Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power of the Awakend
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
apple
At least on german SR-boards are a lot of controversial discussions about the power of awakened characters (Schamans, Hermetics, Adepts) => "They are broken" vs "No, they are not".

Personally (while playing an hermetic mage) I would like to see some clarifications and perhaps some reduction of the powerlevel or of the possibilities of awakened characters.

=> astral perception and astral projection
=> possibilities of divination magic (donīt know the english name for "Wahrnehmungszauber")
=> better strictly mundane defense possibilities against magic
etc.

Now, is there anything planned for SR4 and or Street Magic? Or will we get the same magic system with the same possibilities (expanded metamagic etc, few limitations etc)?

SYL
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (apple)
At least on german SR-boards are a lot of controversial discussion about the power of awakened characters (Schamans, Hermetics, Adepts) => "They are broken" vs "No, they are not".

Personally (while playing an hermetic mage) I would like to see some clarifications and perhaps some reduction of the powerlevel or of the possibilities of awakened characters.

=> astral perception and astral projection
=> possibilities of divination magic (donīt know the english name for "Wahrnehmungszauber")
=> better strictly mundane defense possibilities against magic

Now, is there anything planned for SR4 and or Street Magic?

SYL

differences between astral perception and astral projection are lined out in the magic section of the main book in SR3, astral perception is that you only see the astral world and anything that is astrally projecting but while viewing you are dual natured and visible to astrally projecting mages and shamans, and astral spirits and elementals, astrally projecting you leave your body completely and have a limited amount of time to return to your body before you are seperated and die, you are visible to anything that is in or viewing the astral realm in your direction, you are able to be attacked by anything that is dual natured or completely on the astral plane, such as spirits and elementals where as someone only viewing, the spirit or elemental has to physically manifest

divination magic is in magic in the shadows but i dont know much about other than it can only give generalizations

the only way to defend if your not a magical character is to use will power

apple
Actually Iīm very well aware of the rules. wink.gif

I am rather asking if they will change it for SR4, and if yes, how they will change it.

SYL
warrior_allanon
sorry missunderstood the question
Pthgar
Yeah, I would like to see some sort of "charm" for mundanes to use against spells.

Maybe it could reduce the force of the spell for resistance tests by the force of the "charm." Spend Karma equal to the "charm's" force to operate. Expendable, maybe. That would keep it from being totally unbalancing.
Ol' Scratch
I've always had charms in my games long before SoE and whatnot. Basically, there were two types. The first were simply "spell defense dice in a bottle" that expended themselves the first time they came across a spell of a certain spell category or specific spell. The second was sort of a focus that allowed the creator to protect the target with spell defense even if they were well out of LoS, essentially using the same connection a magician has with protecting their ward.

The charms we have in the game now make very little sense to me, though. So I really hope they get changed or at least renamed (to "good luck charms" at the very least) in the new edition.
apple
Well ... I would prefer more mundane defense possibilities, wich can be mass produced like FABs and have not to be made by hand like charms or foci.

SYL
Ol' Scratch
I'm not saying there shouldn't be mundane defenses as well. I just always thought having charms like those in real world and fictional mythologies and stories would be nice, too.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (apple)
Well ... I would prefer more mundane defense possibilities, wich can be mass produced like FABs and have not to be made by hand like charms or foci.

SYL

Funny you should mention this. I've been coming up with exactly such a thing lately, a varient strain of FAB. I'll post it in the main Shadowrun forum.
Fortune
QUOTE (apple @ Apr 3 2005, 09:56 AM)

Why should such things be mass produced? I think such a thing should have to be hand made and enchanted, even if in batches like fetishes.
Lucyfersam
I actually wouldn't mind seeing some sort of skill mundanes can learn to increase their spell defense, maybe a skill that acts as complementary dice for resistance tests. Learning to focus your will in the right ways to combat magic, even if you can't use magic yourself. (Note, I just thought of this as I was reading this thread, so it hasn't had time to brew in my mind and determine if I really like it, but it seems like it might be a neat idea)
frostPDP
Wow. Okay, keeping in mind I started as a mage and have branched to playing about everything, let me outline what I think on this.

Take a wired 2 street sam. Nice, pretty wired two, that additional 2d6+4 initiative. Automatically the person can't roll lower than an 8 (cuz you need at least 1 reaction and you get another 1d6, duh). With just the 3d6 and +4 from wired, you can get a 22.

Your average mage gets....Well, depending on reaction, 7-9. Sometimes they'll get into the 10 or even 11 range, but usually less, unless they're geased to take boosted/wired or something.

Granted current house rules over here in nowhereland say "If you get a 22 and the other person gets a 9, you go at 22 and 12 before he goes once," in most cases all it takes to fell a mage is a good three-round burst, easily done with that 22. Street sammie with a 6 in assault rifles will win almost every time, and gods forbid it gets to the land of unarmed combat as the Adepts I'm used to seeing often do, even without deadly hands.

Now, this isn't to say that some sort of charms (Anti-fire rings, or the like) should not be used. I like the idea of a charm having a certain amount of spell pool per day to use in defense, but they should never be mass produced. Considering a mage gets...One turn, if he's lucky two....While a sam can get two easy and three or even four in rare circumstances? Come on, its a slaughter, all our poor mage has is his Manabolt and the hope to do enough damage to end things.

So yeah, a charm is nice and all, but perhaps it should be hard to obtain? At most, perhaps a powerful charm would require a focus-bonding cost as it binds itself to a "chosen" mundane?

Then again I'm not opposed to mundanes doing some sort of vision-quest or heavy martial arts training to become awakened at a slow rate via the enhancing of their essence (Everyone has an essence, right? Even if its a little candle flicker...) but that's just me smile.gif
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (frostPDP @ Apr 3 2005, 12:21 AM)

Your average mage gets....Well, depending on reaction, 7-9.  Sometimes they'll get into the 10 or even 11 range, but usually less, unless they're geased to take boosted/wired or something.

Most mages I see have + 4D6 initiative. Increase Init. +3, usually at low force, with a sustaining focus, or sometimes quickened. No reaction bonus, mind you, but still a possible 27+. Add in a Increase Reaction spell and it goes even higher.

Plus, mages quite often have a bit more than just a manabolt. Full magicians can summon spirits, there's the Init. increasing spells listed above, Armor, Imp. Invisibility, and much, much more. When considering what a full mage can bring to bear, it makes a street samurai with wired 2 and assault rifles 6 seem much less like ubar magz0r killarz.
DrJest
Oh boy, here we go again.

First, let me say that my longest running SR group, with whom I played for a number of years, never had even equal numbers of mages and mundanes. The mundanes were always in the majority.

But a couple of thoughts to bring to the table if you want to have the discussion again:

Buff-y the Mage Slayer: Spending a few extra points on your mundane's attributes can cheerfully gain body and willpower 5+. Nothing says "in your face" like watching the mage's expression when his manabolt bounces of the Will 6 samurai. Cos you know his Body's even higher.

Mages Not Invited: A lot of places worth the getting into will be warded. Without a whole lotta Masking, those focus-sustained or quickened spells are going to do something really unfortunate. Think of it like the mage's equivalent of trying to beat airport cyberscanners, only you can't flash a false ID to get by.

Down the Drain: Best way for a magus to manage drain is to keep his spells low-power - or rather, low code. If he wants any spell pool left to cover his team-mates, he can't afford to blow it on drain checks. And if he follows the advice of the person who commented (the last time I mentioned protecting his team) that he should be devoting himself to that then instead of casting spells, well, there ya go, mage isn't an issue anyway.

