Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Night Ones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JaronK
I can't find anywhere that says that night ones have night vision, like normal elves. Am I just missing it, or do they actually not have it? It seems a little odd...

JaronK
Wireknight
Unless otherwise noted, metavariant races possess the same sensory capabilities as members of their root metarace. Night elves, dryads, oni, hobgoblins, and wakiyambi have low-light vision. Menehune, gnomes, fomori, giants, and cyclops have thermographic vision.
Fortune
From the Shadowrun FAQ ...

Question: Do Koborokuru receive the standard thermographic vision of dwarfs?
Answer: Yes.

Question: Do Night Ones and Dryads receive the standard low light vision of elves?
Answer: Yes.
JaronK
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I guess NSRCG needs to make that change!

JaronK
Weredigo
Night ones? Kinda like drow except not necessarily evil, correct???
Kanada Ten
Furry elves - with an allergy to sunlight, IIRC.
hahnsoo
So no. Nothing like Drow.
Endgame50
Sometimes they're orange...
Critias
Don't forget, the inhumanly colored freakishly furred monsters that are allergic to the wholesome sunlight shining down from above are also twice as quick and just as sexy as normal Elves. But no one plays them just for that. Oh, no. Not ever.
Aes
For 15 pts? Meh, too expensive and too freaky. I did muck about with a night one street mage once, but he sort of bit the very first bullet fired in the very first run. nyahnyah.gif
Critias
Meh. S'only five points more than a normal Elf. If you've got a character idea ("concept" carries positive connotations I don't want to imply here) that revolves around having a few absurdly high stats, a Night One isn't a bad deal (especially if you're in some perverse game that might allow variant races, but not edges/flaws, or something zany like that). Night Ones can be turned into some scary quick guys.

Or, y'know, if you just like the idea of playing Drizzt McNightcrawler so bad you can't help yourself, they're a viable option.
Aes
Much as it'd be fun to start with 14 pts worth of quickness (bonus attribute, exceptional attribute, 4 pts worth of muscle toner), I think I'll pass
Cynic project
You are forgeting geneware and suprathyroids....
Fortune
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Feb 24 2005, 07:47 AM)
You are forgeting geneware and suprathyroids....

A Suprathyriod Gland wouldn't help. Bioware can't raise it more than his natural Maximum, and he'd already be at that with the Toner.
Pthgar
Geneware can raise maximum, however.
Shockwave_IIc
Is there now a ruling that allows you to put in points up to your race max (what ever that might be) Cos Fortune that doesn't seem right, 9+4=13. Though i know NSRCG doesn allow you to do that.
Fortune
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Feb 24 2005, 09:23 AM)
Is there now a ruling that allows you to put in points up to your race max (what ever that might be) Cos Fortune that doesn't seem right, 9+4=13.  Though i know NSRCG doesn allow you to do that.

But 9+5 is correct. Maximum Attributes round up. smile.gif

Night One has a Racial Maximum of 9 Quickness (with Exceptional Attribute Edge), which makes their Attribute Maximum 14.

A character can put up to 6 points in any Attribute, plus racial modifiers, plus the point from the Bonus Attribute Point Edge, which would make 9 for the Night One in Aes example above.
Shockwave_IIc
Sorry i was on about actual stat not Attribute Max. 8+Bonus+4 lvls of Toner =13 he can get to 14 but not with just 4 lvls of toner.

But if you can get Race Max+Bonus+ 4 lvls of toner then that works hence my question. Or am i being dumber then i realise??
Fortune
No, I think I see the problem. Aes added both Exceptional Attribute and Bonus Attribute Point Edges as actual points towards Quickness, where only the second Edge actually gives you the point (the first merely raises your maximum). So you would be right, and the Suprathyroid Gland could be used to make up the difference.
Shockwave_IIc
Ah all good. Just the other night i spent 20 mintues on the phone explaining to a friend that the NSRCG was wrong in that allowing him to have CHA 10 for a basic elf. Along with Melinin Control cost a full point....

tisoz
An elf can start with a Charisma of 9. 6 points into the attribute, +2 racial modifier, +1 bonus attribute point.
FlakJacket
I don't know, I've just never been able to take Night One's seriously myself. Especially now with SURGE - I just keep getting images of them with red fur and high pitched Elmo voices. wink.gif
Sandoval Smith
That might be an amusing one point flaw: "Too cute to be taken seriously."

All sorts of amusing encounters could arise from that. Especially if your group also has the sterotypical dumber than rocks troll.

TR:"Fuzzy! Boggers wanna hug!"
NO: No! Goddamnit! Stop-! Put me down! I'll shoot you in the head, I swear!"
Weredigo
too cute to be taken seriously

Wouldn't that fall under "Child Like Physique" ???
Ombre
I really hate those Metavariants, particularly Night Ones...seems to me they were introduced in the game to please all those dark elves fans...talk about commercial stuff!
Dark blue with a short fur: that's X Men's Nightcrawler for you biggrin.gif
Aes
Personally, I think they should add ridiculously huge ears and just pretend they're clones of Blizzards WoW elves nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Weredigo)

What rule set is that from? White Wolf?

In answer to your question though, not necessarily. 'Cute' and 'Child-Like' are not automatically synonymous.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Weredigo)

The only time I can remember seeing 'Child-like Physique' as a 'flaw' was in the Big Eyes Small Mouth system. I'm fairly certain it doesn't exist in SR. Please tell me you haven't folded BESM into your games too? dead.gif (If it's from Whitewolf, then oops, it's been a very long time since I've played in that one).

