Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is all blood magic evil?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Cynic project
I have read a few things on blood magic and soemtimes blood magic is not sucha bad thing.

So, is all blood magic evil or just the acts that most people use it for?
LinaInverse
IIRC, for Blood magic to work at all, the mage has to kill someone w/i 24 hours, with a personal (ie, hand-held melee) weapon. That's normally pretty evil.
BitBasher
In a nutshell, yes.

Assuming of course you actually believe in evil as a concept.
Garland
Blood Magic as presented in SR is evil. Blood Magic as presented in ED could be either, it depended upon the usage.
Tanka
Blood Magic in ED is more of a holy vow than what most call magic.
Ancient History
Well, I go into more detail concerning that here, but in a jiffy:

There are uses of blood magic which are not inherently evil, but they represent what most would consider a dangerous or at least disturbing mental state, similiar to sadomasochism, and fraught with potential for abuse.

To whit, it is not inherently evil for a blood magician to draw blood for blood magic. Sacrificing another living being, even a willing being, either to power blood magic or summon a blood spirit is evil.

Summoning a blood spirit period is pretty much evil. You could, theoretically, have a magician sacrifice themself to summon a blood spirit with the intention of stopping some monstrous evil, but even assuming the summoning goes off without a hitch, the magician is dead and the blood spirit immediately goes free or fades away...and the chances the spirit turns out good are still slim.
banditf50
IIRC the original Great Ghost Dance was a form of blood magic as it required the sacrifice of individuals in order to power the magic. Though in that case all the subjects were volunteers.

Am I remembering this correctly?
Ancient History
Sort of. Spells on the level of the Great Ghost Dance have their drain measured in lives, not boxes of damage. Sometimes these lives are given williningly, as in the GGD, sometimes not.
Chibu
IIRC, What is used mostly in shadowrun as 'Blood magic' is not the same as in ED. In ED, blood magic is just taking a permanent wound (loosing essence basicaly) to enhance the effect of some magic ability. For the most part, no one (except the Light Barers) really has any problem with it. However, in Earthdawn, i do recall a couple of references to what they called "Death Magic" which sounds to me to be basicly the same thing as in SR. And, yes, it was also concidered evil, no questions asked back then.

IIRC that is. ^-^
Ancient History
Okay, now would be a good time to pop certain popular myths. (Sorry Chibu, no offense.)

QUOTE (Chibu)
What is used mostly in shadowrun as 'Blood magic' is not the same as in ED.

Yes and no. Parts of Sacrificing resemble Death Magic in ED, but ED lacks blood spirits just as SR lacks certain other aspects of blood magic, like blood oaths. Case in point:

QUOTE (Chibu)
In ED, blood magic is just taking a permanent wound (loosing essence basicaly) to enhance the effect of some magic ability.

No. ED doesn't have a proper equivalent to Essence (although one may argue that the Depatterning Rating is representative of Essence Loss), and even then rarely inflicts permanent wounds. Most blood magic is temporary damage for a temporary boost--not unlike the Attribute Boost adept power in SR, which gives a short boost but causes the adept to suffer drain.

QUOTE (Chibu)
For the most part, no one (except the Light Barers) really has any problem with it.

Blood magic is a matter of serious moral debate among many, especially considering the Blood Elves and the profligate use of blood charms and death magic by Therans. The Lightbearers, however, are the only organization which forswears its use entirely due to the complications and implications of its use.

QUOTE (Chibu)
However, in Earthdawn, i do recall a couple of references to what they called "Death Magic" which sounds to me to be basicly the same thing as in SR.

Correct. Death Magic is the closest to Sacrificing in SR, damaging another metahuman to power or boost a spell.

QUOTE (Chibu)
And, yes, it was also concidered evil, no questions asked back then.

Many considered blood magic evil, and most agreed that Death Magic was evil. THe actual moral arguements and camps are many and varied, some consider it a necessary evil, while others see it as another source of [pwer.
Edward
If your after a canon point from SR I give you this.

All blood mages (those with the sacrificing metamagic) have a potency rating

I think that indicates that the sacrificing metamagic is evil.

Edward
Ancient History
Or restricted to NPCs. nyahnyah.gif
kevyn668
To the Dark Side, this path leads...
Pthgar
Reformed blood mage with Dark Secret flaw geased to never kill another living being. Kept on a short leash by a group who uses said mage for their own dirty work (maybe the AF or the DF). Could be a mysterious NPC or an intersting PC.
SpasticTeapot
As I recall, you can still get a boost to your spell power without killing the target. And the targets can be themselves. Starting to get a picture?