Drain and spirits. Shamen pay for their on-the-spot summoning ability with some interesting drain. (Force)M resisted not by Willpower but by Charisma. Getting a spirit worth the summoning can be a risky business. I know I rarely, if ever, go above Force 4 without a damned good reason.

A Fistful of Karma: It takes a lot to be a mage. Initiating is a good investment to start with, but realistically you'll cap out around grade 5 or 6 unless you're in a high-powered game. I know my original mage was a Grade 6 initiate after some 300 karma, and that was belonging to an initiating group. Where the sammies are spending their karma on skills and attributes (try manabolting that Willpower 8 sammie), the mage is spending it on spells (useful in their own right, but leaving the mage ever more reliant on the mundanes for any skill-based actions), foci, initiation... Well, I'm sure you know the list as well.

I See Magical People: Until the mage gets Masking, he's a walking target for any passing secmages looking for someone to roust. Sure it's not a big chance, but you know the one time you pass a Lone Star mage he's going to be asking for your licences. As for dual-natured watchdoggies, well, it's a GM call but I figure the hellhound's going to fry the bloke who glows in the astral first - threat recognition and all.

Geek The Mage!: Leave us not to forget the big ol' target painted on your forehead. The moment you do something ooky, every enemy with even a hint of a line of sight on you is going to be throwing lead like it's going out of fashion.

Dammit Jim, I'm A Mage, Not A Cleric!: Your team-mates expect full healing from you at every opportunity. Probably you feel obigated to provide it. Say hello to Mr. Drain, chummer. I don't care what your Willpower is, laying the mojo on a couple of metalhead sammies is going to hurt.

Of course, I'm not going to change many minds with this. Maybe I won't change any. But before all the number-crunching of "mages can never fail drain checks" turns up, I felt a little exploration of our world wouldn't hurt.
apple
@DrJest: shall I really counter everyone of your arguments? You know that they can be countered very easy? On the other side every argument can be countered very easily wink.gif

@frostPDP

First: I donīt think that it is a very good idea to make everyone awakened.

Second: the power of a mage does not come from its pure 1:1-duel situation abilities (or just the combat situation, when you only have to soak the bullets), but from its incredibly flexibility (just take astral projection or perception, detection spells) ... and still his possible high competence with various kinds of magic, while on the other side mundanes get not-so-nice drawbacks ... like the rules for cybernetic implantation in M&M.

For your example: take an invisible mage mit reflexes +3 in a sustaining focus, several elementars or one good spirit with confusion, some levitation action to get a good place and then some nice stun bolts. Or ritual sorcery. Or control manipulation spells. Or some of many other possibilities who are very effective. Just one example. There are, of course, situations where a mage have no chance.

In the end: I was just asking if there are some chances to the power of the awakened ... spin.gif
Synner
Even a couple of wards would screw up that setup and that's not even taking into account bound Spirits and Watchers on overwatch... You don't need a mage at every facility, just have a squad ready to project to several facilities from a central security base.
Grinder
The GM needs to know the rules and be creative with his magic active npcs. wink.gif
apple
Yes ... wards (made by mages) and magic active NPCs ...

to quote myself
I would prefer more mundane defense possibilities, wich can be mass produced like FABs

Add: ... which at least do not need mages at every corner. FAB-walls are ok; "protect yourself by getting your personal mage" is not what I meant. And it is not only the combat or one specific situation.

SYL
Sharaloth
QUOTE (apple)
@DrJest: shall I really counter everyone of your arguments? You know that they can be countered very easy? On the other side every argument can be countered very easily

How? I, for one, would like to see your counter-arguments, since I think Jest laid out all the downsides to magicianhood there are.

1: Will 6 or higher Sammy's are not out of the realm of possibility. In fact, any survival-conscious Sammy player will design characters to have a higher standard willpower immediately, especially if he doesn't know how good the team mage is going to be at spell defense. How do you counter this?

2: Wards are everywhere someone doesn't want you to go. And usually around exactly where you do want to go, in what way is this counterable? You want to walk an active spell through a ward, sure you can do it without masking, but you're going to alert the mage(s) that put it up to the breach in security, and have the sec forces gunning for you REAL quick.

3: Drain is a killer, a silent, deadly killer who strikes at the most inopportune moments. If you want to be using the super-incredible-overpowered mage spells, you're going to be passing out but quick, and then your team is going to be screwed for spell defense and magical support. How is this easily countered? It's a fact of game-play. ditto for the spirits.

4: Karma... Mages have been referred to as Karma Vacuums, and it's accurate. They need Karma for everything, and there's never enough to do what they want. Between the spells, foci, and initiations just to keep up, there's barely enough left to raise that sorcery skill in the hopes of defeating ever more powerful enemies, or raising willpower to counter the staggering drain codes. Heaven forbid they summon an Ally spirit... The counter for this is... what? that Mages earn more Karma? They don't. That they're already powerful enough as it is? Then why are they so desperate for advancement? I don't see where you're coming from here.

5: Geek the Mage. Old SR adage that is probably the best idea you can have in a combat situation. Mages are dangerous, every runner knows that, as do the people on the other side. The moment the mojo starts flying, the mages start becoming targets too important not to shoot. Every mage character has to live with the idea that they will be the top kill priority in any bad situation, and that the sammies won't always be there to play the meat sheild. And the counter is... that mages are already powerful enough to shrug off the hail of bullets coming their way? Since when? Even with a decent force Armor spell on, they're likely to run up against attacks that have way more successes than they have body to resist. Even at TN 2 a body 3 mage is going to get creamed by a mook with an Ares Predator and 6 successes on his attack roll. Remember, the mook gets two shots, and there's usually more than one mook, so that combat pool is going to run out very, very fast.

6: Walking band aids. Yeah, magicians often get treated this way, because that's what a mage with a Heal spell is. Sure, it might only be good for a couple boxes on the chromed-out street sam, but that's usually enough to make the difference. When healing the cyberware-clean they can have someone go from serious to nothing in twenty seconds. The drain's a problem, yeah, but this one I can actually see being fairly easy to counter. The Drain isn't affected by the essence of the target, only the spellcasting TN, so a force 6 Heal still only has a drain TN of 3, whether it's cast on the cyber and bio free Adept, or the barely human Samurai. everything up to a Serious wound shouldn't be much of a problem for even a starting magician.

I'm not trying to make a personal attack or anything, but you stated that you can easily counter everything Jest said, then proceeded to... not counter anything jest said. I'd like to see your reasoning.
apple
I am not saying that DrJest is incorrect or that there arenīt any drawback. And I am very well aware that my arguments can be countered, too (beginning with the interpretation of the game world)

But letīs start one by one:

The mundanes were always in the majority.

Often, but not always in my known groups ... and we are not using rules like cyberimplantation (M&M).

Buff-y the Mage Slayer: Spending a few extra points on your mundane's attributes

Thats of course absolutely correct. However not every NPC will have such very well trained attributes and while a samurai may have a willpower of 6, a good mage can have more than 12 dices for attacking with a spell if he wants. He can even do that far more subtle than your sam with the assault rifle.

Mages Not Invited: A lot of places worth the getting into will be warded. Without a

Wards can be detected by astral perception (a trivial action by current rules) and at least sustaining focus can be easily switched off. And of course a good mage is able to know or at least to estimate where a security mage would put up wards.

