Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Superhuman Stories
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Siege
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Siege @ Sep 28 2003, 03:48 PM)
Sure, if you know how it works in real life.

Not everyone has experience scuba diving, casting spells or running like a SEAL on steroids.

-Siege

biggrin.gif

Even so, your BS detector doesn't go off when a troll says;

"I'm gonna grab that chihuahua's (sp?) ears and ride it out of this fire fight. As fast as he can carry me."

"Ok, roll it, target number 85"

"Hmm got a 90... so I do pretty good, right?"

???

Because a troll trying to ride a tiny dog doesn't require specialized or specific knowledge. It does require a certain amount of common sense that just about everyone possesses.

I know what "the bends" are, but I have no idea as to the specifics because I don't scuba dive.

Without knowing the background of the original poster for tangent, I'm going to assume he(?) doesn't scuba dive either. Presumably, neither does his GM.

The point is --> your BS meter is more finely attuned to some things based on your knowledge and personal experience.

-Siege
TinkerGnome
For SR I just count myself lucky since my BS meter is specificly tuned to intrusion and facility protection issues smile.gif

When it comes to thinks like magic, quantum physics, etc, I have to resort to hand waving and "it sounds good"-ology. Of course, most of us are like that.
Rev
Actually the bends would not be a problem in that situation (as I am guessing the situation was).

Submarines maintain normal pressure inside of them and because the person has no diving gear they are not breathing when out of the sub therefore there was no nitrogen buildup in the bloodstream during the ascent. (Unless it was an ambient pressure submarine, which would be really wierd at 120m)

The most unbeleivable parts are managing to ascend 120m before drowning (unless full of applicable cyberware) and getting out of the submarine. Opening a hatch with ~12 atmospheres of pressure on the other side isnt a very good idea. Just having the pressure change that fast is probably enough to collapse your lungs not to mention slamming you out of the way. But maybe the sub had a special escape hatch that slowed down the pressure change.

PS I did learn to scuba dive some years ago smile.gif
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Rev @ Sep 29 2003, 06:40 PM)
Actually the bends would not be a problem in that situation (as I am guessing the situation was).

<snip>

Even if he had exhaled before he left the sub, he would still have nitrogen in his blood, unless he was dead. The nitrogen *would* form into bubbles, afaik. I'm no expert on the subject, but that's my 2 nuyen.gif smile.gif

But maybe the sub had a special escape hatch that slowed down the pressure change.
Or maybe he got out through the torpedo tube, james bond style.

I know what "the bends" are, but I have no idea as to the specifics because I don't scuba dive.

Without knowing the background of the original poster for tangent, I'm going to assume he(?) doesn't scuba dive either. Presumably, neither does his GM.

The point is --> your BS meter is more finely attuned to some things based on your knowledge and personal experience.
Siege, point taken.

I'd like to agree with you though, on the importance of common sense. Like you said, you know what "the bends" are, and you might be suspicious that something like that would be possible. All I'm saying is I have to roll my eyes when people post about unaided, non-cybered/bioed, mundane, humans defying the laws of nature. (and this character might have been cybered/bioed and magically aided like a pimp, I don't know)

Then again, some laws were meant to be broken.
After all, there is no spoon.
Rev
Even if he had exhaled before he left the sub, he would still have nitrogen in his blood, unless he was dead. The nitrogen *would* form into bubbles, afaik. I'm no expert on the subject, but that's my 2 

Nope.

There is nitrogen dissolved in your blood right now, do you have the bends? No.

The reason for this is that that amount of nitrogen in your blood is solulable in blood at whatever pressure you are at (thats how it got there, by dissolving). In a submarine, which is kept at 1 atmosphere of pressure, there is just the same amount of nitrogen in a persons blood as there would be if they were at the surface. If a person is in a pressurised environment, breathing a nitrogen mixture more nitrogen will dissolve into thier blood. If a person is in a pressurized environment, but they are not breathing (the situation described in the sub escape) there is only the nitrogen in thier lungs to dissolve into the blood, which is not very much. If a person is only in this pressurized environment for a couple of minutes (while swimming to the surface) they might even be able to breath a bit before a significant amount of nitrogen entered the bloodstream, however that is just a guess. When the person who was not breathing when exposed to the pressurized environment reaches the surface they will still have the same amount of nitrogen in thier blood that is solulable at 1 atmosphere, hence no bends.

The current free diving record (surface, to bottom & back without breathing) is around 400 feet. Thats 12 atmospheres at the bottom, but there is no bends because they aren't breathing at depth.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Rev)
<snip>

When you're right, you're right.
AnotherFreakBoy
Even so, wouldn't there be probelms with ear drums bursting, and presumably there are some other body parts that are susceptable to pressure changes?
Rev
You might learn that some of your cyberware contains air pockets, as it implodes. smile.gif
SugarDog
Your ears might implode when changing from 1 atm to 12 atm (actually, 13 at 120m) if you did not equalize quickly enough, but unless you were really congested, they would not explode on ascent.

Your cyberware, however, might make you negatively-buoyant...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012