Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: limit on eye cyberware?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
GlassJaw
I'm working on a character in NSRCG and it says that eye cyberware cannot exceed 1.20 Essence. Is this an actual rule or something with NSRCG? If it is a rule, where is it located?
Backgammon
It's a rule. Don't know if it's in M&M or SR3 though.
Endgame50
M&M p 44
hahnsoo
Man and Machine, p 44

EDIT: D'oh, slightly slower on the draw.
torzzzzz
Is it dam......... don't have NSRCG (yet), was going to get more eye cyber, oh well i will have to get something else now. Any ideas for the ears, would have come in handy in the last game but i can't decide what i want. Quite tempted with Spatial Recognzer, anyone used it?

torz
Aes
My personal shopping list for cyber ears is (in order of importance) dampener, hearing amplifier, high frequency hearing and the recorder.

The dampener and a flare compensator for the eyes because it pretty much eliminates the effects of the flashbangs my GM loves to use.
The hearing amp is nice for eavesdropping.
High frequency hearing means you get cheaper ultrasound vision in the eyes. AND it helps you locate other ultrasound emitters, such as othe rpeople woth ultrasound vis or triggers for alarms.
And the recorder is always nice for capturing the meet with mr. Johnson on tape for blackmail if he tries to screw you over.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Aes)
High frequency hearing means you get cheaper ultrasound vision in the eyes. AND it helps you locate other ultrasound emitters, such as othe rpeople woth ultrasound vis or triggers for alarms.

I might have been told wrong but there are quite a few disadvantages to ultrasound vision?
something about the fact that it can be messed about with by magic?

torz
GlassJaw
My personal shopping list for cyber ears is (in order of importance)

What about an order of important for cybereyes (since there is a limit)?
hermit
I might have been told wrong but there are quite a few disadvantages to ultrasound vision?
something about the fact that it can be messed about with by magic?

It does have drawbacks, such as wind and loud sound diffusing the view, but it is in fact the only way to detect people using enhanced invisibility without having magic at your disposal. Nothing worth implanting, but an ultrasound scope mounted onto one of your secondary weapons (something like a HK227 or the Ingram Smartgun) surely comes in handy when dealing with physads with spellcasting abilities, and no mage is around.

Dunno if there're spells to confuse Ultrasound, too, though. Maybe in SOTA2064, which I don't own yet.
torzzzzz
Ah, thanks Hermit!

torz x
Garland
A Silence spell defeats ultrasound, maybe that's what we're talking about.

And the thermosense organ bioware is another way to detect invisible lurkers.
Endgame50
QUOTE (hermit)

Dunno if there're spells to confuse Ultrasound, too, though. Maybe in SOTA2064, which I don't own yet.

Any sound based spells (silence, stealth) can confuse ultrasound vision. In fact, if you're under either of the spells I mentioned, you're "invisible" to ultrasound vision.
hermit

And the thermosense organ bioware is another way to detect invisible lurkers.

Didn't enhanced invisibility affect infrared too? Basically, the thermosense bioware is nothing but an organic IR detector ... if it works with this, it should work with any dwarf or troll eye. *confused*

A Silence spell defeats ultrasound, maybe that's what we're talking about.

Ah yes, right. Works pretty much like invisibility for them.

Ultrasound is really handy when dealing with smoke grenades too, or in absolute darkness, by the way. Still, too much essence loss for the gains, in my opinion, and it's available as a scope too, so why shove it into your eyes?
Aes
QUOTE (GlassJaw)
My personal shopping list for cyber ears is (in order of importance)

What about an order of important for cybereyes (since there is a limit)?

That depends on the character build. But it's a safe bet they'll be packing an image link (both for viewing data through the datajack/chipjack/headware memory and rebates on a smartlink kit), either low-light or thermographic vision and flare compensators. (Again, because my PnP GM is a sadist whi lokes flash-paks and flashbangs).
Fortune
As far as I know, Ultrasound Vision does not grant LOS for spellcasting purposes.
Fortune
QUOTE (hermit)
Didn't enhanced invisibility affect infrared too? Basically, the thermosense bioware is nothing but an organic IR detector ... if it works with this, it should work with any dwarf or troll eye. *confused*

Invisibility (not even Improved) affect Thermographic vision. The Thermosense Organ os not vision, so is unaffected by Invisibility.
Sandoval Smith
Thermosense, M&M p 75. It defeats invisibilty spells because instead of allowing you to see anything (such as thermographic vision), it instead grants you an extreme sensitivity for feeling heat, such as that given off by (most) living things. You then get to make a perception test (the table for which is also on 75).
Endgame50
QUOTE (Fortune)
As far as I know, Ultrasound Vision does not grant LOS for spellcasting purposes.

