Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, Can We Make The Predator?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Leviathan
So, anyone got any ideas on how to create The Predator in Shadowrun? Equipment should be able to be worked out pretty easy, race, stats and skills may be a little harder, any ideas?
DrJest
Heh, I recall with fondness my PC who earned the nickname Predator for his ruthenium polymer'd heavy security armour (with all the trimmings). He bowed to the inevitable and had his weaponsmith contact make some custom gear for him, including a sleeve pistol (modified cyberarm gun) and a retractable polearm smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
You know, I wanted to do a campaign based on this once, but I never got around to it. The theme would be that the Predator shows up and tries to kill all the PC, and they have to kill it even though they're outmatched, with lots of cat-and-mouse just like in the movies. The fun bit would be each PC would have a turn being the Predator against a new set of characters played by everyone else, then after 5 rounds, they'd all have lots of fun "I so owned you" stories. PvP Shadowrun. I never got around to it, though.
Pthgar
Page 278 SR3. Done.

(I can't believe I got it off first!)
Kagetenshi
Only because some of us refrained nyahnyah.gif

~J
Pthgar
Restraint is for other games and discussion boards. I revel in SR extremism.
DrJest
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Page 278 SR3. Done.

(I can't believe I got it off first!)

P. 278... I got the AK-97, Remington 750, Ranger Arms SM3 and a weapons table?
Pthgar
In the table, not the text. Stats are the highest form of rules info. sleepy.gif

So as not to hijack this thread, is the Predator a human, meta, metavariant, or totally alien? You could go with a psycho troll adept that follows a unique twisted way (Hunter of Meta-Humans) based on the movie. Maybe he even went and had some cosmetic surgery or gene therapy to look more Predator-ish. I think that's what I would do. Less cheese.
DrJest
Doh, okay yeah I get it. It's only been a two cup of coffee day, give me a break sleepy.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
You know, I wanted to do a campaign based on this once, but I never got around to it. The theme would be that the Predator shows up and tries to kill all the PC, and they have to kill it even though they're outmatched, with lots of cat-and-mouse just like in the movies. The fun bit would be each PC would have a turn being the Predator against a new set of characters played by everyone else, then after 5 rounds, they'd all have lots of fun "I so owned you" stories. PvP Shadowrun. I never got around to it, though.

Would those be standard PCs, or wussified ones? Because against most SR groups, a Predator would be in for the beating of his life - although he'd likely manage to badly hurt or kill someone first.

In the movies, they go down hard, but they do eventually go down to unaugmented mundanes. Faced with massive reaction augmentation, magic, or a STR 15 troll with a melee weapon, they'd be screwed.

All they have really going for them is their stealth, which is something SR technology can duplicate, and has multiple ways - thermal and ultrasound vision, astral perception - of getting around.

mmu1
QUOTE (Pthgar @ Feb 25 2005, 10:21 AM)
In the table, not the text.  Stats are the highest form of rules info. sleepy.gif

So as not to hijack this thread, is the Predator a human, meta, metavariant, or totally alien?  You could go with a psycho troll adept that follows a unique twisted way (Hunter of Meta-Humans) based on the movie.  Maybe he even went and had some cosmetic surgery or gene therapy to look more Predator-ish.  I think that's what I would do.  Less cheese.

Well, if you don't want to use an alien, then definitely a heavily augmented human or an orc. They're big, but they're nowehre near troll size - and actually seem to be quicker than the human norm, not slower.

I'd say stats in the 10 body, 10 strength, 6 quickness range, orthoskin, some low-level bone lacing, a balance augmenter, possibly climbing claws, high (six-eight) athletics, unarmed, hand razors (or equivalent), polearm and throwing skills, decent stealth skill (although not great, they rely mostly on their tech there), decent whatever-gun skill. (although, again, no reason to think it'd be anything special, their main advantage is the fact they have a smartlinked gun in a world where no one else does, and they mainly shoot it at unsuspecting targets).
DrJest
A gene-teched psycho troll adept serial killer who thinks he's a Predator...

That's SO got to be done. Ex-corporate or government agent would give him access to the toys (hell, maybe a current agent, or kind of - point him and let him go, he's so nuts you'd never get anything useful out of him if you DID catch him).
Pthgar
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Feb 25 2005, 11:43 AM)
Well, if you don't want to use an alien, then definitely a heavily augmented human or an orc. They're big, but they're nowehre near troll size - and actually seem to be quicker than the human norm, not slower.

