Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Roads of Europe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BishopMcQ
Speaking as the American in France, I stared in horror and complete befuddlement when I was expected to pay for the privilege of driving on a public highway. (CA has its share of toll roads but nothing nearly to the expanse of France.)

My question is how does the rest of Europe compare? Particularly Spain and Italy...

Also a quick nod to the Shadows of Europe team, I've said it before, but you guys did an excellent job. I feel the flow from past to future and love how you were able to root a lot of material in the history of Europe. I only hope that SoA does the same.
Snow_Fox
I've been in England a lot and never saw a toll road there.
Fortune
There are a ton of toll roads in the States. How could you miss them?
Prospero
I'm am American who lived in Europe for 3 years (specifically Ireland and then Hungary) - I didn't hit a lot of toll roads, though. I heard they're horrendous in France, but other places either weren't bad or were easily navigable around. In Hungary, the big, new, fast highways were a little expensive but not prohibitivly. And it was easy to go around them, it just took longer as you had to go through every little village on the way. In German, Austria and Germany, everything was nice - the autobahn kicks ass (or should I say arse).
BishopMcQ
Fortune--True, but it's possible to drive from one city to another without stopping 5 times to pay a toll.

I drove from Paris to Grenoble and had to pay repeatedly...
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)

That would be because our very first stretch of toll motorway, the M6 Toll, only opened a year or so ago.
SuperSpy
QUOTE (McQuillan)
True, but it's possible to drive from one city to another without stopping 5 times to pay a toll.

In California, no. On the east coast, yes.

I was recently in England and Ireland, but they've already been mentioned. I don't remember any toll-booths in Germany, Austria or Switzerland, but it's been 14 years since I've been there.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (SuperSpy @ Mar 8 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Mar 8 2005, 10:31 PM)
True, but it's possible to drive from one city to another without stopping 5 times to pay a toll.

Unless you drive down I-40, the 15 and the 10 from the AZ border into Los Angeles. Or through any of the cities in LAC. Or L.A. to San Diego. Or...

Well, you get the idea.
SuperSpy
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Unless you drive down I-40, the 15 and the 10 from the AZ border into Los Angeles. Or through any of the cities in LAC. Or L.A. to San Diego. Or...

Did this happen in the last few years? I never had to pay a toll once when I lived in LA.

I guess it's happening all over now. We're about to get our first toll road in the Twin Cities.

My guess is that by 2060 all the toll-booths will be gone even if the toll roads still exist. They'll just track your vehicle through the Grid system and charge your credstick automatically.
otaku mike
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Speaking as the American in France, I stared in horror and complete befuddlement when I was expected to pay for the privilege of driving on a public highway.

Actually, they're not completely public. Most were built by private contractors who got a loooong lease on it in exchange for a reduced bill to the state. So, in effect, most are private or semi-private. Not that it would change anything. I'm quite sure that when the lease ends, the booth will stay and the money will go to the state...
otaku mike
To be more on a SR topic and avoid thread closure, the SR equivalent of those highways are the EuroRoutes. Expect them to be very fast and efficient, and expensive. And as you can see on the map, they cross all over Europe.
Crimsondude 2.0
Please, go on. This will only take a second.
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 8 2005, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE (SuperSpy @ Mar 8 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Mar 8 2005, 10:31 PM)

Well, you get the idea.

This is how I read your post:

It is NOT possible to drive from one city to another IN CALIFORNIA without stopping 5 times to pay a toll.

My response was: Yes, it is.

Perhaps my grammar is incorrect, but I like to think I know the difference between a positive and negative verb.
Prospero
QUOTE (otaku mike)
To be more on a SR topic and avoid thread closure, the SR equivalent of those highways are the EuroRoutes. Expect them to be very fast and efficient, and expensive. And as you can see on the map, they cross all over Europe.

In the Hungary SB, the biggest AA in Hungary is the Central European Highway Corporation (the name's in English in the book) which administers the system of highways around Hungary. They have security to enforce their policies and kick butt if necessary (against go-gangs and bandits, etc). Everybody pays tolls to use said roads.
Fortune
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Perhaps my grammar is incorrect, but I like to think I know the difference between a positive and negative verb.

