Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ShadowRun bought by Microsoft!?!?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow Beast
A friend of mine read an article from some gamerzine that said MS bought Shadowrun or something. I can reach him so I thought I would reach out to my running brethren. Anyone know anything? (P.S. Im not new to DS, I just lost all my account info so I made a new one)
Tarantula
MS has owned the game producing rights to shadowrun for a long while now.
Tanka
No, MS owns the right to an SR video game. They have since FASA sold the rights for the tabletop game to WizKids (who then licensed it to FanPro).
hahnsoo
All of FASA's licenses for computer games are owned by Microsoft, which is why you can play Mech Assault on your X-Box. Crimson Skies was also made into a rather entertaining game. Shadowrun has not been made into a computer game, although a couple of console adaptations were made for the Genesis and SNES.
Charon
Well, Mircosoft owns the right to make a computer game based on SR. It's probably what your friend read.

EDIT : Man, you have to be fast on the draw around here.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Crimson Skies was also made into a rather entertaining game.

The really funny thing is, Crimson Skies was originally supposed to be a computer game, but it got delayed midway through the development cycle and so FASA Interactive licensed the right to use the setting for a tabletop game back to it's parent corporation FASA Corp. This happened right before FASA had their little sweetheart deal with Microsoft that let MS buy out FASA Interactive in exchange for the lump sum of money that kept FASA Corp. going those last few months.

Because it had happened so close to the deal, FASA Corp. had just put out the rulebook, and hadn't even gotten the pewter minis out the door yet. When they did start manufacturing them, Microsoft reminded them that Crimson Skies was now Uncle Bill's intellectual property and required them to slap a "Microsoft Games Studio" logo on every blister pack.

Shadowrun has not been made into a computer game, although a couple of console adaptations were made for the Genesis and SNES.

And who can forget the version that came out for SegaCD, but only in Japan?

At the time it was bought out, FASA Interactive was developing a PC title called Shadowrun: Assassin, that was slated to be a third-person shooter (this was right around the time Tomb Raider was the hot industry property, and some feel there would have been some influence because of it). They got at least as far as having a 3D Render of what presumably would have been the main character, a sexy elf chick[tm] armed with a katana and what looks to be a HV firearm of some sort. The GenCon that FASA released 3rd Edition, they gave away flyers that had this Assassin Elf Chick done up like the other 3rd Edition sample characters, with portrait and statblock on glossy black paper.

However, when Microsoft bought FASA Interactive, they decided that SR: Assassin was conceptually too close to another title that they had planned for release at the same time, and decided to shelve it. It's not been heard from since.
Shadow Beast
So FanPro can still/ is still doing things with Shadowrun (the books and dice) while MS can make Shadowrun (the video/computer game)?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Shadow Beast)
So FanPro can still/ is still doing things with Shadowrun (the books and dice) while MS can make Shadowrun (the video/computer game)?

WizKids LLC owns the IP rights to anything Shadowrun related, except for the right to computer/console games set in the Shadowrun universe, as far as I know.

Adam
QUOTE (Shadow Beast)

Yes. FanPro produces gaming material for Shadowrun and Classic BattleTech under license from WizKids Inc.
torzzzzz
if SR was made into a computer game surley it would have to be a network game or it would just be another shoot em up??

bring it out on the PS and give it a light gun too ............ on the net ooooh drool!!

torz x embarrassed.gif
bitrunner
this thread has come up before...what was probably noticed is that M$ recently set up the legal paperwork to use the SR logo - this is being taken as a sign that they are now ready to resume production on a computer game...

for some history, google up MS, Bungie, and Shadowrun...
BookWyrm
A close-to-it style SR computer game I've found is The Matrix Online MMORPG. I think that if a Shadowrun online RPG were to be developed, it would have to be VERY similar to this.
Tanka
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
A close-to-it style SR computer game I've found is The Matrix Online MMORPG. I think that if a Shadowrun online RPG were to be developed, it would have to be VERY similar to this.

No it wouldn't.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
bring it out on the PS and give it a light gun too

I highly doubt you'd see a Shadowrun game for Playstation anytime in the near future. X-Box and PC only.

