Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The up-side of SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Smiley
I've seen many, many people posting about how much they love SR3 and that they're distrustful of SR4. Well, SR3 was a bit of a departure from SR2 and WAY off from SR1. Change can be good. Just because things are evolving, doesn't mean that Shadowrun is going to be a totally different, unplayable game now. Give SR4 a chance before you get all pissed off. Wait until you KNOW FOR A FACT what has changed and HOW IT HAS CHANGED before you judge it. I think that the developers have earned a little trust, don't you? Aren't they entitled to the benefit of the doubt? Haven't they proved that they know what they're doing?
Penta
They haven't, not really, and...I'm a cynic about such things.
Catsnightmare
Not after this 'hackers' name change crap they haven't.
And I'm starting not to like the hints being dropped of the change in dice mechanics either.
Smiley
They changed a name and they updated some tech. That's so catastrophic that everyone has their undies in a bunch? Calm down, for God's sake. It's not the end of the gaming world.
Arethusa
I can't agree either— and hell, I like the hackers name change and the furor over it is getting pretty damned annoying. I simply haven't seen much from these guys, and neither have the rest of you. Recent FanPro work has been better, yes. Certainly a step up from the disastrous crap that somehow passed for publication when Mulvihill was around. I'll admit I'm reasonably optimistic about this, and I do think people have been unreasonably quick to jump at current devs and declare them false prophets and all the other silly bullshit that's been flying lately. But I'm not going to advise blind faith, either. That's a bit too far in the opposite direction.

That said, the blind judgement a lot of people have been getting into lately needs to stop. That shit's just as narrowminded, and arguably more annoying.
Deamon_Knight
Take it with a grain of salt Smiley! What the heck else would we be talking about? Its the old story about headlines; "Planet Doomed" is news, "Planet A-OK" is just not as interesting.
Smiley
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I can't agree either— and hell, I like the hackers name change and the furor over it is getting pretty damned annoying. I simply haven't seen much from these guys, and neither have the rest of you. Recent FanPro work has been better, yes. Certainly a step up from the disastrous crap that somehow passed for publication when Mulvihill was around. I'll admit I'm reasonably optimistic about this, and I do think people have been unreasonably quick to jump at current devs and declare them false prophets and all the other silly bullshit that's been flying lately. But I'm not going to advise blind faith, either. That's a bit too far in the opposite direction.

That said, the blind judgement a lot of people have been getting into lately needs to stop. That shit's just as narrowminded, and arguably more annoying.

I think this is the first time me and Arethusa have been totally on the same page. I'm not advising towards blind faith either, I'm just saying that the developers have earned the benefit of the doubt and that everyone should wait for more info before they start rending their garments and decrying SR4.
The Horror

Well, I love every change so far - even the change of deckers to hackers.

I have complete faith in the design team.

The Horror
Sandoval Smith
What could we do to amuse ourselves if we didn't have gems of irrational, seething, rage, like the guy who posted the,"Opinion? Yeah, I got one?" thread?
Necro Tech
As long as we are talking upside, anyone wanna take a bet on wether or not the invisibility question gets resolved?

Also, the FAQ no longer applies. grinbig.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Also, the FAQ no longer applies.

You mean the FAQ that when they updated it on 3/1/05, no longer had any wording to the effect "There are no plans for SR4 at this time"? Which was aproximately two weeks before they even made a formal anouncement that SR4 was coming?

That FAQ?
SykoBear
Hey guys,

It just occurred to me. Isn't it April Fool's Day in two day's time?
Critias
Boy, you're right! They sure pulled a fast one on us. I just wish I could see the looks on the playtester's and developer's faces when someone tells them the whole thing's just a joke!
Cougaar
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
Take it with a grain of salt Smiley! What the heck else would we be talking about? Its the old story about headlines; "Planet Doomed" is news, "Planet A-OK" is just not as interesting.

huzzah for internet fora where anybody and everybody can get as worked up as they want to about whatever they want!

it's people who have nagging doubts and concerns mixed with people who take things too seriously and others who are just bored.

all in all, we can't really discuss all the things good, bad and ugly until we've got the finished product - and to while away the time we discuss all sorts of things.. whatever comes to mind.. it's a great way to generate interest and to get the masses hyped up about the coming new addition.

at times I find myself remembering how worked up people got because of the millenium - oh knows.. the Y2K bug that will spread disaster and mayhem!!one!eleven
in a couple of years most if not all people will chuckle over the "issues" discussed here.. I think there a few who are laughing already (not me, I just have a little giggle now and then)
Grinder
I'll give SR4 a chance. There are things to be changed, a lot imo. We'll see if we like the changes rob and his boys are doing. If not - well, nobody has to use them. wink.gif
Bigity
Yea, or buy them.