Down the Drain: Best way for a magus to manage drain is to keep his spells low-

A stunbolt with 6S has a drain of 2S ... with willpower 4+ and some spellpool points not a great problem. Spellpool allocation for spell defense is only of concern if there is an enemy mage ... and enemy mages are not your average corp-soldier. Even with total allocation to spell defense (of course sometimes necessary) there are a lot of spells with low drain ... and very nice results. Think detection magic. Think levitate. Think healing (moderate damage, not half dead sams). Think stunbolt. Think of a lot of very useful spells for many situations. And they are all in the head of the mage ...

Drain and spirits. Shamen pay for their on-the-spot summoning ability with some

Drain for hermetics is of almost no concern, when the elementals are summoned during the runs, during downtime. Drain for shamans is of concern ... however with so nice ghost powers like conceal or confusion there is almost no need for spirits with a force of 5 or greater.

A Fistful of Karma: It takes a lot to be a mage. Initiating is a good

Of course it takes a lot of Karma to be a mage ... however you are more than well rewarded for every single Karma point. I agree, that grade 4-6 is the more realistic level of high-end-shadow-mages ... but:

If you accept your willpower 8 sammie, wich is clearly very exceptional (and not every player wants to spend 40+ Karma for exceptional attributes), you have to accept exceptional mages with extremely high skill levels or initiate ratings, too.

And of course the mage is in no way forced to spend its Karma only for magic things. With often very nice ratings in charisma and intelligence he can be a good face or a good thief. And think of the possibilities a clever mage-player can do with 40 Karma (that eight force 5 spells ) while the sam gets 2 additional dices (and one point in combat pool and reaction). BTW the difference between TN 6 and 8 is not that great. Another example: increasing a skill from 5 to 6 costs 7 Karma ... enough for a high level spell or 2 minor level spells. The sam gets one dice ... the mage completely new possibilities.

And yes, going toe-to-toe with a good sammie in a 1:1-duell-situation is often a bad idea.

I See Magical People: Until the mage gets Masking, he's a walking target for any

Fortunately security mages ascensing everyone are not the norm ... at least not in normal security areas. Being magical is nothing illegal and can be justified with a lot of fakes IDs. And with magic not being illegal, the "hellhound is blasting everything magical away" a little bit problematic. I agree, however, that magic IDs (or magic auras) can and will draw more suspicion. Not that the sam in the age of MADs, dection spells like "find object(firearms)" etc wouldnīt have the same problems.

Geek The Mage!: Leave us not to forget the big ol' target painted on your

Unfortunately magic is not that obvious, especially mana spells, especially if used by a clever player who waits until the victim is distracted. Once again, there are a lot of situations, where magic is not so subtle ... combat may be one of them, but on the other side magic is highly distracting, if you want do watch every opponent. Never forget that mages can wear heavy amour and assault rifles too.

Dammit Jim, I'm A Mage, Not A Cleric!: Your team-mates expect full

They do? Well the Essence-1-Bioindex-4 Sam in my group certainly not. And just for the note: a high target number does not increase the drain.

going to be at spell defense. How do you counter this?

I didnīt intend to counter willpower 6. wink.gif

2: Wards are everywhere someone doesn't want you to go. And usually around

Wards are not everywhere ... they depend on the security budget, on the quality and avaibility of the mage. At least in my interpretation of the game world there are a lot more people who wants to have a ward (or two ... or better a dozen one) than mages able to provide them. Of course wards can be countered by initiates with masking (going synchrony with the wards aura). Personally Iīve the opinion that quickened spells are the most stupid thing a runner-mage can do.

3: Drain is a killer, a silent, deadly killer who strikes at the most inopportune

Not in my experience, if you can resist casting fireballs at 6D. wink.gif

moments. If you want to be using the super-incredible-overpowered mage spells,

like a Levitate 3? A stunbolt 6S? A sterelize 1? A "detect object (firearms)" 3 with increased range and personal modifier?

4: Karma... Mages have been referred to as Karma Vacuums, and it's accurate. They need Karma for everything, and there's never enough to do what they want.

Wouldnīt you agree, that every charactar can be karma vaccuums? The sam increasing his attributes to exceptional levels? The thief his intrusion skills? Btw: the mage can use only a handful of low level spells and put the greater part of his Karma into skills and attributes too. That can be one hell of a combination if you are playing a magical thief for example. Mages are not forced to put their entire Karma into new magical goodies. My hermetic chaos fire mage is a good mage with some force 1 to 6 spells, some low level foci, grade 2 initiation and some nice intrusion and social skills.

And the counter is... that mages are already powerful enough to shrug off the hail

Protective Magic. Illusion magic. Spirits. Good combat skills and attributes (yes, they can have that, too). Not so obvious magic.

have body to resist. Even at TN 2 a body 3 mage is going to get creamed by a mook with an Ares Predator and 6 successes on his attack roll

And a body 6 mage with invisibility 6? You see, some situations can be countered very easily. Of course you can counter my counter with background count, wards, enemy mages etc.

6: Walking band aids. Yeah, magicians often get treated this way, because that's what a mage with a Heal spell is. Sure, it might only be good for a couple boxes on the chromed-out street sam, but that's usually enough to make the difference.

In this cases my mage shyly recommend using his savior medkit and his education in first aid ...

I'm not trying to make a personal attack or anything, but you stated that you can easily counter everything Jest said, then proceeded to... not counter anything jest said. I'd like to see your reasoning.

Have these things never been discussed on dumpshock before? I think my arguments are not really new, or? Neither are yours or DrJests. No personal attack, of course ... arguments tend to be well knows after the third or forth time they arise from the ashes of the previous discussion). wink.gif

Now, donīt get me wrong: I do not belong to the "mages are broken"-faction. There are a lot of possible counters for magical powers (DrJest mentioned some), like background count etc.

However it would be nice, if the mundanes could protect them a little bit better againgst magical possibilietes WITHOUT the help of a wage mage ... and if things like astral perception/projection and the "I know everything"-detection spells get a little bit more worse, I wouldnīt say no ... from a player and a game master perspective.

And another point: Iīm not a native english speaker, so please be patient with my errors ... Iīll try to improve.

SYL
frostPDP
Same. Yeah, I tend to think in my more noobish (well I am! LOL) terms of "Things I've seen happen." My mage being cornered by her teammate adept who would have popped her with deadly hands D is the sort of case I'm worried about. Plus the one time I tried improved reflexes whatever, I wound up missing at TN 4. That reallllly hurt, to eat the buisness end of a Citymaster as my anti-vehicle rocket flies past it.

And not everyone is awakened. There are processes (And they're karma-eaters, let me tell you, so they aren't realllly suitable for everone) to obtain points of magic. Think initiation for each point, so grade 1 is one point...Etc etc...Yeah that eats the karma quick. It would have a huge roleplaying component to it, though - Something like seeking out and finding a legendary martial arts master.

Furthermore as for spirits; they're great if you're going to have a war in the barrens where you can have a nice little army of glowing, magical fireflies. Once you walk into downtown Seattle, somehow I think you're going to find the Star lining up reallly quick when the summonings go down. Its the same reason that the character we let be quadrapalegic with a small mech to walk around in became the worst GM device ever - The Metroplex Guard would show up if he went anywhere a cop might see him.

Oh, full mages can bring quite a bit to bear in the right circumstances, but there's two things often forgotten. 1: Drain can really mess someone up, essentially in a Madness-Combat sort of way, and 2: What can be brought to bear is paid for with that A priority/30 build points. If the idea is parity, there's a reason why street sams are always going to start with more money and obtain more useful karma than mages ever will, and that's the balancing act.

