Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's up with securetech armor?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Charon
Am I missing something about the securetech armor? They're just better than their normal counterpart for a lower price.

Armor Jacket : 5/3, concealability 6, 900$
Secure Jacket : 5/3. concealability 9, 850$

Lined Coat : 4/2, Conc. 8, 700$
Secure Long coat, conc 10, 650$

They're ALL like this. It made no sense when it appeared in SSC and it's even more idiotic when they appear on top of each other in SR3.

Not that's it's hard to fix, ignore or live with. It just makes no sense! I hate it when things make no sense...

Ya know what? One of these day I'll design a run where the runners are hired by Ares to extract the geniuses working at the marketing department of whichever company produces these inferior product at a superior price and still manages to stay in business!

Next run will be Ares hiring the runners to extract the geniuses working at securetech in the production department who manage to produce these armor at such a low cost while increasing concealability by as much as 50%.

Ares will put these guys to work together and then they will conquer the world.
Endgame50
Heh heh. Yeah, there's not much that really justifies the way Securetech armor is priced. That's probably why they decided Securetech armor is too "ergonomically tailored" to be able to accept armor modifications (CC p 52) like the Chemical Seal or Fire Resistance. Take that, Securetech! (Yet FFBA can accept those mods... huh)

On a side note, Securetech armor tends to be marginally heavier. Not a big deal unless you're playing with encumberance rules and have low strength though.
Charon
QUOTE (Endgame50 @ Feb 17 2005, 03:39 AM)
On a side note, Securetech armor tends to be marginally heavier. Not a big deal unless you're playing with encumberance rules and have low strength though.

Yeah, that's true.

That makes even more sense : Heavier AND more concealable.

They must use a secret super dense material so the armor can be thiner but winds up heavier.

Let's see if it can be melted and turned into AV ammo.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Charon)
That makes even more sense : Heavier AND more concealable.

In the field of body armor that can in fact happen, and it is certainly possible the heavier and more concealable alternative is cheaper to produce. Consider, for example, the following 10" x 12" (25cm x 30cm) rifle protection plates designed to be worn alone, providing NIJ Level III protection:
Polyethylene, 0.75" (1.9cm) thick, 1.4kg, $380
Steel, 0.25" (0.64cm) thick, 4.1kg, $110
(Source: BulletProofMe.Com)

There are plenty of materials of which body armor is weaved, and there is a lot of variety in density, strength/thickness and cost. A situation where more concealable (less thick but perhaps equally flexible) but heavier armor would end up costing less to produce is conceivable, and that's excluding any other factors which affect market price.

Of course, with the weight of items being a complete non-issue in most SR games, while Concealability remains very important, these items might be out of balance. Go ahead and correct them, if you will. I use strict encumbrance (house) rules, so this would be no problem for me even if I used canon pieces of body armor.
RunnerPaul
From what I understand, the Securetech was originally intended to be an "Errata" to the armor clothing stats that were in the original Big Blue Book, but unfortunately, the intent wasn't well communicated or documented among the developers at FASA in the early first edition days, so both the core rulebook's "Generic" armor clothing, and the Street Samurai's Catalog Securetech ended up persisting throughout the editions, until the Cannon Companion authors decided to further distinguish the two.
CoalHeart
Isn't Securetech armor suppose to enhance concealability of any holsters or items hidden underneath it to a large degree?
I think that's why it costs more, and can't take mods. It has some kind of anti scanner layer that takes up most of it's weave.

If not. Then I'm completely mistaken and this should be fixed up a bit give it some kind of perk for the higher cost.
Modesitt
SecureTech armor can be forced to make sense. The trick is this: You have to assume it is just a Brand Name.

I talk about this a bit here.

My personal opinion is that you should view it as a precursor to the armor outlined in CC. It's basically a brand name with strange traits all its own that don't really make much sense.
BitBasher
Or, it's cheaper because it cannot accept armor mods of any kind, like nonconductive or insulated. This makes it pretty damn unattractive in my games. Those are popular.
U_Fester
That is what I think it is. The higher concealability is offset by the fact that it can not be moded and this is also why it is cheaper.
Charon
QUOTE (U_Fester @ Feb 17 2005, 12:24 PM)
That is what I think it is.  The higher concealability is offset by the fact that it can not be moded and this is also why it is cheaper.

Didn't notice that.

But in that case you have the explanation backward. The securetech has been cheaper with higher concealability back since SSC in 1991 or so. Only with CC has mod been introduced.

So the 'No mod' rule for securetech has been added over a decade after introduction of the wacky stats, therefore the rule was made because of the stats, not the price fixed because of the rule.

So I guess I should amend my question to : What were the designers thinking at the time?

biggrin.gif

BTW : While cracking open my Street Samurai Catalog, I noticed that form fitting armors are introduced in the page opposite to securetech clothing. And while reading that entry, I noticed that back then, FFA was not usable with other forms of body armor. Nowadays they stack with no penalty.