(Of course, I never thought I'd see the day you'd be able to play a Sonic the Hedgehog game on Nintendo either, but that's a different story all together.)
bitrunner
rumor i've heard is that the plan is for SR to be one of the premiere releases for the XBox 2....
hermit
Oh goodie, now I may actually have to buy that thing ... nyahnyah.gif
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (BookWyrm)

I hope not, because I would really want any sort of Shadowrun game to _NOT_ suck as much as possible.
mfb
i dunno. the latests patches for the beta apparently improve the gameplay quite a bit. and it uses a classless-but-nichey character building system, like SR.
Raife
Well I have a buddy who works at Gamestop... who heard from an Micro-rep that Shadowrun has something coming in the future... probably for X-box 2 and that we might find out stuff at E3 depending on how many details are released about the Xbox2.

Of course... I may have failed my Friend of a Friend Ettiquette(Videogames) test here so don't trust my contact information until we see at E3. I am hoping I'm write.

I am also hoping for a persistant world game.
mfb
i'm not, myself. then, i already play in a persistent-world SR game; it's understandable that you poor saps feel like you're missing out!
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Raife)
I am also hoping for a persistant world game.

I'm hoping for a building kit and scripting system as robust as Neverwinter Nights... you can make games as small as an online gaming group of 3 to 4 players plus GM or make MUD-like environments that can host 60 to 70 players. But if it's going to be for XBox 2, then it'll probably be a console 3rd person shooter... those seem to be popular nowadays.
Tanka
Shadowrun-in-name-only. Just what we need to spread the word.
Large Mike

My vote is still something similar in feel and taking hints from the engines of Dues Ex and Splinter Cell (non-multiplayer).

I could see it being *seriously* kickass as a MMORPG
Tanka
As long as they do the character generation right (mighty hard) and make it so there are actual people setting up runs.

It would have to be very, very robust in nature. A standard MMO just wouldn't do.
Chibu
I doubt that ms will ever get an SR game right =(

poor MS, the are a sad, sad company....
Kagetenshi
Indeed. What they did to the Halo games was a crime against nature.

Maybe if we're lucky MS will fall on hard times and sell off the Shadowrun rights. Mechwarrior is too popular a franchise to hope that all of FASA Interactive will end up somewhere saner.

~J
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
What they did to the Halo games was a crime against nature.

Very much just opinion. Judging from game sales, there are quite a few people who would disagree with you... me included. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
I'd say that it is soundly not a matter of opinion that if you take a game and spend five months working on that game as opposed to, say, porting that game to an entirely new architecture, operating system, and control scheme, the former game is going to be unqualifiedly better.

But that's neither here nor there.

~J
Tziluthi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Maybe if we're lucky MS will fall on hard times and sell off the Shadowrun rights.

At this stage, we would have to be really, really lucky for anything like that to happen.

In any case, considering the way shadowrun is played, I don't think that you could base a SR MMORPG on anything that is out, to date. Largely because PCs start out fairly high-powered to begin with, and with the exception of magical types, PCs will not actually get too much more powerful as they go along.

And that's just character creation. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be to construct a game engine that covered the many facets of shadowrun.
Chibu
ACtually, you COULD make it so that you only start out with like, 50 points (using the point system of course) and then everyone would still have to get better.
Botch
What I would like to see in an on-line focused game that is flexible enough to allow people to refine only the details of their game dungeon to create an international network of fixers where characters can be ported from fixer to fixer.

I feel that any video game that puts more work into graphics than system mechanics is going to be sucky for SR. Then again, I'm old enough to have been overwhelmed by the awesome ability to play with other people, internationally, through a text-based MUD using a telnet session. I just feel that unless the game would work almost without graphics then it doesn't matter whether the elf has nice tits and Real™ jiggling buttocks or troll's dermal armour looks plausible. Any game that attempts to paper over the cracks in the mechanics would surely piss us off. We seem to be a community where, if shown a wall with paper-overed holes, we'd instantly poke our fingers through the paper to make a point, even if it was safe and looked nice.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
In any case, considering the way shadowrun is played, I don't think that you could base a SR MMORPG on anything that is out, to date. Largely because PCs start out fairly high-powered to begin with, and with the exception of magical types, PCs will not actually get too much more powerful as they go along.