Especially when you have a grade 1 adept who kills old ladies for fun threatening your death. Yeah, thats never fun when you can sense "PK fest" coming up.
apple
, somehow I think you're going to find the Star lining up reallly quick when the summonings go down

Same to a lot of other characters with assault rifles or grenade launcher. On the other side: even in Downtown AAA, a house spirit or an air elemental can be subtle.

and obtain more useful karma than mages ever will, and that's the balancing act.

More useful karma? Tell me: why and when do the sam geht more karma than the mage?

Especially when you have a grade 1 adept who kills old ladies for fun threatening your death. Yeah, thats never fun when you can sense "PK fest" coming up.

Honestly: I do not unterstand what you want to say with that?

SYL
RunnerPaul
My problem with wards is that they're a perimeter defense only. I'd love to see a technique where an awakened or group of awakened would be able to claim "scanctum" over an area, giving it both a ward-like perimeter defense, and placing limits on the kind of magical activity a random awakened inside the area/perimeter is capable of. I know I could achieve that kind of effect by using some of the more exotic metamagical techniques to establish an aspected background count, but I was hoping for something as "entry-level" as warding itself.

If generating magical scanctum over an area didn't have much more in the way of requirements that normal warding did, then it'd be concivable that you could have magical security companies that employed barely-awakeneds such as minor adepts to go around establishing low level sanctums for the general populace. It doesn't solve the "Hire a mage to protect you from a mage" issue, but I think it'd still help reign in some of the worst abuses.
frostPDP
In the cover of night, its not terribly hard to conceal a grenade launcher until you are actually going to use it, whereas most spirits will be easy prey to anyone who you'd have to bring that much firepower against. That old adage is still strong, "Once you've had to fire a gun things have already gone wrong."

By "useful" karma I mean "gee, I'm spending 15 points to initiate" as opposed to "What skills do I want to raise?" I don't usually wind up using foci (cuz they can get broken prettty easy) so I don't spend most of my points, but with all the runs I've done I'm yet to initiate because one character took a bullet to the eye and I need to fix him first while the other who was initiation-level wound up getting captured by the Tir then rescued by a free spirit who ate his 18 karma as a down payment for the saving. (Ironically, the friendly fox wanted to hand him a focus which was more costly to bind than the karma taken itself...)

And as my signature quote gives away, my gaming groups never go according to plan. One of our players tends to RP his characters as sociopathic evil sorts who do whatever they want and kill whoever gets in their way. So when the words "Player-Kill fest" come up, we think of him and how he might put us six feet under.
apple

In the cover of night, its not terribly hard to conceal a grenade launcher until you are actually going to use it, whereas most spirits will be easy prey to anyone who you'd have to bring that much firepower against.

Using the grenade launcher is normally loud ... a force 6 is easy prey? A concealed house spirit using confusion is easy prey? How?

That old adage is still strong, "Once you've had to fire a gun things have already gone wrong."

Esspecially for Wetwork, Sabotage or combat-groups (several street sams etc) ... SR is more than just infiltration.

By "useful" karma I mean "gee, I'm spending 15 points to initiate" as opposed to "What skills do I want to raise?"

And if i spend the 15 karma for spells? Spells like Heal, Invisibility, Levitate, Stun Bolt etc? Is that "useful" karma?

SYL
frostPDP
Yeah I definitely mis-typed.

By "easy prey" I mean easily detected. Its not about the use itself but its about the approach. If you can approach undetected you can get out without too much trouble. If you broadcast your presence then you get a lot more flak.

And yeah, spending points on spells is "useful" in my book - To bond a focus is a huge cost.

Wetwork can be done mostly in a silenced way (Just slit a throat) and other missions of course require firepower, but you still want to get in quietly.
Cain
Thats of course absolutely correct. However not every NPC will have such very well trained attributes and while a samurai may have a willpower of 6, a good mage can have more than 12 dices for attacking with a spell if he wants. He can even do that far more subtle than your sam with the assault rifle.

The average Joe on the street has a Willpower of 3, which means he'll be easy prey for the mage, true enough. But the Sammie, with potentially over 15 dice to throw into a silenced pistol attack, will be going against a TN of 2. *And*, that TN will remain the same versus opponents with higher Willpower and Body.

Also, the mage only gets one shot per action. The sammie gets two, and doesn't risk drain.

Wards can be detected by astral perception (a trivial action by current rules) and at least sustaining focus can be easily switched off.

But not easily switched back on again. Increased Reflexes at 1 still has a 4D drain code. If there's a lot of wards, and you're recasting the spell every time you pass through one, you're going to be taking drain very quickly.

And of course the mage is in no way forced to spend its Karma only for magic things. With often very nice ratings in charisma and intelligence he can be a good face or a good thief.

At the cost of letting his magical skills stagnate. And since the challenge level of the game will also be rising, that will leave them at a magical disadvantage.

Unfortunately magic is not that obvious, especially mana spells, especially if used by a clever player who waits until the victim is distracted. Once again, there are a lot of situations, where magic is not so subtle ...

The TN to notice a spell being cast is 4 + Magic - Force, plus other modifiers listed on p 162, BBB. So, in the case of that Force 6 Stunbolt, the TN to notice the spell is 4, 2 if it's a shaman. It's compareable to the TN to notice a single gunshot (TN 4), but it doesn't get lowered based on the sammie's subtype.

A "detect object (firearms)" 3 with increased range and personal modifier?

...would be utterly useless. A firearm has a OR of 8-10, and if the Force of a spell isn't at least half the OR, it can't affect it.

Wouldnīt you agree, that every charactar can be karma vaccuums? The sam increasing his attributes to exceptional levels? The thief his intrusion skills?

I'm playing 2 characters in Shadowrun Missions: One mage, and one troll street sam. The mage is out of karma. The troll has yet to spend any. The mage is also out of money, because she keeps running up huge hospital bills.

And a body 6 mage with invisibility 6? You see, some situations can be countered very easily. Of course you can counter my counter with background count, wards, enemy mages etc.

Actually, how about an ultrasound sight? Body 6 mages are going to be rare, but even allowing for that, a burst from an ultrasound and smartlink equipped gun is going to ruin their day.

Now, donīt get me wrong: I do not belong to the "mages are broken"-faction. There are a lot of possible counters for magical powers (DrJest mentioned some), like background count etc.

However it would be nice, if the mundanes could protect them a little bit better againgst magical possibilietes WITHOUT the help of a wage mage

Actually, it's not so bad. Smoke grenades will mess up a mages line-of-sight pretty quickly, making those spells harder (if not impossible) to get off. Smart tactics can even the odds against anyone.
lacemaker
I'm of the "mage is broken" faction. Not irredeemably broken, but broken to the extent that I'd never play anything else if I was worried about wielding a lot of influence in the group's actions.

Silly arguments why the mage is not broken:
1) karma sink: yes the mage can spend karma to improve their magic. Key word obviously being "can". They "can" also spend karma in the same way as everyone else to improve their skills, attributes et al. Since their starting skills and stats will tend to be lower, they'll probably get more bang for their buck, but even if that isn't true, adding an extra option you can chose to spend karma on inherently makes that type of character better - not worse. If spending on stats is so much better than initiating, then do it. That goes double for a diminishing marginal returns system like shadowrun, where spread karma around will tend to be much, much better value.
"Leting their magical talents stagnate" is the sort of thing that ought to be reflected in the rules but isn't.

