Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL Firearms Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
FrostyNSO
I was looking at a FN Five-Seven pistol on an online auction recently. Unfortunately, I can't purchase this weapon in stupid California. Now, if I purchase it through a website or online auction, can I have it sent to a FFL dealer in Nevada or Arizona and pick it up there? Or do I have to be a resident of either of these states?

[ Spoiler ]
Solstice
You can't transfer the pistol across states lines. Hence, why it has to be shipped to a FFL holder. The FFL holder does have to be in your state of residence. I'm sorry that you live in a communist country. frown.gif
Fresno Bob
You live in California? For $100 I can get you an AK...legally. Yes.
Raygun
What Solstice said. You have to be a resident in the same state as the FFL dealer who handles your NICS paperwork. If he can't bring it in, you don't get it.

You live in California? For $100 I can get you an AK...legally. Yes.

No you can't. You maybe able to get some severely jacked-up semi-auto AK with a couple of 10 round magazines, but you aren't getting any real AK legally in California as a civilian.
Fresno Bob
Thats why I put legally after the ellipse. Indicating I wasn't really meaning it was legal.
FrostyNSO
Heh, I'm a big AK fan too =)

I got a chance to use this pistol for a while overseas (we found it on a dead guy!), and I fell in love with it. California is a damned bitch of a state. What can I do with this pistol that i can't do with my mini14? What can i do with 20 rounds that I can't do with 10 for that matter??? Stupid, stupid, stupid laws.
Fresno Bob
Well, for one the ammunition is armor piercing.

For two...well, there isn't a two.
Solstice
QUOTE (Voorhees)
the ammunition is armor piercing.

huh?????? eek.gif
FrostyNSO
Not any more than your average hunting rifle.
Fresno Bob
Yes, but you can't carry a hunting rifle around concealed.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Mar 14 2005, 09:31 PM)
The ammunition is armor piercing.

Huh? eek.gif

It fires 5.7x28mm ammunition. Looks kinda like a smaller version of the 5.56 round and was designed to give better than average body armour penetration - it's advertised as being able to penetrate PAGST armour at 300m from what I've read. To do with the steel/aluminium core, the front third being made of steel, of the bullet apparently.

This thing was designed as the sister weapon of the P90, Raygun also has the Five-seveN written up, and a quick schpiel about the 5.7 ammunition as well just to keep this at least slightly Shadowrun related. smile.gif
FrostyNSO
I'm just bitter damnit. California sticks to it's dumb laws and with me wanting to be a good citizen, I have to abide by them. Crap, the only other way this is happening is if I become a cop, and then I'm not even sure if they can get them.

It's not fair that criminals who break the laws can get ahold of them and I am being punished for not breaking them and trying to aquire the weapon legally. If I wanted one illegally, I'd have one already damnit.

I guess that just does it. I guess I'm officially moving to Utah now.

edit: Sorry for the "poor me"...This along with some other things has gotten me plenty sick of this state.
kevyn668
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

I got a chance to use this pistol for a while overseas (we found it on a dead guy!), and I fell in love with it. California is a damned bitch of a state. What can I do with this pistol that i can't do with my mini14? What can i do with 20 rounds that I can't do with 10 for that matter??? Stupid, stupid, stupid laws.

I'm an armchair commando so my RL gun-fu is weak. What did you like about it?
Solstice
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
I'm just bitter damnit. California sticks to it's dumb laws and with me wanting to be a good citizen, I have to abide by them. Crap, the only other way this is happening is if I become a cop, and then I'm not even sure if they can get them.

It's not fair that criminals who break the laws can get ahold of them and I am being punished for not breaking them and trying to aquire the weapon legally. If I wanted one illegally, I'd have one already damnit.

I guess that just does it. I guess I'm officially moving to Utah now.

edit: Sorry for the "poor me"...This along with some other things has gotten me plenty sick of this state.

Nooooooo.....

the.........mormons...........oh god.........the mormons.

nyahnyah.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Well, for one the ammunition is armor piercing.

For two...well, there isn't a two.

The civilian version of the ammo is not the same as the military, and will not uphold it's standards of armor piercing. That besing said, it's still penetrate a LOT better than a normal handgun.
Solstice
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Solstice)
The ammunition is armor piercing.

Huh? eek.gif

It fires 5.7x28mm ammunition. Looks kinda like a smaller version of the 5.56 round and was designed to give better than average body armour penetration - it's advertised as being able to penetrate PAGST armour at 300m from what I've read. To do with the steel/aluminium core, the front third being made of steel, of the bullet apparently.