Which means SR folds again, and now we don't even get SR3.
Aku
QUOTE (bigity)

how exactly does the introduction of SR4 invalidate all of the materials of SR3 you have? just because the new edition comes out, doesnt mean you can't continue with the sr 3 things until you hear/make opinions on sr4. Hell, in That Game that Shalt Not be Mentioned™, theres still people playing FIRST edition!
Vuron
Actually plenty of people still play basic dnd but that's besides the point. Personally I'll give it a shot see if I like the rules and setting. Honestly I expect to probably have something akin to using the SR4 ruleset with a revised SR3 setting but that's just me. Of course at a certain point in time that pretty much kills adventure and sourcebook sales but that's an industry wide problem atm.
Bigity
QUOTE (Aku)
QUOTE (bigity)

how exactly does the introduction of SR4 invalidate all of the materials of SR3 you have? just because the new edition comes out, doesnt mean you can't continue with the sr 3 things until you hear/make opinions on sr4. Hell, in That Game that Shalt Not be Mentioned™, theres still people playing FIRST edition!

Because if SR4 tanks bad enough, and FanPro is counting on SR4 to keep the product line viable, then they won't be around to keep producing SR3 products.

Nobody said anything about not being able to use existing books. Except you.
Aku
and thats my point, if people are still playing a ruleset that had a fighter, mage, cleric, thief, elf and dwarf as playable CLASSES, well, i think you'll be able to manage with sr3 if you don't like the direction sr4 goes. After all, they haven't had any sort of setting upgrade for what? nearly 20 years?
Bigity
And if you asked those guys if they would like to get a new book now and then, what would they say?

My point is that there's nothing wrong with people being apprehensive about the SR4 changes. Because who knows what can happen if it doesn't sell.
Dizzo Dizzman
We Fear Change. indifferent.gif
Aku
I dont know what they'd say, but i can tell you it's generally not profitable for a gaming company to continue making products for obsolete (in their minds) products. I'm sure the number of people playing dnd/adnd/ even 3.0 is a small minority. Writing, printing and distributing books is expensive.
SirBedevere
Remember, inside every silver lining is a cloud. cyber.gif
Bigity
QUOTE (Aku)
I dont know what they'd say, but i can tell you it's generally not profitable for a gaming company to continue making products for obsolete (in their minds) products. I'm sure the number of people playing dnd/adnd/ even 3.0 is a small minority. Writing, printing and distributing books is expensive.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear.

FanPro continues to make SR3. They continue to sell books and make a profit (at least, I hope they are currently in the black at the moment, if not, maybe that is the driving force behind SR4).

Or

FanPro makes SR4. SR4 tanks (hope not), and FanPro goes the way of the dodo. Now we don't have any new SR, of any version.

So, people with concerns about SR4 changes are right (or at least have the right)to voice them, without being considered rude or dumb or whatever.

That's all.
Wounded Ronin
I think it says on the SR4 FAQ that SR3 books with rules in them will no longer be useful.

I'm glad I didn't buy SOTA whatever.
Bigity
Really.

I do still want MrJLBB though, last book I got was SSG.

I guess Running Wild and Loose Alliances can suck it, though.
Kagetenshi
If Shadowrun tanks over this, WizKids still owns the rights.

Personally, I'm more worried about the system being bad and not tanking.

~J
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Bigity)
I guess Running Wild and Loose Alliances can suck it, though.

Loose Alliances has virtually no rules in it that I'm aware of; it's much more like Corporate Download or the Shadows of... books, so it's not going to suffer.

Running Wild has apparently been pushed back, and I am in no small part responsible for that. I've had a lot of real-world events that kept me from fulfilling some of my obligations in a timely manner. Most of that is fluff, too, though some of the rules will probably have to be reworked to fit in with SR4. I don't, however, know what the book's current fate is.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I think it says on the SR4 FAQ that SR3 books with rules in them will no longer be useful.

Then you're missing out on the world info/fluff that makes up about 85% of the book. The rules are a fairly small part of it, and even some of that should make it through relatively unscathed.
Bigity
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If Shadowrun tanks over this, WizKids still owns the rights.

Personally, I'm more worried about the system being bad and not tanking.

~J

This has me intrigued. I take it you don't want SR4 at all? Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.
Eyeless Blond
He's worried that it's going to be bad, but everyone around him is going to like it, and he'll have to suck up to the new (bad) system just to get to play SR anymore.

That concise enough? smile.gif
Kagetenshi
I want to preface this by saying that a lot of the wording I'm going to use is that of a friend of mine with whom I've talked this out. The opinions contained herein, however, are mine.