2) if the samurai has a gun pointed at the mage and has wired reflexes and the mage doesn't then the mage is, like, totally dead: By this standard, deckers really, really suck, because none of the skills and abilities he gets for chosing to be a decker (as opposed to stuff he could do with leftover build points/money) help him at all in this situation (or not under the current rules anyway). The point about mages is that they're handed an absolutely incredibly versatile package of benefits, and that they're also reasonably solid in a combat situation just on the basis of their package of magic. Astral projection alone, when used creatively, is huge benefit, even with the removal of grounding. The fact that it's basically an aferthought relative to the mages' key talents of sorcery and conjuring makes the character type feel unbalanced to me.

3) Use more mages/geek the mage first.
These work, up to a point, but don't address the basic complaint about overpowered character types (in any system): that they become the focus of the campaign. If every opponent is trying desperately to limit the mage and is busy installing expensive magical security to deal with the mage, then the mage is still an overpowered character, just one you happen to have been able to stop. It's like someone playing magneto in an x-men campaign (I'm assuming we're mostly nerdy enough to follow that reference) - you can make everyone's guns and bullets and fortresses out of ceramics and have everyone gang open on magneto, and he would be effectively restricted. He'd still be the most powerful character in the game though. It's for this reason I'm not all that taken with the idea that magic should be able to sell magical protection more easily.

Key problems/suggested solutions:
Cost: A great deal of what I complain about can be resolved just by making a mage a little more expensive in terms of priorities/build points. Make the skill/attribute/resource gulf a little wider and you don't have such a problem. I know that I can houserule this, and I do, but we're discussing the canon game from a critical perspective, so my comments on how canon ought to be changed are relevant (though I'm hoping "just houserule it then" as a catchall response is on the way out)

Mundane exclusivity: Modifying cost isn't quite enough, if only because character balancing also requires that characters all have some kind of cool stuff to call their own. The trouble with SR mages, as I see it, is that they've been allowed to encroach on all the turf that makes non-decking non-rigged mundanes special. The "sammy goes first" thing is a great example. Back before my players started twinking spell locks this was true and was a huge balancing factor - Sammy's were still kinda one-trick-ponies, but at least they went first and more often. Throw in the automatic twinked increase reaction focus that every single mage takes and that distinction disappears. Sammy might be more fast, on average, but speed is removed from the realm of specifically mundane advantages.
The ability to geas magic loss (as opposed to making a geas a penalty for magic loss) did the same - suddenly things like smartgun links, which meant that a sammy would shoot better, always, become the province of mages too, as do other cheap boosts like senseware. And finally, mages can access any and all of the none cyber tech purportedly brought in to level the playing field. The only limitation on mages using the big guns, the heaviest armour, the smartest surviellence gear, is them having the requisite skills - that's not enough to make a mundane feel exciting.

Response: I'm not in favour of more tech which can affect magic, it achieves the right result, but just doesn't fit the flavour of the SR universe as I see it. Rather, I think that if tech can't touch magic, magic ought to struggle more dealing with tech. These don't need to be radical changes, but small things like allowing technologically intensive areas to generate background counts solely on that basis, linking spell resistence to essence (inversley obviously) and/or jacking object resistence ratings for highly processed items (high than they currently are) would help a great deal, both practically and in allowing mundanes an area that they can see as reserved for themselves.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (apple @ Apr 3 2005, 06:44 PM)

Buff-y the Mage Slayer: Spending a few extra points on your mundane's attributes

Correct not every NPC will have such good attributes, however you only need to get stung just once when casting something at a target with high willpower, thats your action wasted and more dice needed if you intend to repeat it.

Down the Drain: Best way for a magus to manage drain is to keep his spells low-

A stunbolt with 6S has a drain of 2S ... with willpower 4+ and some spellpool points not a great problem.

Most players i know will still want to be throwing around 7-8 dice for such a drain test just to be such that don't get unlucky. Assuming you don't have a Trauma Damper when just willpower 6 will be fine, just.

I would reply to the rest but there was a something that made me think you wouldn't really listen.

I got the same feeling when i asked my last GM why they play force drain.
DrJest
We're up to SR3. The relative power of mages hasn't changed appreciably in that time.

I'm thinking... maybe there's a reason? biggrin.gif
apple
But the Sammie, with potentially over 15 dice to throw into a silenced pistol attack, will be going against a TN of 2.  *And*, that TN will remain the same versus opponents with higher Willpower and Body. 

We can continue to invent hundres of situations, where the sammie wouldnīt have 15 dices and a TN of 2 and where the mage has incredible advantages. wink.gif

But not easily switched back on again.  Increased Reflexes at 1 still has a 4D drain code. 

2T with the personal modifier ...

...would be utterly useless.  A firearm has a OR of 8-10, and if the Force of a spell isn't at least half the OR, it can't affect it. 

As per FAQ/Errata the OR-rules doesnīt apply in this case (because the firearm is not the direct target of the spell (this would be the person who gets this new sense)). Or, if you insist: Force 4 or 5. Drain is something aroung 3 or 4M at max.

The mage is also out of money, because she keeps running up huge hospital bills. 

Style of play? Our troll was often half dead and the mage has its 500 000 Ĩ (after several years of play) to spare. Last session: my mage light damage, the sam serious damage. wink.gif

Actually, how about an ultrasound sight?  Body 6 mages are

How about the spell "silence" (on german: "Stille")?

Actually, it's not so bad.  Smoke grenades will mess up a mages line-of-sight

There are a lot more situations than just combat.

SYL
apple

Correct not every NPC will have such good attributes, however you only need to get stung just once when casting something at a target with high willpower, thats your action wasted and more dice needed if you intend to repeat it.

And your point? I didnīt say that this argument of DrJest is wrong. High Attributes help, of course ... just like high TNs for the sam to hit. But the mage has still certain chance to overcome high attributes (like willpower for the stunbolt) because he can pump much more dices into the spell.

I would reply to the rest but there was a something that made me think you wouldn't really listen.

Oh my ... spin.gif

I got the same feeling when i asked my last GM why they play force drain.

Force drain is what?

SYL
Vuron
Fixing the a handful of spells will go a long way towards making high end mages a lot less dominating of game play. Some things that come to mind are levitation (which basically ends up being flying at really fast speeds) and the near inevitable increased reflexes spell lock combo.
DrJest
Force drain is what?

It's a variation on standard drain rules. Typical drain is (Force/2)X. The variant is (Force)X. It's intended to reduce the power and presence of magic in a game, invoking more of a "low-magic" feel."

So a 7M stunbolt, which under normal rules would have a 2M drain code, gets a 6M drain code instead.

It doesn't often get played because it hamstrings mages a little too much. Unfortunately there's no easy happy medium.
apple
Ah ok ... yes, lovely rule ... if you want to criple the spellcaster. Not my favorite.

SYL
DrJest
QUOTE (Vuron)
Fixing the a handful of spells will go a long way towards making high end mages a lot less dominating of game play. Some things that come to mind are levitation (which basically ends up being flying at really fast speeds) and the near inevitable increased reflexes spell lock combo.

I'd certainly be wary of crippling a mage's reflexes too badly. A focus-sustained reflex spell is already the only kind of initiative enhancer that can be attacked independently of the target, albeit only by someone with magical capability themselves (be it personally or via spirits). I'm not too worried about levitation; a locked levitation spell is a walking (flying) invite to trouble anyway, since everyone can see the flying guy and will reasonably assume he's a mage (maybe it's just me, but I'd make it difficult for someone with locked levitation to walk in an apparently "normal" fashion). And any self-sustained spell is self-correcting because of the TN mods. Focus addiction offsets the risk of mages wandering around with all their stats jacked up.

One other point . Mages are - or can be - flexible, I'll give you that, but the common thing to be forgotten is that they can't do everything at once.
apple
Ah yes, the lovely medium: I love background count and I encourage every GM who thinks "mages are broken" to use background count in a very strict and hard interpretation.