I think it was meant the opposite way, since the East Coast is chock-full of toll roads.
SuperSpy
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

Your grammar is perfect, I was getting it wrong. Sorry. I would edit my post, but then it would make all these posts look silly.

So, as to what I said earlier: strike that, reverse that. There are not many toll booths in CA (if any?), but there are many of them on the East Coast. That is what I meant.
Fortune
In Cal Free, they have those crazy Ranger-Rigger dudes. Pay up, or eat a missile. Doesn't seem cost-effective, but it's a good abject lesson. biggrin.gif
Prospero
QUOTE (Fortune)
In Cal Free, they have those crazy Ranger-Rigger dudes. Pay up, or eat a missile. Doesn't seem cost-effective, but it's a good abject lesson. biggrin.gif

It'd be cost effective after word got around. No one would want to make themselves the target of the next missle.
Fortune
Which is where the 'abject lesson' part comes in. wink.gif
SuperSpy
This has given me an idea for a character who could make some easy money on the side: Make a troll with a maxed out body attribute. When he's not running he goes out and stands in heavy-trafficed roads during rush hour, blocking the commuters until they pay him off.

Street name: Troll Booth.
Bossemanden
Then you are bloody well asking the GM to introduce said Troll to the loving affections of a 40 ton truck at speed.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)

Erm there are a few,

M6 Toll road

and the severn bridge, and a few in scotland, not many though!

torz x wink.gif
hermit
Nowadays: France has the highest tarrifs in Europe. If in France, don't use the highways (autoroute), go for the interstates (route nationale) instead. Most of those are built like a highway, too, and best, they're free of charge. Sometimes, there's no way around using a highway, but get off of them as soon as you can.
Austria and Switzerland have pretty stiff tariffs too. Especially Switzerland, which requires you to buy a year's vignette even if you only so breifly cross onto teir highways (price is around 50 Euros, I think). Germany so far is free of charge, unless you're a truck driver. Italy and Spain also have tolled highways, but those are somewhat more affordable than France's.

In Shadowrun, I would expect the Euroroutes to cost like highways in France. Not only do the owners have to pay for road maintainance (the need for which, due to free earth elementals and spirits and whatnot, should have increased significantly), but they also have to pay for the highways to be kept free of hoodlums and critters of al kinds. Plus I'd expect the highway patrol to be armed to the teeth, maybe even see the national armies - or special militias, like in the ADL - patrol the highways.
mintcar
Agree. The way it is in France should propably be concidered a pointer to how it will be everywere if the future becomes anywere near Shadowrun´s collaps of nation states in favour of corporations (in the case of road tarif´s, I don´t know about other things).

With all due respect, there are very few things that can be concidered common to all european countries. We are a diverse bunch.
Aes
It depends on the country. France is bad, yes. And I beleive Italy has some too. There aren't any in Denmark, barring if you're planning to cross the Storebelt or Øresund bridges and I can't say I've encountered any in Norway or Sweden either. There may be some cleverly hidden away in Germany, but again I've never encountered any there. There are a few in eastern Europe too.
Daegann
> Yes, highway price is high in France. But there is some part of highway wich is free. Of course it's only for some kilometers but for example you can go to Paris by highway from almost all the parisian region for free. There are also some (but I can't say "most of them") interstate which look like highway. It's sure, if you use highway you gain time and it's more simple to find your way, but you can go anywhere without highway.
Note that initially, the french highway are build to be free. The price is just to save the construction price. But of course when people usually pays to use it, with the time, it's usual and so nobody say nothing... then why spend money with free highway since people already pay to use them ? :-/

This is for nowaday. In shadowrun, with all the corporation I think it's pretty the same for the price. And also add technology for surveillance. When there are speed limit on highway, you can find more radar than today. Maybe police helicopter is remplaced by drone, etc.

Talking about speed limit, this and other rules should be diferent for each country in europe. For the example of the speed limit, in germany there are no speed limit on highway today, but in france it's limited to 130 Km/h. In SR, driving rules should have also big differences in europe.
> Daegann
DrJest
As far as I know, the M6 is the only toll road we have. We have several toll bridges or tunnels (Severn Bridge, Forth Bridge, the one in Bristol whose name escapes me, etc).

