Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Did Big D Have To Go?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Everyone's Chummer
Oi, Chummers...

I was just paging through Dunklezahn's Will, the annoted version and that along with other source materials have so many different theories...

I think my brain is going to run out of my nose and ears respectively...

Does anyone out there really know what happened? Fine! I admit the curiosity is eating me from the inside...

Please, someone! EXPLAIN! wobble.gif
Dog
Read the Dragonheart novels.
Sandoval Smith
[ Spoiler ]
Everyone's Chummer
Thanks, Smithy...

Now I dont have to go read the DragonHeart Novels.
So, how the frag did the horrors manage to gain access to our world en-masse?
Tanka
Well, there's the "when the mana level gets high enough they can come bounding through of their own volition" bit.

However, being able to come early is because of the Great Ghost Dance. It created a spike in the mana at certain points, thusly giving them a bit less time to wait for the mana level to get high enough before they can come into our world.
Dog
You don't "have" to read them?
That's like "Thanks for the karma, Mr. GM now I don't have to play Shadowrun."
Sandoval Smith
They don't have access to our world en masse. They had some nasty planes involvling the mana spike made by the GGD, and some other things to try and sneak over early, but those were defeated by various means. There are hints that a few of the powerful ones are already able to try and reach across and affect things, while minor (supposed) Horros like Wraiths are already in existance.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Dog)
You don't "have" to read them?
That's like "Thanks for the karma, Mr. GM now I don't have to play Shadowrun."

Considering the fact that many of the people on here have groaned over a lot of the novels, and namely this one in particular, I don't think it's out of line to decline reading it and just ask what happened. I have no inclination to read the novels either. There are few that pique my interest, to begin with, and fewer yet that come with recommendation.
Fortune
I like the World, so I enjoyed most of the novels despite some of them having shortcomings.
Moonstone Spider
So, does anybody have a reasonable explanation for how the GGD could possibly have RAISED the mana level? Logic would dictate that using up magic in a spectacular way would reduce the amount of mana by consuming it and turning it into something else. Lest ye think magic doesn't work that way, remember that Mana can be Exhausted by FAB eating it all so it is a finite source of energy.

Yes, I do expect real-life physics to influence my games. I'm stupid that way.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Considering the fact that many of the people on here have groaned over a lot of the novels, and namely this one in particular, I don't think it's out of line to decline reading it and just ask what happened. I have no inclination to read the novels either. There are few that pique my interest, to begin with, and fewer yet that come with recommendation.

I think the intimation was that getting the knowledge without reading the novels is like getting Karma without playing Shadowrun; namely, that you're missing the enjoyable part. This is up for debate, but I don't think you were being chastised.

~J
Crimson Jack
I read it more like the way the music snobbery bit goes down in High Fidelity. Vhatever.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
So, does anybody have a reasonable explanation for how the GGD could possibly have RAISED the mana level?

The Great Ghost Dance didn't raise the mana level of the world (as far as is known, there's a couple of theories); but as the most potent magical ritual (involving hundreds of participants and dozens of deaths, possibly on a powerful mana site) yet to have occurred, the site where the Great Ghost Dance was enacted is (or at least, was) the most powerful site on the planet, with a mana level far in excess of normal.

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Logic would dictate that using up magic in a spectacular way would reduce the amount of mana by consuming it and turning it into something else.  Lest ye think magic doesn't work that way, remember that Mana can be Exhausted by FAB eating it all so it is a finite source of energy.

You're logic is a bit linear. Mana isn't coal, to be consumed and turned into heat energy, ash, and gases. The energy of astral space (not to mention the metaplanes) is (apparently) effectively infinite. Typical acts of magic don't "drain" astral space, but unusual, powerful, and repeated magical or emotional acts can have an impact on the local astral landscape, cuasing weird phenomenon.

For example, the Strain III latches onto background count: higher levels of mana that have developed in an area, like Chicago, which has seen a lot of magical activity. The Strain III drains mana to to fuel it's own growth; it does so and creates commensurate "low mana" area...which only lasts temporairily as the normal flow of mana builds the background count back up to what it was previously.