I don't object to the idea of SR4. When I first heard about it I was excited, even hopeful after the initial fear died down. A lot of things need to be simplified, made sane, rebalanced (though I disagree with the merge-the-rulesets mentality). Even the news that the WMI (which it's no secret that I think has no place in Shadowrun) has not only persisted but thrived left me hopeful. The more I watch, though, the more the hope turns to dread. From the destruction and rebuilding of the Matrix on principles derived from today rather than from existing Matrix tech, to the general change-for-change's-sake attitude being expressed (from Patrick Goodman's "We're trying to bring it up to snuff with the world around us, which has largely outstripped it in terms of the tech available to us now", which is not in and of itself either positive or necessary to the retagging of Deckers to "hackers", presumably in an effort to say to potential players "hey, it's different now!")… the entire thing has the stink of a marketer on it, and not a good marketer.

But what I'm afraid of isn't that SR4 will fail catastrophically. No, that may send FanPro scrambling back to 3rd Edition (or possibly resulting in someone else picking it up if FanPro loses the license from WizKids), which, while badly in need of improvement, has been clearly demonstrated to work. What I'm afraid of is that this will have a modicum of early success with casual players who drift off into other games, while simultaneously eroding the fanatical fanbase, thus leading to slow death several years down the line. That seems altogether more likely to result in the death of Shadowrun as a game.

Edit: Eyeless: Hush, you nyahnyah.gif though I do admit that if that happens I'll have to find something more productive to do with all of my time, horrifying thought that that is wink.gif

~J
Skeptical Clown
I think that's pretty concisely put, and I can more or less agree with it.
Bigity
Fair enough. I have some of the same concerns. I guess we are in a wait-and-see mode for a few months smile.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Though some of the material in the SOTAs will likely be incorporated into relevant rulebooks (and I am lobbying for updating the rules content that doesn't fit into them as free web offerings duly revised to take into account the new mechanics), you're missing out on a whole bunch of interesting fluff and contextual content which probably won't make it into the rulebooks. As far as I'm concerned both SOTAs are worth the price of entry just for the Culture Shock section and that certainly won't be used.

As has been mentioned, Loose Alliances will provide material that is equally valid in 206x as in 2070 (which is one of the reasons FanPro is putting it out now), and both Shadows of include not only truckloads of original setting material and metaplot developments that you'll be kicking yourself in the future for not getting, but they also include hints of what's to come.
Vuron
I tend to agree with Kagetenshi that there remains a big question of whether SR4 can thrive or if it further fracture the fanbase. I'm not saying that a new edition isn't pretty much mandatory on a regular basis in the gaming industry as corebooks are always better revenue streams than sourcebooks it's just that each rule revision seems to bring fewer and fewer gamers along with it unless it manages to bring in a new influx of gamers. Simply put there seems to be a point of diminishing returns on most game systems and at a certain point in time it becomes a good business decision to scrap an existing line and build something completely new.

I'm not sure that SR4 is going to be that point (despite the large degree of hatred it's already acchieving) but overall some degree of trepidation is somewhat warranted.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Bigity @ Mar 30 2005, 12:12 PM)
FanPro continues to make SR3.  They continue to sell books and make a profit (at least, I hope they are currently in the black at the moment, if not, maybe that is the driving force behind SR4).

Or

FanPro makes SR4.  SR4 tanks (hope not), and FanPro goes the way of the dodo.  Now we don't have any new SR, of any version.

So, people with concerns about SR4 changes are right (or at least have the right)to voice them, without being considered rude or dumb or whatever.

That's all.

If the second scenario were to come to pass, the final result wouldn't be so much "Now we don't have any new SR, of any version" as it would be "We don't have any new SR published by a central publisher under the vision of a central line developer."

Even if the supply of officially published material were to dry up, there would still be interest in the game, and new homebrew SR content would still get placed online for public consumption.

Would it be a patchwork of ideas, likely requiring fine tuning of both plot/setting issues and rules/game balance issues? Of course. However, having a central publisher and line developer is no guarantee that new material will be a 100% perfect-fit to your group's campaign anyway. The level of required fine tuning may go up under a "decentralized" SR paradigm, but it's still better than rejecting homebrew material and saying that there's "no new SR at all".
Kagetenshi
And again, the fact that the rights are owned by someone other than the publisher gives an added layer of protection.

~J
NightHaunter
Look the system may or may not be bad. Personally i'm comming down on the side of not bad, because I think the playtesters want to do it justice.

But thats really a moot point because it's the world i'm paying for. The plot and all that jazz.