Kinda like City of Heroes? It allows you to start with a high-powered character with a robust character creation interface, and any improvements just augment your abilities marginally.
locomotiveman
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 2 2005, 02:48 PM)
Maybe if we're lucky MS will fall on hard times and sell off the Shadowrun rights.

At this stage, we would have to be really, really lucky for anything like that to happen.

At this stage if MS is in that bad of shape what happens to SR is really a back burner issue anyway.
Cochise
QUOTE (Large Mike)
My vote is still something similar in feel and taking hints from the engines of Dues Ex and Splinter Cell (non-multiplayer).

I could see it being *seriously* kickass as a MMORPG

Seriously: I don't ...

Take a look at World of Warcraft ... MMORPG ... works fine. Thousands to ten thousands of players in one Realm doing the same quests over and over again and in the near future even larger scaled "wars". PCs outnumber NPCs by far. But anyone can be whatever he wants to be within that setting, since all races and classes are involved with the background story.

But SR? Yeah right, a Seattle (or any other possible setting) full of Runners. 90% of all encountered persons are Runners? I just can't see a majority of players going for the "I wanna be an ordinary person"-feeling and possibly pay for that (because commercial MMORPG these days come with monthly fees). We usually are ordinary people the whole day long. Playing an RPG or MMORPG usually is connected to being someone not so ordinary.
moosegod
My brother and I actually discussed how to do an MMORPG with SR. It COULD be done, but it would be a hell of a lot of work.
Aku
i could possibly see myself playing as a fixer or johnson type person in a mmorpg, especially if, as a johnson, there was SOME way to make a mission "on the fly" as a PC.

Like say someone approachs me for a work, "Yea, i got something, lets see here..."

and through a quick series of menus/pictures, i choose something maybe like, an unwilling extraction, and X location, of Y person (in my case, almost always a busty female) paying nuyen.gif for the job, plus bonuses for not killing or whatever...

yea, that'd be cool. feasible right now? i doubt it, though i havent really loooked at the current generation of mmorpgs, but i think the biggest problem would be getting that kind of power into a players hand, without breaking something.

for instance, where do the rewards come from? does the johnson somehow have to do some sort of work to get automated work, or does he have to pay out of his own pocket? if it's all "fake" then how is he limited from giving millions of nuyen.gif to someone for going to pick him up some eggs and milk?
DarusGrey
In such a game everyone *wouldnt* have to be runners, a mage, samurai, rigger, etc, doesnt "have" to be a criminal.

Players could for example be police officers, dealers, fixers, work as a corp wage-mage, etc etc etc.

Non-combat characters or alternate roles have been popular in many MMOs.

Besides, if someone really wanted, theres a billion and one ways to make a SR video game without MS's permission.
Just have to "borrow" some of for example EA's legal team that handles thier LOTR stuff.

I'm willing to bet it'd be possible to simply "base a game" on the SR "source books" as referances, or at worst be forced to release a novella that incorporates plot elements of the game your looking to create and then use the rights to it as a foundation.

Different companies owning seperate rights =legal fun.

Regardless its just a pipe-dream anyways for now.
Cochise
QUOTE (moosegod)
My brother and I actually discussed how to do an MMORPG with SR. It COULD be done, but it would be a hell of a lot of work.

I have serious doubts there wink.gif
Technically it would be possible. It's more the setting that doesn't work out ...

_______

QUOTE (DarusGrey)
In such a game everyone *wouldnt* have to be runners, a mage, samurai, rigger, etc, doesnt "have" to be a criminal.

It's not so much about "wouldn't have to be" ... it's more about "want to be".
The majority of Pen & Paper SR-Players do play Runners. It's the primary setting.

You'd have to present the whole universe differently to make other professions equally attractive.
For players that don't know the P&P version or the novels, that wouldn't make much diffference, but for those who do, it would "suck" ...
You'd have a game then, but it wouldn't be Shadowrun, although it would have the same name.

Players could for example be police officers, dealers, fixers, work as a corp wage-mage, etc etc etc.

They could be, but do they really want to be?
Take a look at what is defined as standard Lone Star cop: He's only slightly above average in his attributes. His gear is enough to keep unmodified people at bay, but against a typical Runner he's lost as an individual. I still can't see a huge majority of people willingly playing roles in the SR universe that have nothing to do with running and inherently limits their access to gear and so on!?