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Yes, I do expect real-life physics to influence my games.  I'm stupid that way.

Nothing wrong with that. The old Physics axiom that energy is neither created or destroyed still holds true. It's jsut a bit more complicated...and like in real-life physics, no one really knows what the Hell is going on. nyahnyah.gif
hermit
Well, Shadowrun's novels ... *sighs*

The first few novels were fun, and especially Nigel Findley's can be recommended (the Secrets of Power triology too, though it already has some parts that are a bit too epic for the whole cyberpunk feel). The series has more high points - the early Marc Gascoigne novels are decent, The Changeling is excellent - best SR novel written, ever, in my opinion, and even Nyx Smith's early striper novels are fun, though the shifter is a bit overestimated there.

But with (and after) the dragonheart triology, which was WAY uber, lost all the cyberpunk feel, and introduced Supers-like characters, which I at least really don't appreciate, it was ... well, it changed for the worse.

Generally speaking, Shadowrun's novels have lost the original idea, and since I started early with the game and am generally more fond of "little" stories than of world-changing comic-esque superhero stories, they have nothing to offer to me any more. I stopped buying them with the dragonheart books.

Of course, this may have changed ... like I said, I haven't bought a SR novel in years. They may have turned away from that style again; if so, someone please tell me. smile.gif
Club
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 6 2005, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
So, does anybody have a reasonable explanation for how the GGD could possibly have RAISED the mana level?

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Yes, I do expect real-life physics to influence my games.  I'm stupid that way.

Nothing wrong with that. The old Physics axiom that energy is neither created or destroyed still holds true. It's jsut a bit more complicated...and like in real-life physics, no one really knows what the Hell is going on. nyahnyah.gif

The version I understand is the Shaman who died; that's blood / sacrificial magic. Blood magic raises the mana level / backgroud count as the poor SOB's soul is converted into whatever.

And in Harley's back, the site of the GGD is a spot in the metaplanes. Hence how it is accessed from Azlan (Beyond the pale).

There is some stuff about the GGD in worlds without end.

Edit: and I don't think Shadowrun has had any new novels produced sinse fanpro took over
akarenti
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Nothing wrong with that. The old Physics axiom that energy is neither created or destroyed still holds true. It's jsut a bit more complicated...and like in real-life physics, no one really knows what the Hell is going on. 

Actually the First Law of Thermodynamics only applies to normal chemical and kenetic reactions. Not always the (empyrical) case in nuclear reactions (E doesn't always exactly equal MC^2; scientists theorize what the excess energy is converted into a non-measurable form of energy to fulfill the First Law). But if you can't measure it, you can't prove the law applies.

I have to say I'm not big on series literature at all. Usually novels with a giant trademarked logo appearing 3x the size of the book's actually title fail to impress me. Of course, I think the last time I read an actual novel was like 8 years ago. . .
torzzzzz
I haven't read any of the SR novels as i am reluctant to see someones views on the whole SR world, however if it tells of the history could anyone recommend any??

torz x
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (akarenti)
Usually novels with a giant trademarked logo appearing 3x the size of the book's actually title fail to impress me.

Yes, that is rather lame.
Grinder
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
I haven't read any of the SR novels as i am reluctant to see someones views on the whole SR world, however if it tells of the history could anyone recommend any??

torz x

A lot of novels cover some kind of SR-history. Bug City comes to my mind, dealing with the bug invasion of chicago. Or the mentioned Dragonhear-trilogy, where Dunkie dies and the horrors are stopped.

The earlier novels giv imo a good view of the SR-world, but the newer one simply suck.
hahnsoo
It should be mentioned that...
[ Spoiler ]
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Grinder)
Bug City comes to my mind, dealing with the bug invasion of chicago. Or the mentioned Dragonhear-trilogy, where Dunkie dies and the horrors are stopped.

