Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrunrpg.com FAQ and invisibility
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ShadowGhost
Ugggh. I do not like the FAQ on invisibility:
Do you see yourself when you've cast Invisibility on yourself? What about others you cast it upon?
Invisibility affects everyone--caster, subjects and bystanders--alike. In order to see someone who is invisible, the viewer must successfully resist the spell. This applies to the caster and anyone made invisible by the spell.

If you cast Invisibility on a wall, can you then cast spells at targets on the other side since line of sight is no longer obstructed, while still receiving cover from the wall from bullets?
Yes. If you successfully cast Invisibility on a wall (keep in mind that the Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the wall's Object Resistance), then it no longer blocks LOS and you can cast spells through it (except for elemental manipulations, which will still hit the wall). Likewise, the invisible wall will not provide cover from any ranged attacks (unless the attacker resists the spell's effect), though it will provide an armor bonus, since the bullets must still pass through the wall.

Can I cast Invisibility on a sword to hide it from people, or does it have to be Improved Invisibility, since the sword isn't living? Does the Improved Invisibility spell I cast on the sword have to have a Force >= half the Object Resistance value of the sword in order to have any affect? Does the Improved Invisibility spell I cast on the sword have to have a Force >= half the Object Resistance value of the security cameras in order to hide it from the cameras?
You can cast either Invisibility or Improved Invisibility on a sword to hide it; Invisibility will only hide it from living beings, however, whereas Improved Invisibility will hide it from cameras as well.
The spell must have a Force equal or greater than half the Object Resistance of the sword (a modern sword, made out of modern composite alloys, would have an OR of 8, requiring a Force 4+ spell).
The OR of the cameras does not matter, as they are not the _subject_ of the Invisibility spell.

If I succeed in fooling a security camera with an Improved Invisibility spell, do people viewing the security camera output get a chance to resist the spell as well? What if they view the recorded image the next day? Does it matter if the sustained spell is still being sustained when they view the recorded image?
No, if the spell is successful, then technological sensors fail to record the invisible person/object.

I think they need to re-write the rules for illusion spells.

I've always pictured invisibility spells as an illusion that recreates the environment perfectly, without the subject of the spell, by creating that illusion around them.

I know there's different interpretations for Improved Invisibility "affecting" cameras - some say it must have a force = 1/2 OR in order for the illusion to be seen by a camera.

My take is that when the spell is cast by a mage, creating a physical illusion, cameras automatically see the illusion. However they are not "affected" by the illusion.... i.e. the camera is not physically changed in any way by the spell, so IMO, OR has nothing to do with the force it must be cast at in order for the illusion to be seen by the camera.

Ditto for making an object "invisible"... you're not casting the spell on the object, but creating an illusion around it... and illusion that recreates the environment *without* the object. Since you haven't changed the object in any way, OR shouldn't apply to the sorcery test to create the illusion Improved Invisibility.

That's only my opinion, and this has been done to death, and will be done again... and again.

However, allowing someone to cast this spell on a wall so you can cast spells through it (except the aforementioned Elemental Manipulations).... is utterly wrong, IMO.

Improved Invisibility must still be "cast around the subject".... and how to you do that with a wall?

When casting on a person, even though you cannot see their backside, at least you are capable of seeing their backside, just by walking around. And, unless they are standing up against a wall, the illusion is "cast around the subject".... but with a wall, it blocks the capability of "casting it around" the wall.

And now it introduces other stupid things.... if we can cast it on a wall and make part of a wall invisible.... can we now make 1/2 a person invisible? just the top half so they can shoot over a low wall without being seen?

Can we make someone's armor invisible while they're wearing it so it doesn't look like they are wearing armor?

How about a long hedge? Can we make that invisible so we can shoot people and avoid cover modifiers?

