Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixed TN
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Ellery
I'm not quite sure, Synner, that any of the arguments you make aren't equally valid or more valid reasions for switching SR to d20. That's simpler, people know the system, and it doesn't have to impact the setting hugely. Seriously--why not SR d20? It used to be a joke in very large part because everyone knew how different the SR system was and what a radical change it would be. This change looks nearly as radical.

Of course, entertainment providers can't, in general, provide their customers with what they think they want, because when it comes down to it, their customers don't really know what they want, and also, if you only cater to existing customers, your content may not appeal to anyone who isn't already a customer. But these providers also have to take a good, hard look at who their fan base is, because those are the people who supply them with guaranteed sales. Maybe you're saying that the SR fan base is now so small compared to the RPG industry as a whole that they can be completely neglected, and that it's better launching a new RPG than caring about the existing fan base. Maybe that's true; I don't know what the sales rank of SR is compared to other games. My local store has SR in the top ten or fifteen when it comes to shelf space devoted, but maybe they're just diehard fans.

In any case, the problem with not paying some attention to existing fans is that an established product already has a niche there. SR4 doesn't have to compete in the marketplace with SR3 unless SR4 abandons SR3's niche. There aren't that many fairly realistic mid-future settings; there aren't that many with strong elements of tech and magic; there aren't that many where the mechanics aren't as fundamentally inane as d20. If SR4 doesn't stray too far from SR3, you get a lot of people coming along for the ride.

So, that's the challenge: make things new enough so you increase your base of potential customers, but not so different as to drive away the existing ones. I only sort-of agree with Critias here. I do love Shadowrun (I have essentially every SR2 and SR3 book sold, plus a few SR1 ones), and I will therefore buy SR4. But I may not buy any other FanPro product ever again after that, because SR4 may not resemble the game that I love, and I may not love it on its own merits either. It's far too early to tell, of course. My point is just that it's not as simple as, "Hey, we keep all our existing fans for free, and we get access to a whole new set of customers too!"

Finally, a quibble: the announcement did not only deal with the fixed TN. It dealt with pool dice, too (saying that something that does not appear to be a pool at all by SR3 definitions is now called a pool, and implying that there is no replacement for what SR3 called a pool). By omission saying "each 5 or 6 rolled is considered a hit", it implies by omission that there is no rule of 6. And between variable TN, rule of 6, and pool, that's actually most of the SR3 dice system right there.

Maybe there will be as many different ways to use dice in SR4 as in SR3 that go beyond the core system (good grief, I hope not!), but if not, I'd say we've either got a pretty good preliminary picture, or the initial announcement could have been worded to stress that there are some completely fundamental things that look more like SR3 concepts that have been explicitly done away with, which are not mentioned here. ("Other rules now serve the function of the old dice pools--stay tuned for more details!")

Perhaps this couldn't be done because the rules hadn't actually been finalized to that point yet. Well, if not, here's some feedback indicating that some of us would like such other rules!
Kagetenshi
I'm going to agree with Ellery here. I love Shadowrun, and for that reason I'm buying the SR4 core book. I love Shadowrun, and that's why if SR4 is a significant disimprovement I am not buying any other fourth edition books. I'm willing to give the system a chance on its own merits (though not, mind you, to refrain from speaking my concerns based on the limited information we have currently), but it's exactly that love of a system that requires me to not support anything that is, in my opinion, bad for the game.

Which is a distinction, really. I respect a lot of the people who work with FanPro, but that's not where my loyalty lies. I will drop FanPro in a second if Shadowrun becomes the worse for it.

~J
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Ellery @ Apr 8 2005, 09:42 AM)
Seriously--why not SR d20?  It used to be a joke in very large part because everyone knew how different the SR system was and what a radical change it would be.  This change looks nearly as radical.

Not even close, Ellery. I was as skeptical as you, but once I started using the system, I began to see that it's still SR. I'm trying to get some leeway on what we can talk about and what we can't so that we can better explain ourselves.

But this isn't nearly as radical a change as you seem to think it is. Certainly not as radical as a change to D20 would be.
Maybe you're saying that the SR fan base is now so small compared to the RPG industry as a whole that they can be completely neglected, and that it's better launching a new RPG than caring about the existing fan base.  Maybe that's true; I don't know what the sales rank of SR is compared to other games.  My local store has SR in the top ten or fifteen when it comes to shelf space devoted, but maybe they're just diehard fans.

We don't think that the existing fan base can be neglected, and I find it kind of insulting to think that you'd believe this. We're part of that existing fan base, and while I've occasionally gotten so wrapped up in something that I forget to come out of my office for food (as have many others here, I'm sure), I don't think I've been neglecting myself.

If we were neglecting you, do you think any of us would be here banging our heads against the bricks trying to defend what's going down? If we were neglecting the existing fan base, we'd just disappear into the woodwork like the cockroaches many here seem to think we are, let everyone who's so inclined froth at the mouth, and just go about our business. Don't know what we have to do to convince people that we do, in fact, care about what's being said, but I wish someone would let me know so that we can do it.

We (the playtesters, at any rate) are doing this all for the love of the game. Our reward at the end of this process is a freebie copy of the book and the satisfaction of knowing that we've done the best we can. The writers will get paid a pittance alongside their author's copies. We're not doing this for the money; compared to the number of hours we're all putting in, the copy of the book we get at the end of the process means that sweat-shop workers putting out Kathy Gifford clothing for Wal-Mart make more than we do.

We might fuck up. God knows it's happened in the past, and will likely do so in the future. We're human, we do that sometimes. But the assumption that we're trying to deliberately drive away current fans (which would, by necessity, include outselves) is outright silly. It's bad business, not to mention masochistic.
My point is just that it's not as simple as, "Hey, we keep all our existing fans for free, and we get access to a whole new set of customers too!"

Wherever did you get the notion that this was the thought process?
Demonseed Elite
Finally, a quibble: the announcement did not only deal with the fixed TN. It dealt with pool dice, too (saying that something that does not appear to be a pool at all by SR3 definitions is now called a pool, and implying that there is no replacement for what SR3 called a pool). By omission saying "each 5 or 6 rolled is considered a hit", it implies by omission that there is no rule of 6. And between variable TN, rule of 6, and pool, that's actually most of the SR3 dice system right there.

