Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HV = Death?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tarantula
I'll have to check when I get home. I'll edit this once I do to agree/disagree then.

Edit: Upon checking the book, it does say "When firing turret-mounted weapons, reduce recoil modifiers by half before applying recoil compensation from any accessories. Turrets cancel the double recoil modifier for heavy weapons."

Now then, the way it is read is you reduce recoil modifiers by half. So, heavy weapon, firing 10 bullets = 20 recoil, halfed is 10. Then it says you cancel the double recoil modifier for heavy weapons... which has already been done, as cancelling it puts the recoil at 10.

The other way you might read it, is that you cancel the double recoil, then half, but thats backwards to the order that it is listed in the book, and is not the intent of the ruling IMO.

My standing is that they would reduce a 10rnd heavy weapon burst to 10 recoil. And a 10rnd small weapon burst to 5 recoil, as that seems to be the intent of the rule.
tisoz
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Guess all those WW2 bombers with dual HMGs in a turret were a really bad idea...

It was the image of the WW2 planes strafing targets on the ground and the movie cliche of the bullets passing to both sides of the guys running that I was thinking.

My idea of a fixed mount is the only way to adjust the gun's barrel is moving the vehicle. Maybe you are thinking of some other type of fixed mount. I'm thinking of ones like on a motorcycle or in WW2 era airplane wings.
Tarantula
Tisoz, as far as fixed-mounts go... They 'fire in a fixed arc (no more than 5 degrees to either side, up or down), so a driver "aims" the fixed-mount weapon by moving his vehicle.'

Thats from the book, so it is what you're thinking, however they have enough play to be able to converge on targets.
Crusher Bob
IRL the wing mounted weapons on WW2 fighters were canted slightly inward, so that the fire would converge at around 300 meters (exact distance is variable) in front of the aircraft.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Now then, the way it is read is you reduce recoil modifiers by half. So, heavy weapon, firing 10 bullets = 20 recoil, halfed is 10. Then it says you cancel the double recoil modifier for heavy weapons... which has already been done, as cancelling it puts the recoil at 10.

The problem there is that the Heavy Weapons doubling of recoil only occurs after recoil compensation has been accounted for -- only uncompensated recoil is doubled. The halving of recoil according to the Turret rules occurs before recoil compensation.

I think it's also worth pointing out that there's a paragraph break in that quote, between the sentences, although it does seem that the paragraphs are all over the place in that entry.
Lindt
Yeah, dont go trying to make military planes with the R3r rules. I believe the body for a B-17 would have to be...

Tail Turret (2 .50)
Ball Turret (2 .50)
Dorsal Turret (2 .50)
(2) Waist Guns (.50)
1 Nose Gun (.50)
(2) Cheek Guns (.50)

Which is MIN 11 Hard points, or body 22 just for the GUNS! never mind the 8k lb bomb load.

Lets not even consider the B-24 Liberator (14 guns).
Tarantula
Ahh, that what I get for not checking the heavy weapons rules as well... I thought it doubled the base recoil... In that case, I have to conceed, and that with a firmpoint you can do 10 bullets = 10 recoil, /2 = 5, -4 from recoil compensators, add in an integral laser sight/underbarrel weight and 0 recoil. Don't and you have a grand total of 1 recoil for fully automatic heavy weapon.

As far as the HV one, you'd get 18, /2 = 9, -4 = 5. For a base, on a firmpoint, jump it to a hardpoint/turret, you get 18 /2 = 9, -9 = 0. Which is just insane.

As far as military planes... a LMG takes 1.5, or a firmpoint. Thats 11 firmpoints, or 11 body... Now, I think if you combined some into turrets, it might end up being able to drop down to 8-10 body... but I'd need to be able to go over the chart to do that.
Lindt
Remember that a .50 cal is an HMG

And a better one for you now. De Havilland Mosquito BF 6:

4 7.62mm machine guns (fixed)
4 20mm belt fed cannon (fixed)
8 60lb rockets
plus 1000 lbs of bombs interanlly

Did I mention it was made of plywood? Somehow I dont see a twin engine aircraft with the required body of 14.
Austere Emancipator
Yep. Like I said before, you should just ignore the firm-/hardpoint limits. It's far better an idea just to let the GM to figure out whether a specific combination of weapons would work, and just to use the rule on small vehicles.