SYL
Cain
We can continue to invent hundres of situations, where the sammie wouldnīt have 15 dices and a TN of 2 and where the mage has incredible advantages. wink.gif

Exactly. I'd wager we'd come about even. Which means the mages don't have an overall advantage, just an advantage in specialized areas. Which in turn means they're not broken, or even seriously overpowered.
2T with the personal modifier ...

Which still takes 8 successes to soak. Given that most mages will have Willpower 6, he can only expect 5 successes with willpower alone. He'd need to spend 4 dice from his spell pool, which is a lot-- most mages will only start with a spell pool of 6. That means he won't have much spell pool to help with other actions later in the round.

Besides which, all you have to do is disallow the personal variant. Bingo, problem solved.

Style of play? Our troll was often half dead and the mage has its 500 000 Ĩ (after several years of play) to spare.

Standard Shadowrun Missions, which aren't super-combat-heavy. It's just that my little girl mage has a whopping body of 2, while the troll is running around with 16 Damage resistance dice. It takes her a long time to heal, and you have to pay for a High lifestyle to heal a Serious wound. Her hospital bills have eaten most of her income; all the troll's spent cash on is replacing spent ammo.

How about the spell "silence" (on german: "Stille")?

That's effective against ultrasound vision, but only raises the modifiers by (Force) against an ultrasound sight. And for this to be effective, the mage would have to be sustaining two spells, for a total of +4 to all actions. He won't be capable of doing much of anything with those penalties.

There are a lot more situations than just combat.

So? Smart tactics still apply. Use vidscreens and intercoms instead of windows. Set buildings with lots of corners. Disrupt a mage's LOS, and their abilites become sharply limited.

There's lots of things mundanes can do to offset a mage's advantages. Smart tactics and common sense can be a big equalizer.
apple

Which in turn means they're not broken, or even seriously overpowered. 

Who said that? I didnīt. And I didnīt start with specific (combat) situations as a base for discussions. wink.gif

That means he won't have much spell pool to help with other actions later in the round. 

There the above mentioned sustaining focus comes in.

Besides which, all you have to do is disallow the personal variant.  Bingo, problem solved. 

I am not talking about house rulings. I can do a lot of things to push back or to empower characters.

It's just that my little girl mage has a whopping body of 2,

Hm, one of my mages started with body 5 or 6 (IIRC). Other mage-characters I know do not tend to stay in the first line if combat happens. Style of play.

And yes, trolls are better at soaking damage.

He won't be capable of doing much of anything with those penalties. 

And? I only wanted to show how easy the "US-Sight"-Argument can be countered. I could also mention the edge "concentration", sustaining foci, perhaps even levitation in a sustaining focus etc.

So?  Smart tactics still apply.  Use vidscreens and intercoms instead of windows.  Set buildings with lots of corners.  Disrupt a mage's LOS, and their abilites become sharply limited. 

And again, it is not only combat situations (and LOS-combat spells). Tell me how to defend as a mundane against astral perception? What has LOS to do with detection spells, with invisibility, with levitate, with astral projection, with dozens of other magical applications where you do not have to see your target.

It is not only combat situations or where the security advisor have lot of mages for magical protection, it is, at least for me, the overall incredible flexibility of mages, combined with the ability to be very good in almost every situation, maybe except rigging and decking.

And just to be sure: I do not ask for crippling mages ... I ask for better mundane protection possibilities against magic and astral enemies and for a small reduction of magical possibilities (especially astral perception/projection). And I do not ask for house rules.

There's lots of things mundanes can do to offset a mage's advantages.  Smart tactics and common sense can be a big equalizer.

Of course. However I (and lots of people I know) have the feeling that the mage have, compared to reasonable tactics and believable common sense, a little too much advantages ... or other way around: that mundanes have a little to much disadvantages, both in a world-view and in a character-view.

SYL
DragginSPADE
I'm very time-limited right now, so I'm unable to read the whole thread and follow all the arguments. I'd just like to go on record as saying I agree 100% with DrJest's first post, listing the reasons why a magician is not overpowered.

If the GM understands the magic system, then keeping a magican from becoming broken is very easy. In my group it starts by making players work to find/make their spell formulas or teachers. Also, given how expensive even simple foci are, characters with a dozen different enhancement spells locked onto themselves has just never been a problem. That's before I ever set a ward in front of them to sneak their sustained spells through.

Basically, the current system works well. I hope they maintain the same balance in SR4. Hopefully I'll be able to respond more on the weekend.
Rev
QUOTE (DrJest @ Apr 4 2005, 10:16 AM)
We're up to SR3. The relative power of mages hasn't changed appreciably in that time.

I think it changed quite a bit during sr3 to tilt the balance toward magicians:

Magicians gained the ridicuously good bioware ruling (meaning that they could have about half as much augmentation as a sam without loosing enough magic (magic above 6 isn't nearly as usefull, and less so as it increases) to matter with 2 initiations.

Cyberware and bioware gained the massive social and healing penalties.

Cyber & bioware gained all the stress rules.

Bioware became far more limited (from the broken rule in sr2 where you could have body bioware without penalty) for mundanes.

Weapon skills were split up severely limiting weapon choice by all charachters, but mages usually don't care much.

Low force spells became vastly better because of changes to magic.

The initiative system was reworked severely reducing the advantage of high initiative.

What did they loose? Mainly spell locks & getting all metamagics on first initiation. The grounding thing is pretty much a wash.

Still if you pay a ton more than the books reccomend it is balanced well enough.
apple
Mot to mention the cybernetic implantation rules, SOTA-rules etc.

on the other side: background count, kill the mage first etc.

SYL
Rev
Killing the mage first was often wise in sr2 & background count existed in sr2.
Cain
There the above mentioned sustaining focus comes in.

But the point was, the mage can't keep turning his focus on and off, without risking some serious drain.
I am not talking about house rulings. I can do a lot of things to push back or to empower characters.

If you want to get technical, Personal variant-spells are an optional rule. It's not a house-rule to disallow them.

I only wanted to show how easy the "US-Sight"-Argument can be countered. I could also mention the edge "concentration", sustaining foci, perhaps even levitation in a sustaining focus etc.

How many mages are packing a silence spell, and have allocated a sustaining focus to it? Edges and flaws are optional as well, so you're free to disallow any you think are broken.

An ultrasound sight neatly counters invisibility, and most mages won't be packing a high-force silence spell to counter it. You keep talking about some ubermage, who has every spell in the book at some ungodly level, with sustaining foci for all of them! No wonder why you think mages are broken, if you think every one is like that!

Just because a mage *can* learn every spell doesn't mean he will be able to. Just like a sammie *can* have Delta MBW 4, that doesn't mean we should consider all sammies as having it.

Tell me how to defend as a mundane against astral perception? What has LOS to do with detection spells, with invisibility, with levitate, with astral projection, with dozens of other magical applications where you do not have to see your target.

You defend against astral perception just like you defend against normal perception-- don't get spotted in the first place. Detection spells are resisted by their target, so their usefulness is more limited than you may realize. Simple secuirty measures like pressure pads and locked doors reduce the usefulness of invisibility, and ultrasound completely negates it. Levitating people are easier to spot, and can be targeted with air-to-air munitions.

I could go on, but I think you get my point. None of a mages advantages cannot be countered if you're smart about it.

Of course. However I (and lots of people I know) have the feeling that the mage have, compared to reasonable tactics and believable common sense, a little too much advantages ... or other way around: that mundanes have a little to much disadvantages, both in a world-view and in a character-view.

