Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix crash of '65? Wha?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Finster
What books detail the Matrix Crash? I haven't heard anything about this at all. Is this new for SR4, or contained in another book somewhere?
hermit
The upcoming campaign books "Critical Error" and "System Crash" will do that, but the whole action will still be building up in SoA, SoSA and the secret societies book.
Synner
As indicated in the current FanPro catalog, the books previously presented as Critical Error and System Crash have been condensed into an event/campaign book called System Failure, which will likely be the final release under SR3.
hermit
Condensed? I was hoping for a long, 200+ pages campaign book and an equally informative source book ... sheesh, condensed ... that'll bridge the 5 years gap. sarcastic.gif
Demonseed Elite
Well, keep in mind that a rules sourcebook for SR3 would be kinda pointless coming out right before the release of SR4. wink.gif
hermit
Sure, wasn't thinking of rules, more like background and a timeline of major events so my group will at least have an idea what will happen in those Five Dark Years, and we won't just timewarp our characters. And maybe some adventures involving the major events, too. You know, like RA:S and Brainscan, just a bit thicker. A worthy finale.

Of course, I realise publishing rules in that book would be absurd. smile.gif
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (hermit)
Condensed? I was hoping for a long, 200+ pages campaign book and an equally informative source book ... sheesh, condensed ... that'll bridge the 5 years gap. sarcastic.gif

Umm... that's the book that's going to _end_ the SR3 line. I would expect that everything that happens there after will in SR4 products.
Crimsondude 2.0
And to that end, I don't imagine it's going to be thin.
JongWK
Don't have the 2005 Catalog, but picked this at RPG.net:

System Failure™ - Stock #: FPR 25014
The year is 2065, and all is not well. Apocalyptic terrorists strike around the world, a struggling megacorp makes a drastic decision to stem off impending doom, and an AI thought to be dead rises again. System Failure gives players and GMs the details leading up to and following these dramatic, world-shaking events, providing numerous scenarios for runners to play a role in the biggest shakeup the Shadowrun universe has seen in decades.

2005 release schedule:
Loose Alliances™ - Stock #: FPR 25006
Shadows of Asia™ - Stock #: FPR 25007
Shadows of Latin America™ - Stock #: FPR 25011
Shadowrun Fourth Edition™ - Stock #: FPR 26000
SR4 Gamemaster’s Screen™ - Stock #: FPR 26002
On the Run™ - Stock #: FPR 26003
Street Magic™ - Stock #: FPR 26004
QUOTE (JongWK)
Apocalyptic terrorists strike around the world, a struggling megacorp makes a drastic decision to stem off impending doom, and an AI thought to be dead rises again.

Someone ought to fix that. You don't "stem off" anything. You "stave off" impending doom, not "stem off."
mintcar
Stem means stoping or slowing down. Stave means avoiding. According to my dictionary.

stem could also mean branch I suppose. I´m not a native english speaker.
Ancient History
Nice to see you back, 32.
mintcar
Could you say "stem impending doom"?
TheScamp
Not really. To stem, as mentioned before, is generally used when you want to slow down or impede, usually with things that flow, like water (to "stem the tide") or some other similar metaphor. You can't really stem a specific, final event or incident like the one implied with the phrase "impending doom". You either stop it, or you don't.
Crimsondude 2.0
Does it matter at this point?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (TheScamp @ Mar 20 2005, 08:19 PM)
Not really. To stem, as mentioned before, is generally used when you want to slow down or impede, usually with things that flow, like water (to "stem the tide") or some other similar metaphor. You can't really stem a specific, final event or incident like the one implied with the phrase "impending doom". You either stop it, or you don't.

Or you could slow it down temporarily as a means of opening up other opportunities to stave it off completely. Considering that I can't think of a single scenario that would completely stop a struggling megacorporation (<coughs>Novatech</coughs>) from "impending doom," but can think of myriad examples where you might be able to at least slow it down... "stem off" seems wholly appropriate to me.

