Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy Shit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
James McMurray
Page not found
Arethusa
Still working for me. It's on your end.
GlassJaw
Try doing a Save As instead of just clicking on the link. It didn't work for me at first either.

Damn, that guy must be an adept or something.
Necro Tech
Thats an impressive 7 actions in one combat turn.
Capt. Dave
That is insane...wow.

Where'd he get MBW this early?
Charon
A quick web search told me this guy is Jerry Miculek, using probably a S&W .38 revolver.

There seems to be virtually no recoil on that thing. I was kind of surprised. My only experience with firearms is shooting a C7 (Modified M16) which hardly compares but I still would have thought a revolver would pack more recoil. Guess I was wrong.
DrJest
Holy crapola. I didn't even think a revolver could cycle that fast eek.gif
Sandoval Smith
All things considered, those were probably pretty light rounds he was using (distance to the target, and the fact he was shooting paper targets and not trying to split engine blocks). I've used a Ruger target pistol firing .22s, and while the recoil wasn't completly neglible, if you've got a good shooting stance and some mass to you it's not that hard to overcome. If I tried that I'd be more worried about yanking the gun around trying to pull the trigger that fast.

*edit*
If he's shooting a .38 caliber revolver, that's obviously going to have more recoil than a .22. If you watch the video at full screen, you can see the barrel rise, although he gets it back down for each shot. I believe that .38 is a light enough round that if that revolver had much mass to it, it would be a big help in keeping recoil down.
Tziluthi
Sweet mother of God! That's incredible. Did you see how fast he reloaded?
Austere Emancipator
I could download a .zip file, but it was only 5kb in size and damaged. Now I cannot access it at all.

I assume this is one of the more or less recognized world record shoots where he fires a .45 ACP or .38 Special revolver 12 times at a target in just under 3 seconds. I remember discussing this before on this forum, but the video is great for the few whose minds have been corrupted by the 2-shots-per-CT weapons of SR and keep thinking it's just a set-up or an outright lie.
mfb
yeah? well, i can do that in time crisis 2. how 'bout that.
Cray74
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Thats an impressive 7 actions in one combat turn.

And y'know what really bothers me? He cheated. Had he been using 3rd edition rules, he should've waited to let everyone else have their first initiative pass actions before firing his last 10 rounds (and reloading).

Chibu
well, that's pretty impressive
DrJest
Austere,

8 rounds in one target in under 1 second. 8 rounds in 4 targets in 1.06 seconds. 6 rounds, reload, 6 more rounds (revolver this time) in 2.99 seconds.
Austere Emancipator
Cray74: He doesn't cheat, he's just using house rules which allow a character to fire more than 2 rounds with a SA-mode weapon in one action. And while I haven't actually seen the movie, I take it there's nobody else doing much of anything in it, so you wouldn't know if everybody else is having their first init pass actions before his last shots.

DrJest: All those records are shown in the same video clip? Damn, now I'd really like to have it. frown.gif

[Edit]Now I got the clip. The 8 rounds in 1 second was done with a S&W Model 627 in .357 Magnum, as was the 8 rounds on 4 targets in 1.06 seconds. The 2 x 6 rounds in 2.99 seconds was shot with a S&W Model 625 in .45 ACP. There's an article on the S&W website on it.[/Edit]
DrJest
I got a crap connection (dialup) but if you send me an email addy I'll try mailing it to you
Jrayjoker
Wow, that guy is dedicated. He may not be hitting the bullseye every time, but he puts enough lead in the air that it doesn't matter.
Austere Emancipator
I think what you see here, though not very clearly, are the 12 shots he fired with the S&W Model 625 in 2.99 seconds, at a distance of 15 feet/4.6 meters. Not the most accurate fire in the world, but it's not altogether too shabby either -- I know I can get a better score at 25 meters, but it'll take me about 20 times as long.
Fortune
I think the reload impressed me the most, though the rest wasn't too shabby either.
Weredigo
eek.gif WOW, I am Impressed. Now I'm wondering how fast his Draw is.
Chibu
You all fail to realize that he could just have an insane reaction and can get multiple actions in a round.... like maybe a d6 +120...
Raygun
Just shows you what is possible when a really skilled shooter is doing the shooting. I used to have a rule that covered this kind of thing, but now I can't find it. I'm pretty sure it was on a thread here where I posted a link to this exact same instance.

