Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybermancy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
moosegod
Now, this is what I was thinking. Since there is a huge astral quest and a possible de-Patterning involved with cybermancy, and they get karma hazing, is it not possible that they actually summon a horror into the cyber.gif? You know, overlapping auras like you can do with channeling?
Tanka
Probably not. Otherwise Slay (Horror) would kill a Cyberzombie right out.
Garland
That kinda made me wonder. Does Slay (Spirit) work on flesh-form bugs?
Ancient History
Stick with the good ol' Slay Flesh Form spell. Zessler swears by it.
Garland
So is that a yes or a no?
Ancient History
No. God gave you the Spiritblast spell for a reason, Ghost darn it.
DrJest
QUOTE (tanka)
Probably not. Otherwise Slay (Horror) would kill a Cyberzombie right out.

But has anyone tried it? I doubt Slay (Horror) is in too many hermetic libraries out there. Hmm....
Tanka
Once they start appearing (and actually being recognized as Horrors), it probably will be in many libraries.

Though around then FanPro may tell us we can't have such a spell. nyahnyah.gif
The Jopp
Shedim Cyberzombie

With a high force ward around it.

moosegod
Well, didn't the Blood Elves mere a force 1 wood spirit with their auras? And you couldn't use Slay: Wood Spirit to kill them. They're a new being entirely, their auras totally altered.
Tanka
QUOTE (moosegod)
Well, didn't the Blood Elves mere a force 1 wood spirit with their auras? And you couldn't use Slay: Wood Spirit to kill them. They're a new being entirely, their auras totally altered.

There was no Slay spell in ED. nyahnyah.gif

Granted, you could make one, but that's different.

Plus, the Blood Elves merged with the Wood Elemental. A CZ would just be possessed by a Horror (as nobody in their right minds would ever merge a person and a Horror).
moosegod
Well, who has cybermancy? The Ordo Maximus and a bunch of pain in the ass elves. Sounds like people not in their right minds to start off with.
Tanka
Erm.

Ordo Maximus, a few megacorps, and maybe one of the Tirs. The Tir rumor is just that -- a rumor.

Not to mention the Tir Tairngire Princes (almost) all remember the Scourge. I don't think they'd want to allow anybody to be merging Horrors with anything except the end of a few powerful weapons.
Ancient History
Heh. No ulk-man references? I'm shocked!

Seriously, there's no Slay Horror spell. Too many different varieties. Hell, a Slay Elf spell won't even cause a rash on an ork, and you think one spell will effect a Wormskull the same as a Dread Iota? You're right! It's called a powerball.
DrJest
I could see Slay (Horror) spells coming into use on two levels (this is once the Second Scourge starts).

You'd get spells for the common Horror types - you know, the relatively low powered ones (I did say relatively smile.gif ), since that's worth the effort. These would come in the usual spread of Force ratings.

Then you'd get "one-shots", high Force Slay (Specific Horror) spells for going after specific, individual targets.

Even so, remember: if someone asks you to field-test his Force 20 Slay Verjigorm spell - Just Say No!
Weredigo
This might be a bit off topic, but here goes.

My view on Cybermancy, I see no need for it whatsoever. A rigger can do the same thing, without any extra implants.

With all they Cyberware available I'm willing to bet they can build an entire humanoid, Use a little bit of vat grown meat, skin, and cartilage and you can even get the thing to look like a rigger. And of course pack it with as many gadgets, tools, and weapons as you can and bingo. Six Million Nuyen Samurai, approximately same ammount of nuyen spent and the rigger still at the same essence level. Just make sure it has a Rigger Drone Control unit and a really secure transmission line.

If however you still want cybermancy, not gonna stop ya. have fun.
DarusGrey
The really interesting part of cybermancy isn't the cyborg power aspect(least to me), its the magical and morale implications.

Going against a cyborg or just out-right drone isn't nearly as "creepy" as a once whole warrior whos been almost completly dehumanized via obscure ritual magic
Weredigo
I can Imagine a GM wanting to do that to a Player's Character. I cannot immagine a Player wanting to do that to thier Character.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DarusGrey @ Feb 25 2005, 09:40 AM)
The really interesting part of cybermancy isn't the cyborg power aspect(least to me), its the magical and morale implications.

Yeah, the morale of the PCs in our group drastically drops when the cyberzombies start to show up... biggrin.gif

My last character actually got trashed enough (The GM asks "What's your willpower?" after you take an S and an M wound from two heavy pistol rounds, and you know you are toast... I got as close to HOGing, without actually doing it) and had enough cyber that I considered cybermancy for him as a way to develop the character. Sure, you're living on borrowed time and your character is GOING to die very very soon. But this was a character who has already taken a bullet to the head in the past (with an Amnesia 2 flaw to go along with it) and has had his personality overwritten by a backup personality engram (a la Incomplete Deprogramming, although this was before I knew about that flaw)... he was batshit crazy, and I wanted to make him even batshit crazier. The GM sadly vetoed my request, and I ended up retiring the character when it turned out he was going to spend the next 6 game months in the hospital. I think it would be fun to roleplay a cyberzombie, especially one that wasn't a combat monster; my character was actually the group's Face (which is a bit of a misnomer, since we had an average Charisma of 5 in the whole group... everyone was good at social skill tests), and I figured THAT wasn't going to last if he became a cyberzombie. Ah, dynamic characters who burn in a blaze of glory... so much fun to see them burn brightly.
Weredigo
Ah, so these are uber monstrosity creations to torment characters with?
hahnsoo
Since you mentioned before that you only own 1st edition books, the required reading for Cybermancy would be Man and Machine (SR3) and Cybertechnology (SR2). Of the two, Cybertechnology is a bit more useful in terms of background information. There is a cyberzombie that is prominently featured in the Dragonheart trilogy.

Sadly, the only cyberzombies that PCs are likely to encounter are the scary combat monsters. I was hoping to change that perception a bit with my own character, but the idea got vetoed. Ah well...
Weredigo
I've got Man and Machine, and Cybertechnology. Although I was aware MandM was 3rd edition, wasn't aware the Cybertech was 2nd edition only. unfortunately At the parents for the weekend and using Mom's computer, so can't get to the Library to check.
Tanka
QUOTE (Weredigo)
I can Imagine a GM wanting to do that to a Player's Character. I cannot immagine a Player wanting to do that to thier Character.

Why not? It makes for interesting roleplaying -- playing somebody so separated from today's society that they can't even interact without harsh social penalties.
DarusGrey
Maybe its just me..but everytime I think of cyberzombie personality, I reflect back to those old semi-cheesy robo-cop movies of the 80s(?).

Thats how I always pictured being a cyberzombie was like, like when hes spying on his former wife and kids...just sitting there watching them, but he has no idea why hes watching them other then some image in his head that he doesnt remember.

They don't want anything to do with him because they consider the real him dead.

I dunno...thats just only film example I can think of for the cyberzombie concept.
moosegod
I remembered the other component. Lost in the details. I'm telling you, horrors have to be involved somewhere. Maybe that was part of Darke's plan as well...

vegm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012