Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Peace sells....but whos buying!?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Bastard
I am running an IRC (yahoo messenger) game that started off well...then started to fizzle.

I have two characters running strong, and one that is in and out.

I am looking for at least two more players that are dependable, laid back, and are team players.

Game times revolve around what works best for all players, so the more flexible you are the better. I find weekends best, when all players are needed. Individual play, such as legwork, can be arranged to be done at that one players convenience. For the meet times I prefer to run at least twice a month, and plan in advance. If you give me a time, please be there. If something comes up at the last minute, I understand, but send a line so we dont hold up the whole game.

We are not too far along, so new players should be able to jump right in.

If interested, post character idea here.

I am very flexible on character creation, so if you have an idea, run it past me. I prefer not to have munchkins, and would prefer characters based more on personality than stats.

Chargen:
Priority, Sum of 10, 125 BP
Availability 8- but will easily budge with good background and reason for having said item

Bonus for knowing where I got the title, only cause Im not creative enough to think of my own, and I have to admit I stole it.
HobbeGoblin
What type of campaign? Set where? What's already in group and what's needed?
Bastard
Right now its just a few short runs, to get everyone comfortable with the style of play and to build up some karma. Then the campaign will tie into these missions, and will be a series of missions in it self. I hope to cover all aspects of the game if I can.

It is set in Seattle 2063 right now, but will jump ahead to 2065.

I have a rigger, a mage and an adept. Everyone can fight, so dont feel restricted to making a combat heavy character. Feel free to play what ever character you like, especially if it has never been done before. As for needed, nothing is needed, if you dont have something needed, you guys will just have to wing it and see what happens.
HobbeGoblin
Megadeth......is my guess.

concept 1. An older/original member of the Halloweeners who was incarcerated when gang was wiped out. Now out and refuses to follow that wimp of a new Leader.

Concept 2. A bliss addicted rat shaman ( japanese shinto...miko tradition)

concept 3. A wu jen. ( actually an anglo... father a Mitsuhama employee who recieved promotions for having a magically active son, but was on downward spiral when son wasnt grasping his studies...they tried to teach him as a Mage not a Wu Jen)

concept 4. A Cutter gangmember ( would be a face with a bunch of street level contacts vs. a bunch of corp contacts)
Cross
[boom]
Reason
With a name like that, I'm definitely interested. (Megadeth rocks, and the new album is great.) I'll come up with some concepts, but right now I'm a little short on time, but the basic idea I like so far is a fop of a sam by the name of Wysiwyg.
Outcast
[boom]
Bastard
HobbeGoblin-
Damn right
Personally I like the ex-Hallo weener, but I prefer you to play the character you would like the best. You are welcome to submit a new character if your first one you find is not working for you. Like I said, it will be a few short runs, mainly to get everyone used to the gameplay, and then begin the campaign.

Reason
Sounds good...and yes The System Has Failed was my first title, but then I would have too many paranoid deckers and riggers. biggrin.gif

Outcast
A gecko shaman? The team already has a mage with gecko crawl, does this mean I will have to retards walking up the side of buildings like spiderman!? Hehe. And will the HobbeGoblin come after you? Like the character idea.

Everyone who is interested
Feel very free in character creation. Dont worry about "filling" any positions. I feel that a good game works around great characters, as much as a good GM.

You are not limited to canon, feel free with all source books and information you can dig up, sourcebooks, websites, created weapons and vehicles (CC or R3), new archetype idea. Run it by me, we may need to tweak it, but I will probably accept it. Example Super... I mean Capt Dave's link.
Outcast
[boom]
Elfie
I have a full mage (Italian Priest, Sky father Shaman, Order of St. Sylvester) all drawn up for a dumpshock game that never got off the ground (Dash, what's going on??). Can I just e-mail you the .sr3 file and you can tell me what to remove to make it fit in your game? It's not high powered, but different GM's different rules and all that.

Or would I be making this too mage-heavy?

Edit: I'm at work now, but could send it at the end of the day.
Edit2: Here's the backstory I wrote for Dashifen's game. It was supposed to take place in Europe, but details like that could be changed.

[ Spoiler ]
HobbeGoblin
I'll get working on Helter Skelter then. The Ex-Halloweener.
Bastard
One more thing: edges and flaws, you are welcome to use created ones and non canon ones, but you have to clear them first. No hunted. No amnesia unless very well played, meaning you dont know who you are. You can have a max of 5 edges, and flaws have to equal edges, so 5 points of edges has to be matched by 5 or more flaw points. Five edges max, max points for edges is +12, max flaws -12. If you have more flaw points then edges, you get one karma point for each, to a max of 5.

The sooner the better, but since I want more detailed characters, we will see how it goes. For now, try to have a rough draft to me by Saturday, April 10th.