This really screws things up, IMO.
Sokei
totally agree, i see invis and imp invis as affecting the minds of those around you... and the part about the caster having to save vs his own spell in order to see himself.... no way.

mage : casts invis spell, fails saving throw
"OMG WHERES MY BODY!"
Tarantula
Isn't there some rule that magic and technilogical sensors can NOT increase LOS for mages for casting? And that the only thing that can is optical reflection? (or stuff paid for with essence).
Aku
i agree that that FAQ allows for some funky things, but remember, that faq is not cannon, merely one person's opinion on how it works. if that shows up in the erratta though.. well, oh well...

but yes, i would say, if you use those FAQ rules, the sword could be invisable, the hedge goes (if the wall, why not the hedge?) i'm not usre about half a person though...

Isn't there something about interacting with an illusion the person gets another chance to realize something's amiss? i would say getting cut by a sword would count for that heh
Xirces
QUOTE (Sokei)
totally agree, i see invis and imp invis as affecting the minds of those around you... and the part about the caster having to save vs his own spell in order to see himself.... no way.

"OMG WHERES MY BODY!"

If that were the case then the mage in question wouldn't be able to see anything as the light wouldn't be refracted in the eye. He'd generally have worse problems than just ot seeing his own body smile.gif (NB: I've never been into biology so deliberately didn't go into further detail!)

How can that be reconciled with the FAQ?

If the spell did just affect the minds of potential viewers this would not be an issue.

Actually - the opening story of BBB describes Animal under an invisibility spell - he can see himself and wonders if the spell has actually worked...
Tarantula
What if you invisibility armor, and then put it on. Does it create a seethrough part on the person since they're partially covered in the armor (as if the armor was ruth coated for instance).

This faq ruling seems to treat invisibility spells as ruthenium, and leave it at that.
nezumi
QUOTE (Sokei)

"OMG WHERES MY BODY!"

To which his neighbor would respond, "it's invisible, dumbass. Need to label the pages in your spellbook better?"

The novels, and if memory serves the story in the front of SR2 both have examples of people not being able to see their own body.

As for the FAQ ruling... Come on, weren't they reading the forums?? We ARE the canon lynch-mob, after all! I don't suppose we can write them e-mails saying 'no, you're wrong!', can we? (Or, more precisely, will doing so be productive?)
RunnerPaul
You could politely point out that the FAQ is starting to loose credibility with its intended audience.
hahnsoo
So, if I have a Force 6 Water Elemental, and cast Improved Invisibility on it, then I can use it as cover ("Block those bullets and rockets for me, you tall glass of water!"), and chuck spells through it, while the bullets ineffectually pound on the Water Elemental?
BitBasher
Again, like the regeneration thing, the invisibility thing directly contradicts the text in the book. "Magic may not be used to achieve LOS".

The credibility of the FAQ is dropping rapidly. frown.gif

Actually, IMHO this update makes it pretty much non-existant for me....
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Mar 3 2005, 05:41 PM)
Again, like the regeneration thing, the invisibility thing directly contradicts the text in the book. "Magic may not be used to achieve LOS".

Where did you find this phrase? The closest thing I could find is:
Metahuman vision abilities can also enhance line of sight, but not spells like Clairvoyance or any other spells which alter vision.
pg 181, SR3
BitBasher
The line:
or any other spells which alter vision.

Would cover it too.

EDIT: and no book quote from me right now cause I left my pocket PC at home with the PDF's on it.
mfb
that's odd. so, someone with the nightvision spell cast on them would still take full visibility mods for spellcasting in complete darkness...?
BitBasher
That's not odd, IMHO that's magic granting LOS which is a no-no. Buy a flashlight. wink.gif
Aku
i would say that "acheiving LoS" and reducing/eliminationg vision mods would be a different thing.

LoS would be that there is something physically between you and your target. With night vision, there is nothing blocking the path between you and your target, just without the spell, you asre unsure where exactly he is.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (mfb)
that's odd. so, someone with the nightvision spell cast on them would still take full visibility mods for spellcasting in complete darkness...?