This thing was designed as the sister weapon of the P90, Raygun also has the Five-seveN written up, and a quick schpiel about the 5.7 ammunition as well just to keep this at least slightly Shadowrun related. smile.gif

Yes, yes. I'm familiar with all that but thanks. I thought he meant armor like armor plate. Sorry. rotfl.gif
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Mar 14 2005, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Mar 14 2005, 09:05 PM)

I got a chance to use this pistol for a while overseas (we found it on a dead guy!), and I fell in love with it.  California is a damned bitch of a state.  What can I do with this pistol that i can't do with my mini14?  What can i do with 20 rounds that I can't do with 10 for that matter???  Stupid, stupid, stupid laws.

I'm an armchair commando so my RL gun-fu is weak. What did you like about it?

We used them anytime we would be inserted behind enemy lines so I got really familiar with them. They can go through hell and back and still perform reliably. They require much less "TLC" than some other rifles (like the AR15). People bitch about their accuracy, but for most applications, they're reasonably accurate (unless your making shots over 300 meters, you're good).

edit: Oh, did you mean the pistol?

I liked the penetration, low low recoil (less than most 9mm pistols), and light weight. It also seemed to "fit" my hand. I'd present it and the sights would be right on. It was really accurate too.
Raygun
QUOTE (Solstice)
the ammunition is armor piercing.

huh?????? eek.gif

I think he means that the original load for the 5.7x28mm (SS190) was for some time (possibly still is, not sure) classified by the BATF as armor piercing. Though the bullet is not much different in construction from the 5.56x45mm NATO bullet used in the US M855 "Green Tip" round, which is no longer considered AP by the BATF.

FN apparently restricts sales of all 5.7x28mm ammunition to LE/Military except for a Hornady V-MAX load (40 gr. @ 1650 fps; $20 for 50 rounds), which is useable as a varmint hunting load. At any rate, no matter what the bullet, 5.7x28mm ammunition is not easy to come by. It's also not very financially viable for that purpose when you consider that you can get 500 rounds of .223 Remington for around $50 just about anywhere in the US and a Ruger Mini-14 for about two-thirds the price of a Five-seveN.

Thought some of you might be interested in this and this, too.
kevyn668
Frosty: Yeah, I meant the pistol. smile.gif

Though I'm pretty sure I've asked you about your fondness for the AK as well. But that was a while ago.

Thanks. smile.gif
Spetulhu
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

Why would criminals try to get a thousand dollar gimmick gun when they can get a normal revolver for much less? Always remember to dump the weapons you fired, so make sure they're not too expensive. wink.gif
kevyn668
Its that they "could" not that they "would."
FrostyNSO
kev nailed it
JaronK
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

I know, seriously. I mean, I want some cocain, pot, and speed, and it's also not fair that criminals who break the laws can get ahold of them and I am being punished for not breaking them and trying to aquire the drugs legally. If I wanted them illegally, I'd have them already damnit.

If you really want to have crazy guns, do it in a less populous state that doesn't have to worry so much about gangers in the big cities getting ahold of serious firepower.

JaronK
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (JaronK)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Mar 14 2005, 10:49 PM)
It's not fair that criminals who break the laws can get ahold of them and I am being punished for not breaking them and trying to aquire the weapon legally.  If I wanted one illegally, I'd have one already damnit.

I know, seriously. I mean, I want some cocain, pot, and speed, and it's also not fair that criminals who break the laws can get ahold of them and I am being punished for not breaking them and trying to aquire the drugs legally. If I wanted them illegally, I'd have them already damnit.

If you really want to have crazy guns, do it in a less populous state that doesn't have to worry so much about gangers in the big cities getting ahold of serious firepower.

JaronK

That argument makes a ton of sense, considering the Constitution contains specific protections on your right to own and use mind altering substances of all kinds ...

And considering that drugs are most commonly used for self defense by law abiding citizens ...

Begone, troll.
Solstice
QUOTE (JaronK)

JaronK

You moron. "Gangers" can get ahold of much worse than a freaking 5.7 pistol, and no gun-related law is going to stop them. A semi-auto pistol doesn't qualify as a "crazy gun". A "crazy gun" would be GE Minigun or some such thing. Communist.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Solstice)
Communist.

Brilliant.

You can count on me to report this thread if it isn't closed down soon otherwise.
torzzzzz
I couldn't help you, i know all about fire arms in the UK and the licencing of them (as i am waiting for my licence for shotguns) but just a quick question why the hell would you want to walk about with one?

Call me stupid but i would never walk about the streets with my shotgun!

torz x sarcastic.gif
FrostyNSO
I don't want to walk around with one (I have to do that at work anyways), I want one for home protection.
Solstice
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
I couldn't help you, i know all about fire arms in the UK and the licencing of them (as i am waiting for my licence for shotguns) but just a quick question why the hell would you want to walk about with one?

