Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wired Reflexes Drawbacks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Luke Hardison
I found the rules relating to cyberware's impacts on social interaction, but I'm having trouble finding the section that details twitchiness and the specific negative impacts of reaction enhancing cyberware - need a book / page reference.

What other drawbacks does the system carry?
Crimson Jack
Magnetic Anomaly Detectors tend to go off around them.
Fortune
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
I found the rules relating to cyberware's impacts on social interaction, but I'm having trouble finding the section that details twitchiness and the specific negative impacts of reaction enhancing cyberware - need a book / page reference.

Man & Machine page 45
Grinder
We always played that a char with wired reflexes (and boosted reflexes too) is very nervous and tends to "act first, think later". The higher the step of the cyber, the worse. Unless they got a trigger (which must be bought while implanting the wired reflexes, but we houseruled that you can add a trigger later) that is.
Catsnightmare
Ruled the same way in nearly all the groups I've been in, with only a few mods.
Bioware and Adept powers don't cause 'the twitch'
Boosted 1 = no twitch
Boosted 2 = twitch at first but it can be overcome/adapted to over time
Boosted 3 = twitch, but it can be overcome/adapted to at some cost (spend karma)
Wired Reflexes = Twitch for sure, but that's what reflex and stepped triggers are for)
Lantzer
I've always handled 'twitch' as restricted to wired in particular. Th reason being, in all of the others reflex decision-making are handled by the same wobbly bits that would normally take care of it - just transmissions are faster.

Wired appears to replace the reflex system with an artificial parallel system - you have less control, because the artificial reflexes kick in before your own do.
Wounded Ronin
Heh, your character automatically dies because when you try to hand your driver's license to the cop you accidentally punch him so hard his torso explodes.
Dog
Tim Zahn's "Cobra" novels have an interesting take on what is essentially cyberware, including a wired reflexes type of device. He describes a number of situations where the character becomes a passenger in his body, watching it react to a real or perceived threat. Good imagery.
Wounded Ronin
Hey, I thought of one. If someone startles you on the urinal you rip your own penis off. That should be written as rule.
Edward
QUOTE (Dog)
Tim Zahn's "Cobra" novels have an interesting take on what is essentially cyberware, including a wired reflexes type of device. He describes a number of situations where the character becomes a passenger in his body, watching it react to a real or perceived threat. Good imagery.

that sounds more like a skill wires interpretation to me.

Tell your active soft who you want dead and let it take care of the dentales.

Edward
Club
QUOTE (Edward)
QUOTE (Dog @ Apr 24 2005, 10:00 PM)
Tim Zahn's "Cobra" novels have an interesting take on what is essentially cyberware, including a wired reflexes type of device.  He describes a number of situations where the character becomes a passenger in his body, watching it react to a real or perceived threat.  Good imagery.

that sounds more like a skill wires interpretation to me.

Tell your active soft who you want dead and let it take care of the details.

Edward

Not really, although I've only read the first book. It really is a good sammy book.

And according to at least some of the fluff, wired reflexes are pretty much highly modified skillwires. And no, that doesn't make sense on some levels.
Lantzer
My personal interpretation of how Wired works is:

The system is a sort of neural network that 'trains' by recording the user's natural reactions to stimuli. When a sudden stimulus occurs, it quickly sends the 'appropriate' reaction to the muscles. Like most neural networks, it doesn't work all that well outside of its experience range.

Hench 'twitch' and the accidental shooting of people who startle the sam.

Today's contest: how many tech-buzzwords can you incorporate into your argument?
Nikoli
I still remember the first PC i ever saw with MBW.
Poor bastard never made it out of the restaurant for the meet. Some slitch of a waiter dropped a plate. Two rounds later "Twitch" was outta ammo, and people to use as hostages for when the star arrived.

I should note, this was SR2, where high init meant you went before anyone else, several times.
DexRiley
Do adepts with improved reflexes get the twitch too?
JaronK
No. Only cyberware gives twitchiness.

JaronK
Fortune
QUOTE (JaronK)
No. Only cyberware gives twitchiness.

More specifically, only Cyberware that grants an Initiative bonus (ie. extra dice) can cause twitchiness.
Moon-Hawk
So, just to be clear:
Twitchy:
Wired Reflexes
Boosted Reflexes
MBW

Non-twitchy:
Synaptic Accelerator
Improved Reflexes (adept power)
Increase Reflexes (spell)
Drugs

Am I forgetting anything that gives init dice? I think any drugs that give init dice bonuses should go under the Twitchy column, but is there any canon supporting/contradicting that?
Edward
It is a shameless house rule but I apply twitchiness to drugs as well.

Edward
lorthazar
It's a shameless house rule but I apply twitchiness to all initiative enhancers. The more dice the more twitchy.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Edward)

Allow me to quote the Coffee Mentat's Mantra:
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java the thoughs acquire speed, the hands acquire
shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

I don't think your houserule is shameless in the least.
Mortax
I"m not sure if I'd exactly make those with MBW twitchy. It's not exactly the same as wired. I've never had to deal with it though, everyone is afraid of the side effects.

In all honesty though, I typically do apply those penalties to all reaction boosts, but not because of the ware. Shadowruners are paronoid, and they tend to react this way as first instinct. Whether or not the ware makes you jumpy, you react to you first instinct very quickly.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Edward @ Apr 27 2005, 09:20 AM)

Allow me to quote the Coffee Mentat's Mantra:
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java the thoughs acquire speed, the hands acquire
shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

I don't think your houserule is shameless in the least.

Drugs make you twitchy. Ever see a drug addict?
Bioware makes you twitcy. It produces some of the same end results as drugs, but is internally produced. We all know that you're twitchy after the fight-or-flight reflex kicks in and a few CCs of epinephrine are released into your bloodstream by your adrenal glands.
Cyber makes you twichy. We all know that.
Adept powers do NOT make you twitchy. Adepts are masters of control over their bodies. Did you ever see a martial art master that was twitchy? No, because martial arts practice being loose and smooth, not tense. If you're really, really fast, you're just fast, not twitchy. If you've got enough control over your body to withstand deadly poisons or whatever, you can control it well enough not to twitch.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Hey, I thought of one. If someone startles you on the urinal you rip your own penis off. That should be written as rule.

HAHAHA rotfl.gif
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Spastic Teapot)
Bioware makes you twitcy. It produces some of the same end results as drugs, but is internally produced. We all know that you're twitchy after the fight-or-flight reflex kicks in and a few CCs of epinephrine are released into your bloodstream by your adrenal glands.

This should apply to an active adrenal pump, certainly.
However the fluff text accompanying the Synaptic Accelerator implies that it works by increasing the bandwidth available for neural signals - everything moves faster. (that might be Shadowtech fluff text...I have a tendency to just assume that M&M included the Shadowtech fluff text...just because...well...Shadowtech is cool...)

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

That implies that you aim...not a common activity, judging by the state of public toilets in every country I've ever visited... devil.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012