While Miculek is an awesomely fast shooter, he still hasn't beaten Ed McGivern's record set back in 1932 of five shots in 0.4 seconds (from a non-compensated 6" S&W M&P revolver). McGivern also reportedly put those rounds into an area "the size of a playing card" at a distance of 15 feet. Oddly enough, McGivern is the main person Miculek studied to pull off the stuff you see in that video.

BTW, Miculek used a handloaded .38 Special wadcutter load (2.7 gr. Bullseye with a 148 gr. cast wadcutter bullet) out of the .357 revolver.

QUOTE (Chibu)
You all fail to realize that he could just have an insane reaction and can get multiple actions in a round.... like maybe a d6 +120...

He's just regular guy. Not super-human in any way. Just very skilled.
Charon
The way I read it is Miculek didn't care to go after McGivern records because of the inaccuracy of the methods used to time them.

Given the instrument used at the time, the real time could easily be .05 higher or lower so you end up with no real way of being sure you beat the record or not. I'm guessing he doesn't want asterisk apposed to his own marks.

EDIT : I read McGivern did 5 shot in .6 seconds, not .4
Kagetenshi
He's got the Adrenaline Surge edge and rolls a lot of sixes.

~J
Raygun
QUOTE (Charon @ Feb 25 2005, 10:18 PM)
The way I read it is Miculek didn't care to go after McGivern records because of the inaccuracy of the methods used to time them.

Given the instrument used at the time, the real time could easily be .05 higher or lower so you end up with no real way of being sure you beat the record or not.  I'm guessing he doesn't want asterisk apposed to his own marks.

EDIT : I read McGivern did 5 shot in .6 seconds, not .4

McGivern's record set at the US Army 163rd Infantry Armory in Lewistown, Montana on September 13, 1932 is five shots 2/5ths of a second. 2/5ths of a second is 0.4 seconds. An attempt was made by McGivern to beat that record on January 18th, 1934 at the same range with time of 9/20ths of a second, or 0.45 seconds. Miculek has never made it within .05 of either number, AFAIK.

At the event in question, Miculek (or agents of the event) attempted to acquire McGivern's timing gear from the National Firearms Museum in order to use it to time his attempt. The museum would not allow him to use it.

It's interesting to note that five shots in 2/5ths of a second represents a cyclical rate of fire of 750 rounds per minute, or about as fast as an M16A2 fires in burst mode.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
He's got the Adrenaline Surge edge and rolls a lot of sixes.

Weighted dice so that he averages over 30 whenever he rolls, and often gets over 100?
Kagetenshi
Yep.

Or Karma Pool.

~J
RedmondLarry
A guy with his speed would not have won very many gunfights in the 'old west'.

After his first or second gunfight, someone would shoot him in the back on his way out to the latrine.

/Edit: I couldn't download it the first 3 times I tried, but it finally worked. It is possible the web site doesn't allow two people to download it at the same time, and this is the error it gives.
Smiley
Ladies and gentlemen, a present-day physad. Didn't I read somewhere that some physical adepts can be totally unaware that they have magical talent? I can't remember where.
Foreigner
Not that I'm belittling Jerry Miculek, but check this out:

Bob Munden--The Fastest Gun to Ever Live

What this man can do with a single-action Colt revolver is not to be believed.

I've seen him on American Shooter (originally on TNN/SPIKE, now on OLN), and the videos back up his claim.

In addition to the "draw and shoot in .21 seconds" claim, I've seen him fire five rounds from a single-action Colt revolver in just over eight-tenths of a second, and seven rounds from a Colt M-1911A1 semiautomatic pistol in 1.06 seconds.

Disclaimer: I'm not certain of the exact times, because I haven't seen an episode of the show for quite a while. Check out the show if you're curious. wink.gif

BTW: Keep in mind that it takes approximately fifteen one-hundredths of a second (0.15 seconds) to blink your eyes.)

--Foreigner
Paul
I remember seeing and reading about this when it happened. I have had a question ever since, that I just now remember to ask:

Why revolvers? Without being familiar with the sport of quick draw, or speed shooting, do they have automatic classes? What's the difference? I think I now, but I'd rather hear it from someone who knows what the hell they are talking about.
Raygun
QUOTE (Foreigner)
Not that I'm belittling  Jerry Miculek, but check this out:

Bob Munden--The Fastest Gun to Ever Live

Hmm. I've seen him in magazines and things. Didn't know he was in Butte. I'm not really into the whole single action revolver thing, but the next time I'm in Butte I might have to check out his shop.

