Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aura reading/assensing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sokei
Ok here is the situation in my current game, i have a player who will assense nearly anyone they have to work with. Runners/johnsons/ the strange bum outside the bar etc etc. Now is it possible to detect astral assensing or is there a limit to its usefulness? At the moment she does it to the point where she has an extensive knowledge of most of the people they have had contact with in the past or currently interact with.

Has anyone had this happen? I don't consider it to be a game breaking annoyance, im just curious.
Tanka
Near as I can tell, no way to notice it save for a Watcher Spirit poking them and saying "HEY YOU'RE BEING ASSENSED BY [that guy]!"

And even then, it probably wouldn't work.

You're a Shadowrunner. You're supposed to be paranoid and try to find out everything about everybody you do business with.
James McMurray
I wish my group would assense more. Its an invaluable information gathering tool.

While doing it to everyone up to and including the bums oin the street might be a bit much, it might also be the smart thing to do.For instance, if you have reason to suspect you might be under surveillance, finding out that the bum next to you has cyber ears, a head transceiver, smartgun link, wired reflexes, and a GPS rig might just save your ass.
toturi
Assensing and Aura Reading does not give you the whole story about that person, but I would agree that it is a good tactic and it is working the way it should.
Tanka
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I wish my group would assense more. Its an invaluable information gathering tool.

While doing it to everyone up to and including the bums oin the street might be a bit much, it might also be the smart thing to do.For instance, if you have reason to suspect you might be under surveillance, finding out that the bum next to you has cyber ears, a head transceiver, smartgun link, wired reflexes, and a GPS rig might just save your ass.

Well, you won't find that out about him, but you will find out that his Essence is rather low for just being a bum on the street. And how he is reacting to you (read: his emotions).

Those can be very useful tools to have.
James McMurray
You won't know exactly what he has, but some things should be readily discernable just by their location (such as wired reflexes and perhaps a smartgun).
fistandantilus4.0
Of course, magic can defend against it. Masking ,watchers, etc. But it's very hard to spot if they have masking on (the assenser that is), because astral perception is covered by masking.
I use assensing when ever possible. As before, a lot of the time, you need every edge you can get to keep from walking into a bad situation. Want to make it more difficult for the team mage to guess if the Johnson's going to screw them over? Try having the meet in an area with a lot of background count, like areas in the barrens, or a very astrally active club (high emotions, the mage bars, etc). But it's hard to disguise a cybered sam around a mage with good assensing abilities.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (James McMurray)
You won't know exactly what he has, but some things should be readily discernable just by their location (such as wired reflexes and perhaps a smartgun).

In my game, they have to make a bio tech test to identify it
Tanka
QUOTE (James McMurray)

I've always seen Assensing somebody with a lower Essence as having their aura be darker and not quite as clear. That wouldn't tell me where any 'ware is at all.
Sokei
I wasnt saying this is a bad tactic, in fact she has received a bonus karma point or two for assensing someone and using that information to formulate plans/ or figure out what was going on one step ahead of the group. I was just wondering what the average DS'er thought of it.
James McMurray
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Feb 24 2005, 08:40 PM)

I've always seen Assensing somebody with a lower Essence as having their aura be darker and not quite as clear. That wouldn't tell me where any 'ware is at all.

The rules let you see where their cyberware is. It takes 3 or 4 successes to find the general location, and 5 successes to find the exact location.
Sokei
yeah you can see the exact location of the "dark spot" in the aura but not know the nature of it.
DrJest
Yeah, a lot of the time you're guessing, but if he's got a dark spot on his hand, long dark lines in his arm and dark blobs where his eyes should be you can make a guess at probably a smartlink, cyberspurs and cybereyes. Of course, you could be wrong, but hey, nobody said this was an exact science wink.gif
akarenti
I think someone who did the Shadowrunning thing for a living could probably recognize common cyberware's effect on the subject's aura enough to identify it. I mean, that would be kind of important in their line of work.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Sokei)
Now is it possible to detect astral assensing or is there a limit to its usefulness?

IIRC in MiTS, there is a Intelligence (10) Test to notice someone projecting near you or something like that. Can anyone with a MiTS verify this?

As far as how much information Assensing grants, it's not mind reading, but more of an emotional read. I liken it to the empathetic ability of Deanna Troy from Star Trek:Next Generation. I do know it's different, but similar on some levels.