I can imagine mages of the Church sacrificing their own blood to do things like banish Bug spirits and heal wounds. It's sort of a metaphorical example of sacrificing one's self for the benifit of others, not unlike Jesus supposedly did. It might also be used by other religions in conjunction with animal sacrifices (which are not necessarily evil, and were very popular all over the world at one point), or blood-letting ceremonies to aid a religious leader in, say, summoning a powerful spirit to guard the place of worship.
Really, all things considered, there are a lot of people who give blood to save others' lives; why not give the blood for the purpose of magical healing instead? (In shock trauma wards, a bunch of people with too much time and not enough could sit about, get soaked once or twice every so often to save someone who would otherwise die without powerful mojo, and then recuperate at the hostpital's expense. Money and plushy surroundings plus free healthcare is'nt so bad for occasionally having someone cut your wrist, at least if you're a squatter on the streets of Seattle.)
fistandantilus4.0
I believe the sacrifice metamgic specifies a sentient sacrifice, so no animals.

Which begs the question, why do the druids (well, some of them) do it? Yes, it's part of the ritual. WHY is it part of the ritual?
Sharaloth
Food? Auguries? Because that's the way they used to do it?

There's a lot of reasons why sacrifices are performed, and animal sacrifices are fairly cheap and easy, whereas human sacrifices can get you in trouble. The WHY is probably best left to the particular magi-religious tradition their starting from. Hell, no one really knows why the ancient Druids did whatever they did, maybe the SR ones are working off the Vedas with a few words changed to avoid feeding the wrong Gods.
Apathy
In MitS, isn't there something about some of the aboriginies using blood magic with self inflicted injuries to power their magic? (thought I read that somewhere...)
Penta
Yeah, damn if I remember the page though.

My thoughts: All blood magic is evil. Period.

A very real thought is of the effect blood magic would have on the view of, well...the humanity of people.

At what point, with blood magic, do people cease being people and become simply batteries? And that is what would happen, without exception, when you use blood magic.

That's inhuman enough that I can't think of any sane culture that would not call it evil.

Now, are there potential exceptions? Sure.

The Great Ghost Dance could be viewed as one; It did not deny or sublimate the humanity of those who died. Their humanity was at the very heart of it; they willingly participated and willingly gave the fullest measure of their devotion to the cause.

Similarly with Dunkelzahn's sacrifice of himself to power the Dragonheart. His humanity (for lack of a better term) was expressed to its fullest in that act; he sacrificed his life, quite willingly, in order to protect the whole of Mankind.

But, otherwise? No. No. No.
Talia Invierno
You beat me to the mention of Dunkelzahn, Penta smile.gif

We're getting into a means vs. end argument here. So maybe the "evil" of blood magic is measurable by:

(1) Is it something entered into voluntarily by the one doing the sacrificing, be they mage or mundane?

(2) Does the culture value anything over the rights of the individual, and is the rite undertaken to ensure the safety of that greater value? (I know there'll be screaming about this one ... but what are law-enforcement people and bodyguards and even electrical linesmen asked to do regularly, after all? There is even an existing economic mathematical function that shows that the odds of dying on the job can be directly related to a specific salary increase.)

As to why spilling blood is so often a part of ritual, I'll borrow from Spike in Buffy (again smile.gif):
Buffy: Why is it always blood?
Spike: Blood is life.

... and suggest that magic/mana is an aspect of living/dying; and that there is nothing so strongly associated with the realities, the gut-truth-awareness-knowledge of what it means to be alive and not alive as blood. The rest of us, bits and pieces of abstract flesh that in the SR universe is more and more being replaced with bits of metal -- but no matter how metallic we become, the blood still pumps through our veins.
Demonseed Elite
Really, it depends on who you ask. Shadowrun, by and large, describes it as an evil act. But if you were to ask a Sioux if the Sun Dance (which includes voluntary and painful bloodletting in an appeal to the spirits) is evil, you'd either get laughed at or they'd be insulted. And modern-day members of Opus Dei, the conservative Catholic group that uses a band of sharp wire wrapped around the thigh that often can draw blood as a show of their faith, were very insulted when author Dan Brown portrayed their activities as devious in The DaVinci Code. These acts could easily be extended to magic in SR, and it'd be debatable if it were evil.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Penta)
The Great Ghost Dance could be viewed as one; It did not deny or sublimate the humanity of those who died. Their humanity was at the very heart of it; they willingly participated and willingly gave the fullest measure of their devotion to the cause.