I disagree about the size. Remember, the actors in the first movie were mostly tall guys, making the Predator seem smaller than he really was. The actor who played the Predator, Kevin Peter Hall, was 7'2" (sadly he died '91). That is on the small side but well within troll size. I suppose it could be on the tall end for an ork.
mmu1
QUOTE (Pthgar @ Feb 25 2005, 10:56 AM)
I disagree about the size.  Remember, the actors in the first movie were mostly tall guys, making the Predator seem smaller than he really was.  The actor who played the Predator, Kevin Peter Hall, was 7'2" (sadly he died '91).  That is well within troll size.

Trolls are around 3 meters / 10 feet tall. On average. Even if Predators were much larger than in the movies, and were around 8 feet tall (and why assume that they're taller than the actors that played them?) they wouldn't even come close to being as large as trolls. The difference in bulk would be greater than between a 5' tall and 6' tall human, which is massive.

Orc-sized, at best.
Tarantula
I gotta agree with Orc being the best match for Preds as far as body size/strength etc go. Perhaps preds have higher maxes, (maybe they have heavier gravity or something, who knows) but they definately aren't troll sized.

As far as gear, I agree with most of what mmu posted, retractable spurs instead of handrazors, I'd even be willing to say an articulated arm with a smartlinked lazer weapon (shoulder cannon) wouldn't be pushing it too far. Ruthenium of course. Some decent medkits, I'm not too sure how the circle of death would work out, but throwing skill for sure, polearms (for their spears), an assload of electronics skill, area-effect cranial bomb. I'm not so sure about orthoskin/bonelacing. Bonelacing to simulate the thicker bones, maybe, but not actually having their bones laced. Don't forget the biotech skill, they gotta get those trophies out somehow.
Pthgar
P. 47 SR3
Trolls 2.8m=9.2ft
Ork 1.9m=6.2ft
Predator 7'2"~8ft

I still say that Predators are in the middle and could be tall orks or short trolls. Which ever works for you.

Heck, as far as height goes they could be tall elves. If you want to add all kinds of artificial muscle mass, Icould go with that.
Kagetenshi
IIRC Trolls average in at 2.8 meters, making ten feet a moderately tall Troll. Then again, that's still over nine feet tall.

Edit: too slow. How do you get 7'2" as ~8 feet, though?

~J
Pthgar
Sorry I used the tilde (~) as meaning "between."
mmu1
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Feb 25 2005, 11:11 AM)
As far as gear, I agree with most of what mmu posted, retractable spurs instead of handrazors, I'd even be willing to say an articulated arm with a smartlinked lazer weapon (shoulder cannon) wouldn't be pushing it too far.  Ruthenium of course.  Some decent medkits, I'm not too sure how the circle of death would work out, but throwing skill for sure, polearms (for their spears), an assload of electronics skill, area-effect cranial bomb.  I'm not so sure about orthoskin/bonelacing.  Bonelacing to simulate the thicker bones, maybe, but not actually having their bones laced.  Don't forget the biotech skill, they gotta get those trophies out somehow.

I meant the bone lacing as a way of simulating stronger bones - all those bony ridges and spurs they have.

I brought up Orthoskin mainly because of the subway scene in Predator 2 - multiple handguns unloaded at can't-miss range, with nothing to show for it (IIRC) but ricochets, despite the fact they wear very little armor aside from the helmet - and none on the torso. I think there were other instances too of Predators shrugging off gunfire in ways that made it look like the enemies couldn't have possibly missed with all the shots.

If not orthoskin, some sort of dermal armor - whatever they're covered in is tougher than human skin.
Tarantula
Dermal sheathing? Ruthenium coated?
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
IIRC Trolls average in at 2.8 meters, making ten feet a moderately tall Troll. Then again, that's still over nine feet tall.

Edit: too slow. How do you get 7'2" as ~8 feet, though?

~J

Fair enough, but that's still 7'2" for the predator, 9'2" for a troll. (and hey, if the Predators magically gain a foot of height, so can my trolls wink.gif)
Fortune
QUOTE (Pthgar)
The actor who played the Predator, Kevin Peter Hall, was 7'2" (sadly he died '91).