It's not a Mind Probe, even with max successes you don't get hugely specific information. You don't get to ask "questions" but simply get to "read the surface" of the subject.

Not a game breaker IMO.
BitBasher
QUOTE (DrJest)
Yeah, a lot of the time you're guessing, but if he's got a dark spot on his hand, long dark lines in his arm and dark blobs where his eyes should be you can make a guess at probably a smartlink, cyberspurs and cybereyes. Of course, you could be wrong, but hey, nobody said this was an exact science wink.gif

Yeah, but even that degree of information takes 5 sucesses, which needs 10 dice to hit semi-reliably not even accounting for modifiers.
DragginSPADE

GrindertheTroll, the Intelligence (10) test is made when an astrally projecting form passes through your aura. You can make to test to feel a chill or similar sensation. Main book, page 173.

BTW, I'm new to posting on these boards. How the heck do you get those quote containers to appear in messages?

DragginSPADE
QUOTE (DragginSPADE)
BTW, I'm new to posting on these boards.  How the heck do you get those quote containers to appear in messages?

[QUOTE]

Disregard, I've figured it out.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (DragginSPADE @ Feb 25 2005, 11:00 AM)
GrindertheTroll, the Intelligence (10) test is made when an astrally projecting form passes through your aura.  You can make to test to feel a chill or similar sensation.  Main book, page 173.

Thanks for the refernce. So would anyone give the target of the Assensing a roll then? I think it would help curb "abusive" Astral Travelers.

BTW, I'm new to posting on these boards.  How the heck do you get those quote containers to appear in messages?

Hit the "quote" button to grab the whole post or you can use BBCode to split up certain parts.

Explore, have fun and welcome to Dumpshock!
Fortune
You can either use the 'Quote' button situated on the upper right hand side of the post you want to quote, or you can do it manually by typing ...
CODE
[quote]stuff you want to quote[/quote]

which becomes ...

stuff you want to quote

or alternately ...

CODE
[quote=DragginSPADE]more stuff[/quote]

which makes ...

QUOTE (DragginSPADE)
more stuff
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Thanks for the refernce. So would anyone give the target of the Assensing a roll then? I think it would help curb "abusive" Astral Travelers.

Only if you allow any PC or NPC a test to tell whether someone is watching them in the physical world. A non-astral species should actually have an easier time recognizing the passive observation of their physical forms than recognizing the passive observation of themeselves from a realm that is completely foreign to them.

So, if a mundane gets a TN of 10 to notice an estral entity occupying the same space they do, make it 14 to see if they are being assensed, and 10 to see if something mundane is watching them. (both TNs 10 for astrally percieving or dual natured characters)
DrJest
Yeah, but even that degree of information takes 5 sucesses, which needs 10 dice to hit semi-reliably not even accounting for modifiers.

I haven't got a book on me atm - is assensing an extended action? Or can it be?
mfb
i've always played it as such myself. the only thing about assensing that annoys me is that it doesn't help when you're piercing masking. brute force only; no room for finesse.
DragginSPADE
QUOTE (DrJest)
I haven't got a book on me atm - is assensing an extended action? Or can it be?

Assensing a single aura is a simple action. If you don't get all the info you want, you can continue to do more simple actions to make more rolls, with +2 to the target number each time for the same aura. To do this of course you have to already be astrally perceiving, which takes a simple action itself to shift perceptions.
Charon
Assenssing one person is a simple action, tuning on your astral perception is a simple action, so on average you could say a normal mage takes one turn to assense one person. Someone staring intently at me in the metro for about 3 seconds can easily draw my attention. Most people purposefully avoid staring at anyone but their friends when in a public place. People who do stare often do it in order to establish eye contact and engage in a conversation. And those who just stare for no obvious reason... they tend to give you the creep. In some place, staring can be downright dangerous. "Yo, why you staring at my girl, you pervert?"

Many novels and fiction about SR mention that mage look at you weirdly when assenssing, as if they are looking through you.

In game term, some target should get an opportunity to notice that the mage is staring at him with some concentration, depending on the situation. In itself, it doesn't scream "Mage assessing aura!" but it is at least as noticeable as someone staring at you for any other reasons. And the mage would get the standard +2 to TN for any mundane action to disguise their attention with a stealth roll.

But aside from that and the risk involved in being present astrally (reduced if you know masking), it is only common sense to assense as much as you can get away with.