This was evil. It sacrificed people who may or may not have been wholly willing, who had been exploited by the fear-mongering and hate-spreading Daniel Howling Coyote. It was an act that destroyed the very balance of the weather, and the lives of millions.
Similarly with Dunkelzahn's sacrifice of himself to power the Dragonheart. His humanity (for lack of a better term) was expressed to its fullest in that act; he sacrificed his life, quite willingly, in order to protect the whole of Mankind.

This too was evil, for it disrupted the natural order of things. Our masters were halted at the Bridge by this vile act.

~J
Talia Invierno
It's all in the perspective grinbig.gif
Dawnshadow
Alright.. completely ignoring "magic" for the moment..

Is it evil when someone deliberately throws himself in the path of a bullet to protect someone? Is it evil when someone sacrifices their life to accomplish something? (For instance, stay and shut down the reactor to prevent another Chernobyl -- knowing it's going to kill you)

Self-sacrifice is by nature not an evil act. Neither is sacrifice in general: if you have only one person who can accomplish the task and you make sure they do it, then it's the task that determines whether or not it is an evil act. Ordering someone to shut down the reactor -- not an evil act. Ordering someone to detonate the bomb? Very much an evil act.

Now.. applying magic to the question. Is killing someone for magic inherently an evil act? I apply the same standards: the task determines whether or not it's evil. Necessity, situation, cost/benefit, willingness. I would say that an unwilling participant by nature taints the act -- but I wouldn't say that it necessairily makes it evil, just that it can make it evil. If you've got the choice of sacrificing one unwilling person or "sacrificing" a thousand by not performing the ritual... It's definately more evil, but I would say it's the lesser of the two evils. By far.

And getting to the humanity of people.. well.. that's a valid point. But, I don't think that it by nature has that effect. I think that it has the potential to, depending on the personality of the person doing the sacrifice. Someone who treats someone being a willing sacrifice as someone giving a gift of tremendous worth to be used at the greatest need.. will hardly consider people to be batteries. Someone else very well might. Some might after the first rush.. some might after the fiftieth.. some might after the five hundred thousandth.

All of that being said, I do think that blood magic has the potential to be a tremendously evil act, and that it's easier to be an evil act. I just don't think it must be an evil act.
Kagetenshi
Actually, according to some religious standards it isn't your life to end. I don't know of anyone who argue that self-sacrifice is thus evil, but it's a possible logical extension.

~J
hahnsoo
All I have to say: Thank God Shadowrun doesn't have a silly alignment system.
Foreigner
Um, do vampires count? smile.gif

The traditional, blood-sucking kind, that is.

After all, a guy's/gal's gotta eat....

hahnsoo: I second that motion. Under the rules of "That Other Game," my character (or at least his namesake, the fellow from Marvel Comics) would probably be classified as a Chaotic Evil or Chaotic Neutral (possibly Chaotic Good, but I doubt it--the only thing that comes anywhere near qualifying him for that alignment is that he refuses to accept contracts on women and children; he also goes out of his way to minimize collateral damage if at all possible--however, many of his former employees at The 1400 Club had no such scruples), as he kills people for whoever's willing to meet his price ($1,000,000 U.S., as of June, 1987 (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Volume 1, Issue #289).

Incidentally, is the reference to "That Other Game" some sort of RPG player's superstition? Fore example, professional stage actors refer to MacBeth as "That Scottish play", or as "William Shakespeare's Scottish play"--supposedly because mentioning it by name, especially in a theater, is bad luck. For the same reason, it's traditional to say "Break a leg!" rather than "Good Luck!" on opening night.

Just curious. smile.gif

--Foreigner
Ancient History
QUOTE (Foreigner)
Um, do vampires count? smile.gif

No, but see references on the appropriate pages.

QUOTE (Foreigner)
Incidentally, is the reference to "That Other Game" some sort of RPG player's superstition?

Nah. Actually, it stems from Earthdawn players, on the old KEEP boards and oter places. Because comparing ED and DnD was paramount to trolling. So to keep the peace, and get in a small jibe, everyone began referring to it as "That Other Game."
hahnsoo
Really? I've always referred to it as the Other Game, and this was before Earthdawn came out... ever since I started playing Shadowrun, I haven't looked back. I'm sure it's a case of parallel thinking. Probably hundreds (if not thousands) of SR gamers feel the same way.
Crimson Jack
I've always thought of blood magic as pretty frickin' evil. I suppose the magicians who use their own blood (ie weak blood mages) might not necessarily be considered evil. But who's gonna stop there?

