Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tourcher or mind probe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
Tourcher or mind probe, witch would you prefer to reseve

Personally I find it strange that games with a defend moral stance (D&D) list torcher as always evil but mind affecting magic as not.

I for one (and I say this out of character) would prefer to be tortured than have somebody read my mind, haven forbid they should try to control it. And call it bad RP if you will but that opinion goes into every character I play.

I am curious to know what others think of this.

Edward
Dawnshadow
Ack.. think I put those in the reverse order..

Mind Probe doesn't bother me. People want to read my mind, they're welcome to it.
Mental Compulsion, that bothers me, but not as much as people would think.
Torture just disturbs me. It's needlessly cruel, brutal, and destructive to the mind, body and soul.

Mental Compulsion may be a form of torture, of course, if you're being manipulated like a puppet and forced to do things that you're fundamentally opposed to (ie/kill your lover)

Then again, I'm very much pagan, and am quite comfortable with the idea of telepathy and mind-reading, just as a natural talent for people. It doesn't bother me any more than people who can read what I'm thinking/feeling just by looking at me.
PBTHHHHT
Sorry to be nitpicky, but it's 'torture', not 'torcher'. Though torching someone would be a form of torture too...
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Sorry to be nitpicky, but it's 'torture', not 'torcher'. Though torching someone would be a form of torture too...

You'll get used to Edward's posts. He uses the spell checker and doesn't know how to pick the actual words he means to use. The headache from reading them goes away after about half an hour.
Sharaloth
Ah terrible spelling, a form of torture in and of itself.

Now, personally I weigh in on Mental Compulsion being the worst, Torture second, and Mind Probe a poor runner up. The mind probe can be fooled, the torture can be endured, but losing the ability to control yourself? That's just creepy.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Mar 4 2005, 12:02 PM)
Sorry to be nitpicky, but it's 'torture', not 'torcher'.  Though torching someone would be a form of torture too...

You'll get used to Edward's posts. He uses the spell checker and doesn't know how to pick the actual words he means to use. The headache from reading them goes away after about half an hour.

A half hour you say? What if it lasts longer? Mine seems to be going for as long as I keep this window open.
Drain Brain
Take two hits of the "Back" button, with water, and call me in the morning... wink.gif
ShadowGhost
I'd prefer Mind Probe and Compulsion first - easier to resist if you don't have stun and physical damage adding wound modifiers to resisting spells biggrin.gif
torzzzzz
I prefer torture .... but thats what my character would do, DAM those flaws! grinbig.gif

torz
DocMortand
After what my players do to my poor, poor NPCs, I prefer torture over Mind Control.

*snif* *snicker*

Granted, I think my players prefer that as well, since I've done the same to them...
nezumi
And reseve is 'receive', right?

So what would you prefer to undergo:
Mind probe,
Control actions,
Torture.

Hrmm... Depends on the nitty gritty. I mean if they did control actions and made me dance the funky chicken, that'd be okay. But if they did control actions and made me torture myself, that would suck.
Kagetenshi
Depends on the stats involved and the question of whether or not it would automatically succeed. If they're going to do all of these that they need to to get the info I'd prefer they just start and end with Mindprobe, but torture is the one that I'd be more personally confident of resisting (that is to say, holding out until I start telling them what I think they want to hear I had for breakfast this morning).

~J
Jrayjoker
Trick 'em, Hurt 'em, Brainf*ck 'em. In that order.

My reasons are my own, Mua Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaa.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Mar 4 2005, 12:02 PM)
Sorry to be nitpicky, but it's 'torture', not 'torcher'.  Though torching someone would be a form of torture too...

Boy that stuff, bad typing, makes me mad.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Mind Probe doesn't bother me. People want to read my mind, they're welcome to it...
Then again, I'm very much pagan, and am quite comfortable with the idea of telepathy and mind-reading, just as a natural talent for people. It doesn't bother me any more than people who can read what I'm thinking/feeling just by looking at me.

Even being a wiccan, I don't want my mind read, but that is the one that does the least damage. You're still violated but it doesn't leave marks or risk doing perimant damage
Crimson Jack
Being probed (in any way) does not sound fun to me, nor does torture. Null vote. nyahnyah.gif
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Mar 4 2005, 11:48 AM)
Mind Probe doesn't bother me. People want to read my mind, they're welcome to it...