Call me stupid but i would never walk about the streets with my shotgun!

torz x sarcastic.gif

report the thread it's done anyway. It's just going to turn into a honeypot for those who don't believe in individual rights.
torzzzzz
Ah, well thats different, saying that in the uk the law is so strict about keeping fire arms, we have to have them locked away in a cabinet and the ammo in a different safe, on an internal supporting wall and all that.

I mean when we transport them the mechanism has to be separate form the gun!

didn't mean to diss you but I have been taught to treat all fire arms with respect!

And i have no idea what the law is in the US!

torz x biggrin.gif
Nikoli
Laws int he US regarding firearms vary from state to state.
Some of the more assinine knee-jerk legislation includes the recently expired "Assault Rifle Ban" which did not define what constitutes an assault rifle on calibre or intended purpose in the design process but rather how it "looked" and how many attachments were currently on it. There were some additions that did make sense though, like no fully automatic, a limit on ammo capacity, etc. However, as many have said, the laws only serve to keep guns out of law abiding citizen's hands.

Personally, I'm happy to live in a city where all male residents over the age of 18 must own a firearm. I couldn't imagine not being allowed to own a firearm, and one of the reasons I doubt I will ever visit England.
Arethusa
Fully automatic weapons were not touched by the AWB. Those have been heavily regulated since 1932.

On a side note, for those who find the Five-seveN a SCARY COP BABY KILLING OMG NO NONOES gun, consider that its armor piercing ability is more or less easily matched by any rifle, and an old CZ52— a pistol— can be had for around $100 with plenty of ammunity and can penetrate almost just as well. Recent furor over the Five-seveN is nothing bu the Democratic party hemorraging political power and trying desperately to stayin in the political limelight.

Why, why, why am I registered Democrat?
Req
QUOTE (Arethusa)

That's rhetorical, right?
Nikoli
It's funny, if it weren't for his stance on the war in Iraq, I woulda voted for teh libertarian guy. He likes for law abiding citizens to own fire arms and would have gone a long way toward removing both NRA and the anti-gun lobby's propaganda from Government publications.

Though, NRA does have one thing right. Just hiding a weapon or scaring the crap out of your kid will not stop them from playing with the weapon 100% of the time. you have to teach them to respect firearms, not fear them. There is a not so subtle difference many people forget there.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Req @ Mar 15 2005, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Mar 15 2005, 11:50 AM)

That's rhetorical, right?

No, it was a cry for help.

QUOTE (Nikoli)
It's funny, if it weren't for his stance on the war in Iraq, I woulda voted for teh libertarian guy. He likes for law abiding citizens to own fire arms and would have gone a long way toward removing both NRA and the anti-gun lobby's propaganda from Government publications.

Go ahead! Throw your vote away!

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Though, NRA does have one thing right. Just hiding a weapon or scaring the crap out of your kid will not stop them from playing with the weapon 100% of the time. you have to teach them to respect firearms, not fear them. There is a not so subtle difference many people forget there.

The NRA is a weird organization. Purely looking at their stances on most things, I should love them. I agree with most of it. And then I start to look at their rationalizations, their arguments, and I'm a little uncomfortable. Then I look at their membership, their leadership, their public tactics, and I really, really dislike them. But, yes, I'd take them over the fear mongering gun control lobby.
Nikoli
I thought I said that.

At least i didn't vote for Kodo
Neuron Basher
Keep it on-topic and civil, people. This is not the place for discussion about current day politics.
Snow_Fox
Raygun has covered this already but just to repeat,
To own a gun legally you must obey the laws of your state of residence.
You cannot buy a gun in a state in which you do not live.
If someone legally buys the gun in their state and then brings it to your state to sell it to you without the proper ppwork, that is gun running and is illegal.
If you visit a friend in another state and that person legally buys a gun and then hands it over to you, even if you provided the friend with the money, that is a straw purchase, and is illegal.

In short you want the toys, you gots to change the laws where you live or move to a state where the laws are more lax, like Pennsylvania, where there is no waiting time for a hand gun, assuming you are a resident who does not have anything in your past to prevent you from owning a firearm-like a fleony conviction.

this is why in SR weapons have legality ratings.
Snow_Fox
the assault weapons ban was a lovely piece of legislation that did nothing. Since it expired there has not been a big rush for such weapons and when it was in place, one of the defining elements of an assault rifle was having a lug where a bayonet could be attached. Until the law was jiggled a bit, this ratted historical re-enactor's muskets, you known flintlocks, as assault rifles.
SirKodiak
QUOTE (Solstice)
Communist.