<Bangs head on wall>

This is where we could use a Shadowrun GM Guide.... one that handles answers to all these types of questions while respecting what is Canon, and Game Balance.
Xirces
The LOS thing, I thought, referred to the case where a Mage makes a wall invisible then casts spells at the people on the other side because he now has LOS.
Dawnshadow
So... to cast invisibility on a sword, you need to have force greater than half OR of the sword..

Doesn't that imply that if you cast invisibility on yourself, your weapons, clothes, etc stay visible unless the spell is high enough force?

I mean.. you have a shaman with a gun who casts a low force invisibility on himself, wouldn't the gun be visible? Or who casts it on a decker, for that matter?
Xirces
I think that everything that a person is carrying or wearing is made invisible at the time - the bigger question IMO is what happens to newly picked up objects or something you put down - "Has anyone seen my gun? I put it down over there..."
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Xirces)
The LOS thing, I thought, referred to the case where a Mage makes a wall invisible then casts spells at the people on the other side because he now has LOS.

Not really - he is seeing an illusion of the targets... the wall is not invisible.... it's an illusion that makes the wall 'appear' invisible.

I've written to Rob Boyle, and here's part of what I wrote that would explain why casting spells at targets through an invisible wall wouldn't work.:

From the descriptions of Indirect Illusion Spells, I picture Invisibility & Improved Invisibility as illusions that are cast around the subject, recreating the environment without the subject of the spell. The subject is not actually invisible, just covered by an illusion that shows the environment without the subject of the spell. So looking at an "invisible" person, the illusion recreates the wall behind them, the floor beneath them, the rays of the sun beaming "through" them; all of this is recreated on the illusion surrounding the subject.

This is similar to how Ruthenium works - essentially creating a picture on the ruthenium of the environment around the suit.... but using magic, instead of technology. The subject is not actually invisible, merely covered by an illusion that recreates the environment around them, without the subject.

My definition of "environment" is wherever the subject of the spell happens to be; indoors, outdoors, underground, etc.

In trying to cast this spell "around" the wall to make it "invisible", one would think it would fail, as the spell cannot "surround" the wall - much like trying to draw a circle on the floor that will surround the wall - the circle is stopped by the wall, unless you leave the room you are in, go to the room on the other side of the wall and continue drawing the circle. The wall acts as it's own barrier to being surrounded by the illusion.

Line of Sight is required for all spells, and to cast it on a wall where you are incapable of having a line of sight on the other side would violate the LOS rule.

While it's true you do not see the the far side of a character you are casting this spell on, at least you're capable of casting the spell AROUND them - there are no barriers or physical impediments to the spell surrounding them, unless they are standing up against a wall or similar barrier.

Even if one wishes to ignore my suggestion (that the spell must surround the subject), and rule the wall can be made invisible, you're still looking at an illusion - the wall is not "invisible".... you are looking at an illusion that makes the wall appear as if it is no longer there. So any spells you cast are targeting illusions created by the invisibility spell - they are not cast at the actual Targets, but a illusion(picture) of them. This would be the same as casting a combat spell at an image of a target on a security monitor, something expressly forbidden by SR3 Canon:

Anything modifying the original image of the target before it reaches the caster, such as digital imaging equipment or simsense, prevents the caster from casting spells on that target. SR3 - page 181.

Since you don't have a valid LOS on the target (You're looking at an illusion of the target), one shouldn't be able to cast spells at a target through an invisible wall.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
Ugggh. I do not like the FAQ on invisibility:
Do you see yourself when you've cast Invisibility on yourself? What about others you cast it upon?
Invisibility affects everyone--caster, subjects and bystanders--alike. In order to see someone who is invisible, the viewer must successfully resist the spell. This applies to the caster and anyone made invisible by the spell.