I can say that the wording of that FAQ posting (or, in this case, the lack of depth in the wording) is pretty deceptive.
Eyeless Blond
Heh, I don't know who this Ellery is, but in the four days s/he's been here s/he's brought up more bery solid points and far more eloquently than I have since I joined. I bow to your superior wisdom and skills Ellery, and hope we see more of your posts in the future. smile.gif
Demonseed Elite
Ellery is actually a sophisticated artificial intelligence programmed with Shadowrun knowledge. At least, that's the popular theory. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
I've got a sneaking suspicion…

~J
Critias
She's also a horrible, dark, demigoddess. Praise be to Ellerlolth !!

And, guys? Playtesters, developers? Don't mistake our (half-shaped, admittedly thus far ill-informed) distaste for radical and sudden change as disliking for you. I know I, at least, make it undeniably clear to people I dislike, or am simply moderately angry at, when that is the case. No one's hurling insults at you guys, though I can understand how you might take our suspicion of the new game as some sort of insult to you, personally. Please stop doing so, however human it might be. No one here is accusing you guys of being in it for the money, no one is spitting at you, no one has so far even mentioned napalm and Gencon in the same breath. We know you guys dig the game, we know you guys want it to be a hit, and we know you guys know what you're talking about.

But we also know that orders are orders, and you might not have had a giant say in how things are/will be going down. We don't trust the nameless, faceless, "them." The cold hearted company that dares fiddle with our beloved game, as an entity unto itself, is the target of our distrust and suspicion. Not you guys as people, not Rob, not freelancers or playtesters or anyone personally. We're frightened by what little we know, and we have to post somewhere, sometime, to express that concern. You guys are taking the time to read it, which is cool, but are investing the energy to be insulted by it (which isn't).

It's not like we hate anybody, or distrust anybody. It's change itself that's got us spooked and tense. The process, not the people. Don't take us so personally.
Synner
QUOTE (Ellery @ Apr 8 2005, 02:42 PM)
I'm not quite sure, Synner, that any of the arguments you make aren't equally valid or more valid reasions for switching SR to d20.  That's simpler, people know the system, and it doesn't have to impact the setting hugely.  Seriously--why not SR d20?  It used to be a joke in very large part because everyone knew how different the SR system was and what a radical change it would be.  This change looks nearly as radical.

And you don't think that possibility was discussed (although given my knowledge of the FanPro crew I'd say not for very long)? Or SR3.5? Or a number of other solutions? Fortunately, IMHO, another route was chosen, but I'm sure dozens of would-be shadowrunning dungeon-crawlers on RPG.net and elsewehere would have prefered otherwise.

To address my point of view though, I believe - like most long-time players- I know that the game mechanics must complement the setting. I think most of us are experienced enough gamers to know that the wrong mechanics can kill the setting because they skew the way the game is actually played.

I honestly believe that a new system which is specifically built from the ground up to meet the style of play and atmosphere that the (current) developers envision (and have showcased in recent books) which at the same time might draw new players is a likelier win-win situation than:
a) using a system that wasn't designed with the setting in mind, and;
b) tweaking a system that isn't (apparently) doing the latter.

I'd even venture (and this is pure speculation) that this option was at least partially chosen because the developers' thought that a streamlined SR3.5 would actually be viewed by the fanbase as a dumbed down version.

I grant you that a new system can also fail miserably. But I submit that no one outside the current developers has enough information at this point to judge and there are reasons why it isn't being made available (namely some details may still change even if the big picture doesn't).

Of course, entertainment providers can't, in general, provide their customers with what they think they want, because when it comes down to it, their customers don't really know what they want, and also, if you only cater to existing customers, your content may not appeal to anyone who isn't already a customer.  But these providers also have to take a good, hard look at who their fan base is, because those are the people who supply them with guaranteed sales.

To a point. FanPro could just have laid back and continued to churn out SR3 books, with SOTA updates and leave it at that. The fact that they felt a new edition was needed is telling. As is the decision to develop new core mechanics. A lot of factors must have gone into that decision and neither you nor I are privy to enough of them to judge if this was or not a necessary call.

Given that what we can either get on our soap boxes and declaim something we know very little about, or judge the new system adopted by merit and particularly by comparing with SR3 as sufficient details come out. A third possibility is even suggesting alternatives and helping mold the system that way - there are several playtesters on DSF and the devs certainly come by including Rob Boyle.

As Jérémie was saying its a pity a perfectly good contribution might be missed because its buried among tirades about how two lines in a FAQ indicate that the Shadowrun we know and love is dead...

Personally, I was very shocked and surprised by the news and my knee jerk reaction was similar to yours. In fact, I continue to have doubts. However in the past few days Bull posted something which made a huge amount of sense to me (go figure wink.gif ) and I've taken the time to check the reception the news is getting on other boards and forums. Both have gone a long way to convince me that FanPro has made a good if balsy call.

Maybe you're saying that the SR fan base is now so small compared to the RPG industry as a whole that they can be completely neglected, and that it's better launching a new RPG than caring about the existing fan base.  Maybe that's true; I don't know what the sales rank of SR is compared to other games.  My local store has SR in the top ten or fifteen when it comes to shelf space devoted, but maybe they're just diehard fans.

Someone recently posted a market reference which placed FanPro in fifth behind WotC, WW, SJG and AEG in terms of market share. I found it particularly telling that the accompanying article said that with SR4 coming out later this year FanPro looks to jump a couple of notches on the ranking.

Nonetheless I have already explained above that the issue isn't short term. Sales, as far as I know, have been healthy and in fact growing. However this hasn't (apparently) offset the biggest problem facing the entire RPG industry and not Shadowrun alone, the fact that the fanbase is aging and more people are generally dropping out than are coming in. Add this to the fact that SR is percieved by the wider RPG audience as a complex ruleset to master and the odds for SR's survival down the line aren't all that good.

In any case, the problem with not paying some attention to existing fans is that an established product already has a niche there.  SR4 doesn't have to compete in the marketplace with SR3 unless SR4 abandons SR3's niche.  There aren't that many fairly realistic mid-future settings; there aren't that many with strong elements of tech and magic; there aren't that many where the mechanics aren't as fundamentally inane as d20.  If SR4 doesn't stray too far from SR3, you get a lot of people coming along for the ride.

You are, of course, perfectly correct. But that's my problem with a lot of the stuff being posted on here. A lot of people are not even giving the new SR4 system a chance - and I'm not talking about the decker/hacker issue or the 5-year leap, I'm talking about the people like Skeptical Clown (sorry in advance for singling you out) who are dissatisfied with the way SR has been going and as such assume SR4 will be bad and those saying it's SR gone nWoD so it must be bad. Or a dozen other.

