Omer Joel
Let the numbers speak for themselves.

In the SR3 core book, the artwork shows in total:
Humans: 77 Males and 24 Females
Elves: 16 Males and 7 Females.
Orks: 20 Males and 1 Female.
Dwarves: 9 Males and 1 Female.
Trolls: 14 Males and no Females.

In the books I have with me, the following female, non-elf metahumans in artwork were in:

SR3 P.76 - an Ork Rat Shaman (considered "female" only due to the description beneath it).
SR3 P.78 - A Dwarf Raven Shaman
CC P.59 - Two fantasized (BTL-ed) "ork" prostitues, look far more similar to elves (except for tusks, that is).
Brainscan P.39 - Dwarf Ganger
SRC P.40 - a Gnome

I also know of one in Mercurial and one in another adventure.

The issue is that I have a hard time imagining my female Ork NPC. Humans I know how they look (from RL wink.gif) and there are enough Elves to see in SR3 artwork, but the "uglier" (from a corp's, and apparantly FASA's perspective) Metahumans are shown as Male-only.

Any fan-art in this department?
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Omer Joel @ Apr 17 2005, 02:23 AM)
Humans I know how they look (from RL)

Sorry I have nothing intelligent to add to this thread, I just thought it was hilarious that you "clarified" that it was from real life that you knew how humans look.

edit: Whoops! I meant, it's late and I'm tired. Also, various grammatical errors.
Omer Joel
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Omer Joel @ Apr 17 2005, 02:23 AM)
Humans I know how they look (from RL)

I just thought it was hilarious that you "clarified" that it was from real life that you knew how humans look.

As intended smile.gif
FrostyNSO
*damn funny* to me right now...thanks for the good laugh rollin.gif
hermit
Okay ... I have recently drawn Torz' orc sammy NPC (link and link). Also, there's a female orc (Fatima) depicted in SSG, in the reporter-interviews-shadowrunners section. I have yet to find a female troll though. Trying to draw one, as is, actually. If it turns out okay, I'll post it in the art attack thread.
Dog
I think that female orc in SSG is about the best example I've seen.

My friend and I have both taken a shot at interpreting her troll character. Hers looks like Disney's version of an eight foot tall nymph on steroids, mine looks like the troll on p. 17, CC, in drag.

There're some female ghouls in the glossies of Cyberpirates.

Harlequin one. p. 91. Back of the line. Female ork? Also on page 108. Well, the name tag says "Betty" anyway....

I thought there was a female orc in shades somewhere towards the back of NAGNA. That's the part I'm missing, though.

NAGRL, p. 6. Too old n' ugly to be an elf. And size-compare to the guy next to her. An ork?
Arethusa
Guys, everyone knows all female metahumans are elves, and all female elves are lesbians. No one knows why, exactly. I mean, that damn Awakening, it did some crazy things. We're all just going to have to try and live with it as best we can.
ElFenrir
i'd like to see someone to a drawing of Ms. Manners, the troll who's the charisma teacher who can 'take a ghoul and turn her into Miss Universe.'. For some reason i picture her looking like my old proper music teacher, only a troll. biggrin.gif
hermit
There also was a female orc on the cover of the German version of one of the Sargent/Gasgoigne novels. Also, check out Elfwood for female orc pics. Not all look like SR orcs, but it sure helps you get started.

If you'd have a picture of your teacher, I could try myself on her.
hobgoblin
there is a female troll in target:matrix. dressed up as a catholic school-girl. atleast i think its a troll...
Mr.Cato
the SR3 GM screen has a female troll rigger on one front..

..I think

don't have it here to check...
hermit
Isn't that an orc?
ElFenrir
Ahh, sadly, no pics of the old teacher.

I recall the female orc in the SR2 book. A small picture, but i remember her wearing a Slayer shirt, so i thought it was pretty cool.
Thanos007
One of the reasons there isn't any troll and little orc females represented may be due to FASA/FanPro not really deciding on what exactly they look like. I mean come on! How many over weight orc and troll males have you seen? I can only come up with one fit orc male from SOTA:63 in the merc section. Sure both meta types are supposed to be "stocky" but until recently stocky was a big boned structure not fat with a gut hangin over the waist of your pants.

Now I'm certain that there are trolls and orc that are fat just like humans but we do get to see some physically fit humans in SR art. I say equal treatment for the metas! I imagine an attractive orc female looking like a WWW Raw diva only with tusks. Big kinda broad shouldered but cut or at least trim and toned.

