Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Metas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lionhearted
yes there is a couple of subs in the companion is there any more somewhere?
Critias
How many do you need?
Grinder
And how freakish will they be, judging from the ones in the companion. eek.gif
Lionhearted
well, there is a shortage of elven subraces
Fortune
QUOTE (Lionhearted)
well, there is a shortage of elven subraces

There is? Let's see ... Dryads, Wakyambi, Night Ones ... how many more do you want?

There are 4 Ork, 4 Troll, 3 Dwarf, and 3 Elf metavariants.
Ancient History
4 elf metavariants, you forgot the one in Cyberpirates!
Fortune
You're right. But aren't they just Shadowtalk? I can't even remember their name. And Isn't CyberPirates! SR2. I don't recall any mention of them in SR3.
Ancient History
They've got stats in the back of Cyberpirates! Allergy to (spices) or something. As for SR2...

...waitaminute, don't the Mimis of AUstralia count as metavariants?
Bastard
Ice Pirates?
Crimson Jack
Wood Elves seem to be a metavariant waiting to happen. They don't seem too far-fetched (cough, satyr) and would fit in nicely with nature campaigns/runs. NAN tribal types.

Centaurs are already mentioned as being sentient creatures and in SR canon literature, so I'd vote that they could technically be playable. I jokingly brought them up once in a thread, to which most people thought it wasn't such a good idea. One of the interesting things that came about in that thread though, was that they could probably be used as a weapons platform.

Aren't there some lizardmen that used to be in Earthdawn? Not that I think we need them necessarily, but it seems like it would make sense to pull some of the playable races from ED if anything.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
They've got stats in the back of Cyberpirates! Allergy to (spices) or something. As for SR2...

Ah, the Philipino ones that have normal elf stats. Enkanto (and Enkantada for females). Not what I was refering to, but that is cool. As for my SR2 comment, why wouldn't any of these be included in SR3 when it was updated?

...waitaminute, don't the Mimis of AUstralia count as metavariants?

As far as I know, the Mimi are members of a magical order of Koradji, not a metavariant.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
One of the interesting things that came about in that thread though, was that they could probably be used as a weapons platform.

*straps the mortar to the centaur's back* Alright, Johnny, let's roll!
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Apr 19 2005, 02:34 PM)
One of the interesting things that came about in that thread though, was that they could probably be used as a weapons platform.

*straps the mortar to the centaur's back* Alright, Johnny, let's roll!

Man, Trigger would be an awesome name for that type of character. biggrin.gif
Wireknight
QUOTE (Fortune)
As far as I know, the Mimi are members of a magical order of Koradji, not a metavariant.

Actually, they are described as a unique and reclusive metavarient of orks and elves. Dunno what that means, exactly (i.e. are some metavariant orks, are some metavariant elves, or is the "mimi" race a metavariant of either basic metahuman race?), but it's in the back of Target: Awakened Lands.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Aren't there some lizardmen that used to be in Earthdawn? Not that I think we need them necessarily, but it seems like it would make sense to pull some of the playable races from ED if anything.

They, along with Obsidimen, did not survive the downcycle of magic.
Crimson Jack
Well, didn't trolls, orks, elves and the rest of the crazy metavariants also not survive the down cycle?
Ancient History
Obsidimen aren't expressed from humans, supposedly neither are windlings or t'skrang, though there's been some debate concerning the latter about both that and their survival.
Fortune
QUOTE (Wireknight @ Apr 20 2005, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 19 2005, 07:42 PM)

Actually, they are described as a unique and reclusive metavarient of orks and elves. Dunno what that means, exactly (i.e. are some metavariant orks, are some metavariant elves, or is the "mimi" race a metavariant of either basic metahuman race?), but it's in the back of Target: Awakened Lands.

Technically, it states ...

QUOTE (Target Awakened Lands)
It is also rumored that some of the elves and orcs in this order (Mimis) belong to a rare metavariant species.

Nothing more than this rumor is listed, and it does not apply to the whole Mimi order.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Obsidimen aren't expressed from humans, supposedly neither are windlings or t'skrang, though there's been some debate concerning the latter about both that and their survival.

Interesting. So even in ED, non-human races are described as "expression of..." <insert main race>?
Grinder
No, they all developed from elves which had been the first race created by the GD to serve them. One day wayyyy back in the past the elves broke free and somehow the other races were there. It's early in the morning, so this may not be 100% correct. wink.gif

T'skrang and Obsidiman can't exist in the current (2070) maigc level. Windlings are there: in the paranormal animals of europe they're mentioned, called sprites iirc.
Tanka
Well, there's also the theory that...

[ Spoiler ]

But that's just a theory. nyahnyah.gif
Nikoli
Why does that remind me of some of the creation fluff from WoD?

Tanka
I couldn't say, never played WoD.
Demosthenes
Because it's a bit like some of the Creation fluff from WoD...sorta, kinda, maybe.

It's hard for mythical creation stories to avoid having elements in common, especially if they're the mythical creation stories for some bunch of random arrogant ubar-NPCs.
(That's not to say I don't like the ED creation myth-thing...I just don't buy it. There's no reason for Dragons to have the straight dope on the origin of intelligent life any more than humanity does...IMO)
Nikoli
True, but I was thinking more of the WoD links (old version, haven't cracked any of the new stuff open) between the Wyld, the Weaver, and the Wyrm. How they are aspects of the same being, yet they are locked in a struggle for domination.
Demosthenes
Oh, _that_ creation thing...

Well, the Verjigorm-makes-people is not quite as neatly divided - Vj's WoD counterpart would be the Wyrm, while the things that came after him don't have much of a WoD counterpart.

The "Titans made the gods, the gods made man, the gods rebelled against the titans..." comes closer to the ED creation myth, I think.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 19 2005, 07:00 PM)

Interesting. So even in ED, non-human races are described as "expression of..." <insert main race>?

Actually, it's a Pre-Scourge legend humans like to tell to assert their superiority. But the rest of the races don't buy it.
Fresno Bob
Seems that its true, though.
Garland
I've always wondered if the t'skrang had more to do with dragons than with humanity. Aside from the obvious reptilian connection, they had their myths about the 4 Founders, particularly the dragon Syrtis. And then there's the borderline-insanity state of t'skrang adolescence, which is pretty similar to the mindlessness and aggression of dragon adolescence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012