As time goes by, however, I anticipate tolling in some fashion. There was a proposal... what was it, two years ago? for a black box to replace standard road tax. The idea was that you paid for what you used, with higher rates for using motorways or inner city roads. I think it got slapped down in a storm of "invasion of privacy" anger. It failed now, but imagine that same proposal under the Lord Protector's jurisdiction.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DrJest)
As far as I know, the M6 is the only toll road we have.

Was that the road featured on the front cover of Good Omens?
DrJest
Can't find my copy of that, but I'd guess no - that would probably be the M25 (aka, "The World's Biggest Car Park") which Crowley was responsible for making look like a satanic rune L)
torzzzzz
QUOTE (DrJest)
As far as I know, the M6 is the only toll road we have. We have several toll bridges or tunnels (Severn Bridge, Forth Bridge, the one in Bristol whose name escapes me, etc).

As time goes by, however, I anticipate tolling in some fashion. There was a proposal... what was it, two years ago? for a black box to replace standard road tax. The idea was that you paid for what you used, with higher rates for using motorways or inner city roads. I think it got slapped down in a storm of "invasion of privacy" anger. It failed now, but imagine that same proposal under the Lord Protector's jurisdiction.

Don't forget congestion charges if that counts! nasty!!

torz x wink.gif
Backgammon
During a recent trip to Italy, whenever you got on the highway you'd have to take a ticket. When you got off, you put the ticket in a machine, which calculated how far you'd travelled, and charged you appropriately.
DrJest
Don't forget congestion charges if that counts!

I tried. God knows I tried frown.gif

FOr those who don't know, congestion charging is the fee you have to pay to use your vehicle within certain parts of inner London. The charge is the same if you drive around all day or if you nip in and out in five minutes:

How to pay?
You can pay the congestion charge either in advance or on the day of travel before, during or after their journey. The charge is £5 if you pay by 10.00pm on the day of travel. An additional £5 surcharge will apply if you pay from 10.00pm until midnight on the day of travel. This is to encourage early payment.

What happens if I forget to pay?
At midnight, images of all of the vehicles that have been in the congestion charging zone are checked against the vehicle registration numbers of vehicles which have paid their congestion charge for that day. The computer keeps the registration numbers of vehicles that should have paid but not done so. A Penalty Charge Notice will be issued to the registered keeper of the vehicle.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (DrJest)
Don't forget congestion charges if that counts!

I tried. God knows I tried frown.gif

FOr those who don't know, congestion charging is the fee you have to pay to use your vehicle within certain parts of inner London. The charge is the same if you drive around all day or if you nip in and out in five minutes:

How to pay?
You can pay the congestion charge either in advance or on the day of travel before, during or after their journey. The charge is £5 if you pay by 10.00pm on the day of travel. An additional £5 surcharge will apply if you pay from 10.00pm until midnight on the day of travel. This is to encourage early payment.

What happens if I forget to pay?
At midnight, images of all of the vehicles that have been in the congestion charging zone are checked against the vehicle registration numbers of vehicles which have paid their congestion charge for that day. The computer keeps the registration numbers of vehicles that should have paid but not done so. A Penalty Charge Notice will be issued to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

yeah, and they are talking about bringing it to other citys in the UK soon! something about introduceing satnav homers to see if you have paid, and eventualy replacing the road tax system for it....... well at least i would get a free satnav for the car?

torz x cool.gif
hermit
There may be some cleverly hidden away in Germany, but again I've never encountered any there.

You won't see any, because there are none.

The German government wanted to be all satelite-controlled hightech greatness when they were to implement the truck tolling on highways. Tolling stations? Everyone has tolling stations. Liberia likely has tolling stations! Naaaaah, Germany can do better!