Non-combat characters or alternate roles have been popular in many MMOs.

But it's their choice there. Their characters could still participate as combatants without limitations (other than class) if they wanted ...
Demonseed Elite
A Shadowrun MMO would be tough. Possible, maybe, with some creative tweaking. It wouldn't be the same as your tabletop Shadowrun game, that's for sure.

That said, I don't think we'll see one. Not anytime soon. A Shadowrun license would likely be used on some other type of game than an MMO. However, I was at Turbine once (the guys who make Asheron's Call, and the upcoming Middle Earth and Dungeons and Dragons MMOs) and Ken Troop, their live team producer and I talked about a Shadowrun MMO for awhile. He's played SR before and thought it would be awesome, but we both agreed on the difficulties of it.

Of course, Turbine also has close partnerships with Microsoft.
DarusGrey
They could be, but do they really want to be?

Well, as a MMO veteran, the simple answer is "yes", as I said, alternate roles have been very popular.
In UO for instance, theres plenty of people who have a tradesman as thier main or only character.

Its very doable, to expand on the lone star example, players wouldn't always be forced to be beat cops, as they gained karma, advance in abilities, advance in ranks, become swat team members, snipers, detectives, etc etc etc.

Its definetly not unfeasible from a game design perspective (which is my field btw).
On otherhand its certainly not easy either, since you have to take dozens of applications outside of being a "runner" and give them all equal attention to detail so that they are appealing and viable routes of character advancement.
Demonseed Elite
'Course, a game that focuses equally on the alternative roles isn't really a Shadowrun game. Not in the way that SR really is about, at its core, shadowrunners.

And that's where some of the most fundamental difficulties come in. Are you making an MMO that's a derivative of the SR setting, or an MMO which stays true to the game's focus? Neither is particularly easy.

Honestly, for the closest approximation, you need to look at Matrix Online. I know it's not the same property, but they face some of the same problems an SR MMO would face. And having been in the MxO beta, I'd say that the handling is still clumsy and troublesome in a lot of respects.
Cochise
QUOTE (DarusGrey)
Well, as a MMO veteran, the simple answer is "yes", as I said, alternate roles have been very popular.
In UO for instance, theres plenty of people who have a tradesman as thier main or only character.

The big difference being: UO was already designed to be that way. Remember: I said it's a question of "setting" ... I already took the most recent MMORPG: WoW. You can be a "trader" there as well (at least on the Roleplaying Servers. The other server types don't necessarily provide a good atmosphere for doing so). But even if you choose to do so, your character still has the potential of being whatever you want him to be ...
If all UO or WoW Players decide to be Warriors that'll work just fine within the given Fantasy setting. Have an SR-Game where the population of Runners is even in the percent region and it becomes absurd.

Its very doable, to expand on the lone star example, players wouldn't always be forced to be beat cops, as they gained karma, advance in abilities, advance in ranks, become swat team members, snipers, detectives, etc etc etc.

See that's one of the problems I meant: Character development. Practically everybody playing an MMORPG wants his character to develop. So all those Cops will eventually become SWAT members, snipers or detectives. And just as 1000+ Toprunners are absurd in Seattle the same is true for 1000+ SWAT members or snipers ...

Its definetly not unfeasible from a game design perspective (which is my field btw).

As I said: Technically there's always a solution. But when looking at what's the main setting of SR, I highly doubt that it would turn out as "Shadowrun".

On otherhand its certainly not easy either, since you have to take dozens of applications outside of being a "runner" and give them all equal attention to detail so that they are appealing and viable routes of character advancement.

You'd have to make these other fields even more attractive than Running ... in order to keep the numbers "right". And that's the major problem: What's the incentive for playing an ongoing career as sarariman? Sectretary? Cleaning personel? Etc. .. The world of SR is full of totally "ordinary" people who stay ordinary their whole life and you simply cannot have them as hordes of NPCs.
Change that and those who know the SR setting will say "that's not SR feeling" ...
Those who don't know wouldn't care, but for them you could give it any name that comes to mind that doesn't sound stupid ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012