Communism is an economic system which promotes the elimination of private property and promotes group ownership in the interest of group welfare. I'm hardly a fan of communism, but it has nothing to do with an argument about gun control. The ridiculous generalization I believe you were looking for was "fascist", which describes a person who promotes a strong and dictatorial government.
Arethusa
In no way do I agree with Solstice's communist comment, but had he instead called JaronK a fascist, I would not consider that to have been at all a ridiculous generalization. It would, in fact and in many ways, have been fairly accurate, even if JaronK himself would have very much disliked the association.
CanvasBack
Hey, if you're interested in a game about Communism....

Virtual Kremlin

Otherwise, what exactly does this stuff have to do with Shadowrun? Smells like politics to me...
JaronK
Grrr... trying to avoid getting further into this. I'll leave it as: if you don't like the safety laws of this state, you can go somewhere else. There's plenty of states where you can buy plenty of concealable firearms... bringing them back here is illegal.

And since the right to privacy that's been knocked around in the supreme court lately essencially gives constitutional rights to do what you like in your own home so long as you don't effect anyone else, drugs in the home are looking pretty similar to illegal firearms in the home, generally speaking (and I know that's a roughcut arguement).

JaronK
FrostyNSO
Who cares if it's concealable? Maybe if I was a criminal that would matter to me....
Pthgar
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Who cares if it's concealable? Maybe if I was a criminal that would matter to me....

Because, in Michigan at least, if you want to carry a firearm on your person for protection it has to be concealed and you must have a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) Permit.
Gratefully, Michigan is an "at will" state and will issue a CCW to anyone who can prove (with a noterized letter with 2 signators) that they've taken the class, can shoot resonably well (done at the class), and they have no criminal record.
Michigan also honors CCW equivilent from almost every other state in the U.S.
Pthgar
QUOTE (JaronK)
Grrr... trying to avoid getting further into this. I'll leave it as: if you don't like the safety laws ...

Don't you mean "anti-saftey laws"? 'Cause I'm a lot safer from attack armed with a weapon than I am without. Pistols have been banned in Washington D.C. for decades and that place is only marginally safer than Iraq right now. Pardon the slight sarcasm.
CanvasBack
Hey I was from Michigan and never knew that Pthgar... Learn something new every day. I was living in Colorado for about 5 years and learned from a neighbor they'll let you carry any single-, double-action, or semi-auto pistol you want to as long as it's in Plain Sight. Different state, different philosophy behind their laws I suppose. To carry one concealed you have to get a letter from the Sheriff of your county and you have to explain why that's necessary. From what I heard, they pretty much take any cogent reason as a good reason...
Pthgar
Plain sight makes more sense to me because it would be more of a deterrant. Michigan has only been "at will' for about 7ish years, I think.
Solstice
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 15 2005, 11:21 PM)
If someone legally buys the gun in their state and then brings it to your state to sell it to you without the proper paperwork, that is gun running and is illegal.
If you visit a friend in another state and that person legally buys a gun and then hands it over to you, even if you provided the friend with the money, that is a straw purchase, and is illegal.

Your wrong. Anyone can do what they want with a firearm they have purchased. As far as I know (and I live in Idaho which has pretty liberal [in a good sense] gun laws) a person can buy a gun in NV and give or sell it to someone in another state. Paperwork and background checks do not govern the sale of normal weapons between private individuals, nor does it govern a persons ability to give someone a weapon as a gift. As long as it's legal for the reciptient to posses such a weapon it is perfectly legal.

So...while I'm not an expert on CA gun laws (in fact I choose to ignore the festering cancer of a state), as long as you can posses a pistol legally then there is nothing illegal about recieving a gift from someone, or buying it from a private individual.

*DISCLAIMER* Gun laws vary from state to state so the best thing to do would be to visit your state website or call your local Sheriffs office for info, but I would advise against giving your name or any other information
Critias
QUOTE (Pthgar)
QUOTE (JaronK @ Mar 16 2005, 02:16 AM)
Grrr... trying to avoid getting further into this.  I'll leave it as: if you don't like the safety laws ...

Don't you mean "anti-saftey laws"? 'Cause I'm a lot safer from attack armed with a weapon than I am without. Pistols have been banned in Washington D.C. for decades and that place is only marginally safer than Iraq right now. Pardon the slight sarcasm.

How is it an "anti safety law" that prevents people in California from having a handgun that (they think) can penetrate armor? You can still pack a .45, and I like to think that could handle any random mugger that comes your way. Theirs was a knee-jerk reaction (the armor piercing thing), but once you think it's a highly concealable weapon capable of poking clean through the vests your cops wear (and is many times more concealable than most other weapons capable of doing so), it sort of makes sense that they not want the FN on the streets.

The primary assumption of theirs is incorrect -- the armor piercing thing -- but the logic thereafter sort of makes sense. I don't see why someone would need an armor piercing handgun (which I know, I know, it's not, but they think it is) for home defense? How many random burglars sneak around in full on tac gear (outside of Shadowrun)?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012