If you cast Invisibility on a wall, can you then cast spells at targets on the other side since line of sight is no longer obstructed, while still receiving cover from the wall from bullets?
Yes. If you successfully cast Invisibility on a wall (keep in mind that the Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the wall's Object Resistance), then it no longer blocks LOS and you can cast spells through it (except for elemental manipulations, which will still hit the wall). Likewise, the invisible wall will not provide cover from any ranged attacks (unless the attacker resists the spell's effect), though it will provide an armor bonus, since the bullets must still pass through the wall.

Can I cast Invisibility on a sword to hide it from people, or does it have to be Improved Invisibility, since the sword isn't living? Does the Improved Invisibility spell I cast on the sword have to have a Force >= half the Object Resistance value of the sword in order to have any affect? Does the Improved Invisibility spell I cast on the sword have to have a Force >= half the Object Resistance value of the security cameras in order to hide it from the cameras?
You can cast either Invisibility or Improved Invisibility on a sword to hide it; Invisibility will only hide it from living beings, however, whereas Improved Invisibility will hide it from cameras as well.
The spell must have a Force equal or greater than half the Object Resistance of the sword (a modern sword, made out of modern composite alloys, would have an OR of 8, requiring a Force 4+ spell).
The OR of the cameras does not matter, as they are not the _subject_ of the Invisibility spell.

If I succeed in fooling a security camera with an Improved Invisibility spell, do people viewing the security camera output get a chance to resist the spell as well? What if they view the recorded image the next day? Does it matter if the sustained spell is still being sustained when they view the recorded image?
No, if the spell is successful, then technological sensors fail to record the invisible person/object.

I think they need to re-write the rules for illusion spells.

I've always pictured invisibility spells as an illusion that recreates the environment perfectly, without the subject of the spell, by creating that illusion around them.

I know there's different interpretations for Improved Invisibility "affecting" cameras - some say it must have a force = 1/2 OR in order for the illusion to be seen by a camera.

My take is that when the spell is cast by a mage, creating a physical illusion, cameras automatically see the illusion. However they are not "affected" by the illusion.... i.e. the camera is not physically changed in any way by the spell, so IMO, OR has nothing to do with the force it must be cast at in order for the illusion to be seen by the camera.

Ditto for making an object "invisible"... you're not casting the spell on the object, but creating an illusion around it... and illusion that recreates the environment *without* the object. Since you haven't changed the object in any way, OR shouldn't apply to the sorcery test to create the illusion Improved Invisibility.

That's only my opinion, and this has been done to death, and will be done again... and again.

However, allowing someone to cast this spell on a wall so you can cast spells through it (except the aforementioned Elemental Manipulations).... is utterly wrong, IMO.

Improved Invisibility must still be "cast around the subject".... and how to you do that with a wall?

When casting on a person, even though you cannot see their backside, at least you are capable of seeing their backside, just by walking around. And, unless they are standing up against a wall, the illusion is "cast around the subject".... but with a wall, it blocks the capability of "casting it around" the wall.

And now it introduces other stupid things.... if we can cast it on a wall and make part of a wall invisible.... can we now make 1/2 a person invisible? just the top half so they can shoot over a low wall without being seen?

Can we make someone's armor invisible while they're wearing it so it doesn't look like they are wearing armor?

How about a long hedge? Can we make that invisible so we can shoot people and avoid cover modifiers?

This really screws things up, IMO.

I agree, Bleh.

There is no light-bending going on, just the "Illusion" that the wall isn't there. I am still confused how making a wall invisible gives you LOS since you'd only see what "you think" should be on the otherside of the wall.

I don't like it sir, don't like it one bit.
KarmaInferno
Casting invisibility on a wall is pretty much like covering the wall with a vidscreen showing a computer-generated depiction of what is on the other side.

Heck, I can't remember, what determines the results of the generated illusion, the caster? If the caster has no idea there are folks behind that wall, wouldn't the illusion just show empty space?

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 3 2005, 08:19 PM)
Casting invisibility on a wall is pretty much like covering the wall with a vidscreen showing a computer-generated depiction of what is on the other side.