So, that's the challenge: make things new enough so you increase your base of potential customers, but not so different as to drive away the existing ones.  I only sort-of agree with Critias here.  I do love Shadowrun (I have essentially every SR2 and SR3 book sold, plus a few SR1 ones), and I will therefore buy SR4.  But I may not buy any other FanPro product ever again after that, because SR4 may not resemble the game that I love, and I may not love it on its own merits either.  It's far too early to tell, of course.  My point is just that it's not as simple as, "Hey, we keep all our existing fans for free, and we get access to a whole new set of customers too!"

As Patrick has repeatedly stated on numerous ocassions, we're fans too, hard-core old-timer fans, so are the playtesters and the devs (so in a twisted sort of way SR is actually in the hands of the fans). Destroying something we've enjoyed for years and have been helping to build would be both stupid and masochistic, and I don't consider myself either.

The fact that we're taking the time to continue this discussion should be proof enough that the fans (even if we chose to exclude ourselves) aren't being neglected. We're attempting to explain (within limits dictated by our NDAs) and perhaps lay to rest some of the more ill-founded suspicions. Or do you think we're being paid for this or do it out of some sort of loyalty to FanPro?

Finally, a quibble: the announcement did not only deal with the fixed TN.  It dealt with pool dice, too (saying that something that does not appear to be a pool at all by SR3 definitions is now called a pool, and implying that there is no replacement for what SR3 called a pool).  By omission saying "each 5 or 6 rolled is considered a hit", it implies by omission that there is no rule of 6.  And between variable TN, rule of 6, and pool, that's actually most of the SR3 dice system right there.

The FanPro US announcement didn't but the parralel announcement in the FanPro D newsletter copied on here did. And rest assured to the best of my knowledge that's whats going to happen. The system is Dice Pools = Att+Skill vs. TN 5. But like I've said before that's about as representative as saying SR3's system is Att or Skill or Rating vs. variable TN.

Maybe there will be as many different ways to use dice in SR4 as in SR3 that go beyond the core system (good grief, I hope not!), but if not, I'd say we've either got a pretty good preliminary picture, or the initial announcement could have been worded to stress that there are some completely fundamental things that look more like SR3 concepts that have been explicitly done away with, which are not mentioned here.  ("Other rules now serve the function of the old dice pools--stay tuned for more details!")

Well, just to counter that I'm going to stick my head out and say that the base mechanic presented is just that - the basic form- and completely correct. However it doesn't, for instance, even mention if/how the system will handle varying degrees of success or increased difficulties. Does this mean you should assume there isn't a mechanism for it (because it doesn't say so)?

I can virtually guarantee there's more surprises coming down the line that are going to shock people but for what its worth I'd like to reiterate, again, that the game is still very recognizably SR.

Perhaps this couldn't be done because the rules hadn't actually been finalized to that point yet.  Well, if not, here's some feedback indicating that some of us would like such other rules!

And the feedback, as long as it's constructive is welcomed. Even the complaining is welcomed, its the clearest sign that SR has a devoted fan-base. The problem is the reactionary ranting based on next to nothing.

Critias - Rest assured, none of us is taking this personally. We're just hoping to give SR4 the fair shot it deserves.

And with that I'm afraid I'm going to have to retire from this discussion (and any others until I've wrapped up the assignments I have on my plate). Have fun, be fair and behave people, whatever you may think right now, it isn't the end of the world - I have it on good authority that we've still got at least 6 years. nyahnyah.gif
Charon
Fixed TN of 5 !?!

I suggested exactly that a in a thread during the first few days of the SR4 forum.

Got. To. Find. The thread... and BRAG!!!

Arg, I can't for the life of me remember the thread.

This proves my long held belief that I'm smarter than everyone else, though. If you'll excuse, I will go ask my little sister to poke some fun at me to bring my ego down to size.
Eldritch
I'd be all for some optional "advanced" rules, even if it meant having to buy another SRComp sort of book to get them (in fact it'd be convenient to have them all in one place like that). I agree it would be a good compromise -- the basic and heavily streamlined rules available for people just starting out or those who think combat runs too slow (as the primary rules set), with rules available to the rest of us, and still just as official, that re-introduce things some of us are worried about the lack of (pools and such).

Okay, but won't that put us back into the same 'rules bloat/creep' we are in now? (If I understand the bloat/creep definition that is)

Yeah, if you want to just play core SR, just buy the core book. Okay, you can do that now. But if you want to enhance the play, pick up the other core books.

??

Thats where we are now, that's where things will be in a year. That's not solving the creep/bloat problem. (A problem I don't really believe in becuase almost everygame has that - but it is something that has been brought up several times here at DS)

So is there a serious attempt at solving creep/bloat?
mfb
i think the maybe-sayers have been pretty fair about it, so far. we've largely stuck to the info available, without extrapolating too wildly. at worst, assumptions have been made that are reasonable based on what's been presented, though not necessarily reasonable based on the existing playtesting rules. the clostest any of us have come to saying "i'm not buying SR4 because of X" is my assertion that i'm dropping the game if it sucks--and that's a decision that won't be made until i actually have the book.

as much as i like and respect Synner and Goodman, i'm not really willing to accept as proof their assertion that SR4 will be good (though i accept it as strongly supporting evidence). Rob Boyle could drop by my house and tell me it's all going to be cool, and i wouldn't take it at face value. i don't disregard what you guys are saying; in fact, it's a large part of why i'm not pitching my tent in the "SR4 is going to suck" camp--that, and the fact that i am very much pleased with what FanPro has put out. but the recent FAQs have kept me out of the "SR4 is going to rock" camp. the information they present is, at best, jarring, and worrying at worst. i like SR a lot, so i'm not going to sit around in the "wait and see" camp. i therefore find myself in the "discuss with much agitation, based on what i know, and wait impatiently for more" camp.
Ellery
Most of what Synner says makes sense (even if I don't necessarily fully agree with all of it), and much of what I wrote should have been proofread given how many peculiar grammatical errors I made. But one thing caught me off guard:

Sales, as far as I know, have been healthy and in fact growing. However this hasn't (apparently) offset the biggest problem facing the entire RPG industry and not Shadowrun alone, the fact that the fanbase is aging and more people are generally dropping out than are coming in. Add this to the fact that SR is percieved by the wider RPG audience as a complex ruleset to master and the odds for SR's survival down the line aren't all that good.

Wait, wait. The fan base is getting older, so the right reaction is to make the rules simpler? I don't care how simple you make the rules--PS/2 and XBox are going to win that contest every time. Of course the fan base is getting older--we grew up playing RPGs, and we're getting older. Unless you kill gamers off when they reach a certain age, Otaku-like, the average age is going to get older and older.

