Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR player education level
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Solstice
My running theory is that SR players are 1) more educated than the general public and 2) more educated that other RPG players. Interesting question in my opinion and it fits well with the other topics that seem to be out at the moment. Feel free to post whatever comments. It's also nice to learn a little more about who is who on dumpshock. Post your major also if you'd like.
Arethusa
As a community college student, I crave shame. I demand a separate option for community college, you insensitive clod.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Solstice)
My running theory is that SR players are 1) more educated than the general public and 2) more educated than other RPG players. Interesting question in my opinion and it fits well with the other topics that seem to be out at the moment. Feel free to post whatever comments. It's also nice to learn a little more about who is who on dumpshock. Post your major also if you'd like.

Careful with that one. All of folks around here play multiple systems. smile.gif

I have a Bachelor's. In Psychology. Which means I'm qualified to be entertaining at cocktail parties. And that's about it. smile.gif
The Grifter
High school, barely. And military, if that counts. Now that I'm thinking about it, it probably doesn't. LOL
Cray74
Bachelors (in materials engineering, surprise), several years work experience in materials engineering, going into masters program in Fall.

My running theory is that SR players are 1) more educated than the general public and 2) more educated that other RPG players.

There's an interesting seniority trend among Battletech players, too. Quite a few people in their late 20s and early 30s, presumably with a high proportion of college degrees. It may be a factor of when the game was introduced.
hahnsoo
I'm afraid most of the SR players that I know are underachievers. Compared to the population of DnD players that I know, the SR players that I know tend to have more of a peak distribution clustering between the ages of 20 to 40, rather than the "teenagers and old farts" distribution that I see with DnD.
Mumbles
Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, class of '86.
banditf50
Graduating with a Bachelors in chemistry and a Bachelors in biology in May. Entering a PhD program in biophysics next fall . . . pending my getting accepted spin.gif
Sokei
about to finish my Bachelors in East asian history and i've got grad school lined up for masters in asian history with japanese and chinese languages under my belt.

translation - Massive massive debt that i will never be able to pay off on a professors salary, oh well ill have to take up a few runs to pay off the loans cyber.gif
bitrunner
over 60 hours of Soviet studies/Russian and Signals Intelligence Technology,
almost finished with Computer Science and minor in Mathematics...
Fortune
Bachelors in Music. No longer used ... will sell cheap.

Minor in History along the way.
Crimsondude 2.0
Still more useful than PoliSci.

What I will earn in May, though, is shiny and pretty, and definitely useful.
Paul
I have almost 2 years of college, and some specialized Corrections training, as well as four years of military experience, and 15 months of CNC training. (Machinist basically.) I also have some other technical training in the steel industry. And if I really want to keep stretching my noneducatd ass a little further, I also have a year or so's orth of experience selling cars.
Dizzo Dizzman
B.A. in History and English and currently working on a M.A. in Science and Technology Policy.

My opinion: Shadowrun, like many games, is damaging to your scholastic health. frown.gif
I think I would be much further along on my independent research project if I hadn't just bought DoTSW and MJLBB.
Sokei
QUOTE (Dizzo Dizzman)
B.A. in History and English and currently working on a M.A. in Science and Technology Policy.

My opinion: Shadowrun, like many games, is damaging to your scholastic health. frown.gif
I think I would be much further along on my independent research project if I hadn't just bought DoTSW and MJLBB.

I second the opinion that it damages your scholastic health , but who cares , heh. I really should be doing research for my thesis next semester but im sitting on DS rotfl.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (banditf50)
Graduating with a Bachelors in chemistry and a Bachelors in biology in May. Entering a PhD program in biophysics next fall . . . pending my getting accepted spin.gif

Lucky bastard. I had to stop after my BS in chemistry and get a job (working graveyard as an instrumentation chemist = fun with plasma torches smile.gif). One of these days I'll have to go back and get my doctorate; you don't get paid crap with a bachelor's anymore.
Crimson Jack
Spent 2 years majoring in marine biology, then switched over to an arts eductation. Found my niche. 4 years of graphic design & illustration study (BFA), minoring in literature. 2 years of night study in animation. Science and art mainly.
DocMortand
Fortune: what field?

I myself have a Bachelors in Performing Arts and Technology (I.E. Multimedia) and a Masters in Music (organ performance)

Got two years into a Doctorate, then gave up as I didn't have the drive to go THAT far.
Fortune
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Fortune: what field?

Percussion. biggrin.gif
DocMortand
Yeah...not many opportunities for percussionists outside of college. *wince*
Fortune
But I can hit things real good. wink.gif

Drummers do it with rhythm!
CirclMastr
Working on a bachelors in Economics.

Drummers do it with rhythm!

How about 'Economists do it for money'? But that doesn't really speak well of me. Hmm....
kevyn668
I thought it was "Poker Players Do It For Money."
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (CirclMastr)
Working on a bachelors in Economics.

I'm sorry.

But, better you than me. I washed out, and graduated one class short of getting at least my minor for the two years of Hell I spent trying to get that B.S. in Econ.
Fortune
QUOTE (kevyn668)
I thought it was "Poker Players Do It For Money."

'Poker players do it for the pot!'
AIM-54
These are always interesting.