Thus, the ministry of traffic (headed by a man renowned for several really costly, large-scale and failed development projects from his time as a provincial governor) founded a company called "TollCollect, inc.", which then developed a handy on-board unit device that would be installed into every truck that would ever use Germany's highways. This little thing - basically, a cross between a GPS device and a taxameter - would then track the truck and charge the owner by the meters driven. Of course, cheap or lowtech truck drivers can also buy vignettes for set tracks at gas stations and special shops close to the highway, but that's a complicated process that demands solid knowledge of German or English (which is really bad if you happen to be a romanian truck driver with little knowledge in either language).

This was meant to go into service in autumn 2003. Now (spring 2005), it is running for the first time in a halfway successful manner (albeit not on full scale yet). Go figure. nyahnyah.gif

in germany there are no speed limit on highway today, but in france it's limited to 130 Km/h. In SR, driving rules should have also big differences in europe.

Tehre should also be differences in driving styles. Like, in Germany, people tend to drive around 130 to 150, while in France, it seems, whoever actually heeds those 130 is honked at and overtaken (cruising speed there is around 180, unless the car cannot go that fast, that is).
DarkShade
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Speaking as the American in France, I stared in horror and complete befuddlement when I was expected to pay for the privilege of driving on a public highway. (CA has its share of toll roads but nothing nearly to the expanse of France.)

My question is how does the rest of Europe compare? Particularly Spain and Italy...

Also a quick nod to the Shadows of Europe team, I've said it before, but you guys did an excellent job. I feel the flow from past to future and love how you were able to root a lot of material in the history of Europe. I only hope that SoA does the same.

no idea about italy, but spain is FULL of toll highways though there usually is an alternative if you dont want to pay, but it tends to involve a smaller road, at slower speeds, with loads of traffic. going from alicante to barcelona for example is not worth it by car unless the car is full. <fuel+toll costs more than a trein ticket>

..hmm still need to read SOE I wonder what they did with spain..
DS
BishopMcQ
Thanks for everyone's input so far!
audun
QUOTE (hermit)
The German government wanted to be all satelite-controlled hightech greatness when they were to implement the truck tolling on highways. Tolling stations? Everyone has tolling stations. Liberia likely has tolling stations! Naaaaah, Germany can do better!

In Norway you usually pay for toll roads electronically. A small unit in your window registers that you've passed and you are either billed or have contract (pass as much as you want for a montly fee). Most places you can choose to pay manually, but some places the system just reads your license plate and mail you the bill (yes, there's been some trouble with that part of it). More info here: Autopass.no
Probably how it would work in most of the world by 2064, Awakening or no Awakening.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (Daegann)

Talking about speed limit, this and other rules should be diferent for each country in europe. For the example of the speed limit, in germany there are no speed limit on highway today, but in france it's limited to 130 Km/h. In SR, driving rules should have also big differences in europe.

They may... or not.
Especially with the implementation of the EuroRoutes, I guess one of the NEEC measures may have been to harmonize speed limits there.
130 km/h seems a good average.

Also note in SR's Germany (DidS2 ?) the speed limit on highways is also 130...
MYST1C
QUOTE (Skarn Ka)
Also note in SR's Germany (DidS2 ?) the speed limit on highways is also 130...

It is a modern myth that German autobahns have no speed limit!
While there are parts where you are actually allowed to go as fast as your car can, there is often a speed limit of 140, 120 or even 100.
In addition there's a speed suggestion of 130. Some insurance companies refuse to pay for accidents caused by you if you exceeded this speed.
Demosthenes
I don't know what the Tír na nÓg sb says about roads here in Ireland, but trust me: they're crap now, they'll be crap in 60 years time.
Maybe, just maybe, the Dublin-Galway, Galway-Sligo, Dublin-Cork, Cork-Limerick, Dublin-Belfast, and Limerick-Athlone roads will be moderately decent...

But once you get off the "motorway" (how writing that word in this country makes me laugh... sarcastic.gif ), you'll be onto the narrowest little boreens the world has ever seen.

And heaven forfend you have to drive up Glengesh in Donegal. The sheep there already charge any car they see. I'd hate to see what the Awakening does to them...
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Demosthenes)
I don't know what the Tír na nÓg sb says about roads here in Ireland, but trust me: they're crap now, they'll be crap in 60 years time.
Maybe, just maybe, the Dublin-Galway, Galway-Sligo, Dublin-Cork, Cork-Limerick, Dublin-Belfast, and Limerick-Athlone roads will be moderately decent...