As someone else brought up, if Potency is involved, I'm generally ruling that the NPC in possession of it is someone whom the PCs are against. I generally don't use the word "evil" in my games anyways, so its a bit of a moot point for me.
SpasticTeapot
Saying that spilling your own blood to save others = evil mean that you're saying that Christianity=load of BS. Wether the latter is acutally your belief is one thing, but the fact is, an entire religion is centered in part around an event involving a man spilling his blood to erase the sin of the world. (Or something like that...I'm Jewish.)
Also, the people=batteries issue is NON-EXISISTENT if you only use yourself as a target. Sacrificing your own blood to heal another is in no way is hardly an evil act; mages risk killing themselves every day just by using powerful spells. This method, which will do a preset amount of damage but lessen the chances of being killed, is only slightly different.
Crimson Jack
Yes, but blood magic as a whole isn't always (nor often, dare I say) about using just one's own blood. The horror stories that abound are from the unwilling participants who've shed their mortal coil at the end of a ceremonial dagger to power something they might not even comprehend. That starts getting close to the concept of evil.

Although I agree with you about the whole spilling one's own blood to save others isn't evil. That's downright selfless. smile.gif
Dawnshadow
The possibility and propensity for abuse does not determine whether or not something is inherently evil. It makes it possible and probable -- not certain. Large difference that most people don't seem to accept. Most seem to agree that someone using their own blood isn't evil.. but are insisting that blood magic is. But.. whether it's your own or someone else's blood, it's still blood magic, so it's either always evil, or depends on practitioner.
Crimson Jack
However, since its considered one of the paths of the Corrupted, its a strong argument that it is by default. On a whole, it smacks of pretty bad juju. But, technically you're right. Just because someone has the potential power to unleash hell doesn't actually make them a corrupted evil being until they do so. heh.
Deamon_Knight
Also remember, this discussion is inherently metagaming. The possibility or probablity for abuse come directly into play when you consider what your character would know. If all their experince (Aztlan blood festivals perhaps?) indicates that blood magic is seriously evil, anyone they come in contact with who uses it will have to take some extreme measures to prove that they aren't evil.

Also, dosen't Blood Magic tend to draw the attention of Blood Spirits? Or Bug Spirits, if you consider that Bugs IIRC have to "consume" a person as a host, that may also be blood magic. Regardless, is there any evidence that Blood Spirits would persue any ends that could be considered not evil? What are they common motivations? If incarnations of Blood Magic trend evil, thats a strong indicator.
Dawnshadow
Oh, I'm not arguing that 99% of people practicing blood magic aren't evil things that need shot five or six times while they sleep.. just that it's something more than the blood magic that makes it so. They are likely the type of person that given any major sort of power, would become corrupted by it.

In fact.. is blood magic corrupting? Or is it a path of power that's taken primarily (or even almost exclusively) by those who are already corrupt?
Talia Invierno
The argument has been made, here and elsewhere, that power tends to be corrupting -- and blood magic is certainly powerful. Are there people able and willing to wield power without being corrupted? Is one person's "corruption" another person's "necessary means to an end"?
Dawnshadow
Good question Talia-- I would say 'yes'.

A bad person given power will still be a bad person. A good person given power will still be a good person. The problem is people that you don't know -- the average person, neither good nor evil. They might be a little on the evil side, they might be a little on the good side.. and when they get an infusion of power, they can go either way. It could 'corrupt' them, or it could motivate them to become one of the 'good guys'.

As for corruption vs 'necessairy means to necessairy end'..

I'm a big fan of practicality. If you're a strong, law-abiding person, but you need to break the law to do something.. then you do it, and you take the punishment handed down by the appropriate authority. Basically, to put it in immensely simple terms.. If you regret, even hate, every time you had to do x, y, and z, then you are not corrupted. When you stop caring.. then you've become corrupted.
Talia Invierno
"When you stop caring ..." about the law, about consequences, or about the effects on other people?
Fortune
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
A good person given power will still be a good person.