More impressive shit: On Guns & Ammo TV way back I saw Bill Oglesby repeatedly pop balloons at 200 yards with a 2" S&W J-frame in .38 Special. I guess the guy has a lot of money and free time.

QUOTE (Paul)
I remember seeing and reading about this when it happened. I have had a question ever since, that I just now remember to ask:

Why revolvers? Without being familiar with the sport of quick draw, or speed shooting, do they have automatic classes? What's the difference? I think I now, but I'd rather hear it from someone who knows what the hell they are talking about.

Well, mostly because that's what they like to shoot.

The quick draw contests are almost always done with a "wild west" bend to them, as part of a larger sport called "cowboy action shooting" in which everybody gets dressed up in period garb and shows off what they can do with 1860-90's era firearms. Kind of silly if you ask me, but that's what they like to do. The kind of "standard" gun for quick draw competition is the Colt 1873 Single Action Army revolver (or a gun heavily based on it), which was very popular during that time. Several companies still make them. With those revolvers, you have to manually cock the hammer prior to pulling the trigger to release it. Hence "single action". More info on that stuff here.

The thing Jerry Miculek does is speed shooting with a double-action revolver (i.e. pressure on the trigger both cocks the hammer, then releases it). The upside is that cocking the hammer is part of the same action as releasing it, so it's faster. The down side is that the trigger is realtively heavy and has a longer stroke than a single action does, so it's difficult to control at that speed. There's not much more to it than just to see how fast a person can possibly shoot with that kind of revolver.

I suppose you could do the same with a semi-auto, but it's not as much of a challenge. Firing rapidly from the single action mode (which all semi-autos do after the first round) with something that reloads automatically is just too easy, I guess. And reloading umpteen-round magazines cane be done really fast and with much less effort than it takes to reload a revolver. To give you an idea, here's a video of Todd Jarrett doing his thing. Keep in mind that A) he's not really chuggin' away at full speed here, and B) the targets he's shooting at tend to be a bit farther away. Semi-autos just speed the whole thing up significantly.

Semi-auto shooters tend to compete by running courses in which the shooter engages a pre-set number of targets in as short a span of time as possible. There are several different leagues, competitions and courses, all with different rules. IDPA, IPSC, PPC, etc... The really high-speed competitions are usually done with significantly modified pistols based on the 1911.
Paul
Thanks, interesting little movie.

tisoz
Interesting, and to think I skipped it because I thought it was about religion.
The Grifter
For some reason I now have the burning desire to cross a desert and chase a man in black. And I'm not talking about Johnny Cash.
Kagetenshi
Blondie!

~J
hobgoblin
QUOTE (The Grifter)
For some reason I now have the burning desire to cross a desert and chase a man in black. And I'm not talking about Johnny Cash.

how about doing that in sr? say hello to some nasty desert critters and maybe some pissed of indians for me...
DrJest
QUOTE (The Grifter)

Hmm, you know I've only read the first three of those... I must get around to finishing them.
The Grifter
Yes, yes you should. Probably the best series of books I've ever read.
Panzergeist
I can't get that link to work.
Aes
right-click -> save as
torzzzzz
eek.gif

My god thats fast!!!!!!

I shoot shot guns and i would love to be able to do a skeet run with that speed!!!

is he on drugs?
we don't get peeps like that in England!

torz x
Xirces
QUOTE (torzzzzz)

looks at Torz's location...

Is Wales part of England, then?

Always thought so biggrin.gif
Aku
QUOTE (Xirces)
QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Feb 27 2005, 10:52 PM)

looks at Torz's location...

Is Wales part of England, then?

Always thought so biggrin.gif

i always thought wales and england were part of "Great Britian" but seperate. ya know, kinda like cali and the usa grinbig.gif
torzzzzz
biggrin.gif

to be correct which i didn't point out Wales is its own country well almost with its own government ......... i should know i work for them........

dam rumbled.....

All statements made by this person are not views held by the National Assembly for Wales..............

hehehhe oops

torz x
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012