It seems to me that unless you're trying to do the industry a favor by bringing in new gamers (which I think is better done with products like Star Wars d20 that leverage extensive non-RPG marketing campaigns), what you want to do if you're introducing new rules is to make them quick to read (since older people tend to have less spare time) but rich in possibilities (to make that investment in time worthwhile).

Anyway, traditional RPGs are probably going to have to settle for not being a growth industry as a whole. There are just too many competing entertainment opportunities, from consoles to MMORPGs. Maybe SR needs to expand into the Chinese and Indian markets. smile.gif
Shadow
Synner and I had a nice conversation via PM. He answered a lot of the questions I had. And even though I still don't like the direction they are going, he did a great job of at least letting me know why they are going in said direction. I understand the genesis of their decision now (even though I still think a properly done ad campaign for SR3 revised would have had the same effect).

So Shadow has officially moved to the waiting watching hoping camp. I still don't know if I will buy it, but at least I won't burn it in effigy. I still lament the loss of a great game system. SR had, imho, the best rules going, and I will wish till the day I die some one could have done something with them instead of abandoning them.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow)
and I will wish till the day I die some one could have done something with them instead of abandoning them.

Maybe, maybe not.

~J
Synner
For reference, and before I really do sign off, the explanation I offered Shadow is personal and unsubstaniated and boils down to the one I posted above in reply to Ellery.

And btw Ellery, you'll note I never proposed anything of the sort. I don't think SR is the game to do it either (barring a movie, hit computer game or some such). I actually fieled the opposite possibility - ie. that the target audience might be "the wider RPG audience" who percieve SR3 "as a complex ruleset to master" and hence require a system that at least seems different.

Maybe SR needs to expand into the Chinese and Indian markets. smile.gif

Given that I've just talked an Indian acquaintence into playing SR for the first time by dangling a chapter of SoA in front of his eyes, I found that particularly funny.

And now, without further ado, have a nice weekend one and all.
Ellery
Ah, okay, that makes slightly more sense. Although I'd think that the barrier to SR was not that the rules are complex to master, but rather complex to even get started with. Is it really that big a barrier if people can get into a game quickly and then get better and better with practice? That works for FPS games--it can take years to hone one's skill there. It works for chess and checkers, too. Tic-tac-toe is easy to master, but I don't see people playing that too often....

So, anyway, I think entry barrier is the bigger deal than time-to-mastery.
Jérémie
QUOTE (Critias)
And, guys? Playtesters, developers? Don't mistake our (half-shaped, admittedly thus far ill-informed) distaste for radical and sudden change as disliking for you.

Yours. I'm pretty please with the idea of radical change, god knows the old mechanic needed it.

A new character, beginner, shoot at someone and you need 20 dices just to resolve the attack ? And the defenser roll a handful of dices to dodge, and then again to see how much damage he takes. And later he roll again more dices to see if he can heal himself, and several others to see how mich time he need to rest.

And for each roll, you may need to keep the 6 and launch them again, and sum each one with its own ancestor ? And you may again launch the failures, starting it all over agin ? You got to be kidding me.

Yes, a complete revision is very much welcome.

But again, where is the only thread about this topic ? This was a debate for 2 or 3 weeks ago, we should really get over it now.
Kagetenshi
Even a physad only throws eighteen. If a beginner is throwing twenty dice on an attack, they've got some significant natural min-maxing skills.

Honestly, "you have got to be kidding me" is my reaction to your complaint on too many dice. It seriously takes you a meaningful amount of time?

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 9 2005, 05:11 AM)
Even a physad only throws eighteen.

Enhanced Articulation and (arguably) a Reflex Recorder will up it to 20, if the Magic Point is Geased. biggrin.gif
Wireknight
QUOTE (Fortune)
Enhanced Articulation and (arguably) a Reflex Recorder will up it to 20. biggrin.gif

I've always thought that adept bonus dice overlapped with, rather than stacking with, bonuses from other sources. i.e. an adept with enhanced articulation would need to get at least 2 points in improved ability to display any real concrete bonus to a skill that enhanced articulation already improved.
mfb
what... how is this a debate for 2-3 weeks ago? the FAQ that we're debating only came out three days ago, are we supposed to have pre-discussed it, or something? is the time limit for discussing new elements of SR4 negative fourteen days, now?
Fortune
QUOTE (Wireknight @ Apr 9 2005, 05:26 AM)
I've always thought that adept bonus dice overlapped with, rather than stacking with, bonuses from other sources.  i.e. an adept with enhanced articulation would need to get at least 2 points in improved ability to display any real concrete bonus to a skill that enhanced articulation already improved.

I don't know where you got that idea. Can you give me a quote, outside of the one that is listed specifically for Improved Reflexes?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 9 2005, 05:11 AM)
Even a physad only throws eighteen.

Enhanced Articulation and (arguably) a Reflex Recorder will up it to 20, if the Magic Point is Geased. biggrin.gif

I'd consider spotting that as a first character to be meaningful natural min/maxing skills.

~J
Shadow
I am pretty sure cyber enhancements don't stack with magic enhancements. At least when it comes to pumping up your initiative.

Enhanced articulation doesn't really improve skills so much as it makes them easier to perform, so they would stack. It's a different kind of enhancement. But say cyber limbs with 4 points of strength wouldn't stack with an adept getting impv str 4 points.
Fortune
QUOTE (Shadow)
I am pretty sure cyber enhancements don't stack with magic enhancements. At least when it comes to pumping up your initiative.

The Initiative definitely dice don't stack. The Reaction bonus is another matter.
Bioware is considered natural, so should have no problems stacking outside of the places where it is specifically prohibited (as in Improved Reflexes).
mfb
hm. interesting argument. in the case of the adept power, though, it specifically forbids enhancements from any other source, so i don't think that'd fly. i'm not sure about spells.
Critias
A new character, beginner, shoot at someone and you need 20 dices just to resolve the attack ? And the defenser roll a handful of dices to dodge, and then again to see how much damage he takes. And later he roll again more dices to see if he can heal himself, and several others to see how mich time he need to rest.

You'd prefer...what? A single die roll to determine the fate of your latest player character, or (better yet) a single toss of a single die to determine whether that 250+ karma long-standing hero of yours lives or dies? The situation you're describing is (except for your forgetfullness of Knockdown, but don't feel bad on taht count) in many ways a worst-case scenario, in many other ways an exageration to make a point.