Things have changed since the 'old days', eh?
Nikoli
Also, didn't the fluff text describe the securetech as being for law-enforcement types, that it was modeled after "respectable" clothing type stuff. I know the old SSC pictures showed cheezy, detective type styling
tisoz
It said it came in a full range of designer styles and colors.
The Grifter
And don't we all just need designer body armor?
Charon
No, we don't. What we really need are armored bathing suits.

Beach runs are the worst.

tisoz
Paradise Lost
The Grifter
Yeah, I can see a Troll in an armored bikini. Yuck.
Nikoli
Wouldn't it have to be armored? How else would it "hold up"
The Grifter
There goes my lunch. Cheers, chummer. LOL
paul_HArkonen
I thought that was what things like second skin armor was for, so you could go to the beach and not look like you were crazy.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

This is a bit of a non sequitur, but I was poking around the site and noticed the ballistic goggles. Any idea if it's possible to put prescription lenses in the low profile sunglass style goggles?
The Grifter
I'm sure if they have the technology to make cybernetic eyes it would be quite easy.
Arethusa
Um, I'm kind of talking about reality. You know, the one that matters.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Feb 17 2005, 05:39 AM)

This is a bit of a non sequitur, but I was poking around the site and noticed the ballistic goggles. Any idea if it's possible to put prescription lenses in the low profile sunglass style goggles?

Edited: Arethusa answered my question.
The Grifter
Reality? What's that?
mfb
they're just cool-looking safety glasses, which do come in prescription. the BCG glasses issued by the military perform the same function.
Arethusa
Do you have any information on where I could get prescription lenses for these and what it might cost? All I know is that wraparound sunglasses and anything with curved lenses get rejected by most places, or at least the places I go to for lenses.
Eyeless Blond
Generally you can't, unless you have a very specific (read: small) perscription. Even then it's usually not possible without ending up with really thick lenses towards the sides, and having your eyes pointed anywhere but straight forward would distort everything pretty badly.
mfb
hm. i didn't think about that. what i actually meant was, they're cool-looking safety glasses, and safety glasses come in prescription. i don't know if cool-looking safety glasses come in prescription or not.
Fresno Bob
Yeah, I can see a Troll in an armored bikini.

Oh man, for the first time I just realized that such a thing would indeed exist in SR. Thanks for the mental image.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Generally you can't, unless you have a very specific (read: small) perscription. Even then it's usually not possible without ending up with really thick lenses towards the sides, and having your eyes pointed anywhere but straight forward would distort everything pretty badly.

Hm. That's unfortunately what I was expecting. I don't suppose you know any ways around/of managing that, or similar models of goggles that are shaped to accept prescription lenses?
mfb
actually, it shouldn't be all that hard. it'd be like those smooth transition bi/trifocals, basically. you wouldn't lack peripheral vision any moreso than you do with normal glasses, unless you're one of those godless freaks who can see sideways. and, well, even then, you still wouldn't lose more peripheral vision than you do with normal glasses.

i should market this idea. i'll be rich, and arethusa will have his goggles. everybody wins.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Feb 17 2005, 08:41 PM)

Though, one could make something akin to modern bifocals, where only an area of the sunglasses is prescription. That would make it no less inconvenient than normal glasses.

Argh, beaten by mfb.
kevyn668
QUOTE (The Grifter)
Reality? What's that?

I was going to ask if he meant IRL or in SR.
mfb
huzzah, i win! 2 karma.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Feb 17 2005, 08:41 PM)

Hm. That's unfortunately what I was expecting. I don't suppose you know any ways around/of managing that, or similar models of goggles that are shaped to accept prescription lenses?

You could get contacts and buy the regular goggles.
mfb
or join the army, put in a 4187 to join the 82nd, and get in line for free laser eye surgery. that's right--in the army, they shoot you with laser beams for free.
Eyeless Blond
Hm. I suppose that's possible, but would they look even remotely cool? They'd probably be hellishly expensive, too, and the lens would have to be tailor-made for the frame, instead of just being cut from a larger lens like they are now.

Basically they'd be hellishly expensive, far more than the ~$4-500 a decent pair of glasses costs nowadays. What would you be willing to pay for something like that?
kevyn668
What are you refering to?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (mfb)
or join the army, put in a 4187 to join the 82nd, and get in line for free laser eye surgery. that's right--in the army, they shoot you with laser beams for free.

You know, by SR prices, it's not all that much more expensive to install a Smartlink...
hyzmarca
SecureTech isn't cheaper when you factor in availability and street index. After factoring in street index the Secure Jacket is 100 Nuyen more than the the standard armored jacket.

SecureTech is better so it is more popular. As a result, the manufacturer can sell it at a lower price. However, it is more expensive and more difficult to find on the street because everyone wants it.

Secure clothing, on the other hand, even has a lower street index than armored clothing. I really don't get that.
Dog
maybe securetech's just uglier
I mean, Wal-Mart says they got 'designer styles' too. It doesn't mean anything.
Maybe it just comes in a couple of styles. What does 'wide range' mean?
If it doesn't come in 'grubby alley-runner' style you probably can't use it lots of times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012