I think it is more accurate to state 'a good person given power might still be a good person'.
Dawnshadow
The ones that are appropriate -- personally, the big one is the affects on other people. The law? If it's a "good" law, then it should be regretted. If it's a stupid/inane/bad law? Whole different ball game. The consequences? Depends on which. If you're ticked that you're being punished for breaking the law, doesn't count. If you're relieved that it's all over? That counts. If it's something about you, doesn't count.. if it's about other people, then it counts. It's the "selfish" vs "selfless".
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Apr 10 2005, 12:42 AM)
A good person given power will still be a good person.

I think it is more accurate to state 'a good person given power might still be a good person'.

Just giving a good person power won't change their basic nature.

If you've got someone who's "good" because they don't have the power to be "evil".. then they aren't really a good person. If you've got someone who's "good" just because they don't want to be otherwise? Then they'll stay good. Other circumstances could change it -- but just giving them power, that won't, in and of itself.
Talia Invierno
What constitutes a "good" law -- that opens up yet another can of worms. To take one real-life example, to some people any law that limits personal freedom over actions not directly affecting other people is necessarily a "bad" law ... while in contrast, many who might argue exactly this way in general, might take a hard-line stance in the opposite direction where abortion is concerned (the reasoning being that in their pov, abortion does directly affect another person -- as murder).

Heh -- any of you ever participated on a medium-to-large size on-line board where there is a strong schism between admins along the "corruption" lines? (It rarely seems to happen on boards with fewer than 100 members.) Especially when you knew one or more of the persons involved before they were admin'ed, and you're really feeling like asking, "Who are you, and what have you done with [...]?"
Fortune
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Apr 10 2005, 12:57 AM)

That's a huge generalization. The adage 'Power Corrupts' does have a basis in truth. Giving someone power gives them the responsibility to use it, as well as the opportunity. People can change for various reasons, and one of those factors can be power. What I said was that a person 'might' still be good, as opposed to your statement that they 'will' still be good. I stand by that.

Of course, this all assumes that there is such a thing as a truly 'good' person, or even a truly 'evil' person.
Dawnshadow
You're quite right Talia -- there are a lot of laws that are in the murky area of reasonable disagreement (ie/abortion)

On the other hand, you also get laws like segregation, and laws that are based on some specific belief (unfortunately, and very typically, religion)..

I don't think anyone would see breaking a law against helping someone after they've been beaten as bad, or worth regretting.

Doesn't just happen on boards Talia -- you also see it on MUDs and MUSHs, even the smaller ones.

You have people that don't cheat at all as players.
You have people that cheat.
You have people that just don't cheat.

You don't give the first 2 admin jobs, because they will cheat. Almost 100% of the time. The third? They won't cheat. They might not be good admins for other reasons, but they won't cheat.

I think a good way to describe it might be 'power adds to what tendencies you already have as a person'. You might not see those tendencies in people because they don't have the ability to demonstrate them -- they only show up later, when the person has enough power to act on them.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Apr 10 2005, 12:57 AM)

That's a huge generalization. The adage 'Power Corrupts' does have a basis in truth. Giving someone power gives them the responsibility to use it, as well as the opportunity. People can change for various reasons, and one of those factors can be power. What I said was that a person 'might' still be good, as opposed to your statement that they 'will' still be good. I stand by that.

Of course, this all assumes that there is such a thing as a truly 'good' person, or even a truly 'evil' person.

I'm actually ignoring everything but power itself specifically Fortune -- I agree that people can change. What I've been trying to say that power ALONE won't corrupt a person. Aggravating factor? Certainly, but not just having power.
Talia Invierno
I think a good way to describe it might be 'power adds to what tendencies you already have as a person'. You might not see those tendencies in people because they don't have the ability to demonstrate them -- they only show up later, when the person has enough power to act on them.

I like this way of approaching it -- although I'd add to "don't have ability to demonstrate them", also that maybe they never before had a perceived need for power. When everyone agrees on what the rules should be and follows them because, well, it just is -- what need to enforce them?

Just for the sake of debate, the example I was thinking of -- appropriate, considering the new SW film is soon to open -- was what happened at TheForce.net, with people who came across as regular people who had a passion for what had brought them together: which was fine, so long as the community was small and tight and the social mores were agreed upon by (virtually) everyone.