So as long as that remains as good as ever I will still religously pick up all the new books.

Before anyone starts slagging off past plotlines there have been none that I have hated.

Yes I like some better than others but none of them have been truly bad.
Eldritch
I hope it is good as well. Hell, I may or may not like it. Won't know until I see it. But I won't be able to - just can't afford it (Or justify the expense)

I just don't think SR4 is neccessary.

"All change is not growth; as all movement is not forward."

Demonseed Elite
I just don't think SR4 is neccessary.

That's understandable. I imagine there are a number of current SR players who feel that way. There are also current SR players (like myself) who feel it is.

But mainly, there are a lot of people who don't play SR, because they've found learning the game to be too complicated or require too many books or they've found running the game to be a matter of having to juggle too many rules and numbers and having to flip through too many books. After the SR4 announcement was made, I visited a few RPG sites which were not SR-specific sites. There were a lot of people posting, "Good, if the rules are simpler, I may actually try Shadowrun" or "Shadowrun is a cool game, but it confused my players so we play something else now."

Also, you have to consider that SR is published by a new company. When Wizkids/FanPro took over, they inherited whatever flaws there may have been with SR3, even though they weren't in charge of it then. One thing that is common with new management, no matter the business, is an effort to restart what you can, so you at least have firm control and responsibility over that which you are working with.
Kagetenshi
Right. It's the "not invented here" syndrome, which is an absolutely atrocious mindset.

~J
mfb
more like the "we get a lot of complaints about the way the old regime ran things, so we're going to do things differently" complex.
Kagetenshi
No, he quite definitely just described "Not Invented Here" syndrome. Reread the last line of that post.

~J
Eldritch
And do you really think that that will change? The flipping through several books to find a particular rule? Or to make a character?

No.

Sure, at first you'll only need the one book. But then The Magic book, the Cyber book, the ...and so on.

And will the new version be less complex? Maybe. Will it Be "Dumbed out"? Maybe.

The point is, SR4 will have just as many flaws - and be just as complex as SR3. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

That's just the way it is with RPG's. And it doesn't have to be that way.
Demonseed Elite
Well, yes, that's partially true, Kage. Not that I'm saying that is even a part of the motivation for SR4, but it could be. My direct neural interface to Rob's brain is on the fritz lately, so I can't tell you what was running through his mind at the time of the decision.

But think about it. If SR3's ruleset was proving troublesome to the development and popularity of the game, what are the options? You could try to change the rules within the same edition, but that's an expansion of SR3's already existing problem of having an expansive rules tangle across non-core books. Or you could make a new edition. "Not Invented Here" syndrome would be correct if FanPro were tossing out all of Shadowrun to make a new game, but that's not the case. NIH syndrome involves ignoring previous research, results, and knowledge, which is also not the case here. Expansive past research and experience in Shadowrun is being applied.

Take a look at the RPGNet threads here, here, here and here full of people who post about ditching Shadowrun because of the confusing rules, "rules creep", too many required books, too much flipping through books, etc.
Eldritch
Take a look at the RPGNet threads here, here, here and here full of people who post about ditching Shadowrun because of the confusing rules, "rules creep", too many required books, too much flipping through books, etc.

And Will that change in SR4?

Immediate, and future?

Demonseed Elite
I can say that it is definitely the goal. There are far too many people who say, "I like Shadowrun, but..." or "I would play Shadowrun, but..." and that needed to be addressed. It's one thing to come to someplace like Dumpshock, but the people who read and post on Dumpshock already play Shadowrun. Most have managed to get their heads at least partially around SR3's rules. They own many of the books. What about the person who has heard of Shadowrun, but has never read the rules and doesn't own any of the books yet? We want him or her to play also. It's not just a matter of sales (though if we can get those people who own no Shadowrun books to buy some, that's certainly a good thing), but it's about the game. Game designers make games for people to play them. If there's something preventing a lot of people from trying your game out, you want to fix that.

I would love to give you an absolute "YES!", Eldritch, but that's out of my hands, really. I'm just a fan and a writer. I have some influence, but ultimately the line designer tells us how the books are going to go and what will and won't be in them. So Rob would have to answer that. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
As I've said, I'm not against a new edition. I won't say that it's badly needed, but it is needed. I am, however, seeing what looks like a lot of change for the sake of change—I am, at this point, not terribly impressed by what I'm seeing of this new edition.
My direct neural interface to Rob's brain is on the fritz lately, so I can't tell you what was running through his mind at the time of the decision

Well then, you should get that repaired. I'm terribly disappointed in you for letting the integrity of the FanPro Hive be compromised grinbig.gif

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012