But I like to nitpick semantics, too. Especially stupid ones like this.
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Considering that I can't think of a single scenario that would completely stop a struggling megacorporation (<coughs>Cross Applied Technologies</coughs>) from "impending doom," but can think of myriad examples where you might be able to at least slow it down... "stem off" seems wholly appropriate to me.

Why would you think CATco, as opposed to Novotech?

Oh, and welcome back Doc.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Fortune)
Why would you think CATco, as opposed to Novotech?

I fixed it just before you posted. Memory's going downhill.
Dillinger
QUOTE (JongWK)

The year is 2065, and all is not well. Apocalyptic terrorists strike around the world, a struggling megacorp makes a drastic decision to stem off impending doom, and an AI thought to be dead rises again. System Failure gives players and GMs the details leading up to and following these dramatic, world-shaking events, providing numerous scenarios for runners to play a role in the biggest shakeup the Shadowrun universe has seen in decades.

2005 release schedule:

so are all of the titles up too 4th ed comming out going too be 3rd? if so... smile.gif i feel good. At least 3rd will have a couple rock ass titles before it bites it.
Demonseed Elite
Most of them are source material not mechanics, so it really won't matter too much whether they fall in 3rd edition. For instance, I still use my Aztlan sourcebook a lot, even though it's not 3rd edition.
Dillinger
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Most of them are source material not mechanics, so it really won't matter too much whether they fall in 3rd edition. For instance, I still use my Aztlan sourcebook a lot, even though it's not 3rd edition.

i feel ya on that. i also have the aztlan book, and the new seattle first ed.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Dillinger)
and the new seattle first ed.

mad.gif
If it's first edition, it's not exactly "New", is it now?
The book has a proper title: Seattle Sourcebook.
The whole point of the word "New" in 3rd Edition's placebook for the same location is that it's not the original, it's a new and seperate book.
hobgoblin
i think what he was trying to say was that he had a first print of the "new seattle" book...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i think what he was trying to say was that he had a first print of the "new seattle" book...

In a discussion about how the fluff from older editions's fluffbooks is still valid in a newer edition? That'd make no sense then, as New Seattle is a 3rd Edition book.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (JongWK)

2005 release schedule:

Jong, thanks for the heads-up. As for the 'new' SR4, I'm going to wait for it to hit the stores before I get all excited.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 21 2005, 04:33 PM)

In a discussion about how the fluff from older editions's fluffbooks is still valid in a newer edition? That'd make no sense then, as New Seattle is a 3rd Edition book.

true, but that does not stop people from making statements like it nyahnyah.gif

and bookwyrm, i dont think thats so bad an idea. the more info that gets put on shadowrunrpg the more it seems to become a whole new beast. but im glad they dont toss the whole storyline like WW did with the new WoD...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Mar 22 2005, 12:44 AM)
That'd make no sense then

true, but that does not stop people from making statements like it

Well forgive me for assuming a dumpshocker was trying to make sense. I of all people should know better.
BookWyrm
What I find as the major strike against SR4 is that they're scrapping all the good Magic rules that have come before; Magic In The Shadows is a damn fine book, and something I re-read on occaision.

I like the idea of a wireless Matrix, but calling them 'hackers' is going to have serious repercussions. Again, I'll wait until the book hits & I can have a look at it.
Cain
What I find as the major strike against SR4 is that they're scrapping all the good Magic rules that have come before; Magic In The Shadows is a damn fine book, and something I re-read on occaision.

Who says they're scrapping all the good magic rules? The basic stuff was mostly unchanged from 2nd to 3rd, and the changes weren't that dramatic from 1st to 2nd. The big changeover from 2nd to 3rd was the graded initiation, and I think they'll probably keep it.
Tal
Exactly. All we've been told is that the rules have been streamlined, not broken into a million pieces.
paul_HArkonen
Although (and I'm just being cynical here) there is nothing to say the the developers decided that in order to streamline the rules they had to be broken into pieces and glued back together again.

Personally, I think we should all wait until we have some more info on the changes, or *gasp* just wait until the new book comes out. But then again, this is dumpshock and if there's one thing we do well it's speculate and make up new rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012