Interesting note: The person inside the original Predator suit (it was totally redone during the actual shoot) was none other that Jean Claude Van Damme. He whined the entire time about it too, and actually passed out several times from the heat.
DrJest
Heh smile.gif Still amuses me that, at the height of his fame, Van Damme had to have bodyguards because of the legal repurcussions if he hit someone wobble.gif
Foreigner
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'm not certain, but I think someone saved you the trouble a while back.

Check this out:

Morrigu's Shadowsource Shadowrun FTP Archive

Scroll down to "Cyber and Bioware" on the main page; then left-click on the link entitled "The Freak Show"; after that, scroll down to "Dermal Ruthenium",

There's also a conversion of "The Predator" for SR:

Scroll down to "Predator" under the heading "Paranormals", then left-click.

Fortune: IIRC, part of Van Damme's performance made it into the final version of the film--it was he, not Kevin Peter Hall, who played the role for the brief sequence in which the Predator--invisible, except for a brief time when first his eyes, then his entire body was shown--was moving through the trees.

--Foreigner
Fortune
I believe most of the long shots of the Predator are actually Van Damme. The close-ups and detail are Hall (except as you noted) in the re-worked suit, which wasn't done until very late in the filming schedule.
Pthgar
That's really funny 'cause Van Damme is only 5'8"! Predators are no bigger than humans! biggrin.gif
Fortune
Yeah, but it was a big-assed suit. grinbig.gif
hahnsoo
How about a Bandersnatch with a laser? *runs and hides*
The Grifter
All I got to say is....

"If it bleeds, we can kill it..."
BitBasher
Thanks Dutch! spin.gif
Fresno Bob
I'm surprised no one's made a Predator Omega joke yet. Have we really gotten that high-brow?
Smiley
HA!
The Grifter
What's funny is, that's the first thing that comes to mind now when I hear the word "predator".

And DumpShock high-brow? That'll be the day I become a wageslave.
Fortune
Strange ... the first thing that comes to my mind on hearing the word 'Predator' is the pistol made by Ares. I'm not addicted to Shadowrun! No, not me! grinbig.gif
The Grifter
Well, tat WAS the first thing, now I have that ass-bastion Omega stuck in my brain.
Renfield
Heh newbie Poster here but this Subject KLinda caught my Eye being a Predator fan and all.
Made a Characetr that was also a fan enough to build his armory around the theme. Ruthenium Polymers, Helmet with laser tracker, Wrist-mounted snap-blades, dart launcher, net launcher...really was the works. Including a Pop-up laser on a tracking mount that would normally stay hidden inside his cyber-torso. Characetr was a LOT of Fun but you have NO idea how many times the GM snipped the power feed to the laser because he didn't like the alser...Oh well, fun while it lasted!
Fresno Bob
When I saw the title of this thread, I, in fact, thought it was about the Predator Omega. Like, how much karma it would take to build him from a starting character and such.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Fortune)
Strange ... the first thing that comes to my mind on hearing the word 'Predator' is the pistol made by Ares. I'm not addicted to Shadowrun! No, not me! grinbig.gif

Me too.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)

The first thing I did was pull out my Cannon Companion. Turned out I needed my M & M instead.
The Grifter
Karma required to build the Predator Omega from scratch= 1,530

Drek-Headed GM's who would allow it in their games= 0.....well, maybe 1.
Fresno Bob
Karma required to build the Predator Omega from scratch= 1,530

Are you shitting me? Really?

Can't forget the part about how he has 8 children by different mothers and wants to one day live in peace with nature.
Toshiaki
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 26 2005, 08:02 PM)

The first thing I did was pull out my Cannon Companion. Turned out I needed my M & M instead.

That was my exact reaction as well. Figured someone wanted to know if it could be done with the construction rules.
Halloween Jack
Ruthenium suit, laser weapon, dikoted chakram and spear, helmet with infravision. Decide for yourself what kind of creature he is (I recommend using some kind of crazed metahuman variant equipped by a corp for use as an assassin). There, you're done.
The Grifter
wants to one day live in peace with nature.

Considering he's a walking abomination and the mirror opposite of nature.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012