I will pm everyone a character example.
HobbeGoblin
The most obvious flaw i would have is a 6 pointer....Criminal record.
Elfie
On the whole edges = flaws thing, I'm not trying to make a munchkin, but my characters usually have more flaws than edges (keeping withing the +/- 5 window) just due to background and personality.

I can understand not wanting people to take more edges than flaws, but should I be forced to take edges that don't fit the character just to balance out flaws taken to add personality? I'll do it no problem if that's the ruling, but just wanted to ask.
Bastard
Elfie
That is fine
If you have more flaw points then edges, you get one karma point for each, to a max of 5.

Hobbe
Has your character already been released from prison, or is he on the run? If he has already done his time take a -2 flaw and you are on parole. If he is on the run I will need to know what he is charged with, and who is after him.

HobbeGoblin
He'd be on parole. I'll take the 2 points although it specifies that i'm on parole in the origional flaw. No biggie though. Its more roleplay than the need for points anyways
Elfie
I assume common language will be English?
Bastard
Yes, english is the primary language. I didnt get your character Elfie.
Elfie
Yeah, the e-mail didn't work and I don't have any free online space to upload you the link. I'll put it on a yousendit site tonight and PM the link to you.
Reason
Okay, here's Wysiwyg's blurb.

[ Spoiler ]
kackling kactuar
Query: Do you want us to enter the game knowing each other or as complete strangers? Should we swap backstories?

Oh yeah, and this is Cross/Outcast. I'm done playing around with alts, so this is me from now on. Yup. smile.gif

Edit: What is your ruling on illusion spells? Do they have to be force 4 or greater to affect cameras and sensors?
Bastard
Standard rules for most magic, unless you have a reason why it shouldnt be. Dont most illusion spells come in a second variety that also effect cameras? I could be wrong.

I prefer you at least know each other, maybe done one job together, or you can be complete strangers, and I can have the current runners hire you.

By the way Elfie-you only have two contacts? Are both of those freebies? If so, you will have to know one of the other characters.

To those who havent submited a character yet, and want to be a stranger to the group, you will have to leave one of your contacts to me.
Elfie
I don't know who's playing in this game at all, but I could easily change one of my freebies to another player. Can we get a list of current and new players so I know who's who?

Edit: Also, there are illusion spells that are geared specifically towards machines. No books in front of me, but Chaff and Flak come to mind.
Bastard
You can keep those two contacts and just say you know one of the other runners...you could also take the weaker pacifist as a flaw if you want the two extra points of karma.

As for spells, use book rules, unless you have an arguement how to better use it.

The rest of the cast: Jaruen, The Relentless, Aku...and maybe Captain Jackass.
kackling kactuar
There's a rule in the core book that says that objects can't be affected by spells with a force less than half their object resistance rating. Since cameras have an OR of 8, that technically means that spells such as Trid Phantasm with a force less than 4 cannot defeat them.

There seems to be a lot of GMs who ignore this rule though, so I'm just curious to know what your take on it is.
Foxx
I'd like to jump in and see if you need a decker. Building this one off the priority system since i don't have the rules. Maybe a little rough, let me know if there's anything you want changed.

[ Spoiler ]
Elfie
QUOTE (kackling kactuar)
There's a rule in the core book that says that objects can't be affected by spells with a force less than half their object resistance rating. Since cameras have an OR of 8, that technically means that spells such as Trid Phantasm with a force less than 4 cannot defeat them.

There seems to be a lot of GMs who ignore this rule though, so I'm just curious to know what your take on it is.

The closest thing I can find in the core book is p182, which states "The target number for spells cast against inanimate objects is based on the materiel from which the object is made." This is referenced again on p190. I don't see anything about force, but I don't know why someone would try to cast a force 1 Chaos against a camera with an OR of 10 anyway wink.gif
kackling kactuar
Elfie: A couple of sentences down from the target number rule on 182 is: "The Force of the spell must be equal or greater than half the Object Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object."
Bastard
So then I will use that rule-seems fair to me.

Foxx do you need the BP creation rules? You could probably squeeze out an extra attribute or skilll point. biggrin.gif
kackling kactuar
Gotcha.
Elfie
Oh, cool. Reading the rules at 2AM wasn't a good idea embarrassed.gif
frostPDP
Not a terrible idea and I might be interested, but I have no real idea either of availability or of what exactly the campaign is about.

I have a character I could use no-sweat, but I'd rather know what the setting for the campaign would be. What house rules do you have? Would you accept characters who have done a run or two already, or would I need to reset him, as it were?