Heck, I can't remember, what determines the results of the generated illusion, the caster? If the caster has no idea there are folks behind that wall, wouldn't the illusion just show empty space?

The caster can't see the backside of characters he casts the spell on either... this is one of those situations where I let "magic" take care of the details.

The caster only needs to have LOS when casting the spell. So if he casts Improved Invisibility illusion onto the character, and into a sustaining focus the character takes with them, and that character leaves the room; does the Improved Invisibility illusion automatically fail because the mage no longer has line of sight, even though the sustaining focus sustains the spell on the subject?

As I said, this is somthing where I let the "magic" take care of the details of the illusion of invisibility - so the magic would take care of recreating the details on the other side of the wall, details the mage cannot even see.

That said, I don't believe you should be able to cast the Improved Invisibility illusion onto a wall in the first place - for reasons I outlined above.
mfb
that argument really doesn't mesh well with the existing magic rules.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (mfb)
that argument really doesn't mesh well with the existing magic rules.

How so?

Details and page quotes please, so I can look up and confirm, deny, debate, agree, whichever the case may be.
mfb
the magic rules simply don't say anything about drawing circles around anything. you don't need to be able to draw a circle around the target of your spell, you just need to be able to see some portion of it.
Endgame50
Line of sight is only discussed in the rules for spell targetting. So you need LOS to actually cast the spell on something, but sustaining it just requires you concentrate on the spell.
ShadowGhost
Thank you for clarifying - my example of drawing a circle around the wall was specifically aimed at the phrase:
Indirect illusion spells manipulate energy to create an illusionary image or sound or other sense-based effect, fooling the senses. They must be cast “around” a person, or over an area (Magic rating in meters) that is within the caster’s line of sight.

"Over an area" here could mean "plane", i.e. the surface of the wall, but since the wall is three-dimensional, I assume then the spell should "surround" the wall, meaning contain the wall entirely - but since the wall itself acts as a barrier to the spell, it would stop the spell.

This will be subject to endless debate I'm sure.

Since the spell would have to go through the wall, floors and ceiling, into areas you cannot possibly have LOS, I would think that it wouldn't work - it can't surround the wall.

So we're back to arguing if one can make a wall invisible.

I would argue that LOS means not only can you see an target, but wouldn't have to lose sight of it when walking around it. With a wall, that means being able to see both sides without losing sight of the wall. i.e casting it at a person, you could easily walk around them. Casting at a wall, you'd have to leave the room you're in to see the other side, and would lose sight of it as you go through a doorway, as Doorframes are constructed separately from walls.

Again, there needs to be a set of rules to follow for magic and buildings, much like there is for vehicles - i.e. you cannot target a part of a vehicle with a spell - you must target it in its entirety.
mfb
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
I would argue that LOS means not only can you see an target, but wouldn't have to lose sight of it when walking around it.

that's not really a valid definition of LOS. it fits neither the common useage of the phrase, nor the specific usage of the phrase in SR.

edit: in other news, i am the master of all time. according to the clock on this computer, i made this post after my post in the Pistols thread. according to dumpshock, i made it before. bow to my timeocity.
ShadowGhost
So - do you think a person should be able to make a wall invisible in the first place, mfb?

And do you think a mage should be able to cast combat spells at targets he "sees" through the Improved Invisibility illusion?
mfb
yes, maybe. yes, a mage can make a portion of a wall invisible, up to a maximum area defined by the usual rules for defining area effects. as for casting through invisible walls, i don't think the rules for how magical invisibility are well-defined enough to say for certain. i think the FAQ writers are going about the whole thing backwards--it seems like they're trying to define specific effects of the spell without first deciding exactly how the spell works, rather than laying down exactly how the spell achieves its effects and then adjudicating specific rules from there. as it stands, invisibility is a horrific mishmash of mind-affecting and reality-bending, with no clear definitions to draw logical conclusions from.
Endgame50
Shadow, invisibility isn't ruthenium. It's not reimaging what's behind it--it's making it so you can't perceive the wall. And if you can't perceive the wall, then you have LOS to what's behind it. Technically, yes, you can cast combat spells at people you can see due to the visual absense of the wall--just like you can look through glass and peg them...