Thanos
RangerJoe
Man, I think TrollBabe would have some strong words for this thread. Sadly, in the absence of illos, she exists in all of her high-charisma lusciousness only in my mind....
hermit
Post a description, then!

Also, I fail to see what makes the rigger figure either a troll or a female. It looks like a male orc to me (in typical Mark Zug style).
blakkie
QUOTE (hermit)
Post a description, then!

Also, I fail to see what makes the rigger figure either a troll or a female. It looks like a male orc to me (in typical Mark Zug style).

It never occured to me before that it might be female. Maybe it's the two blue beads tied up in it's hair?

P.S. I kinda assumed it was an orc, with the War -Pig- tattoo and all. I know SR orcs aren't really pigish, but still it was sort of the tilling factor beyond the relatively soft looking hide and lack of horns.
hermit
Mark Zug trolls always have horns. And bigger chins.

I second it's an orc. Aside from the "war pig" tatoo, and the absense oc horns, there's also the greenish skin colour Zug orcs tend to have (Zug trolls don't).
winterhawk11
My favorite pic of a female ork is Pita, on the cover of Lisa Smedman's The Lucifer Deck. She's attractive in a tusky sort of way, without looking like somebody's PlayOrk fantasy bimbo.
kackling kactuar
I'm sorry to say this, but fantasy bimbo and ork should never, ever be in the same sentence.
Kaosaur
QUOTE (kackling kactuar)
I'm sorry to say this, but fantasy bimbo and ork should never, ever be in the same sentence.

orks need fantasy lovin' too!
kackling kactuar
The Great Question of Life™: Do orks actually find other orks attractive?
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Kaosaur)
QUOTE (kackling kactuar @ Apr 17 2005, 05:03 PM)

orks need fantasy lovin' too!

They just have to pay for it.

there is a female troll in target:matrix. dressed up as a catholic school-girl. atleast i think its a troll...

Oh yeah, I remember that picture...She has a copy of the Troll Kama Sutra, IIRC...
Arethusa
QUOTE (kackling kactuar @ Apr 17 2005, 05:16 PM)
The Great Question of Life™: Do orks actually find other orks attractive?

I've mentioned it a number of times, and I'll mention it again. Around page 50 or so in the SSG, in the section on race, gender, and sexuality in society, there's a picture of an elf and an ork holding eachother. Both are really very attractive. It's amazing what can happen when a competent artist manages to work on this stuff instead of the usual crap.
Crimson Jack
In response to the original post: That's funny. I've thought about that before. Basically, "what exactly would a large troll woman look like?" Every once in a while, I explore this in describing a female metahuman as an NPC in my campaign.
WhiteRabbit
I'm fairly certain that the tall person on the cover of MrJLBB is a female troll.
Crimson Jack
I agree that it's supposed to be one. wink.gif
Arethusa
:baleeted:
Tziluthi
Unfortunately, I can only recall seeing one female troll, and she was in Denziens of Earthdawn. Not exactly SR, but there you go.
torzzzzz
Being female, it douse not bother me at the lack of them in source material as SR is a male dominated game ( i don't mean that in a sexist way) Hermit has been great and put some flesh on my characters for me. ( Thanks mate)

The only thing that really pisses me off is the females always being portraied as some sort of sex goddess or something!

torz x wink.gif nyahnyah.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
The only thing that really pisses me off is the females always being portraied as some sort of sex goddess or something!

Well it's like you said, SR is a male-dominated game; people go with what sells, and sex sells. smile.gif
DragginSPADE
There's also a picture of a female ork prosititue in Tir na nOg. It's pretty well done, but unfortunately I don't have the book with me so I can't give you a page number.
Vuron
Obviously trolls are a sex linked expression for some percentage of orks. Thus there are only male trolls and those come from some percentage of ork births wink.gif

Granted this obviously isn't canonical but it could be an interesting idea.
Pthgar
QUOTE (WhiteRabbit)
I'm fairly certain that the tall person on the cover of MrJLBB is a female troll.

