Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Countering the Magical Threat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Pthgar
Now that is a great idea. Carry around and empty deck case and some kind of datajack decal for the temple. Nobody worries about a decker in a firefight, although they might wonder what they are doing there.
Toshiaki
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 24 2005, 12:45 PM)
One time, we had our Decker/Face wear all sorts of silly tribal fetishes and magical accoutrements. He bluffed a group of gangers that he was some sort of powerful initiated mage and they tried to geek him first. smile.gif

You know, I'm about to do the exact opposite. Been shot at a few too many times and finally got a spare casing from the group's decker. Now I have a little bit of reinforced plastic to compliment the pistol I wave ineffectively.

EDIT: Too late
hahnsoo
The same character once wore an alluring outfit along with a short-cut lab coat to dupe her way as a lab tech during a run. When the firefight broke out, the guards were quite surprised when the trollop who was pretending to hide behind a desk to "protect herself from the evil shadowrunners" stood up and chucked a stun ball at them. After which, she was surprised when the automatic sentry gun system nearly killed her... sometimes it's not good to blow your cover too soon. smile.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Charon)
What possible advantage can there be to carrying an empty gun over carrying a loaded gun?

I just talked to her about this, and she said "I just KNOW you guys are going to find some way to use it against me someday," in terms of having it unloaded or loaded with blanks. I didn't know we instilled that much paranoia in the group, but there ya go.
Charon
Well, that's not rational but it's funny. And I'd take a fun but irrational PC over a professional but boring PC any day.
Endgame50
Kinda faulty logic, but whatever makes her happy I guess.

If someone has to waste an action using a disarm action to wrestle away a pistol which I assume lacks all the fun bells and whistles from a mage, they've come to the fight woefully unprepared to begin with. Pistols can be deadly, but they're small enough (generally) that anyone who really wants to have one can bring their own.
hahnsoo
I'm thinking she means it in some way that I cannot even begin to fathom, and not in the sense of disarming in combat or practical measures. In other words, yeah, she's irrational. And we like to tease her about it, too. biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
It is not an optional rule, until you invoke that all rules are optional. It is a way to randomly determine if a spirit goes free. The other way is for the GM to decide, supposedly based on how high the spirit's force is, what type of spirit it is, and how long it has been around.

Actually, we've had this argument before. It's optional becasue they gave two methods and said use one.

Firearms are primarily slug throwers. The principles have not changed much over the years. Many weapons offer two versions, for standard loads or caseless ammunition, though the latter is far more common in 2050. In either case, a digital ammunition counter is standard. The readout usually appears on the rear sight, where the user can see where he is firing.

Nice look up. Please, never use blue again.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Nice look up.

I liked it, especially since I couldn't do it myself as I no longer have the books to back up my memory. biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
I vaguely recall, when we went to second edition, an argument over that blurb when one of the players actually read it (about it nerfin' smartlink, IIRC). Still, it's a single line that applies to weapons made at some point in the future - and there's nothing to say it can't be tampered with.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Charon @ Feb 24 2005, 02:10 PM)
What can an empty gun do that a loaded one can't, I wonder?
Other than demonstrate a 100% immunity to accidental firing? Not much.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 24 2005,07:14 PM)
Nice look up. Please, never use blue again.
It's been edited back to the default color, since you didn't like it.

QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 24 2005,09:17 PM)
I liked it, especially since I couldn't do it myself as I no longer have the books to back up my memory.
There are a few advantages to having a Shadowrun collection that takes up approximately a meter of linear shelf space. Being able to see evolutionary changes in the setting and the rules as the editions progressed is one, but that's not my favorite. Being able to smack a munchkin player upside the head with a stack three editions of core rulebook hardbacks in order to bring them back in line is my favorite.
tisoz
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Being able to smack a munchkin player upside the head with a stack three editions of core rulebook hardbacks in order to bring them back in line is my favorite.

Yeah, the 3rd edition hardback is too costly to use for smacking. And you can't really leave it out in easy reach for fear someone will grab it, open it and have all the pages fall out.
Endgame50
My SR3 book is being held together by tape, elmer's school glue, and prayer...

isn't just the hardbacks that need to be coddled. Awful bindings on these books.
hahnsoo
I have the SR3 PDF right now. Does that mean I get to beat on my players with my laptop? smile.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I have the SR3 PDF right now. Does that mean I get to beat on my players with my laptop? smile.gif

Only if you took the "Amorred Case" deck-construction option.
Mortax
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
QUOTE (Mortax @ Feb 23 2005, 10:38 AM)
I understand why it was set up like it was in the beguining, but it doesn't make sense for a street shaman who has been poor all his life to have 400 k lying around.  However, they could have a decent number of spells.

This annoys me to no end. Just because you took 400,000 in resources does not mean that the character ever had 400,000 at any point in time. Hell, they might've lived feral in the woods their entire life and have never had a single nuyen, ever. What they do have is an incredible talent for magic, that in the mechanics of character creation = 400,000 nuyen worth of magic points.

Yes, but they still have 400,000 nuyen.gif in char creation then. So the guy who's lived in the woods has 35 spell points. Fine, I can buy that from a shaman. He's got 400 k worth of gear, in addition? That is a bit harder to swollow.
Mortax
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 25 2005, 07:19 PM)

Only if you took the "Amorred Case" deck-construction option.

LOL don't ya wish you really could sometimes?
Fortune
QUOTE (Mortax @ Mar 2 2005, 03:47 AM)
Yes, but they still have 400,000 nuyen.gif  in char creation then.

Play by SR3 rules, where Spell Points have no relation to Resourses (except that a character can puchase more (up to a total of 50) for 25k each). Full Mages and Shamanic characters all get 25 Points, while Sorcerers get 35.
tisoz
Ah, yes, 2nd ed..

This is how I explained it. If the magician is better trained or has more experience (shown by having more starting spell points), they were better paid for their magical talent or could accumulate more gear and stuff.
Mortax
Yeah, that's what we've been saying. It just never seemed quite right for me. We mainly play 2nd cause most of our books are. It's been easier thus far to just mod things. I may just say, if your full mage you get this many, if your an adept, you get this many.

smile.gif Thanks for the advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012