But personally, I think it's a rather cheesy (but legal) way to do things.

I know I'm not mfb.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Xirces)
I think that everything that a person is carrying or wearing is made invisible at the time - the bigger question IMO is what happens to newly picked up objects or something you put down - "Has anyone seen my gun? I put it down over there..."

If i is still within the radius of the spell and was part of the subject the spell was cast on, objects you put down are still 'invisible'. Move away so that the object leaves the area effect of the spell, and it is now longer covered by the illusion - it's visible to all views.

Pick something up that was not part of the area of illusion when the spell was cast... it stays visible. Put it inside a backpack you were wearing when the spell was cast.... it's now covered by the illusion.

my humble opinion.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Endgame50)
Shadow, invisibility isn't ruthenium. It's not reimaging what's behind it--it's making it so you can't perceive the wall. And if you can't perceive the wall, then you have LOS to what's behind it. Technically, yes, you can cast combat spells at people you can see due to the visual absense of the wall--just like you can look through glass and peg them...

I know I'm not mfb.

Unless I'm forgetting, you are explicitly disallowed from using any magical means to achieve line of sight.
Endgame50
Sort of, but not quite right. The rules say spells which alter vision can't be used to target spells.

Invisibility is altering the visibility of an object, not your own visual sense.
[Edit: Or if you prefer, your ability to see it--which begins to get murky]

What I think is silly is using a spell to get lowlight won't let you target people in very low light conditions...
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Endgame50)

I know I'm not mfb.

The wall NEVER becomes invisible - it's an illusion. Everything you see through that "invisible" space is an illusion.

You do not see a target... you see an illusion of the target. i.e. a magical representation of a target.

Invisibilty spells (both types) are indirect illusions.

Indirect illusion spells manipulate energy to create an illusionary image or sound or other sense-based effect, fooling the senses. They must be cast “around” a person, or over an area (Magic rating in meters) that is within the caster’s line of sight. All indirect illusions are resisted by Intelligence.

They "fool the senses"... hence, when you look at something that has Improved Invisibility cast on it, you see an illusion... not what is really there, not what is really behind it - you see an illusion.

So when you cast your manabolt, you are casting it at an illusion of the target.... not the target itself.
Endgame50
Illusion is just a classification of spells. Spells that specifically create images are detailed as such. Invisibility makes it so you can't perceive something. I see where you're coming from--the mechanics of being able to see through invisibility are weird when it's supposed to only fool the mind. So I'll accept your explanation for invisibility. But let's move on to improved invisibility, which fools things with no minds--which implies it actually does make things invisible. What then?
ShadowGhost
For Improved Invisibility, I'll go with the simple answers.

Mana spells only work on living things (biological and spiritual/elemental).

Physical spells work on anything. So cameras can record physical illusions, which of course, includes the illusion of Improved Invisibility.

It really comes down to interpretation.... and there's two sides...

Improved Invisibility actually makes things invisible (i.e. not an illusion), so you can see through them and anything and everything is a valid, LOS target.

OR

Improved Invisibility is an visible illusion that something is 'not there' i.e. 'invisible', (i.e. you see the illusion that something isn't there) and everything you see "through" the illusion is an illusion itself; meaning things you see are not valid, LOS targets.

This is just another one of those things where we'd love a definite errata (not an FAQ) that clears up these questions.

On the other hand, I really *don't* want an SR3 rulebook that takes 6 pages of 'legalease' to clarify each and every single thing.
Endgame50
Maybe if they published a separate book to contain the legalese...
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Endgame50)

...and make it a free downloadble PDF biggrin.gif

And to try to simply a little further.... Does the Improved Invisibility illusion actually make the wall transparent, or is it just an illusion that the wall is transparent?