Yeah. Afaik, it's because you're not seeing it--it's collecting sound and imaging it so you can see what it bounced off of--the imaging is another reason it's unusable for spells.
GlassJaw
That depends on the character build.

What about a B&E character?

Here's what I'm thinking of:

Flare Comp
Image Link
Low-Light
Microscopic
Rangefinder
Retinal Clock
Thermographic
Vision Mag 3 (Elec)
Aes
B&E? Lessee....

Cyber replacement (alpha. Which means everything installed has to be alpha too)
Image link
Low-light vis
Flare Compensation
Microscopic Vis
Protective covers
Camera
Retinal Duplication (as high as I could afford)
Rangefinder
Vision Magnification (electronic, 3)

All of that should fit into a pair of cybereyes. Retinal clock isn't really worth the essence. For an extra 1550 nuyen.gif you could get a math SPU [1] which comes with built-in stopwatch, alarm clock, chronometer and calculator at the same essence cost. If you have a router (which I'd strongly reccomend anyhow) you could always hook its timer/clock functions up with your image link.
Fortune
Get the Math SPU instead of the Retinal Clock. Same function, but with way more features.

Edit: As Aes pointed out. smile.gif
GlassJaw
B&E? Lessee....

So no Thermo? That's cool, just wondering why you would take Low-Light over Thermo.

tisoz
Because the majority of places you B&E into will not be in total darkness? Less use out of thermographic for B&E as compared to something like melee?
Aes
And IF the place is in total darkness, you can bring a *very* faint light with you. Just enough to provide ambient lighting fo ryour low-light vision to kick in. Anything that's supposed to guard a completely black room will have thermo or ultrasound vis anyhow, so it's not like you're giving it an advantage over you.
JaronK
Of course, if you go with low-light vision and eyelights, you can see virtually anything. I like microscopic vision, lowlight vision, eyelights, flare comp, image link, and ultrasound vision for my B&E types. That means I can see if there's someone invisible hanging out around me, and don't need to use a flashlight.

JaronK
torzzzzz

I know this has nothing to do with Eyes, but what is the deal with bone lacing?
Is it just a coating that go's on the bone or is it a compleat bone replacement?, is it worth getting as i understand that ceramic will not show up on scanners?
haven't got any books to hand at the moment!

torz
JaronK
Well, it's "lacing" which is not coating. I'd think of it as veins of a specific material running through the bones... so a person with titanium bone lacing would have titanium viens running through their bones, reenforcing them.

JaronK
Aes
QUOTE (JaronK)
Of course, if you go with low-light vision and eyelights, you can see virtually anything. I like microscopic vision, lowlight vision, eyelights, flare comp, image link, and ultrasound vision for my B&E types. That means I can see if there's someone invisible hanging out around me, and don't need to use a flashlight.

JaronK

But ultrasound vis. is muchly expensive essence-wise. And some clever bugger might've set his sensors to trigger if ultrasound bursts occur at frequencies they've been told to ignore.
JaronK
Well, I give them high frequency hearing so they'll notice other ultrasound. Sure, the essence is high, but a B&E character needs to be able to operate alone, which means not having a mage to tell them if there's someone invisible running around near them. The ability to fire off an IR smoke grenade and run away while still being able to see a bit helps too...

JaronK
torzzzzz
QUOTE (JaronK)
Well, I give them high frequency hearing so they'll notice other ultrasound. Sure, the essence is high, but a B&E character needs to be able to operate alone, which means not having a mage to tell them if there's someone invisible running around near them. The ability to fire off an IR smoke grenade and run away while still being able to see a bit helps too...

JaronK

The only problem with ultrasound is white noise, screws it up pretty bad. I don't know if there is anything you can get to counter act that??

torz x
hermit
Nope, white noise is radio waves, not sound. Otherwise, it'd be unbearable to have a strong WN generator running next to you.
GlassJaw
Nope, white noise is radio waves, not sound

Negative, white noise IS sound.

White noise and pink noise are similar in that they are essentially sounds composed of all frequencies. The difference is that white noise is every frequency at equal energy whereas pink noise is every octave at equal power. To the human ear, white noise sounds like it has more high frequency content.

it'd be unbearable to have a strong WN generator running next to you.

Well if you've ever had a strong WN generator running next to you, you'd know that it is pretty unbearable (or at least not comfortable).
golden1
QUOTE (hermit)
Nope, white noise is radio waves, not sound. Otherwise, it'd be unbearable to have a strong WN generator running next to you.

it is? then why is there a Penalty equal to the rating of the white noise generator on the visibility table in M&M?

a white noise generator is as good as Heavy IR smoke .. in some situations. which is why having lowlite, thermal AND Ultra sound vision isa good idea. on the other hand, having Lowlite, Eye-lights, and an ultrasound generator is a good idea. (and if you've ot cyer ears too.. put spacial recogniser and and ultrasound detector (or is it hi-range hearing?) .. which effectivly lets you split the essnce cost of Ultrasound vision across two bits of cyber.
GlassJaw
then why is there a Penalty equal to the rating of the white noise generator on the visibility table in M&M?