Realistically, your average starting character will throw somewhere between 6 and 12 dice (adepts notwithstanding) for an attack, depending on how much of his Combat Pool he chooses to use. Then the defender -- if he wants to use Combat Pool as well -- throws some defense dice (dodging, or skipping right to soaking).

Stop, at that point. Understand that you're no longer talking about combat, or anything even directly related to it (other than in a "cause and effect" fashion). That's all you've got to worry about in combat. Attack, optional dodge, soak. Even D&D has "attack, damage" as it's simplest core for a combat roll. How is this so bad? Three die rolls instead of two, and with one of those three optional? Not to mention that every die on the table is a d6 (how hard is it to count to 12, really?), rather than a bastardized mixture of every die known to man.

And for each roll, you may need to keep the 6 and launch them again, and sum each one with its own ancestor ? And you may again launch the failures, starting it all over agin ? You got to be kidding me.

Stop (again). Only bother with the 6's if your TN is an 8 or better. If you're aiming for a TN 3 shot, why bother picking up and rerolling those 6's? If you're aiming for a TN 8+ shot -- well, shit, but really how hard is it to do nothing but look for 6's (and, in so doing, ignore most of those dice you're complaining about)? It's not very complicated once you've done it a few times. Maybe you don't wargame (that would certainly explain your strange aversion to dice).

Now that I mention it, not just wargaming, here..but... how many other RPGs have you tried? Shadowrun is really, at it's heart, a fairly basic system. You roll some dice, you look for a certain number on those dice, and you move on. You aren't rolling, then adding, then subtracting, then comparing the total to another number on someone else's character sheet, then rolling a different shape of die (to do more adding and more subtracting)... The GM screen (for basic TN mods) and some practice at playing SR is really all you need.

Have you tried other systems?

Yes, a complete revision is very much welcome.

But again, where is the only thread about this topic ? This was a debate for 2 or 3 weeks ago, we should really get over it now.

In your opinion, a complete revision is very much welcome. It sounds more like you have a problem with this system than that you want another one, though. What makes you think it will be any easier (for you) with the new system?

From the sounds of things, you're far more likely to be rolling very large numbers of dice with the new system. Right off the bad, instead of rolling "pistols" you're suddenly looking at "pistols + quickness +/- modifiers." You want to talk about a starting character tossing 20 dice, congrats, now you can talk about that.

And -- like MFB said -- when were we supposed to talk about the new die mechanic, if it's not supposed to be talked about a few days after we get a sneak peek of it? I mean, were we just supposed to sit here and guess about it for a few weeks, then stop talking once they told us the basics of it?
Critias
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 8 2005, 02:40 PM)
Bioware is considered natural, so should have no problems stacking outside of the places where it is specifically prohibited (as in Improved Reflexes).

Right.

Even more specifically, WK and MFB, just check out page 79 from M&M. Not only is bioware "natural" by default, but it outright states bioware is generally very magic-effect friendly.

"Magic effects, such as adept powers and spells, are usually complementary to bioware effects. A few circumstances deserve special note."

It then goes on to mention those "few circumstances," which include reflex boosters very specifically (and just says "take the best bonus")...but that's really about it, in terms of anything that grants outright bonus dice. It doesn't state anywhere that improved ability and/or reflex recorders and/or enhanced articulation don't all get along (and improve upon one another).

I'm disappointed in you two. Especially you, WK. For shame.
Wireknight
Yeah, but neither does adept attribute enhancement stack with bone lacing or muscle replacement/augmentation/toner, all of which are arguably "boosting", rather than "replacing", physical abilities.
Shadow
I specifically said Cyber, not Bioware. So no for shame for me. .
Fortune
QUOTE (Shadow)
I specifically said Cyber, not Bioware. So no for shame for me. .

Yes I know. I was merely saying that I definitely know that Cyberware (and Bioware) with binus Initiative dice not stacking with Magic. I'm just not as sure about things like Reaction Enhancers, which only affect Reaction, not the amount of dice.
Fortune
QUOTE (Wireknight)
Yeah, but neither does adept attribute enhancement stack with ... augmentation/toner, all of which are arguably "boosting", rather than "replacing", physical abilities.

Can you give me a quote on that? Both the Bioware and the Adept enhancements are considered natural, so they are limited to the Attribute Maximum, which would make stacking a rare thing anyway, but I don't recall anything specific stating they are not compatable.
Critias
Nor can I find any such thing, having just gotten done searching through the errata and FAQs (while Fortune beat me to the posting).
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Ellery)
So, anyway, I think entry barrier is the bigger deal than time-to-mastery.

Right, which is the one reason I find the rule change announcement to be refrehing. I remember I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into SR in the beginning; I only did it because I knew a good GM was running a game, so I grinned and bore it like a good tool and spent two days reading through SR3, MitS, CC, SRC, M&M, Matrix, Rigger3, and... what was the other book they lent me... YotC (ugh). I remember spending a week literally drowning in rules before I finally resolved to forget about learning a few of them (I still haven't gotten around to really reading the Rigger rules, years later).

My point is, the barrier to entry in SR3 is ridiculously huge; most of the people who've been fans from SR2 and gradually got to assimilate the whole glut don't really realize just how big it is. As it stands you have to be really motivated--or just be a sucker for complex mathematical systems like I am--to ever want to learn how SR works, with its three basic, core methods of performing a test (combined with dozens of exceptions which completely ignore the three different core methods), four completely different non-overlapping rulesets dealing with the way different aerchtypes do their jobs, quirky nonsensical calculations (such as those for dice pools and Maneuver Score), etc etc.

Anyway, all this has been discussed before. I guess what I'm saying is I agree with you; if the rules start simple and get vastly more complex when delving into the nuances you've got a great game. SR's current problem is that the rules *start* complex and opaque, and only get worse as you delve into it because the nuances are all exceptions to the main rule, rather than extensions of it.
mfb
that is exactly what i want. a game that's easy to learn, and hard to master.
Crimsondude 2.0
Stop...

How is SR3 hard to learn? You use the rules in the Core book. Granted, they could be easier, and in certain cases *cough*decking*cough* should be, but...

Everything else. Every rule book, every supplemental rule, metamagic, adept power, tech, task, timeline event... Is by it's very nature "advanced."

You don't need MitS to use magic (and may generally be better off never reading it for your sanity's sake alone). Nor do you need R3, M&M, CC, the metamagics in T:AL, SOTA63/64, SURGE from YotC, etc. to learn to play SR.