Heck, the B-25H Mitchell has 1 75mm cannon (Light Naval Gun?) in a turret and 14 HMGs. That's 2 Large Turrets, 2 Medium turrets, 2 Mini Turrets and 4 Hardpoints, for a total of 20 Hardpoints required. The B-25 doesn't look like it has a BOD of 40...
Edward
Can we see some descriptions of the armlement on more modern military aircraft.

Edward
Austere Emancipator
Righty-o. The AC-130H Spectre carries 2 M61 Vulcan 20mm gatling cannons, 1 Bofors L60 40mm autocannon and one M102 105mm howitzer, all in separate turrets (of a kind) on the left side of its hull. That's 3 Small Turrets and a Large Turret, which would mean a Body of 20 for this mid-size 2-engine rotor cargo aircraft.
Tarantula
Who says its a large turret? Or that 2 vulcans couldn't fit on a medium instead of 2 small? Also, it breaks the weapon rules because aircraft have to balance one on each wing by the book.
Austere Emancipator
A 105mm howitzer is at least a Light Naval Gun (LNG probably refers to 76mm shipboard cannons), which means it has a Weapon Value of 8 or more, which means it requires a Large Turret to mount it. The Vulcans have to be on separate turrets, because 1) they are, and 2) they are capable of firing at separate targets.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Also, it breaks the weapon rules because aircraft have to balance one on each wing by the book.

Too bad. Really.
Tarantula
Put the vulcans on fixed hardpoints instead then, that'll make it more economical for the hardpoint consumption. There are howitzers listed in SOTA2063, I assumed you were using that. I'm fairly certain it isn't a naval gun, and that it doesn't even do naval damage. But you'd use that if you wanted to use a howitzer.
Austere Emancipator
I haven't got SOTA63, and I've got a feeling the howitzer doesn't have a listed Weapon Value? Now, are you going to argue that a 105mm howitzer should be far smaller than a "Light Naval Gun" (a 250kg shipboard cannon which only does 16D+5, most likely equivalent to RL 76mm cannons), or are you just dragging on because you don't want to admit that the BOD/Hardpoint rules are silly?

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Put the vulcans on fixed hardpoints instead then, that'll make it more economical for the hardpoint consumption.

The Vulcans can independently engage targets in a ~45 degree area off the port side of the plane. Putting them on fixed hardpoints would really screw up the plane, since the whole point is that it doesn't have to turn much to engage different targets.
Crusher Bob
The 75mm gun the the B-25 was fixed not turreted, IIRC. Besides, it was hard to use and aim, and made all sorts of parts lose when fired. The later versions usually had around 8 .50 cals in the nose instead...

Modern aircraft armament (for almost all US 'fighters') the the M61 cannon. In SR terms, 18 or 20D, and HV. The cannon are never realled used much these days. The real armament of the aircraft is in the missiles. Loadouts typically being 4 medium ranged (~40 miles) and 4 short ranged (~5 miles) missles for AA work.

For A-G worg, it kinda depends on the plane but usually two short ranged AA missiles, then around 4,000 to 20,000 pounds of bombs, depending on the plane and the required range...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
The 75mm gun the the B-25 was fixed not turreted, IIRC.

Oh, right you are, here's a picture of the nose set-up, only the B-25H also has 4 .50s fixed on the sides of the nose. So make that 9 Hardpoints, 2 Medium Turrets and 2 Miniturrets, or 17 Hardpoints, which means the Mitchell would have required a BOD of 34. Not nearly as bad...

The saving grace for modern aircraft design with the R3 is that external missile mounts do not use up Firm-/Hardpoints. For some reason I just can't understand, Launch Control Systems do, though, so you can't fire more than a few missiles per Init Pass unless you go with a Bomber chassis.
Lantzer
I simply don't expect to have to 'build' vehicles with Rigger 3 beyond the customization of vehicles you might have to deal with on the scale that runners can reasonably expect to own/modify/build.

Anything outside of that range I build as follows: I decide what it can do. It does it. Isn't being GM nice?

In 2060, the odds that PCs are going to have to design and build a WW2 bomber or a space shuttle, or Zepplin or even serious fighter aircraft are pretty darn low.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012