Then the first of the prequels was released, and membership exploded -- and along with numbers, also in the expectations and mores and even basic demographic shifts with all that goes along with that (where before most had remembered the release of at least one of the original trilogy prior to special edition, probably 90% of the new members were under 20). People everyone had accepted as "good" or "decent" were suddenly placed in the position of having to enforce what had always previously been understood. The reactions among existing admins ranged from tyrannical to lackadaisical to just vanish altogether, as the old cadre of admins tried to enforce the membership's actions in the image of the old social mores -- and failed, and, well, "corrupt" became a very common usage word, and not altogether inaccurately. Membership pressure brought new admins in to help the old ones: trying to deal with what they saw as being "corrupt", they became tyrannical in the opposite direction ... and again the word "corrupt" was flung about. This pattern happened repeatedly.

But here's the interesting thing: not one of the active admins ever did anything that they didn't see as being in the membership's interest. The vast majority of the actions taken was because they were trying to help improve the quality of posting life for everyone. It's important to understand that none of them, even those most singled out as "corrupt" in later months, were the equivalent of "cheats" to begin with.

Coming back to blood magic: I think, by now, that there's no question in any of our minds that what's involved is power. The only question we're really tossing about is the question of how much power is enough (means to an end), what types of power are more acceptable than others (edit: social mores; or moral absolutes?), and what access to such power ends up doing to a person (in the sense of bringing out what's already there). After all, we all have a shadow nature devil.gif

But all magic, by its very nature, alters the environment around the caster -- and that could easily include the people around the caster. Just look at the way PCs tend to react to other PCs casting mind control spells on them -- and yet no one seriously argues that mind control spells shouldn't be used on NPCs. Is raping a person's most intimate thoughts or twisting a person's emotions somehow more "good" than killing them to power a spell?
Fortune
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
What I've been trying to say that power ALONE won't corrupt a person.

And I'm saying that is an inaccurate statement, in that it is a massive generalization. All I am saying is that power alone could corrupt a person, not that it necessarily will.
Ancient History
I might just be trying to simplify the issue, but let's try again:

What is Evil?
This is more-or-less dependant on your religion, social more, philosophy, etc. But it can be generally agreed that killing or harming a sentient being (some would say living being) that, for one reason or another, cannot or will not resist, is evil.

What is Blood Magic?
In Shadowrun, blood magic is a magical technique that can reduce the drain from or boost the effects of magic, by physically harming the caster or by physically harming or slaying a sentient being that cannot or will not resist. It may also be used to summon blood spirits, beings which feed off the life of other beings, by slaying a living being.

Is Blood Magic Evil?
Certain aspects of it are, according to most circumstances and philosophies, certainly evil. Sacrificing another, a helpless victim, to cast a spell or summon a blood spirit is evil. There are some, exceedingly rare instances where this might be for the greater good...but it's still evil.

Is Blood Magic Corrupting?
It can be, but it is not inherently corrupting. All power presents the potential for abuse. Blood magic's potential is perhaps easier to recognize because as it is presented, the most corrupt aspects (sacrificing others for spells and summonings) are routinely utilized by the most common practitioners.

Can Only the Corrupt Learn Blood Magic?
No. The Koradji, for example, are not corrupt and may know blood magic.

This isn't a class on morality or philosophy. We all recognize the adage "Power corrupts" because we believe it. No one is a saint, and what might seem sinful to one individual might not to another.

One magician might find no serious problem in slaying a rabbit to summon a blood spirit, while another would refuse to sacrifice any living creature.

One magician might avoid all detection spells out of respect for the innate right to privacy of others, another might use such spells to live out their voyeuristic fantasies and profit off the secrets of others.

One magician might tout blood magic as evil because of the lives it takes, and yet routinely slay others with powerful combat spells.

One blood magician might be willing to slay others for blood magic, but only those who willingly sacrifice themselves, and only as necessary for the good of the community.

Ye've all been talking in circle about whether or not power corrupts, and to what extant outside factors have on it. What you've really been asking is "Does blood magic corrupt?" The answer is no, by itself it's just a magical technique. How you use it determines whether or not you corrupt yourself, and that depends on the individual magician.
Dawnshadow
Ancient History -- I agree utterly.

Talia, those are some excellent points. I agree, especially with the expanding on the 'demonstrating' part. It makes perfect sense.

Fortune: When has giving someone power caused corruption, in and of itself, with no other factors involved? Power corrupts is something to bear in mind, but it doesn't do it in isolation. If you suddenly gave someone, who is generally good, power, they won't just do something evil because they can. They might do something evil because they're put in a situation that lends itself to doing evil -- but that's still not 'power' corrupting them. Power is contributing, but it is not the power itself corrupting. Power may make someone VASTLY more susceptable to corrupting influences and situations, but that is still not corrupting in and of itself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012