It's only once you play long enough, and are willing to do so, that you might want to have 20 metamagical abilities, delta cyberware, firearms construction rules, host design rules, or even the advanced melee and martial arts rules in CC that SR did without for several years to no one's exact detriment.

Meanwhile, Synner... What has come over you? First you argue the CP is irrelevant for what seems like a player/GM problem, and second that Critias has asked you twice to see it from our perspective, and you don't seem to want to because you don't have to. All we know is this:

1. There is a fixed TN system where a skill test requires throwing more dice (which make Jérémie's argument irrelevant and contrary to his own position)

2. There is no ComP, HP, SP, CtrlP. No word on KP or the pools which, and DE I'm sorry if pool calculation is so complex, but... pools which are for advanced level games (as those pools are all introduced in supplements).

Given those two facts, and those two facts alone, the knowledge that there is no CP combined with your legal responsibilities and potential liabilities not to tell us fuck-all, has led to one insurmountable fact:

We are going to voice our opinions about what FanPro should do, and speculate on what they migth do.

Personally, I think making CP and advanced optional rule hurts SR. It is one of the defining mechanics of SR that makes it worth playing. If I wanted "simple" (IOW, "dumb") I'd have found another game to play by now. It's only been, what, a little over a decade?

We are also going to speculate on what FanPro might do and should do, because you are under a legal responsibility not to tell us what they will do. If anyone here is whining, it's those playtesters who bitch about their NDAs and then assert that we're wrong for offering speculation and conjecture, neither of which mean a damn thing when it comes to the actual game itself.

Now, then... I'm off. I'm being hypocritical posting here, but silence would have turned me purple.
mfb
you wouldn't like him when he's purple.

SR3 can be difficult to learn. i didn't have a problem learning it, you didn't, most of of the people on this board didn't--but we're not representative of the majority of people who've looked at SR. the majority, or at least a significant portion of the set of people who've looked at SR, have said "these are too complex" and put them down. i'm not of the opinion that we should make SR accessible to idiots, but i do think it should be more accessible to more gamers.

about trusting the playtesters/devs, here's the issue. yes, we trust your intentions for SR4--we, or at least i, believe that you want SR4 to be fun, interesting, and recognizable. what's less certain is the end result--whether or not your intentions will be translated into reality. FanPro has come through in the past, sure, and put out some great books. but this isn't just another book; this is... well, hell, it's a new edition, and by all accounts it's going to be massive change from what's come before. it's new, and things which are new are inherently easier to screw up.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
You don't need MitS to use magic (and may generally be better off never reading it for your sanity's sake alone). Nor do you need R3, M&M, CC, the metamagics in T:AL, SOTA63/64, SURGE from YotC, etc. to learn to play SR.

It's only once you play long enough, and are willing to do so, that you might want to have 20 metamagical abilities, delta cyberware, firearms construction rules, host design rules, or even the advanced melee and martial arts rules in CC that SR did without for several years to no one's exact detriment.

Of course you don't *need* all the rules to play SR, though if you've ever tried to play a decker without any of the rules in Matrix you'll quickly learn that it's very nearly impossible. You don't *need* the armor customization rules in CC, the initiation, geasea, expanded adept powers and extra spells in MitS, the rules for implanting stuff in cyberlimbs or bioware or surgery rules in M&M, the contact rules and Edges/Flaws in SRC, etc etc.

But take a look over at the Welcome to the Shadows forum. How many games are there that use just the "core" rules? How crippled are you if you don't know about geasea, or edges/flaws, or contact rules, or armor customization, or the optional decker rules, or whatever stuff is pertinent to your character? Sure, you can theoretically play a game that doesn't use any of the supplements or exceptions to the rules that exist all over the core book and the optional books, and I'm sure some people did five or six years ago, but noone does anymore and you'll have as hard a time convincing the veterans to run a "core only" campaign as I did trying to cinvince that GM.

And you really need to know what "optional" rules are being used. Once I was in a game where SotA '63 was being used, a fact that I wasn't made aware of at the time. I tried to use Stealth to pick a lock (which is what you do in the "core rules", and was told I had to default to Quickness because SotA has a skill called Lockpicking which I didn't have. Thank God I at least had Microscopic Vision (also not from the "core" rules) or I would've really been up the creek.

Besides, it's not like the core rules themselves are at all transparent either. The "core rules" are where most of the berrier to entry exists. Everything in that book is an exception to itself; the melee rules are completely different from the ranged combat rules, initiative is handled comepletely differently from everything else in the book, decking and rigging are their own seperate rules universes, Stealth is some weird kind of test that you find hardly anywhere else, astral space is weird, contacts and lifestyle rules, while convenient, take some getting used to, dice pool calculations and rules for each need to be written down on a cheat sheet because they all make no sense until you've been gaming for some weeks, etc etc.

Most of you are coming from the perspective of "growing up with the game", and are comfortable with the rules because you learned each supplement as it came out. I, however, had to learn everything at once, and I can tell you right now that it was in no way easy to learn even the minimum necessary to participate in one of the games going on right now. I felt like a guy walking into the middle of an advanced calculus course with no more than a grade school education; the learning curve was that frighteningly steep.
Jérémie
You'd prefer...what?  A single die roll to determine the fate of your latest player character, or (better yet) a single toss of a single die to determine whether that 250+ karma long-standing hero of yours lives or dies?

And why not ? If the game choose to make this impossible (and by the way I don't remember reading anything quite near that area in the game since SR1), let it be. You don't need to make what a single-simple-easy-fast roll can do into a several-hard to explain-stasticaly laughable-multiple reroll rolls to do that.
The situation you're describing is (except for your forgetfullness of Knockdown, but don't feel bad on taht count) in many ways a worst-case scenario, in many other ways an exageration to make a point.

Yep my bad, forgot about knowckdown nyahnyah.gif

It was to make a point of course, but it's not something you wouldn't see. How this conversation is alien or improbable to you ?

• GM: ok I've basicaly explain the world, what do you want to play ?
  • Newbie player: ouch too much data... don't know... the kung fu master style seems nice
  • GM: an adept ? ok you can do that
  • Newbie player: but wait... it's a modern game ? with firearms ? Well I'm not sure I really want to run toward people to hit them while they shoot all they want at me. I can't do the same kind of thing, your magic adept guy there, but with guns that goes boom ?
  • GM: sure you can
  • Newbie player: Ok let's do that... I like the big shotgun type you know, can I make the ultimate shotgun guy ?

And there you go, 5/7 in shotgun, lot of pool, +6d in shotgun.