Personally, I think they should add ridiculously huge ears and just pretend they're clones of Blizzards WoW elves

Which would also burden them with the flaw: Turn too fast and you'll put someone's eye out.
Jrayjoker
...and the "every time I jump I have to do a flip" flaw
Bigity
It's not _every_ time nyahnyah.gif

The flaw with WoW NEs is the largish hands. Nasty looking.
Pthgar
I've had players use night elves before. It didn't suck too bad. Mostly he was a normal runner. Once in a while (about once a run) his enhanced abilities were noticed. It was about the same frequency as the ghoul character's enhanced abilities (running and stuff). It didn't unbalance the game or anything. I now have peace with meta-variants. sleepy.gif
Garland
I had a player with a night one character once. He worried a lot about being very easy to identify. Let's face it, everyone is gonna remember the hairy purple elf with the Ares Alpha.

He eventually started getting full-body waxes.
Dax
QUOTE (Garland)
I had a player with a night one character once. He worried a lot about being very easy to identify. Let's face it, everyone is gonna remember the hairy purple elf with the Ares Alpha.

And that....is Pepsi all over my monitor...

rotfl.gif
Garland
QUOTE (Dax)
QUOTE (Garland @ Feb 24 2005, 01:08 PM)
I had a player with a night one character once.  He worried a lot about being very easy to identify.  Let's face it, everyone is gonna remember the hairy purple elf with the Ares Alpha.

rotfl.gif

Buddy, I wish I were joking.
Dax
I know you're not. That's why I'm laughing. The image of the Night One getting a full body wax makes me laugh.
Trax
I would've gone with an easier method: DYE THE FUR.
Dawnshadow
Laser-Fur removal!
Garland
He still would've been one of probably 5 night ones in Seattle.
Toshiaki
QUOTE (Dax)
QUOTE (Garland @ Feb 24 2005, 01:08 PM)
I had a player with a night one character once.  He worried a lot about being very easy to identify.  Let's face it, everyone is gonna remember the hairy purple elf with the Ares Alpha.

rotfl.gif

Now everybody in the computer lab is looking at me funny. rotfl.gif

I think that the lecturer wants an explanation as to why I just busted out laughing during her presentation.
Garland
I mentioned this thread to the player of this tres chic night one character. He reminded me of this detail:

After the first couple of waxes, the salon provided Seamus with a take-home waxing kit for "where the shadows don't go."
Endgame50
QUOTE (Garland)

I hope he had alot of pain tolerance, be it from adept powers, cyberware, or edges.... that would hurt like hell....
Garland
He had "wound penalties" for a day.
hahnsoo
And a full-body five O'clock shadow....
Aes
QUOTE (Garland)

That reminds me, just what color IS a night ones skin below the fur?

We used to have a cat with *really* sparse fur during the summer, and you could actually see the furts patterns reflected on her skin. (IE: Darker patches of fur had darker patches of skin underneath).

Would a - for the sake of an example- dark blue night one have dark blue skin underneath? Light blue skin? Normal flesh tones? I imagine that the fur would have to be pretty dense to look dark atop "normal" flesh tones that were never exposed to sunlight.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Aes)
We used to have a cat with *really* sparse fur during the summer, and you could actually see the furts patterns reflected on her skin. (IE: Darker patches of fur had darker patches of skin underneath).

Would a - for the sake of an example- dark blue night one have dark blue skin underneath? Light blue skin? Normal flesh tones? I imagine that the fur would have to be pretty dense to look dark atop "normal" flesh tones that were never exposed to sunlight.

Yeah, our dog was a half-Beagle (I miss him, the little bugger) and he had different patches of skin coloration under his fur. Then again, polar bears have translucent hair without pigment, but they look white due to the scattering of light (and have a darker skin underneath). I'm guessing the skin will bear some resemblance to the elf's heritage, but there's really no way to say for sure... after all, with all that fur, they could very well be pale underneath.
Garland
We discussed this, and for some reason I kind of figured the skin was a kinda greyish version of the hair color.

The hits just keep on coming as the player in question reads this. He just reminded me of the celebration he threw for himself after the first waxing: he had been hiding for a while so he figured he'd go clubbing now that he was a new man. Bought himself a new pair of really tight synthleather pants and headed for Dante's Inferno.

And a correction. While he got the rest of his body denuded of hair, he left the hair on his head there. "For the ladies," he said.
DrJest
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
And a full-body five O'clock shadow....

<scratchscratchscratchscratchscratchscratch>

That's soooo gotta itch...

Raises an interesting point, though - would metavariants suffer the equivalent of the Distinctive Style flaw? Or would you allow them to take such a flaw on the basis of their metatype?
Fortune
QUOTE (DrJest @ Feb 25 2005, 06:59 AM)
Raises an interesting point, though - would metavariants suffer the equivalent of the Distinctive Style flaw? Or would you allow them to take such a flaw on the basis of their metatype?

I'd rule that it could be a factor, but only outside of their normal geographical environment. A Night One wouldn't raise too many eyebrows in Scandanavia, Satyrs would be a relatively common sight in Greece, a Fomori wouldn't be rare in Tir Na nOg, and one of those tall-ass elves wouldn't be all that strange in southern Africa.

I wouldn't actually give them the Flaw, and it wouldn't give them any points for their rareness.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Garland)
I had a player with a night one character once.  He worried a lot about being very easy to identify.

I wish my player realized that problem. He also bought oversized ears and a tail.

And he's Hunted.

And has a Day Job.

And I warned his this was a bad combo of Flaws before play started.

QUOTE (Garland)

One of the other PCs has asked what the price for a barrel of Nair would be.
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012