The earlier novels giv imo a good view of the SR-world, but the newer one simply suck.

"Burning Bright" is the novel about Bug City, and it is definitely worth a read. The Dragonheart Trilogy is on the "uber" end of things, but you get a lot of secret background information about Roxborough, some bits of Echo Mirage, and the real story behind the Dunkelzahn "assassination". "Worlds Without End" gives background information about Aina Dupree and Harlequin in particular, and the Horrors in general. "Psychotrope" deals with the Mirage AI and otaku (indirectly).
hermit
and I don't think Shadowrun has had any new novels produced sinse fanpro took over

Nope, there're LOTS, at least in German.
Club
Until they translate them into something I can understand, doesn't count.

How are they, for those of you who can read German?

Edit: Hey, I've evolved!

Adam
QUOTE (Club)
Edit: and I don't think Shadowrun has had any new novels produced sinse fanpro took over

WizKids has the English-language novel rights -- it's not like FanPro has the rights and isn't doing anything with them.
Endgame50
I think the site said they're going to be publishing some novels to go with Shadowrun Duels... erm... Yay?
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Endgame50)
I think the site said they're going to be publishing some novels to go with Shadowrun Duels... erm... Yay?

"...and then Street Deacon swapped out a hand and HMG from his base, while his player scored a hit on Silver Max's drone. Silver Max was knocked back and landed against the over-sized couch in the living room."
Sandoval Smith
Referring to Moonstone Spider's post, the GGD created a literal 'mana spike' (you actually get to see it in 'Harlequinn's Back'), with the Horrors far off in the distance working hard to build a 'bridge' so that they could reach the spike, and start pouring into our world (this whole sequence took place on some sort of meteplane, where the mana level was an actual physical manifestation. As the mana level grows, the chasm seperating us from them gets smaller).
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Club @ Mar 6 2005, 03:10 PM)

WizKids has the English-language novel rights -- it's not like FanPro has the rights and isn't doing anything with them.

Did FanPro not try to license those rights, or did WizKids not license them for their own reasons (if you know)?

~J
Cynic project
Big D died, because he was aplot device,and with him dying they could stop a whole bunch of bad plot ideas and start a whole lot of good ones. They could pretty much stop most if not all the Aztlan is the devil plot line,they could stop most of the earth dawn cross over plot lines, and they could start the Corp war,make three AAA's, and totally make it hip to be Orkish. These are good things.

But Big D, started out as a plot device,and ended as one. He happened to be fun,and cool. He happened to be an enjoy character, but in the end, your runners should have never really even acted on the same playing feild as him.
Halabis
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Big D died, because he was aplot device,and with him dying they could stop a whole bunch of bad plot ideas and start a whole lot of good ones.

What he meant by that is stop a whole bunch of good plot lines and replace them with mediocre ones.
Mortax
Um, I don't think D's death ended the earthdawn crossover, or shifted away the evil azzies thing.

For one thing, if you look in SOTA 2064 they are bringing back thread magic. (Wicca section) Also, physads are turning more and more into the adepts from earthdawn. Also, there are a higher percentige of adepts every year.

Also, the foeve ect are still a problem in azzy land.

The dragons are still around, along with the IEs running the Tirs.
With all of this, I don't think you could ever completly eliminate earthdawn.

I also don't see the earthdawn crossovers as a bad thing. They added some extra flavor, and made it so that you could play just a group of runners, or a group of runners involved in something big. (they may or may not know this.)

Course, tis just one persons opinion, I could be wrong. smile.gif
DrJest
Agree @Mortax. You didn't have to have any of the metaplot in your games if you didn't want to. It's like SLA Industries; if you didn't like The Truth (and a lot of people didn't) then there was no need to use it in the game, since the existence of The Truth altered nothing in the day to day lives of the citizens. Similarly, the fact that ED and SR share the same universe, that unspeakable Horrors twitter away just outside our dimension, and that GD's and IE's move people and corps around like pawns on a chessboard only impacts the lives of the runners directly if the GM lets it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012