (Badger, Bear, Shark). A good mage player would simply calculate the odds and beat feet out of there when the situation turns sour.
CanvasBack
QUOTE (kevyn668)
I can make a pretty good mage with 90k. If I don't feel like getting the (practically) obligatory Sustaining Spell Focuse: 1 (Inc Reflexes +3), I could easily go cheaper. Either way, I don't have to ahere to any belief system.

I don't know. If you think 90k is 'modest means'...

I'm talking 20k at most for a starting character.

My favorite rat shaman of all time started in the ghetto and didn't have none of dat book learnin'. Just a strong personal relationship with RAT and silver tongue with the spirits (and the honeys).

...and he had no problem in adhering to RAT's code/belief system either.

biggrin.gif
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (CanvasBack)
Just a strong personal relationship with RAT and silver tongue with the spirits (and the honeys).

For some reason, I don't see a rat shammie as a playah. biggrin.gif
CanvasBack
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
QUOTE (CanvasBack @ Feb 6 2005, 10:32 PM)
Just a strong personal relationship with RAT and silver tongue with the spirits (and the honeys).

For some reason, I don't see a rat shammie as a playah. biggrin.gif

Shows what you know my man...

Why do you think RAT be multi-plyin' all da time?

biggrin.gif
Fortune
Shaman all the way! I've played my share of Mages, but they never have inspired me as much as the shamanic ones. Especially my Leopard Shaman. biggrin.gif
Garland
Shaman. Totems (Idols, whatever) are great hooks. And I like the "spirit anywhere, anytime" thing, too.

And, if you do something stupid, you can always play it off by saying "Dog told me so. Sorry, guys."
Grinder
Mages. I think they are more versatile, avoiding those roleplaying guidelines for shamas (who have to act according to their chosen totem in our SR-world). And Elementals rock!
Fortune
QUOTE (Grinder @ Feb 7 2005, 11:27 PM)
And Elementals rock!

Only if they're of the Earth variety. wink.gif
Grinder
A while back the mage i played was well-kwown for summoning the biggest bad-ass fire elementals in whole san francisco. Way cool.

That was 2nd edition, when fireball was a cool spell (i even had a fireball-focus) and "great form" ghosts didn't exist. (forget the name of the ability... ).
Xirces
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Feb 7 2005, 11:27 PM)
And Elementals rock!

Only if they're of the Earth variety. wink.gif

Urge. to. kill... increasing..... must not stab Fortune in the eyes. smile.gif
JoeJones
I chose shaman, since I like having hooks to help flesh out my character, and I also like the ability to summon spirits anywhere and any time.

That being said, I've never actually played a spellslinger of any variety in SR, but I'm currently playing a Totem's Way adept who follows Bull.
U_Fester
QUOTE (CanvasBack)

My totem did not appreciate that quote and said that you must be punished with a fireball
James McMurray
I've played one spellcaster and he was a wolf shaman. I had a blast with him, but the next time I play a caster it will be a mage.
Lindt
From a purely roleplaying angle I like shamens better. So much more... flavor. More restrictive, a little less verstile (and Im ALL about versitility) but still fun. And as someone said, you can make boneheaded moves and put it on your totem (as long as its the truth).
CanvasBack
QUOTE (U_Fester @ Feb 7 2005, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (CanvasBack @ Feb 6 2005, 11:29 PM)
Shaman.  Sure, you have to drink the Kool-AidTM but if you have a character of modest means a shaman is both a cheap way to go and makes for interesting story.

My totem did not appreciate that quote and said that you must be punished with a fireball

Does your totem burst through walls and pour himself into small glasses and cups to relieve the thirst of small children by any chance?

"Oh YEAH!!!"