Anyhow thanks, and if it sounds like a pretty good general idea I'll see about playing. Weekends are usually fine for me, but for the next two weeks (your game starts April 10, as you said, so it shouldn't be a terrible problem if I, yanno, don't procrastinate) I'll be fairly busy with schoolwork. Enjoy!
kackling kactuar
Are any of you mojoslingers going to pick up a healing spell? I have a 6 point gap in my bag of spells that needs to be filled. Currently, it's being occupied by Levitate, but I can easily swap it out for a Heal or Treat if we don't have an awakened healer in the group.
Elfie
I have a force 5 Heal as one of my spells, along with Control Emothion, Compel Truth, and Magic Fingers all at 5. Then there's the staple Stun Bolt, and Lightning Bolt for a little flare.

Did I double up on anyone's spells? I can always find something else to add. BP system doesn't give me as many spell points as BeCKs nyahnyah.gif
Bastard
Thanks Elfie- I was like "ahhhh, ahhhhh...Pigmies!"

Cant remember all those spells frown.gif

frostPDP House rules are basically that I try to use common sense and most of the game rules apply. I am flexible, so if there is something you see needing be changed, or something you disagree with, please tell me why. I dont kill many runners, if they do something stupid the most that would happen is an open hand bitch slap from a dragon. biggrin.gif

This exerpt is from Hall of Shane
[ Spoiler ]

As for your character, please reset, but I will award Karma for good backgrounds, and well thought out characters.
kackling kactuar
As a GM and player, I have always found the best solution, instead of killing or arresting the character, just have something ridiculous happen to them, like having their boob cut off.

That's not much of a penalty when one can just replace it with a cyber-boob. smile.gif
Bastard
Foxx- DK is good to go, but its the Preditor III that has the smartlink II insided.

So far I only have a final character from Foxx, how far along is everyone else?
kackling kactuar
I'm still tossing around a few ideas in my head at the moment, but I'll probably get the final version of my guy to you by tomorrow night at the latest.
Elfie
I thought the .sr3 file that I sent you was my final character. Oh well, I'll double-check it tonight and send you a new copy.
Bastard
Sorry for the delay...I was gone for most of the weekend. I may not be able to post tonight, but I will definately be on tomorrow. So far here is my list:

kackling kactuar Rascal
Needs final touch ups (equipment and gear as well as contacts)
Need numbers for chargen

Foxx Digital Kitsune
Done-do you need to make any mods, or you ready to go?
Need numbers for chargen

Elfie the Priest
Can you send me the link, I didnt get it or email it to me if you dont have a link
Need numbers for chargen

HobbeGoblin Helter Skelter
Havent received any character yet

Reason Wisiwyg
Havent received any character yet
Foxx
nuyen.gif I'm about as done with DK as i'm going to get without further funds.

On the chargen numbers, I used the Sum of 10 to make DK up. Unless you want the total numbers I used to make the character up.
Elfie
Sent you the files in an e-mail last night. That should be it for me.
Bastard
Ok-need everyones Yahoo ID.

I am presidentbastard
Foxx
<b>digital_kitsune2000</b>
Elfie
RHStepchild23

Is it possible to give people nicknames in Yahoo chat, for example, during our meets I could rename you all to your characters so it makes it easier to keep track on my screen? I don't use Yahoo Messenger often enough to actually know what it's capable of.
Bastard
If you right click on the persons name (on Yahoo), then click Contact Details, you can change how you see that person.

Basically I take the person, Foxx for example, and make his first name: Digital Kitsune (his character name) and his last name (Foxx) (in parenthesis, so I can remember his DS name). So I see Foxx as Digital Kitsune (Foxx)

That works for me, if you have something better, use that.
kackling kactuar
kacklingkactuar
Elfie
QUOTE (Bastard)
If you right click on the persons name (on Yahoo), then click Contact Details, you can change how you see that person.

Basically I take the person, Foxx for example, and make his first name: Digital Kitsune (his character name) and his last name (Foxx) (in parenthesis, so I can remember his DS name). So I see Foxx as Digital Kitsune (Foxx)

That works for me, if you have something better, use that.

That's actually exactly what I was looking for. Thanks smile.gif
Frater Inominatus
Are you still taking on players? I have a human hermetic mage/thief. A Robin Hood type who steals from the wealthy corporations to help those exploited by those corps.
Bastard
Frater Inominatus- I guess we could use one more, but I need a character quick

I have three from here and two from the first group. I hope after a few runs that it will work like an in person group, where more than one of us can gm, you use a different character with each gm.

My campaign you all will be going on is a loose group of mod runs and runs I have written that will overall come together in the end. Everything should tie into the story in the end, minus a few runs here and there.

So is everyone ready to go?

Here is what I have so far

kackling kactuar playing Rascal, the shaman

Foxx playing Digital Kitsune, the combat decker

Elfie playing Father Sabastiani, the priest

Aku playing Jack Wired, the Rigger

Jaruen playing Puck O'Maley, the mage/face

and maybe a few more...but we will run with this for now.

Post here for what time is best for you...Im looking at Sunday April 24th late afternoon, or late friday night. Or anytime the next weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012