In my experience, mages are very rich, roleplay-wise. And that richness means it's easier to concieve of them as super-specialists. However, that doesn't mean a mundane can be at least as good as they are, if not better. (And that's not including adepts, who are the consumate specialists.)

The problem is that when people realize that mages can be powerful in many different specialized ways, they automatically assume that they must *be* that powerful in *all* those areas. In actuality, a mage who specializes in one area will suffer in others-- this is also true for everyone else.
apple

But the point was, the mage can't keep turning his focus on and off, without risking some serious drain. 

That may be true, however if he doesnīt fill the sustaining focus right in the middle of a combat turn, he has his spell pool. And with a little planing he does evade combat when he is passing through a wand. Then even 2D-Drain becomes manageable.

If you want to get technical, Personal variant-spells are an optional rule.  It's not a house-rule to disallow them. 

Personal spells are official modifiers in the spell design rules in MitS.

How many mages are packing a silence spell, and have allocated a sustaining focus to it?

Perhaps the one who wants to slip past ultrasonic detection?

Edges and flaws are optional as well, so you're free to disallow any you think are broken. 

Does this really change to fact that there are several official things who gives a mage some really neat advantages ... like the ability to uphold several spells?

You keep talking about some ubermage, who has every spell in the book at some ungodly level, with sustaining foci for all of them! 

No, I definitely do not: I talk about a mage with several force 5+ spells ( perhaps stunbolt, invisibility, control thought, silence etc), several minor spells (heal levitate, some detection spells, etc) in the range von 1-4, some official edges like concentration, some minor sustaining foci and of course the use of the official spell design/modification rules (like exclusive or personal modifier). All usable at character generation or after some karma. I talk about less than 200 karma, perhaps even less than 100 karma. I can add high level sustaining foci later in the game.

You defend against astral perception just like you defend against normal perception-- don't get spotted in the first place. 

Actually I am talking more about "askennen" (donīt know the english word for the ability), where you scan the soul of a living being to get informations (essence, feelings etc), where mages at least can try to mask themselves in some ways.

And, of course: how to you defend yourself with mundane methods (I accept things like FABs as mundane) against astral projection (especially if you have to consider the price (pointing out to FAV/living-wall in MitS))?

Detection spells are resisted by their target,

Only detection spells who are scanning living targets are resisted ... spells like detect object (firearms) or detect object (security electronics) are not resisted. After the FAQ even the OR does not apply to these kind of spells.

Simple secuirty measures like pressure pads and locked doors reduce the usefulness of invisibility,

Again: a sustaining focus with levitate 1 (and donīt tell me thats something ubermagic) and some skills in electronic/BR comes in handy. BTW: this security devices stops everyone ... at least the mage have his spells for trying to bypass them.

Levitating people are easier to spot,

Are they? What if they are just flying some inches/centimeters above the ground to overcome things like touch pads? What if they fly just when necessary like hoping over the 5m high wall or levitating to the third floor etc?

I could go on, but I think you get my point.  None of a mages advantages cannot be countered if you're smart about it. 

Of course I get your point. And I hope you get my point: every anti-magic-tactic can be countered, too. It is like ECM vs ECCM.

I think every argument of your "side" and of my "side" has been brought up before (at least for my part) and of course both our styles of play are different. I played my 350-karma samurai in several groups for years, I began to play my mage some 110 karma ago, in several different groups, too ... and for my part (and for the part of several of my co-players/GMs) Mundanes have more problems while the mages have more possibilities on the long run.

Your experience can and will differ.

O
In my experience, mages are very rich, roleplay-wise. 

Actually, IMHO every archetype is very rich, roleplay-wise. From deckers to sams to mages to adepts to faces to whatever come out of the mind of a creative player.

The problem is that when people realize that mages can be powerful in many different specialized ways, they automatically assume that they must *be* that powerful in *all* those areas.  In actuality, a mage who specializes in one area will suffer in others-- this is also true for everyone else.

The problem is: a thief specializes in thief-things. A sam in combat. A decker in computer/tech. A mage specializes in magic ... he does not have to specialize in combat magic or in illusion magic, it goes all with one skill (sorcery). He just can choose some spells out of every convenient area and be very good at magic ... (un)fortunately the area "magic" covers combat, intrusion, social interaction etc.

In SR3 I wished for the following things:
1) max number of usable successes = force of the spell
2) better and more integration of background count in the world
3) "hard" use of the OR-rules for every kind of spell (even bullet barriers and detection spells)
4) longer actions for astral perception and astral projection (not one simple/complex action but something like 1/10 minute (you are entering the world of spirits, souls and emotions after all)) with shorter duration (perhaps just some minutes, not some hours) and less information (i would prefer the doubling on necessary successes if scanning an aura)

Well, I am interested how magic will be handled in SR4. spin.gif

SYL
Demosthenes
After the FAQ even the OR does not apply to these kind of spells

As a point of fact, it actually does, after a fashion: the spell must be cast at a force = at least half the OR of the object.
Personal spells are official modifiers in the spell design rules in MitS
Which are optional.

Apart from that, the power of mages is all in the context:
Sure, a mage can wander around the astral all the time and spy on whatever he wants.
But the areas he most wants to spy on are protected.
The normal mundanes who want to "protect" themselves from the mage's astral intrusion have the same options as normal mundanes who want to "protect" themselves from a drone-rigger's, or sneaky street-sam's, or decker's intrusion on their privacy: Option 1 - pay for the necessary countermeasures (they're all expensive). Option 2 - don't attract attention. Option 3 - put yourself in a position where the observer will be at a disadvantage, somehow.

Astral projection is great, right up to the moment when the master shedim possesses your body...

The rest is in spoiler tags to spare the innocent...
[ Spoiler ]
apple

As a point of fact, it actually does, after a fashion: the spell must be cast at a force = at least half the OR of the object.

I asked info@srrpg.com ... the OR matters if you directly use a spell on an object, like energy bolt or analyze equipent. It does not apply if the wearer of the spell (the one who gets the new sense) is a living being and where the object is just in the radius of the detection spell. Same goes for example for barrier-spells.

to quote their email-answer:

>1) In your errata (http://www.srrpg.com/resources/errata_sr3.shtml) you
>wrote:
>
>...................................................................
>p. 182: Sorcery Test [12]
>Add the following sentence to the 4th paragraph, before the sentence that
>begins..."Consult Object Resistance Table..."
>
>"The Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the Object
>Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object.
>
>Vehicles add Body and half armor to object resistance before dividing in
>half."
>................................................................
>
>
>Now, which spell categories are affected? Manipulation? Illusion?
>Divination? Combat? Heal?

QUOTE ("SR-FAQ")

***** All categories, with minor exceptions.
***** It doesn't apply to Elemental Manipulations.
***** Otherwise if the *Target* of the Spell
***** is an Object, then it applies, except for
***** Indirect Illusion Spells. For Indirect Illusions
***** it applies if the *Subject* is an Object.
***** Here's an example: Increase Cybered Strength isn't
***** affected by this rule as the Target of the
***** spell is the Person, not the Cyberware.

>Magic Fingers (german: Zauberfinger): you would need a force 5 Magic Finger
>to remotely operate a computer?
QUOTE ("SR-FAQ")

***** No. Since one casting of the spell creates Magic Fingers that can
***** open a door AND manipulate the computer, the Computer is
***** therefore not the Target of the Spell.