I don't know. Can you give me a page number?

a white noise generator is as good as Heavy IR smoke .. in some situations

Well to someone using Ultrasound vision maybe. White (or pink) noise is not "colored" at all. It doesn't affect sight. It just sounds like really abrasive static. You can probably find a white or pink noise generator file online somewhere. It's just every single frequency from 20-20,000k Hz played at the same time.

The description of the WNG generator on pg. 291 of the BBB is pretty accurate.
tisoz
M&M.49
GlassJaw
M&M.49

Exactly. Ultrasound Vision only.
Shockwave_IIc
I'm a bit of a Minimalist, but eyes for a B&E.

Natural Low lite.
Eyelights
Image link (for Smart link and Pocket Sec use)
Thermo
Flash Compensation, though i've rarely seen the need for it as most Gm's think that you have, thus don't bother... Though it is a dangerous game.
And Microscopic.

Camara, well considering the commoness of the Pocket Sec, that should be easy to keep on you.
Math SPU 1 is very usefull
Rangefinder isn't all that needed since you shouldn't be shooting much, and if you are you should have the time to aim.
Fortune
How do you get natural Low Light in Cybereyes? Or are you suggesting that people get that entire list implanted in normal eyes?
Shockwave_IIc
The list as RM's. Alpha it down and the essence cost wouldn't be that much. Besides, B&E arn't know to be short on Essence though you do tend to prefer as little Essence loss as posible
DocMortand
Saw the semi-debate on white noise and thought I'd chime in - Audio engineers use white noise in their setups when they go to a new auditorium. They pump the place filled with white noise and then use a special microphone (which is designed to have a flat response from 15 Hz to 30Khz.) to find out what frequencies the auditorium naturally amplify and reduce - then they flatten out the response using equalizers on the sound board.

[Edit] GlassJaw got the description for white noise and pink noise much more concise.

Doc
torzzzzz
Came up against wite noise in my last run, I was locked in a small room with the stuff blaring out constantly, had to do a hell of alot of willpower tests, anything you can do to limit it's effects?

torz ohplease.gif
GlassJaw
Audio engineers use white noise in their setups when they go to a new auditorium.

Actually, they use pink noise since pink noise is weighted to more closely resemble how we actually hear.
JaronK
Sound Engineer here: Either white or pink. It depends on what equipment you're using and what you're trying to do... if you want to find out where feedback starts, you'll want to use white, not pink.

White noise is most definitely sound. It's rather annoying, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people think. Then again, I have to work with it a bit, so maybe I'm just used to it.

JaronK
torzzzzz
QUOTE (JaronK)
Sound Engineer here: Either white or pink. It depends on what equipment you're using and what you're trying to do... if you want to find out where feedback starts, you'll want to use white, not pink.

White noise is most definitely sound. It's rather annoying, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people think. Then again, I have to work with it a bit, so maybe I'm just used to it.

JaronK

So whats the best way of beating it? Assuming you cant get to the source, i mean you could put up with it for a bit, but then what?

torz x
BitBasher
I don't understand what you're looking for. Earplugs. Sound Damper cyberware. Just ignore it. it doesnt hurt humans, just kind of sounds like loud static like a TV turned to a station that doesnt exist. It's not any more painful than any other sound at the same volume. There's nothing special about it.
torzzzzz
If you have Ultrasound Vision it is a problem wink.gif

torz
GlassJaw
It depends on what equipment you're using and what you're trying to do

If you are testing the frequency response of speakers you want pink.
JaronK
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
So whats the best way of beating it? Assuming you cant get to the source, i mean you could put up with it for a bit, but then what?

torz x

Realistically? Tune it out... it's not like it's that bad. It's not worse than any other kind of noise, really.

In shadowrun? Not sure. A sound filter might help, but then again, maybe not... since white noise effects all bands, you can't just filter out the white noise itself. You could filter out the low-mid sound and the ultra high sound, leaving only the area of the spectrum that deals with speach, which would help a bit, though you'd still have some problems.

JaronK
hahnsoo
The sounds that were afflicting torzzzzz's character may not have been simple white noise. It could have been ultrasound frequencies that cause nausea, dizziness, etc, thus the Willpower tests imposed by the GM. Regardless, I'd say a Select Sound Filter rating 5 would be good enough to block out most of the deleterious effects. And for Cyberears, you could probably just shut it off, although the Ultrasound tends to affect the inner ear (which isn't replaced by cyberears, unless you have a balance augmenter) and cranial nerve rather than the external ear.
Fortune
Or just turn off your Ultrasound Vision if that is what is causing the trouble with the White Noise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012