Even being a wiccan, I don't want my mind read, but that is the one that does the least damage. You're still violated but it doesn't leave marks or risk doing perimant damage

I didn't actually mean it as I'm pagan so I'm comfortable with my mind being read, so much as I'm pagan, believe that telepathy and mindreading exist.

I personally am comfortable with it, but that's not because I'm pagan... more because there are people who pretty much always seem to be reading my mind, and can't help it, so there's no point in letting it bother me anymore.
Edward
I also believe telepathy and mind reading exist, and I have spent 2 years trying to change that from believe to know.

Telepathy I don’t have much of a problem with, even noticing what I am thinking on the surface. What would bother me is going in and shuffling threw (4 successes on a mind probe spell).

And I would prefer bamboo under my fingernails than a control thoughts spell “you want to get up and dance the funky chicken” its not about what they make me do, its about having the choice.

Edward
hahnsoo
Meh. Control Thoughts can't be worse than the usual emotional blackmail that goes on in most relationships. As for Telepathy:
Skinner: [thinking] I know you can read my thoughts, Bart.  Just a little reminder: if I found out you cut class, your ass is mine.  Yes, you heard me.  I _think_ words I would never say.
Homer: [thinking] I know you can read _my_ thoughts, boy.  [singing]Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow...

-The Boy Who Knew Too Much, 1F19
Critias
Just imagine someone controlling your mind and making you shove that bamboo under your own fingernails. Creepy stuff. Torture's a close second, though -- and a fairly harmless mind reading is a distant third. Yeah, yeah, privacy's been violated or whatever (but only privacy) and that's crappy... but, hey, at least no one's slicing off my eyelids with a box cutter (or, again, making me do it to myself).

All things considered, I wouldn't mind a mind probe much at all.
Fortune
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)

Droll! Very droll! wink.gif biggrin.gif
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Edward)
I also believe telepathy and mind reading exist, and I have spent 2 years trying to change that from believe to know.

Telepathy I don’t have much of a problem with, even noticing what I am thinking on the surface. What would bother me is going in and shuffling threw (4 successes on a mind probe spell).

Been there, done that.

At least, as far as empirical evidence goes. I'm not kidding when I say people have read me. They've, on occassion, pulled out some pretty tiny details.

Now.. the control thoughts.. well.. that's a LOT like hypnosis. Not as restricted though (the 'you can't be hypnotised into doing something you aren't partial to'). I think the big reason it's not worse then torture for me, is that it's like hypnosis.. and nobody's ever been able to hypnotise me
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
[...] nobody's ever been able to hypnotise me

I think you'll find that goes for an overwhelming majority of humans...
Dawnshadow
Never looked up the statistics to be honest. I just know that I couldn't when people tried.
hermit
what would I prefer? Mind probe. It is fast, won't dmaage my body, and above all, it's reliable, and cannot be resisted, so I'll be through the whole interrogation fast, and there'll be no point in additional torture to make sure I actually said the truth.

On the interrogator side ... also mind probe. It's reliable, unlike torture, which often gives you bad results because the interrogated will say just about anything to make the pain stop.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Edward)

Man, as much as I try to think of the brick wall, whenever my girlfriend asks me, "does my butt look too big?"... she can always read my mind.

Mind reading does exist. grinbig.gif
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 4 2005, 10:19 PM)

Man, as much as I try to think of the brick wall, whenever my girlfriend asks me, "does my butt look too big?"... she can always read my mind.

Mind reading does exist. grinbig.gif

The trick with that one is to make sure you believe that as long as its Her's, it looks just right wink.gif

Now, the serious problem is if she asks about some other woman's.. and not because of your answer, but BECAUSE you answered..
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 5 2005, 03:15 PM)

Droll! Very droll! wink.gif biggrin.gif

I'm glad someone could appreciate that.
toturi
I always thought that Mental Compulsion as including things like Etiquette, Negotiations, etc. You know, the gentler social skills things. Those things that make you feel good while divulging your innermost secrets.
Rajaat99
Where's torture, torture, torture? That's the way I do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012