Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knockdown and Melee Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
phydaux
I have a question:

Say a sam with a STR of 6 swings and hits with a katana.

Assuming the hit doesn't kill the traged outright, the target will have to make a BOD roll to see if he can remain upright.

Will the roll have a target number of six (the STR of the sam) or of nine (the STR of the hit, since katanas hit with STR+3)?

mmu1
It's going to be based on the adjusted power of the attack, not the character's base strength. It makes a difference whether you hit someone with a knife or with a sledgehammer.
mfb
neither. the target rolls against TN 4: one-half of 9, rounded down.
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb)
neither. the target rolls against TN 4: one-half of 9, rounded down.

Do melee weapons follow the same rules for knockdown as ranged ones - TN equal to 1/2 power? That's sort of weird, given how gel rounds behave...

Not that it really matters, the knockdown rules make Newton spin in his grave anyway.
Slacker
I don't have my books with me, but I am almost positive that the TN for knockdown in melee is the power of the attack. Only ranged combat halves the power for knockdown.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mmu1)
Not that it really matters, the knockdown rules make Newton spin in his grave anyway.

Only if you take the name literally. "Rules-what-make-people-fall-down-or-stagger-a-bit" just isn't as catchy.

~J
psykotisk_overlegen
It's the opponents strength. Not power, not half power, and certainly not half of opponents strength.
Zeel De Mort
Yep, opponent's strength. Half power is for ranged attacks. p124 SR3 - the section on knockdown, oddly enough. smile.gif
mfb
oops. missed that second sentence.
Edward
Anybody know why it is imposable to knock down somebody in full milspeck armour with a beanbag round from a shotgun (no damage dealt no knockdown test required) or should I just not ask.

Edward
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Edward)
Anybody know why it is imposable to knock down somebody in full milspeck armour with a beanbag round from a shotgun (no damage dealt no knockdown test required) or should I just not ask.

Edward

Dunno where you got that, Edward. The rules for Knockdown don't say anything about the person having to take damage; the defender makes a knockdown test 'when struck', i.e., anytime the attacker gets successes and the defender does not completely dodge.

Admittedly, there's no spot on the chart for 'unwounded' - I've always used a '1' for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012