Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anthropomorphic Combat Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheQuestionMan
Hoi Chummers, I tried a SEARCH for Anthropomorphic Combat Drones, but could not locate them.

What I am looking for in Anthropomorphic Combat Drones Sizes from the size of say a small child to a huge troll or slightly larger.

I am looking for Anthropomorphic Combat Drones designed for Covert Ops, Surveillence, and out right War Machines.

I replaced the Cyber Zombie in the adventure SuperNova in First Run with an Anthropomorphic Combat Drone along the lines of the War Bot in the Movie "Judge Dread".

Cyber Zombies seem so much more expensive and dark. Where are an Anthropomorphic Combat Drone is a cold, unfeeling, murder machine, that just will not stop. It had a Rigger Controling it and a for Robot back up. It was decidedly more dangerous, but alot more fun for the PC Combat Monsters to blow up. cool.gif

Please help a fellow GM. frown.gif

Links Appreciated!!! biggrin.gif

QM
Mr.Cato
I'll tell you the only thing I know about anthromorphic combat drones...

In the campaign "Brainscan" there are some anthroform constructs:

Skellbot
handling: 3
Speed: 5
Accel: 1
Body: 2
Armor: 3
Sig: 8
Pilot rating: 3
sensor rating: 3
learning pool: 3
robot pool: 3
Initiative: 6+4D6

has autosoft clearsight 2, Implant weaponry 3, sharpshooter 3
Weapon: Claw (6M) Bite (6M, -1 reach) ...and ofcourse any ranged weapon
internal recoilcomp: 3

they are a good shot: rolling pilot and autosoft (3+3) 6 with a dice pool of 6 (learning+robot)
..and they use sensor enhanced gunnery... "lock on" and forget movement penalties, partial cover (it seems), lighting... check them out on page 154 SR3
Tarantula
R3R. Walker chassis. Give it 2 mechanical arms. You now have an athropomorphic drone. Body 1 is toaster to dwarf sized. 2 is dwarf-orc sized. 3 is troll-car sized.
tisoz
Try a search using anthroform, that is the SR term.
TheQuestionMan
Thanks chummers, keep them coming.

Herald of Verjigorm
Well, the medium anthroform chasis is supposedly about human sized, large is about troll sized, so a small would probably be about dwarfish. However, I don't see a small chassis in the list. You could try to infer one from the medium and large stats, but the tiny tiny amount of CF left after the arms will greatly reduce usefulness.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Tarantula)
R3R. Walker chassis. Give it 2 mechanical arms. You now have an athropomorphic drone. Body 1 is toaster to dwarf sized. 2 is dwarf-orc sized. 3 is troll-car sized.

Wait, R3R allows battlemechs? I'll have to look at that.
Tarantula
Anthroform is human or troll sized, medium or larged size. I see no reason why you couldn't make a walker chassis into an anthroform, by adding on the 2 mechanical arms that the anthroform chassis come with. Its simply that the anthroforms are the factory standard metahuman drones.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Mar 10 2005, 11:41 AM)
R3R.  Walker chassis.  Give it 2 mechanical arms.  You now have an athropomorphic drone.  Body 1 is toaster to dwarf sized.  2 is dwarf-orc sized.  3 is troll-car sized.

More like Elementals. I suppose Locusts are "car-sized"...
Tarantula
hahnsoo.... walkers come from body 0-4. Sized the same as a crawler. Body 3 walkers are the size of a sub-compact car, and 4 are the size of a sedan. Thats fairly battlemechish to me.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Tarantula)
hahnsoo.... walkers come from body 0-4. Sized the same as a crawler. Body 3 walkers are the size of a sub-compact car, and 4 are the size of a sedan. Thats fairly battlemechish to me.

BattleMechs are supposedly a lot bigger than a car, depending on the tonnage, although my mind is probably warped from years of looking at various BattleMech illustrations. Locusts always looked about the size of a compact car (2 door Civic comes to mind) with legs to me, while the Atlas easily towers over it (over 3 times its size, if not more). The real comparison in my mind is the size of an Elemental suit next to one.
mfb
really? most of the mechs i see in anime are 1-2 stories tall. something sedan-sized is usually more often classified as powered armor.
Herald of Verjigorm
It varies greatly with the specific souce of the mech design. If you want a Battletech mech, it will be a minimum of 20 tons (but less than 100), and something vaguely like 12 meters in height (although some appearances will range from more like 8-20 meters, the game rules always assumed 12 meters). Of course, if you want a mech from a non-FASA related source, the results can be drastically off.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Arethusa)

Oh yeah. Add an extra entry point so that you can get in and out, bucket seat so you've somewhere to sit and space to fit, rigger adaption so that you can drive the thing, enviroseal and life-support systems so you're not just gassed the first time out and take it from there. Has to be done through vehicle design rather than customisation though. There were some threads a while back arguing that they probably worked out cheaper than cyberzombies and lasted longer as well I seem to remember.