I guess I'll have to keep away from brick walls and keep my spell defense up! biggrin.gif
U_Fester
QUOTE (CanvasBack)
I guess I'll have to keep away from brick walls and keep my spell defense up! biggrin.gif

Just remeber that no barrier is safe with him.
Eyeless Blond
I like the flavor of mages better, but when you get into the need for Sorcery, Conjuring *and* Enchanting libraries, it starts getting a little annoying. Personally I'd rather house-rule that conjuring libraries cost 1.5 times as much and forget the others. For conjuring I can see the balance reason, as elementals are just so much cooler than nature spirits (well, I guess Concealment and Storm are pretty cool, but Aid Study and spell sustaining are just that much cooler). Hermatic spellcasting or enchanting, though aren't any better than shamanistic, certainly not enough to necessitate the outrageously expensive library.
hahnsoo
That's only if you own your own library. A lot of hermetics in the 6th world are content to go to the local magic library, head to their initiate group, or borrow their talismonger's library for an occasional ritual. And of course, Hermetic libraries on disk can be copied and sold...
tisoz
What does it cost to 'rent' a hermetic library for a month, 1/100th its value?
Crimson Jack
I wouldn't imagine that the variety of library that one would actually want would be possible to rent, would it?
kevyn668
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I wouldn't imagine that the variety of library that one would actually want would be possible to rent, would it?

Huh?
Sandoval Smith
I think that MitS has rules for renting Hermetic library access from Universities, Libraries, and the like, although I suppose that also means you're mage needs to have a good, legit cover ID before they can get access to them.
Dancer
QUOTE (tisoz @ Feb 8 2005, 01:56 AM)
What does it cost to 'rent' a hermetic library for a month, 1/100th its value?

100 nuyen.gif * rating per HOUR. A smallish (rating 5) library for an 8-hour work day costs 4000 nuyen.gif .
tisoz
That is why mages rule. They can start with a rating 6 library for Sorcery, conjuring, and enchanting. Then they rent them out to SINless for nuyen.gif 600 an hour each. Then a little after 8 hours they have nuyen.gif 15,000 and trade it for 3 points of Karma. smile.gif

Really, any character could buy the libraries. This seems like a nice little money maker for the day job flaw. Conan the librarian.
Dancer
To start with all three libraries at a decent level, a mage needs Priority B resources. To start with any usable library at all (and hence be able to use Conjuring) they need priority C. Unless a shaman wants to have lots of foci or contacts they don't need above D. Clear advantage to the Shaman there.
akarenti
I think the extra expense of a mage is worth it because (if for no other reason) elementals can be called in toxic domains, haunts, and the personal domains of free spirits. Those are pretty dangerous places (read: places Shadowrunners are likely to be sent to), and shamans get a bit less useful with no spirits.
NightHaunter
This is close about 55% mage.
And about 45% shaman if your math sucks.

wobble.gif
Birdy
As the corporate hit team says:

A mage is resonably rational and can be controlled - brainwash!

A shaman is a delusional crazy and uncontrolable - shoot!

Simply hate shamans. They have a tendency for accidents when most of my chars are around. Good ridance.

Birdy

Prospero
I've tended to play mages in the past. I've only played shamans as NPCs while GMing. Dunno, mages just appeal to me more. Maybe I'll make a shaman soon, just cause I never have.
Jrayjoker
I prefer Shamanic PCs just because the adventure hooks are easier to come up with...
mfb
see, there's this perception with shamans that their totems are constantly leading them around by the nose, like they're some kind of cleric or something. that's not how it works, though. shamans are just mages who exemplify certain ideals.
Jrayjoker
You say that like it is a bad thing mfb.

I like to roleplay it a little bit of both.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (mfb)
see, there's this perception with shamans that their totems are constantly leading them around by the nose, like they're some kind of cleric or something. that's not how it works, though. shamans are just mages who exemplify certain ideals.

Depends on how far your GM is willing to use this as a plot point, I think. Sometimes the GMs "spiritually blackmail" shamans when they want the team to do something in particular ("Dog wants you to trust the Johnson"), and I think that this is fully justified under the shaman archetype. But that's dependent on individual games and groups.
mfb
eh. i just don't tend to see the totems as being all that hands-on. i've never liked the "your god says to do this" school of plot hooks, even in D&D. it's just lazy, to me; there are better, less heavy-handed ways of achieving the desired results.
lorthazar
Well, heavy handed does not need to come into the equation. Now any runner will put their neck on the line for family and friends, but 99% will cut and run if it becomes obvious they will most likely die. A Dog Shaman will fight on determined to save his loved ones. Snake shamans are driven by a curiousity that borders on the obsessive. Wolf Shamans make even the stoutest Samurai look like a Ronin. Rat Shamans are excellent survivors and more than willing to take his share and yours. Now I have played characters like this without the Totem, but somehow it is more fun when your GM "<insert totem> is proud." Worth every bit of trauma.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012