>Levitate: a PC has an object resistance on 10 => you would need Levitate
>force 5 to move the PC? And force 1 for a willing person?
QUOTE ("SR-FAQ")

***** Yes. And Force 2 to move a stick of wood. (O.R. = 3)

Note: Hä? Wird da nicht abgerundet? Also auf 1?

>Improved Invisibility: a camera has an Object Resistance of 8 => you would
>need Improved Invisibility force 4 to affect a security camera?
QUOTE ("SR-FAQ")

***** No, as the Cameras (there can be many) are not the Subject
***** of the Improved Invisibility Spell. But if you cast it on a
***** Computer you'd need at least Force 5 to make it invisible
***** to people and cameras.

>Physical Barrier: a bullet has an Object Resistance of 6 => you would need
>a
>barrier force 3 to slow down the bullet?
QUOTE ("SR-FAQ")

***** No, as the Bullet is not the Target of the Spell.

>Catalogue, detection/divination spell (german: Katalog,
>Wahrnehmungszauber):
>you would need Catalogue force 5 to detect computers?
QUOTE ("SR-FAQ")

***** The Target of Catalog is the person who receives the new sense.

>Detect Object(electronic equipment/weapon),. detection/divination spell:
>you
>would need this spell at least at force 4 to detect electronic equipment or
>weapons?
QUOTE ("SR-FAQ")

***** The Target of all the Detection spells is the person who receives
***** the new sense.

>Can a Fireball force 2 cast at a normal wooden chair affect a
>SOTA-Steel-Door?

QUOTE ("SR-FAQ")

***** For Elemental Manipulations the rule isn't used at all,
***** as the Spell creates the damaging material, and its
***** the *material* which affects the chair or door.
***** There is a different Force requirement to affect the
***** Door. See the Barrier Effect Table SR3 p. 124
***** and "Breaking Through" on the next page.
***** Each force 4 fireball against a Rating 8 door
***** will reduce the rating of the door by 1.
***** When the rating reaches 4, additional
***** fireballs will blow half-meter holes in the door
***** as well as reducing its rating by 1.

But the areas he most wants to spy on are protected.

Not in my experience. Now, of course a lot of corporate buildings are protected (that I do not doubt and in my experience corporate buildings (or better: high-level-buildings) are pretty safe from astral projection) ... however lot of runs are not againgst corporate buildings.

Option 1 - pay for the necessary countermeasures (they're all expensive). Option 2 - don't attract attention. Option 3 - put yourself in a position where the observer will be at a disadvantage, somehow.

So almost no protection except for the wage-slave-option? I would wish that they reduce the price for biowalls dramatically in SR4. It would solve a lot of problems.

Astral projection is great, right up to the moment when the master shedim possesses your body...

That happens how often per year per region? Almost same change like being struck by a meteor? Now, it would be interesting if there would be a permanent danger if you go astral (like: bgc 1: nerving watcher, bgc 2 simple attacking spirits etc).

if you allow all the optional rules, Riggers are broken because they can just kick everyone's ass from five miles away (overcome the OR on my Anthroform, Mr Mage...),

Which means open warfare, something a mage can avoid (and something every runner should avoid except for very special situations). And overcome the antroform? I get invisible, then I get creative with levitation wink.gif

Sammies are broken because they can get super-gimped guns using Cannon Companion creation rules and beta-grade cyberware,

I point out the costs of betaware (especially implantation cost), the rules for it and the time/money/suspicion problem of special designed weapons.

and deckers are broken because with a little preparation (and the same kind of karma/cash you're giving your sample mage) they can twist the system to do whatever they want, pretty much.

If they have the million nuyen for their MPCP 8+ cyberdeck ... you must admit it is much more easier to get an simple sustaining foci or an force 6 spell than a high grade cyberdeck or special combat drones.

But if your mage deactivates his focus to pass through a ward, he has to reactivate the focus on the far side and resist drain again...which kind of defeats the purpose of using the focus to avoid the drain, neh?

Ähem ... you donīt use sustaining foci to avoid drain (you get drain normally) but to avoid the +2 TN-modifier for sustaining spells (like invisibility, levitate or silence).

then the bonus from his increased reflexes is a bit of a waste, isn't it?

I wanted to say that he plans to activate his reflex-foci before the combat starts ... and that he doesnīt go through a ward in the middle of combat because in combat he has his 4w6+5 or something like that activated.

that object is no longer visible to the sensor, so the alarm still goes off...

At least in the german version of M&M the silence spell totally counters the ultrasonic sensor ... there no way that you can detect a silenced mage through ultrasound (only if you make your spell resistance test). And you must admit, that spell design rules and foci are not really optional rules.

Well, for me, thats it ... I just wanted to ask if something in the powerlevel of mages would change, it seems, that we still have to wait for SR4-FAQ part 4. wink.gif

SYL
Demosthenes
I point out the costs of betaware (especially implantation cost), the rules for it and the time/money/suspicion problem of special designed weapons.

And you completely avoid the costs in Karma/time/money/legality for learning spells?

Not in my experience. Now, of course a lot of corporate buildings are protected (that I do not doubt and in my experience corporate buildings (or better: high-level-buildings) are pretty safe from astral projection) ... however lot of runs are not against corporate buildings.

That all depends on what kinds of runs a GM choses to give his PCs, doesn't it, and what you (or the GM) consider to be the norm.
If I have a small company that employs, say 5 people, paying them enough to live a low lifestyle, that means I'm spending 5k nuyen.gif /month on salary.
How much would a permanent force 5 ward cost, exactly? If it costs less than 60k nuyen.gif , it's certainly well worthwhile, because if I'm paying 60k nuyen.gif per year in wages, then I'm damn sure earning at least that kind of money and want to protect my assets and privacy.

So almost no protection except for the wage-slave-option?

I take it you mean that the only 'protection' other than avoidance, is expensive?
Well, tough. The exact same principles apply to protection from all other kinds of intrusion - Drones, deckers, and just people being sneaky.

Bio-walls are expensive, and so are wards...if you buy them as an individual.
But it's not _that_ expensive to ward a floor of an apartment building with a force 1 ward. Just pay Knight Errant to set up the ward, and then rent out the building...and charge extra because of the "Knight-Errant installed Magical Security"...

Ähem ... you donīt use sustaining foci to avoid drain (you get drain normally) but to avoid the +2 TN-modifier for sustaining spells (like invisibility, levitate or silence).

I'm aware of that. I was insufficiently specific. I had assumed that, since (it seemed to me) you had phrased things similarly in a previous post, you would understand my meaning.

However, if you use a sustaining focus to sustain a spell that you cast before beginning your shadowrun, then you can recover from the drain in your own time and not suffer from it later. That was what I meant by using a sustaining focus to avoid drain.
apple

And you completely avoid the costs in Karma/time/money/legality for learning spells?

Compared to some rules in M&M? Almost yes. I can design my own spells, which takes me arount one week to one month for real killer applications (and I get the skill necessary for it almost free (knowledge skill), I can buy them for 15 000Ĩ (no more), I can learn them in a few days or a week (if I make my roll of course) ... and there is no spellscanner who detects my highly illegal spells (unlike cyberscanners) which I carry in my head around. Besides: some spells have the P-Code for legality and there are many spells useful with a rating of 1 to 3.

Not
That all depends on what kinds of runs a GM choses to give his PCs, doesn't it, and what you (or the GM) consider to be the norm.

Thats why I wrote:
QUOTE (apple)

SYL
Demosthenes
QUOTE (apple)
Thats why I wrote:
QUOTE (apple)

SYL

Indeed, it will.
But you were using a situation for which each player's experience "can and will differ" to make a general statement, which somewhat undermines your argument, IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012