But once you get off the "motorway" (how writing that word in this country makes me laugh... sarcastic.gif ), you'll be onto the narrowest little boreens the world has ever seen.

And heaven forfend you have to drive up Glengesh in Donegal. The sheep there already charge any car they see. I'd hate to see what the Awakening does to them...

And from the few time's i have driven over in Ireland, they are MAD, mad i tell you! almost as bad a driving in India!

torz wink.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Demosthenes)

Christ, you're not kidding.

A few years ago I spent two weeks hiking and bussing around Ireland and -- make no mistake, I had an absolute blast, but -- your tiny little fucking roads are insane to try and move anywhere on. I'd be scared to drive on them, and here I was hiking 'em. I'm not the only person who ever had to idea to walk or cycle anywhere on them (though I never bought any of the books dealing with it, they exist, and it's apparently a fairly common vacationing method), but I can't tell you how nervous I got whenever I was on anything but a long straightaway, walking along the sides of the road. Most places there's not even room to try and dive to one side or anything (and that's if you could see the car coming).

That said, it was still a great time. Two weeks with no plan at all, picking a spot on a map or in a tour book (at random), bussing half the way, hiking the other half, drinking Guiness with dinner and Bushmill's with strangers...then waking up and doing it again the next day. Absolutely great vacation, but terrifying roads.
Demosthenes
We don't have straightaways.
We have slightly less bendy bits of the roads.

There are two things you get a lot of practise in, if you drive around Ireland on country roads (and I have to, when driving to and from work):

1: Making use of every damn bit of asphalt on the road, as well as the couple of inches of grass that lie between the edge of the asphalt (if you want to be charitable and call it that) and the stone wall or 3-10 foot drop at the side of the road.

2: Anticipating where you're going to run into some damn idiot Jackeen fucknuckle in an SUV wider than the road, so that you can pull in and let him pass (you never assume that they're going to pull in...trust me...).

I am exaggerating very slightly for effect.

So if anyone wants to have an exciting car chase in TnO in Shadowrun, just bear in mind that if you're off a national road, you won't be doing more than 80kph (if you're daring and lucky) - and if you go that fast and don't know the road, you might end up saying high to Flossy, the awakened cannibal sheep...

@Critias:
I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday.
Yes, hiking and biking are very popular ways to tour around Ireland.
I'd never do it. I'm not that crazy...
wobble.gif

Edit: PS - "Jackeen" is an extremely derogatory word for people from Dublin, used by everyone else in the country. They call us Culchies.
[ Spoiler ]
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Demosthenes @ Mar 11 2005, 07:17 AM)
We don't have straightaways.
We have slightly less bendy bits of the roads.

Same in Wales, when you see a bend in the road sign it means a fraggin 90 degrees turn!

the Welsh don't know about straight lines!

torz x wink.gif
Demosthenes
[ot] grinbig.gif Is that why Shane Williams is so good at changing direction?
hermit
Roads in Europe tend to be a lot more narrow and winding than in the US. You get used to it. In fact, when I was in HAwaii (Big Island) in 2000, the car rental guy wanred be to never, EVER take the Saddle Road, because it was ... well, from his description, I got the impression it was half roller coaster, half Mad Max wastelands road littered with burn-out vehicles, mutants and killbots.

Turned out it was pretty tame compared to what I have driven on in France's Alps. It was almost wide enough for two American cars, and there never was a ravine right besides the road, only lava fields full of pointy rocks. And you could see the road in advance for almost a kilometer literally all the time!

Not to mention that, unlike the French Alps, I never encountered any opposing traffic, let alone drunkards who think that driving down a narrow mountain serpentines road at 150 kph is fun.