EDIT : Screw with your player a little if he assense too much. I once described a NPC who was known to have reasons to be angry at the mage walking toward him and looking positively furious. 'what do you do'? 'I assense him'. Well, he got a very good look at the emotional state of the NPC as he drew his gun to shoot at him. I had a good laugh about that.
Charon
QUOTE (mfb)
the only thing about assensing that annoys me is that it doesn't help when you're piercing masking. brute force only; no room for finesse.

What do you mean?

I read nothing that indicated that piercing the mask tipped away the person who was masked.
mfb
i'm saying that a high skill in aura reading ought to help you pierce masking. i mean, aura reading is the skill of studying auras; masking is a technique that makes it harder to study your aura. you'd think they'd interact.
Charon
Ah. Good point. You could add aura reading as a complementary skill for the initiate trying to pierce the mask, I guess.
BitBasher
Actually it may just be me, but I don't see aura reading and masking related at all. All masking can change is the apparent status of magical activity of the person using it. It doesn't help him if someone assenses him to see if he is lying, or has cyber, or a disease, or anything else. All it does is stop the viewer from knowing he is magically active.
Eyeless Blond
Tht's a good point. You know, now that I think about it it might be a cool idea to have some sort of Aura Disguing metamagic, based on Masking, which does allow you to do that sort of thing.
fistandantilus4.0
SO here's a question, DOES someone notice if there mask is pierced by an atral observer?
Tanka
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
SO here's a question, DOES someone notice if there mask is pierced by an atral observer?

Nope. No alarms go off, no whistles flare, no bells sound off. It happens, you don't know it.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

The books are annoyingly vague about this:
An initiate must deliberately try to assense a masked aura if studying a crowd. If only two initiates are present, the gamemaster can make a secret roll to see if they “notice” each other.

I'd personally say that unless the masking initiate knows that he is being perceived, he wouldn't know whether or not his masking has been penetrated... perhaps a perception test against the mage that is trying to penetrate his masking would allow someone to read that mage's body language or aura and determine if his masking has possibly been penetrated.
fistandantilus4.0
That's what I'd always thought, but I never really thought about it.
I guess my take, if the init. is DELIBERATELY masking, they could notice the break, since it's a lot more effort and personal attention being paid to it, but other wise not.

Perception test to notice someone staring rather intently?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb)
i'm saying that a high skill in aura reading ought to help you pierce masking. i mean, aura reading is the skill of studying auras; masking is a technique that makes it harder to study your aura. you'd think they'd interact.

But that would just make good sense... What are you? Insane?
Endgame50
I find excessive dice rolling to be irritating--and assensing everyone adds a lot of them. I'd suggest just taking half the PC's intelligence as successes (round down) for people where it doesn't matter. Actually roll for important ones. If you dont' want to tip you hand, you could do the rolls yourself and just do fake rolls for unimportant ones. The speed in reading the results might be a giveaway though.

Anyway... I know somewhere I read astral perception looks weird. You're a little unfocused, and sometimes you react to things that "aren't there". Further, you have to kind of stare at the person as you're trying to unravel things in their aura. It's kind of noticable--I'd definately give someone a perception check to notice.

Also, keep in mind a lot of mundanes aren't really comfortable around magic types--they don't have the gift, they don't understand it, and they can't defend against it. In other words, they're afraid of it. Also remember people in the shadows value their privacy. Sure, you're supposed to do your legwork when it comes to dealing with people, but not in front of their faces. I imagine if a PC was openly aura reading someone, it might very possibly be considered rude--it's like going through someone's wallet right in front of them. It might not have anything they want to hide, but all the same, they won't appreciate you doing it without permission.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Endgame50)
Anyway... I know somewhere I read astral perception looks weird. You're a little unfocused, and sometimes you react to things that "aren't there". Further, you have to kind of stare at the person as you're trying to unravel things in their aura. It's kind of noticable--I'd definately give someone a perception check to notice.

I've always like the descriptions of an outside observer watching an astrally perceiving character in the SR novel "Knight's Pawn". Priest sees 4 or 5 different mages during the course of the novel, and more than once while they were astrally perceiving or projecting.
Sokei
yeah i would have to agree with the mages stare being an issue, but the only time this PC has done it she has been with a group and she stands behind the negotiator. Aside from being an elf she blends in decently so i havent had the NPC's flip out because this whack job elf is staring at them.... yet. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012