It's been a while so I've forgotten, but what's the difference between walkers and anthroforms again?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
It's been a while so I've forgotten, but what's the difference between walkers and anthroforms again?

Anthroform = Bipedal
Walker = Four legs or more.
Arethusa
Wait, if you can only get up to body 4 with a walker chassis, that is not a battlemech at all. These things are supposed to be able to get many stories high and knock that 2 door Civic coupe around. Maybe almost comparable to the lightest mechs, but from what I'm hearing here, I think the Elemental comparison is more appropriate.

[edit]

Or, I guess, apparently, you'd have to do it with an anthroform.
Tarantula
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Mar 10 2005, 10:08 PM)

Anthroform = Bipedal
Walker = Four legs or more.

Incorrect. It never specifies how many legs a walker drone has, its up to you. You can have bi-pedal walker drones, or 20.

Also, when making an attack with a leg, you must make a crash test to avoid falling, which to me implies they have less than 4 legs.
hahnsoo
Not to mention the portable fusion reactor with tons of shielding and the really big gyroscope. biggrin.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Incorrect. It never specifies how many legs a walker drone has, its up to you. You can have bi-pedal walker drones, or 20.

Also, when making an attack with a leg, you must make a crash test to avoid falling, which to me implies they have less than 4 legs.

I suppose that's technically true (anthroforms are called "specialized" metahuman shaped walkers), however I'd like to know if there's anywhere in canon that there's a 2-legged walker that's not an anthroform. This isn't meant to be a challenge, I'm just curious for my own edification.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
More like Elementals.

Elementals? I'm taking that's a Battletech reference, it sounds vaguely familiar?
Tarantula
Best guess is the Mk-Guyver Robot Drone in R3R. It doesn't specifically say only 2 legs, but it seems like it would.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
More like Elementals.

Elementals? I'm taking that's a Battletech reference, it sounds vaguely familiar?

Power Armor, basically. They are about 12 feet tall (the pilots are genetically enhanced to be the size of trolls), and carry a pair of SRMs (short range missiles), a claw-weapon, and a sidearm (usually a machine gun, small laser, or a flamer). They fight in organized points of 5 (I think?), and have jumpjets that allow them to move quickly across terrain and mount an effective anti-mech strike.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Mar 10 2005, 10:38 PM)
Best guess is the Mk-Guyver Robot Drone in R3R.  It doesn't specifically say only 2 legs, but it seems like it would.

It has six legs and tank treads, according to the picture in Rigger 2.0.
Toyota MK-Guyver Search and Rescue Robot
The MK-Guyver is the first drone to take advantage of new robotic self-learning technology.  Its ability to adjust its programming in response to unexpected circumstances makes it a top-notch performer for search and rescue in perilous environments.
The MK-Guyver moves by means of tracks, but also possesses auxiliary legs for movement over rough and uneven terrain.  It has two mechanical arms with modular fittings and an acetylene blowtorch for cutting through rubble or barriers.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Power Armor, basically.  They are about 12 feet tall (the pilots are genetically enhanced to be the size of trolls), and carry a pair of SRMs (short range missiles), a claw-weapon, and a sidearm (usually a machine gun, small laser, or a flamer).