Every day, when I commute to the city, I pass a narrow, 1 1/2 lane road, where maximum speed is 100 (meaning that, if you drive slower, you will be honked at, and people will drive up till their bumper almost touches yours, flash their lights, and generally freak out) It's lined with trees - your average German alley road. Every damn tree on that troad, save for three that have been üplanted only recently, has it's own little cross, burn mark and little piles of glass splinters lying about. It's quite the dangerous road, yet it's getting a lot of traffic, because it's a main axis for commuters from the suburbs to the city. The road wasn't built with that in mind, though - it was built with Eastern border guard convoys moving back and forth in mind - so ... well, you gotta cope with that.

There's a reason driving school usually lasts around one and a half to two years here. Heightens survival rates enormously.
Demosthenes
QUOTE (hermit)
There's a reason driving school usually lasts around one and a half to two years here. Heightens survival rates enormously.

The population of Ireland is 5,000,000 or so, including the 6 counties (that's 'The North' for everyone else).
The population of the Republic of Ireland is somewhere around 3.8 million.

More than 300,000 Irish motorists have still not passed the driving test.

And we Irish are worse drivers than the Italians.
The Italians all think they're Michael Schumacher (hey, he drives for Ferrari...), and have no manners.

The average Irish driver thinks 'Right of way' is one of those old medieval common-law things, having to do with access to land and stuff...

This is also likely to remain unchanged over the next 60 years...

Bitter?
Moi?
biggrin.gif
Prospero
Okay: Irish and Welsh roads are pretty bad. Been there, driven that. But the worst roads in Europe...

Romania.

I have never been so afraid for my life like I was in the Carpathians. And not because of the vampires. *shudder*
hermit
QUOTE (Prospero)
Okay: Irish and Welsh roads are pretty bad. Been there, driven that. But the worst roads in Europe...

Romania.

I have never been so afraid for my life like I was in the Carpathians. And not because of the vampires. *shudder*

Hahahaha! Even been to Turkey? Good thing Allah is omnipresent - the Turks really need him to be, or else they'd die out in a matter of days.

The Turk govenment has taken on the habit of not towing car wrecks away, but leaving them beside the road. If you're driving towards Van, a stronghold of the PKK rebels, this really gives the street an eerie feeling, I can tell you ...

Oh, as does finding a skull while taking a piss on the roadside. A skull with a hole in it's forehead.

*shudders*
Prospero
Okay, you win. nyahnyah.gif The only things I encountered along the sides of the roads in Romania were sheer drops, hitchhikers, and fat, 50+ year old prostitutes...
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (audun @ Mar 9 2005, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (hermit)

In Norway you usually pay for toll roads electronically. A small unit in your window registers that you've passed and you are either billed or have contract (pass as much as you want for a montly fee). Most places you can choose to pay manually, but some places the system just reads your license plate and mail you the bill (yes, there's been some trouble with that part of it). More info here: Autopass.no
Probably how it would work in most of the world by 2064, Awakening or no Awakening.

Yeah, autopass is great. Here in the U.S., we use it to pay for gas at the pump, too. Proximity cards are badass.

Anyway, the thing about autopass is that there is still a tollbooth. It may not be manned, but it's still something that has to be constructed, operated, maintained, and replaced with human operators in a catastrophic failure of technology.

What I understand about the process hermit mentioned is that it completely does away with toll booths as something African warlords set up. Instead, with a GPS receiver and a set of coordinates, it would be possible to automatically charge you toll just by virtue of your car's coordinates being along an area where a toll is charged, and you never even see a booth.

It's also in use to a certain extent here, already. There have been cases where a rental car company itself fines a driver for excess speeding because their OnStar or other GPS navigation system clocks them going over 100 mph/167kph (Supposedly, GPS speedometers are more accurate than the one in your dash, too). As it is, there is currently a fight underway in the U.S. for electronic black boxes to be mandatorily installed in vehicles under regulations set forth by the Department of Transportation which would indicate, amongst other things, the speed you were traveling at.

But the proliferation of thse GPS navigation systems and services (e.g., OnStar) creates a situation as described in Rigger 3 Revised where the police could automatically fine you for speeding because OnStar/GridGuide ratted you out. And I don't think that the Constitution can save you any more than you can use it to fight the fact that refusing to consent to a DWI test is an automatic misdemeanor (in this state, anyway) because you have to waive that privilege in order to get a driver's license.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012