Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mages, Astral Vision and Long-Range
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Perssek
Hey, guys (and girls), I have a problem here.

Iīm GMing our first SR2 after a long time (last one was five years ago, I guess), and we had an incident were I had to rule something I couldnīt find in any book.

Letīs see: the team was about to kick some go-gang ass in their own turf. To do such, they did some undercover recon on the place for weeks before, gained the local neighborhood trust and then layed an attack plan.

Problem was, one of the key players (a sniper adept) couldnīt go to the session where the shooting started. So the mage had to trade places with him, since he was the only one that wasnīt affected by range. He sat at the sniperīs nest, a 10-stories building that gave full view to the go-gangers lair entrance. He was armed with his mumbo-jumbo and a nice low-light optical binoculars (so he could aim at LOS without problems).

But when the crap started to hit the fan, the streets lights went off, and he had trouble finding his targets. Then he switched to Astral Vision. And here comes the problem: Could he see astrally trough the binocularīs amplification?

I ruled that he could - the BBB donīt say anything against, but Iīm still uncertain if itīs legal or not.

What do you say?
Ancient History
His physical vision extends through the scope, his astral vision does not. Why? Because the scope only exists on the physical plane.

Now, we could extend this arguement that astral sight isn't technically "sight," but rather an astral sense that we call "sight" because we lack the proper language and common ground to define it better (i.e. it has nothing to do with your eyes, or light as we know it in the physical sense. In most cases, anyway.)
Perssek
QUOTE (Ancient History)
His physical vision extends through the scope, his astral vision does not. Why? Because the scope only exists on the physical plane.

So, you say that he could only target without the scope (astrally, at least)? Well, I thought so at first, but wasnīt certain. Makes sense, though.

But he could still aim through those small and faint auras that he could see from a 10-stories building 2 blocks away, right (with some modifiers, of course)?
Fortune
It's outdoors in a city, so there still should be enough ambient light for Low Light vision (or enhancements) to works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012