If it's the former, then LOS is established. If it's an illusion of transparency, then LOS does not exist - your target is an illusion.

Which raises another question... if you manabolt a sustained illusion.... is the illusion destroyed? biggrin.gif

<grin, duck and run>
Arethusa
QUOTE (Endgame50)

Maybe they should just write shit that isn't so goddamn vague, careless, and sloppily amphibolous to begin with. It ain't just the binding, the artwork, cheesy writing, and marketing keeping SR out of the big leagues with D20.
Endgame50
I appreciate the effort the FAQ folks are putting in, but it seems like trying to put a patch on the hull of the Titanic.

They should consider doing a serious rehaul of the ruleset and wording of this and that, but that would require a new edition, which they have no intention of doing.

[Edit: Removed a line. heh]
Xirces
On the contrary - the FAQ is the place to resolve all of these issues without ambiguity, but the "rulings" given generally seem inconsistent with either common sense, history or the descriptions in too many cases...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
And to try to simply a little further.... Does the Improved Invisibility illusion actually make the wall transparent, or is it just an illusion that the wall is transparent?

If it's the former, then LOS is established. If it's an illusion of transparency, then LOS does not exist - your target is an illusion.

It would have to be the later, unless it was a Manipulation version of Invisability.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (ShadowGhost @ Mar 3 2005, 04:49 PM)

It would have to be the later, unless it was a Manipulation version of Invisability.

Exactly what I was going to chime in with. Manipulation should be the only thing that makes matter turn into a transparent source so that a spell can be cast through it. "Turn to Glass" or some other such DnD-esque nonsense. Without Invisibility actually transforming the wall into a transparent material, there shouldn't be any way that a casting can take place through said wall.

Agreed that it is a bit ambiguous, but applying the definitions of the class of spell that it is helps.
fistandantilus4.0
Don't you have cover modifiers for people behind buildings and such for casting spells?
And you can't throw a mana ball at someone that is around the corner even if you know that they're there, right? why? As I understand it, it's because you have to synch the spell to the targets aura. So if you're trying to link to there aura, and you have an invisible wall infront of you, you still see the aura of the spell on the astral, right? SO wouldn't you not be able to see the aura of your target becaues you see the astral side of the invisibility spell instead?
Necro Tech
Think of it this way, astrally perceiving would screw you on this one. Invis doesn't work on the astral plane so you would still see the wall.

How's that for twisted?
fistandantilus4.0
exactly
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
As I understand it, it's because you have to synch the spell to the targets aura.

That may have been SR1 or SR2, but SR3 makes no mention of "synching auras" to cast spells.

It's purely line of sight (LOS) EXCEPT for elemental manipulation Area Effect spells, Detection Spells, and Touch Range Spells.

With the BALL variants of Elemental Manipulation, you do not need LOS - however, Blind Fire or Cover modifiers apply to the base TN of 4.

So if something is within the Area Effect of Elemental Manipulations Area Effect Spells, it's entirely possible to hit targets even if you don't even know they are there, much less can see them.

Other spells that don't require LOS are detection spells - they have specific tables for these TNs in SR3, and touch range spells - as touch replaces LOS.
BitBasher
All from SR3 pg 181:
Metahuman vision can enhance line of sight, but not spells like Clarivoyance or any other spells which alter vision.

Anything that modifies the original image of the target before it reaches the caster, such as digital imaging equipment or simsense, prevents the caster from casting spells on the target.

Now the examples in the second quote are technological, but the the statement itself is not exclusively technological. Removing the samples listed the statement says:

"Anything that modifies the original image of the target before it reaches the caster prevents the caster from casting spells on the target."

This does not limit itself to technological means, and the invis spell on the intervening wall, in addition to a spell that is altering the caster's vision in such a way making the wall transparent (remember, Illusions are not real, they are in the mind of the perciever), it also is altering the image of the target.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012