Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swap Memory
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Luca
How much time for uploading utilities?
The "Swap memory" section in SRp.219 says to look for the section "ongoing operation" p.214-215. HOWEVER IT DOES NOT SOLVE THE MYSTERY!!!
How many seconds (or turn) a utility requires to be uploaded?
I think it is a function of the dimnsion in mp but I do not know which rate to use for teh uploading process (that is loading a utility from the storage memory to the active memory). I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the I/o speed (which deals with deck-matrix relationships while uploading a utility is a relationship between to pieces of the deck (active & storage memory).
Adam
No need for all caps - we can hear you just fine. wink.gif

The I/O Speed of a deck does govern uploads and downloads, including swapping utilities from Passive to Active Memory, in MP per Combat Turn. p. 207, SR3.
JudgeIto78
According to my research and little cheat sheet, the Swap Memory function is a simple action, which means you can do it twice a round or once then something else.

Much of the Matrix stuff seems to correlate cybercombat with actual combat, so swapping "utilities" in the Matrix is much like swapping "weapons" in regular combat, which is generally a simple action.

Once this is done, if you have the amount of active memory available, the program is there and then begins uploading to your icon. The time in which that happens is listed under whatever specific operation you are doing (either sucesses or by seconds).

Hope this helps
Luca
well, but doing two things together do not always is an advantage because the total I/O speed is counted per turn: therefore it must be divided by passes inside a turn and, inside passes, by number of actions.
Am I wrong?
For example one has I\O speed of 400 mp but want to download 400 mp of data and upload 400 mp of utility.
Let suppose that there are 2 passes:
1st pass= 1st simple action (swap memory of 100 mp of utility) + 2nd simple action (downloading 100 mp of data);
2nd pass= 1st simple action (swap memory of 100 mp of utility) + 2nd simple action (downloading 100 mp of data);
RESULT: (sorry the caps!) the 2nd turn will be identical and so the data and the utility will be ready for the beginning of the 3rd turn (if the decker is still alive!!!)
Much better to use 2 simple action in the first pass (total 200 mp) + 2 simple action in the second pass (total another 200 mp) = 400 mp per turn only to Swap Memory and have the utility ready for the beginning of the 2nd turn, kill the IC and, is successful, download the data after the combat.
Another question: why sr3 page 215 under "Ongoing operation" in the example the uploading of a utility is measured in seconds to be converted in turns while the "Swap Memory" operation (used to upload utilities) do not mentions second but uses the I/O speed which is already in turns???
Is it another bug in SR3???
Panzergeist
That's a simple action to initiate a swap memory operation, not to complete it. The IO speed is per turn, not per action. You divide the IO speed by the number of initiative phases you get in a combat turn, and that is the IO speed per initiative pass. If you spend multiple actions on SWAP memory, that allows you to queue up a series of swap memory operations, but it doesn't let you do it any faster. There is a trick in the Matrix book wherein you can increase your IO speed stripping your icon operations down to the bare bones, which basically means you can't do anything that requires a roll. Does anyone know if you can initiate mutliple program swaps with a single swap memory action?
Endgame50
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
Does anyone know if you can initiate mutliple program swaps with a single swap memory action?

Yes, it's called Multiplexing (Matrix pg 21)

To multiplex you divide your I/O between different tasks any way you'd like. Multiplexing does not use any actions besides those required by the system operation and takes no tests.
Luca
Yes, but it remains as amatterof fact the the I/Ospeedper trun remains teh same, as alos exlained in Matrix page 21. You could divide the I/o speed bu differrent upoloads wit ha single simple action.-...but if you want to do another I\O user simple action (like downloading data) use must divide the I\o speed counting that download too.
Endgame50
QUOTE (Luca)
Yes, but it remains as amatterof fact the the I/Ospeedper trun remains teh same, as alos exlained in Matrix page 21. You could divide the I/o speed bu differrent upoloads wit ha single simple action.-...but if you want to do another I\O user simple action (like downloading data) use must divide the I\o speed counting that download too.

Please, please, use the spell check.

Anyway, multiplexing is different than the trick Panzer mentioned. Personally, I wouldn't use it--it's really dangerous, but it does work. Otherwise, why not just upgrade your I/O speed? It's pretty cheap and easy to do.
Luca
sorry, I'm Italian and not so used to type in this language!
Where are written the rules for upgrading stuff like I/O speed? (both is noraml SR rulesnad upgraded Matrix rules?)
In any case the real disadvantage is that if teh Master wants to use "Matrix" the I\O speed depends on the kind of connection.
Endgame50
Understood. I imagine I wouldn't do so well trying to type in Italian myself.

Upgrading I/O is under Cyberterminal construction in the matrix, on page 57. A decent connection will get you an I/O of 500, which is enough to work with.

As for multiplexing, I wouldn't do it unless I had a program that was smaller than my I/O--which I'm sure it's intended for.

An alternative would be to increase your Active memory so you can hold more programs in active memory at once (I do that--all my programs are active at once) so you don't need to upload programs as much.
Panzergeist
I know you can do multiple uploads and downloads at once, that's not what I asked. What I asked is, can you initiate more than one with a single simple action.
Endgame50
QUOTE (Panzergeist @ Feb 16 2005, 08:19 AM)
I know you can do multiple uploads and downloads at once, that's not what I asked.  What I asked is, can you initiate more than one with a single simple action.

Right... and like I said... you can with multiplexing. It doesn't take extra actions or tests besides the system operation required.

So, you perform swap memory. That takes a simple action. Using multiplexing, you can initiate as many swaps at the same time as you want, as long as you parcel out the I/O appropriately.

If you wanted to do a memory swap + begin a download, it'd take two actions--one to begin swap memory, then one to download file.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012