Hhmm, that's actually pretty doable. Ares firelance for the laser, HMG, Shiawase blazer the flamethrower and the old Rigger 2 rocket pods for the missiles. Can't do anything like jumpjets but after you've fixed four or five points of vehicle armour you probably don't need it. smile.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Hhmm, that's actually pretty doable. Ares firelance for the laser, HMG, Shiawase blazer the flamethrower and the old Rigger 2 rocket pods for the missiles. Can't do anything like jumpjets but after you've fixed four or five points of vehicle armour you probably don't need it. smile.gif

Yeah, these things are supposed to take hits from a Battletech Large Laser and live, so you'd need some amount of armor on it. There are lighter "scout" versions manned by the Inner Sphere (who just calls it Battle Armor), some variants made by the Clan (with Elemental-like names, Gnome, Sylph, etc.), and a particularly heavy variant that was supposed to take a PPC hit and still be functional. I'm not sure what would constitute "jumpjets" in SR, at least something reasonable in SR tech that doesn't involve magic. Maybe just the equivalent of Hydraulic Jacks to jump farther, but not necessarily like a jetpack. Or strap one of those Night Gliders onto its back.
FlakJacket
Random thought- if normal cyberarms come with internal storage space, would mechanical arms for drones have a small amount of internal CF as well? :/
Tarantula
No.
hahnsoo
Mechanical arms can be modified per Rigger 3 to carry any Cyberarm modifications at half the price (same Avail/Time), save for Quickness and Strength modifications. While not CF, per se, they can have anything from shotguns to the cyberarm gyromount to built-in kits, etc.
FlakJacket
So you could have an SMG or shotgun cybergun in one arm and a Shiawase blazer in the other as back up weapons and it doesn't even take up CF space? Oh this just gets better and better. If you run across anything else like that be sure to post it. biggrin.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
So you could have an SMG or shotgun cybergun in one arm and a Shiawase blazer in the other as back up weapons and it doesn't even take up CF space? Oh this just gets better and better. If you run across anything else like that be sure to post it. biggrin.gif

I'd imagine you'd be limited by the rules governing cyberarms. Also, Cyberarm devices cost x4 of normal, though the half price reduction, this is cut down to x2. I don't remember seeing anywhere about a Shiawase blazer being a cyberweapon, but I'm sure a generous GM can arrange something similar.
FlakJacket
Well they call it a SMG sized weapon IIRC so I don't see why not.
Arethusa
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Mar 10 2005, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
More like Elementals.

Power Armor, basically. They are about 12 feet tall (the pilots are genetically enhanced to be the size of trolls), and carry a pair of SRMs (short range missiles), a claw-weapon, and a sidearm (usually a machine gun, small laser, or a flamer). They fight in organized points of 5 (I think?), and have jumpjets that allow them to move quickly across terrain and mount an effective anti-mech strike.

Elemental pilots are really more genetically modified to be the size of larger orks. They're bigger and stronger than normal humans, but not by that much.
FrostyNSO
How much CF and Load can you tack onto a large anthroform?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
How much CF and Load can you tack onto a large anthroform?

Max CF for a Large Anthroform is 10. Load varies by power plant, but Electric Fuel Cell maxes out at 500.
FrostyNSO
Wow.
FlakJacket
Vanquisher heavy machine gun and nine points of gunnery recoil adjusters anyone? smile.gif
John Campbell
You might find my Ares Spartan Combat Suits interesting.

I put together a budget model after the last one of these threads we had, too... I should finish that up and post it.
Trax
For that combat suit, you may wish to replace the laser and cannon though since they will be nigh impossible to get. I was going to make one with an MMG or MHG, or grenade launcher. Not only are they cheaper, but they are less heavy, more easily obtainable, and can carry more ammo.

I'd like to see how your design is, I'm working on a budget model as well but haven't gotten very far yet because of other distractions.
TheQuestionMan
QUOTE (John Campbell)
You might find my Ares Spartan Combat Suits interesting.

I put together a budget model after the last one of these threads we had, too... I should finish that up and post it.

Nice Web Site. eek.gif
DocMortand
Heh...the last time we got into this the Spartan came up and Hero and I came up with the Warhammer 40K Space Marine Dreadnought.

Here's the thread:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...&hl=dreadnought

I turned it into a battlefield EW monster....*grin* It hasn't turned up in my game...yet.

John Campbell: I'm interested in your budget version as well - your creation is actually going to be in my campaign sometime soon, so if you have a budget version it would be neat to use as a prototype. (If you don't get to it, I already have your other suit variants printed out and ready to rock and roll, so there's no pressure.)
Trax
Well i'm an idiot. I just realized that he said MY (his) page. I didn't realize you were the one that made that suit.

Seriously, that thing (if I can somehow get it built) kicks ass and the best thing is that depending on the model, it's actually affordable unlike other places where they don't even have half the stuff on there and have it priced in the millions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012