As for me, BA in International Relations, '03 and I'll be receiving my MA in European and Eurasian Studies this May.

I'm not sure this makes me any more employable, however...

Needless to say, I enjoyed SoE immensely and am looking forward to Shadows of Asia, which I'm hoping will cover Russia and Central Asia.
Prospero
B.A. in English (literature) and minor in Irish studies (so me and the Tirs have a stormy relationship - doesn't help that I studied Old and Moden Irish language in Ireland). Right now, I'm 1 thesis away from my M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language, but I voted with the M.A. crowd anyway, since I'm half done with it. Loved SoE, but, since I lived and taught in Hungary, wanted Hungary in there (even though I have and can read the Hungarian langauge book).
JudgeIto78
Doctorate in law. cool.gif

Now I just gotta pass a damn bar exam eek.gif
Lafcadio
13 credits from a B.A. in Ancient Japanese History. Switched out to get my commercial helicopter pilots liscense. Nothing like riding around in a machine with 10,000 moving parts all going different directions at once at 2,000ft AGL. grinbig.gif Looking into dumping some water on some fires in the next couple of summers.
FrostyNSO
Man, lotta smarts in here. I just squeaked by in high school, then afterwards dedicated myself to killing people in foreign countries.

My favorite subject? Counter-Terrorism. Well actually my favorite subject is killing, but CT comes in a close second.
Weredigo
Finished Highschool Attendance wise, but didn't do my fraggin homework, so I got my GED, and about 1/3 of the way through Technical School. Motorcycle Mechanic's Institute, taking both Honda and Harley, just in a financial snag at the moment.
badmudderfugger
Finishing a MA in Political Science with a focus on West African politics (Nigeria in particular).

The source of my original interest in West Africa?

Cyberpirates biggrin.gif

I agree that SR has a lot more to offer the educated gamer. That being said, it sometimes does present an awfully big learning curve for new players to get over (fairly complex system and incredibly complex world/history).
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (AIM-54)
These are always interesting.

As for me, BA in International Relations, '03 and I'll be receiving my MA in European and Eurasian Studies this May.

At GW?
tisoz
Bachelors in Finance and Bachelors in Real Estate, certified RE Appraiser, some technical courses and licenses.

My anthropology professor was startled by my seeming familiarity with Pacific Northwest geography and indiginous tribes. (One of her areas of interest was native americans.)
Grinder
Working on a Bachelor in Geography. Had a education as therapist for metnal handicaped people.
Slash_Thompson
about 4/5'ths of the way (I'm on an odd schedule, don't ask) through a Computer Engineering major- then onto a Masters is some related field or another. probably Optronics.

and yes. I prefer to play deckers on the rare occasion I'm not the GM.

oh. and Bassoonist's Do it with Bedposts. nyahnyah.gif
Pistons
Some college, not nearly enough for a degree. I majored in Psychology.

I also spent several years in the military, where I learned Mandarin Chinese. It's possible I could have that translated into credits from the Community College of the Air Force, and apply that to any future collegiate pursuits.
Bigity
Some college classes, but mostly while I was enrolled at college, and attended a class about twice a week frown.gif

However, I have lots of technical training, such as Oracle certs, Microsoft certs, etc etc. And computer programming training from the Air Force.
Moon-Hawk
I have a Batchelor's in Electrical Engineering and a Master's in Biomedical Engineering, specializing in Bioelectronics. Neuron/electronic interface, brain prosthesis, medical equipment, that sort of thing.
And to answer the inevitable chicken/egg question, in my case, Shadowrun came first.
Jrayjoker
BA in Physics and Religion (I prayed a lot during the physics tests). MS inStructural Engineering.
LinaInverse
Bachelors in Computer Science. 14 years work experience.
Clyde
Bachelor's in Philosphy, Juris Doctor and working on an LLM in taxation.
Lindt
6 years into a Ba in Architecture. Considering getting my masters when I finally get done. Wanna pass the cert. exam first though...
UpSyndrome
I have a BS in psychology, and I'll have another in anthropology this summer. I'm hoping to enter a PhD program in archaeology either this fall or next.

-Joe
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (JudgeIto78)
Doctorate in law. cool.gif

Now I just gotta pass a damn bar exam eek.gif

Wheee, I'll be doing the whole bar exam next year too. Glad to see another person sharing in the painful process of learning that is the socratic method.
What state bar are you going to take?

Bachelor's in Chemical Engineering, minor in history, and right now in law school.
Garland
Bachelor in English, minor in Japanese. Read too much.
torzzzzz
biggrin.gif

I have Biology (BSc) and am just about to embark on a BSc Hons Veterinary Science

gives me the edge in Biotec and Chemistry ( for making cool ballistics) heheheh

torz xx grinbig.gif
Shadowrunner13
I have a Bachelors in Computer Science and Mathematics.

Now I'm a financial programmer...

Yes, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment. smile.gif

SR13
Veracusse
I am currently writting my thesis for an MA in Linguistics. I am hoping to get accepted into a nice school out on the East coast for my PhD in Linguistics. I speak and study Southeast Asian languages, particularly Thai, Hmong, and Mandarin, in that order of preference too.

Veracusse
Puck Wildhorse, M.D.
Bachelor's of science in bioengineering with a minor in creative writing, class of '94.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012