It's not every day sure, but it's not like we can all swear this could never happen, several times on several gaming tables.
Stop, at that point.  Understand that you're no longer talking about combat, or anything even directly related to it (other than in a "cause and effect" fashion).  That's all you've got to worry about in combat.  Attack, optional dodge, soak.

And knockback for some situation (like troll in melee where it is a big part of the action).
Even D&D has "attack, damage" as it's simplest core for a combat roll.  How is this so bad?  Three die rolls instead of two, and with one of those three optional?  Not to mention that every die on the table is a d6 (how hard is it to count to 12, really?), rather than a bastardized mixture of every die known to man.

Question of likes and dislikes, I found that with the TN, rules of 6, and karma, rolling 1d20+bonus-malus vs TN and say 2d6+bonus for an attack is much, much more easier and faster than the old SR mechanic.

Why make 3 complicated rolls, when one is enough ?And by the way, what is optionnal ? Soaking smile.gif C'mon, I've tested this on total rpg newbie... in the middle of the first fight they get the "ok you can roll some of your pool vs TN4, and later soak as you will if that is needed, or sok right away vs TN6".
Stop (again).  Only bother with the 6's if your TN is an 8 or better.  If you're aiming for a TN 3 shot, why bother picking up and rerolling those 6's?

Sometimes. From my experience, TN goes over 6 really really really often. Basic TN 4, the target has some basic cover +4 (who stay in the open when bad guys have guns at hand ?), it rain +4 (Seattle you know), it's a dark sprawl basic alley (basic settings very, very common) +2 from visibility, and we are already at 14. Ok you have the tools of the job, -2, TN 12.

Or do shadowrunners only shoot at non moving, standing in plain sight and line of fire,only on clear blue sky day at noon and outdoors ?

Ok again it's not every single fight, but it's a pretty, pretty common one.
Maybe you don't wargame (that would certainly explain your strange aversion to dice).

I Have rolegamed, and boardgamed, for more than 18 years now, and with Shadowrun since 1990. If I am the core target of SR players, I don't wander anymore why Rob Boyle has sales issues smile.gif .
Now that I mention it, not just wargaming, here..but... how many other RPGs have you tried?

I stoped counting at the 3 figures.
Shadowrun is really, at it's heart, a fairly basic system.

No it's not. The core mechanic is simple, but heavy (I'm tired, can't find the exact english word I was trying to use there... not very easy to handle, not very ergonomic) to handle. And if you know the rules overall, you know that the core mechanic is very much forgetten in almost every area or rules of the game.

I want to add a simple, low bonus to a specific situation not covered in the rules (or I don't remember it and I want to keep the game running), the rules offer me several answer : I can add a minus bonus to TN, I can add dices, I can remove some dices from the oppononent test, I can make it a closed or open test (and by the way, does the same +1/-1 TN bonus is the same on a close test and on a open test ?), etc. How should I choose ? Did I read any explanation about what a -1TN is, in absolute and compared to a +1 dice bonus ?
In your opinion, a complete revision is very much welcome.  It sounds more like you have a problem with this system than that you want another one, though.  What makes you think it will be any easier (for you) with the new system?

Me and 15 or 20 peoples I've played SR with and are agreeing with me (and even among my players/GMs, some disagree to the basic opinion, not so much with the detailed one).
Really nothing, apart from the fact it's basically what I've read from the annoucements, I think this is what the dvlp are trying to achieve. Certainly not as drasticaly as I would like, but any improvement is good to take, and I'm ready to give them a break and try it. Maybe I'm wrong on this one and they are right.
From the sounds of things, you're far more likely to be rolling very large numbers of dice with the new system. Right off the bad, instead of rolling "pistols" you're suddenly looking at "pistols + quickness +/- modifiers."  You want to talk about a starting character tossing 20 dice, congrats, now you can talk about that.

I will wait for some more datas before going nuts, in the spirit of what I said some days ago. Because the are dozens of factors that can change that... the scale of things for example (with another bonus for us, no more basic street cop with a olympic level in shooting people), perhaps an auto-success system, or whatever.

Extrapolating the very little knowledge we have of the SR4 system to make it the more like our personnal nightmare, and then ranting here about it, is exactly what I was ranting about smile.gif
And -- like MFB said -- when were we supposed to talk about the new die mechanic, if it's not supposed to be talked about a few days after we get a sneak peek of it?  I mean, were we just supposed to sit here and guess about it for a few weeks, then stop talking once they told us the basics of it?

This is not was I was saying.
Jérémie
QUOTE (mfb)
SR3 can be difficult to learn. i didn't have a problem learning it, you didn't, most of of the people on this board didn't--but we're not representative of the majority of people who've looked at SR. the majority, or at least a significant portion of the set of people who've looked at SR, have said "these are too complex" and put them down. i'm not of the opinion that we should make SR accessible to idiots, but i do think it should be more accessible to more gamers.

I don't think SR system is complex. Well, it is, but it has to handle advanced melee fight, firefight, all kind of magic, advanced vehicules, matrix, and so on.

So, I'm not saying it is more complex than it has to be. I say SR1~3 core mechanic, and oversall system, is too complicated. There is a important distinctive nuance here (well in french there is, I might have to check a dictionnary if you don't understand what I mean).

A complex system is, for example, by the book (rpga-tournament thing) D&D3 system. It is extremely complex, because a single word, or even comma (and I am not over stating anything, but unless you know the core rules enough to explain how things work to a WotC D&D CS I won't go there) can change everything (and by so, it become very hard to handle, because of the in game book reading needed). But it is not very complicated, mostly because the core mechanic is simple and is used in 99.99% of the time in the exact same way, a predictable way.

In my opinion, that's not the case for SR. Can you explain to me why some implant helping you aim can give you on one case a -2 TN bonus, and in another case a +1d pool bonus; and where on the books (any books) it is explained why and how they are different ?
Eyeless Blond
I think the word difference you're looking for is complex versus obfuscated. The SR rules are inherently complex, in that they are based on several inherently different "core" mechanics woven together (Success Tests, Opposed Tests, Open Tests, "Other" Tests like those for initiative, rigger rules, decker rules, etc etc). The D&D tournament rules, as you describe them are obfuscated: they started out simple, but have had layer after layer added onto them to the point that the whole is complex, even if the core is simple.

(Edit): And honestly I don't have a problem slowing down the game with actual dice-rolling, so long as it's *fun* dice-rolling. Throwing 20 or more dice at a single test is fun for me, though I may be biased because I use those mini-d6s from the Star Wars TCG game; 20 dice is like one handfull. smile.gif
Ellery

You'd prefer...what?  A single die roll to determine the fate of your latest player character, or (better yet) a single toss of a single die to determine whether that 250+ karma long-standing hero of yours lives or dies?