Agree.
Apathy

RPGs do have a stupid habit of having the females run around in chainmail bikinis and crap like that, but I thought SR was a little better than most. SR3, SotF, SRComp, and MitS all have covers showing females in more-or-less normal looking clothes (jeans/t-shirts/coats). If they wanted to be truly realistic, they'd throw some body armor on them too, but at least it's better than nothing.
Pthgar
RPGs (both pen and paper and video game) play to their demographics. Same reason beer commercials have bikini models in them. Something that unites nerds and jocks. wink.gif

Not that I am saying, bring on the cheesecake. I would actually like to see less. Time to shed the "lonley loser" image.
Starglyte
Let alone the fact that most of the males in the artwork are portrayed with abs like you would see on the Greek gods.
Pthgar
Well, as a lifelong comic book fan, I guess I've grown a little desensitized to artistic portrayals of characters as idealized. That's also the reason I don't really have a problem with some of the more "cartoony" art in the SR books. I like comic art. Although, some of the SR stuff goes overboard, even for me.

Come to think of it, every one in our group (except my wife) were into comics way before they were into RPGs.
hermit
I've mentioned it a number of times, and I'll mention it again. Around page 50 or so in the SSG, in the section on race, gender, and sexuality in society, there's a picture of an elf and an ork holding eachother. Both are really very attractive. It's amazing what can happen when a competent artist manages to work on this stuff instead of the usual crap.

Yeah, the orc is handsome, in a klingon sort of way. No really, you're right. Interesting pic. Who did that pic?

Ha! Well, if it's of any condolence to you, most guys are too. Only specific male characters look less than handsome, and those usually look like Vladimir Harkonen already. Little to no middle way there. Guess that's a bit because RPGs are very much influenced by comic culture.

But SR is quite moderate in that respect. I always was (pleasantly) surprised that most SR females look (okay, almost) like they were actually, you know, in for a serious fight, not a catwalk on some Victoria's Secret 1600 AD catalogue presentation! Pick up a D&D 1 book if you want to see really unrealistic women! wink.gif
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Starglyte)
Let alone the fact that most of the males in the artwork are portrayed with abs like you would see on the Greek gods.

What, you mean your abs don't look like that?
Ancient History
I've seen SuperSaiyajin4 with less well-defined abs. eek.gif
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Apathy)
If they wanted to be truly realistic, they'd throw some body armor on them too, but at least it's better than nothing.

Yeah, naked shadowrunning went out of style a while ago.
Fortune
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Yeah, naked shadowrunning went out of style a while ago.

Tell that to the characters with Ruthenium Dermal Sheathing. wink.gif
Pthgar
"Wear Second Skin Body Armor for that Barbarian Princess look on your runs!"
Starglyte
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (Starglyte @ Apr 18 2005, 10:18 AM)

What, you mean your abs don't look like that?

Nope. In fact, I have been described by my friends as the only skinny fat man they know. I'm trying to figure that out myself.
Edward
Part of the reason why SR art usually portrays fit and good looking characters is that shadow runners are fit (they have to be). And I don’t know about you but as I walk around I find most fit people look good or at worst plain (and that is a distinction that only shows up in the best artwork).

At least most of the art in SR includes functional clothing. The prior comment about body armour is not valid IMO as most characters have a tendency to wear concealed armour.

Edward
Grinder
QUOTE (Pthgar)
RPGs (both pen and paper and video game) play to their demographics. Same reason beer commercials have bikini models in them. Something that unites nerds and jocks. wink.gif

Not in germany man, not in germany. We may have good beer (no wait, i know we have great beer! biggrin.gif) but no girls appearing in commercials. Sometimes germany sucks. wink.gif
torzzzzz
OK, the blokes get it to, I must admit SR is not too bad on the scantaly clad woman stakes! wink.gif

torz x
mmu1
I think there a number of problems with SR art (too many to list, but these are the ones that stand out to me):

1. Orcs in general are drawn quite badly as ugly humans with absurdly oversized tusks, which is a style that doesn't lend itself to a lot of variation, especially when it comes to the range of (human) facial expressions.

2. Dwarves are uniformly drawn with legs even shorter in respect to their bodies than the background material indicates, heads too large for their bodies, no necks, and noses that make Gerard Depardieu's profile look classical.

3. Trolls... Faces aside, trolls (and orcs, to a lesser degree) are portrayed as absurdly over-muscled considering their stats (+4 str, +5 bod). It's less of an issue when you consider their supposed height of 2.8 meters, but they still somehow all end up with weighlifter's physiques.

By this point, a lot of this has become ingrained, so it's not really very surprising that many artists shy away from drawing female metahumans when previous artists have created this image of them as ugly, deformed women.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012