And why not ? If the game choose to make this impossible (and by the way I don't remember reading anything quite near that area in the game since SR1), let it be. You don't need to make what a single-simple-easy-fast roll can do into a several-hard to explain-stasticaly laughable-multiple reroll rolls to do that.

If the single easy fast roll is going to kill my character 5% of the time, and a slightly less easy, slightly less fast roll only does so 0.1% of the time--and is more realistic besides--then I am going to take the realistic, non-(randomly-lethal) method. You're saying you can't spend an extra few seconds on a die roll to avoid improperly and randomly killing a character that you've spent perhaps five hours a week on for a couple of years? That sounds like really bad time management to me.

It's not like we can have everything we want for free. If the dice would magically have wonderful statistical properties and be blissfully easy to roll and compute, that would be great. Like it or not, dice systems have drawbacks, and they can include a high-probability of random death to your character. Personally, I think that is a very bad attribute of any gaming system--random death with no way to recover.

(For those of you who played EverQuest, think sand and hill giants around Freeport; for AD&D players, remember system shock checks?)
Cain
Here's the problem that I'm having. People here are saying that Shadowrun is too complicated for people to easily assimilate, therefore it won't attract new players like D&D3 does. Am I right so far?

Well, WotC is releasing D&D for Dummies, indicating that their game is still too complicated for some of their targeted audience. It would appear that no matter how simplistic you make a system, there's going to be lots and lots of people who will find it "too complicated".

I'm another Shadowrun old-timer, who started playing in '89. I'd hate to see the game I love get oversimplified to appeal to a wider audience, because there's no lower limit to how oversimplified it could get. I'm in the "wait and see" camp; I'm going to give the game a fair try before I pass judgement. However, who can blame us for getting seriously nervous over this new direction?

Oh, BTW-- Synner, DE, is it within your NDAs to tell us who did the primary writing on SR3? There are some writers I have the utmost respect and faith for-- for example, if I knew Jay had done a lot of the writing, I'd feel a whole lot less nervous.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
What sounds reasonable to me is that you add/remove dice from the dice pool to account for player options, rather like it is in the current system where you can, for instance, withhold dice from your Sorcery test to increase the area of an area spell. Maybe you withhold pool dice from all tests made in that round to use in Dodge tests or something? *shrug*

The adjustment to threshold will be for GM (envorinment)-imposed modifiers; Blind Fire, for instance, would be a +4-8 to Threshold, for instance.

But then that's just what sounds reasonable to me. I'd also have players reroll 6s as if they were another die. This would mean, for instance, you roll 7d6 and get 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. You reroll the 6, getting a 5, and thus four (three plus the successful reroll)  total successes. Of course it's not my system, so I don't know if that's how it'll actually work or not, but that's what sounds intuitive to me.

My concern with that is the element of Purest Luck. Using the removing dice concept, then the odds of hitting something at pure random can ultimately be removed because when you have zero dice to roll because you've degraded a beginning characters (or NPC's for that matter) dice pool to zero then you get zero successes.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (mfb)
no reason besides the recent books, you mean. that most of these same devs were involved in writing. (assuming you liked the recent books, that is.)

Do not mistake the consideration that a decent story developer is not the same thing as a decent mechanics developer.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (Synner @ Apr 7 2005, 06:47 PM)
No more dice pools

This may or may not be correct. Meaning that while SR3 Dice Pools as you know them will be gone from SR4, as far as I know, no one has ruled out the possibility that their function and role in the game might be replaced by another mechanism.

Even if it's not in the core rules, there's nothing saying that a direct descendant of the existing Dice Pools won't turn up in a rules companion (and I think we all know that such a thing will come). Matter of fact, I believe that putting them into the next SRComp is the way to go; keep them out of the core rules for the sake of attracting new players, etc., and make them an optional rule for those who want them.

I think I'll just skip the rest.

Okay Patrick sorry to point this one out but as stated, this last post smacks of immense hypocrisy in development should it be accurate. If you create a game play mechanic system that is the basic/fundamental function and then expand on it by giving optional rules that then change the fundamental game play mechanic ... you've just given the reason to NOT have SR4.

Having alternate character creation options is one thing. Having different character archetypes is one thing. Have multiple game play mechanics is nothing but detrimental to the game play/flow. I mean really, look at the intragame mechanics for Riggers/Vehicles as to Non-Riggers. Hell, look at the conflicts that arise when you have a truly complicated series of combative actions invoking Rigging, Decking, Astral, Non-Astral. Albeit a blanket statement for a comparison IMO is, "for the purposes of game mechanics Time is Time ... measure it with one ruler and let the individual perceptions distort it later."
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Ellery)
I'm not quite sure, Synner, that any of the arguments you make aren't equally valid or more valid reasions for switching SR to d20.  That's simpler, people know the system, and it doesn't have to impact the setting hugely.  Seriously--why not SR d20?  It used to be a joke in very large part because everyone knew how different the SR system was and what a radical change it would be.  This change looks nearly as radical.

Just a suggestion, please do not make sweeping analogies of this nature. I for one (for instance) do not know the D20 system nor do a sizable chunk of my current game group.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Shadow)

Enhanced articulation doesn't really improve skills so much as it makes them easier to perform, so they would stack. It's a different kind of enhancement. But say cyber limbs with 4 points of strength wouldn't stack with an adept getting impv str 4 points.

Not that it's a different topic (it is obviously) but some magic works with some cyber and vice-versa.

Increased Reflexes (Spell) does NOT work with Wired Reflexes (Cyber), but Increased Reflexes (Spell) DOES work with Reaction Enhancers (Cyber). And btw, if you would have taken into account Man & Machine, then Increased <Physical Attribute> can and will work with a cybered body, but the concepts of biostress and such are likely to also come into play.

Sorry, flashbacks from my old days creeping in here.... cyber.gif
Kagetenshi
In general, it's preferable to edit new responses into a post rather than to double-, triple-, quadruple-, or quintuple-post.
QUOTE (NeoJudas)
QUOTE (Ellery)

Just a suggestion, please do not make sweeping analogies of this nature. I for one (for instance) do not know the D20 system nor do a sizable chunk of my current game group.

But amongst the people who make up the RPG populace (above defined as "people"), it is at this point probably not too far off to assume a basic familiarity with D20. It's a juggernaut.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012