Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knowledge skills for an ex-cop?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, but those are the law school classes where you learn to nail cops for that stuff.
Nikoli
That and by 2065, there should definitely be good programs that go through and pick out both contextual and literal fallacies based on the report filed by the officer. just as the police should be using similair proggies to write their reports and get them right the first time.

Loophole stuff should not be so commonplace in the SR world.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there were forms to file so you could legally bribe teh judge. Not worth it for the LS lawyers, as they make it up in volume and it'd affect teh bottom line too much, the defense attourneys just tack it on their fee.
BitBasher
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there were forms to file so you could legally bribe teh judge. Not worth it for the LS lawyers, as they make it up in volume and it'd affect teh bottom line too much, the defense attourneys just tack it on their fee.
There are no Lone Star laqyers in that sense. LS does not handle the court system, just the law enforcement, the courts are still municipal, as are the lawyers.
Crimsondude 2.0
n/m
Nikoli
What Crimson?
I always felt that part of the Dystopian feel of SR was that the Star was powerless overall to protect the streets at large from gangs. this made it feel more dangerous to me. After all, the badge will look pretty tarnished if you drag ou the swat for some rich kids looking to blow off steam.
Crimsondude 2.0
I was going to mention that LSSS has corporate lawyers doing general counsel work or representing them in civil rights violations (of course, then I realized without a 14th amendment eqv., there are no more sec. 1983 cases in the UCAS) until I re-read the words, "in that sense" as it pertains to the role of ADAs who actually prosecute cases.
Charon
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Apr 20 2005, 01:59 PM)
Problem is, with that much dope, there's tons more paperwork to file.  so, rather than take him in on what would amount to really trumped up misdemeanor, the guy had to flush close to 80 pounds of grass.  He was crying, but it was better than a giddy cell mate named Bunny for the next few years.

80 pounds of weed?!

Come on, man. That's half the body weight of an average adult male.

How many flush of the toilet do you need for that much grass?
How many days of smoking 20 joint a day does that give you?
How expensive is 80 pound of weed? Who buys 80 pound in one shot instead of purchasing 320 1/4 of pound over 2 or 3 years?
How much space does 80 pound of grass take? I know that 80 pounds of real grass is a few garbage bags...
What cop doesn't want to go on the book for having seized 80 pounds of drug?

And beside, who the hell buys 80 pound of weed for personal use anyway? It's like buying 80 pound of vaseline. You might really like anal sex, but it's still way beyond the call of duty.

I think the story has grown in the telling quite a bit.
Grinder
Thought it was a dealer?
Charon
It's not what Nikoli said in his post.

I guess I should have quoted the whole post :

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Yeah, it's surprising to see how many older cops are okay with that.
My dad had a great story of making some doper flush his stash down the toilet. Mind you he had spent his entire paycheck on the stuff, was several kilos, he wasn't planning on distributing, just was going to smoke, a lot. Problem is, with that much dope, there's tons more paperwork to file. so, rather than take him in on what would amount to really trumped up misdemeanor, the guy had to flush close to 80 pounds of grass. He was crying, but it was better than a giddy cell mate named Bunny for the next few years.

I wouldn't want to call Nikoli's dad a liar, so I'm gonna go with the theory that the story grew exponentially in the telling.

I could see a cop forcing a doper to flush his weed down the toilet if he had just a bit over the amount that constitute trafficking instead of possession. That's actually fairly nice of him. But 80 bloody pounds?! Gimme a break.

Now that I reread the post, it strikes me as impossible to buy 80 pounds of weed with just one paycheck. I'm not familiar with the street price of one pound of MJ, but unless the guy was a CEO...
Dawnshadow
Several kilos.. well.. that's what? 5 kilos? About 10 pounds there. Actually, if you want to be really precise, it would be around 11 pounds.. 2.2 pounds to the kilo..

What I suspect happened is an error in conversion wink.gif

More likely.. 3-4 kilos, 8 or so pounds (off by an order of magnitude)..

Charon
That makes more sense.

I've never personnally heard or known of anyone buying 3-4 Kg of weed for personal use, but given a large enough base of doper, it's conceivable there is one moronic and wealthy enough to do this somewhere in the world. Perhaps weed is lot less expensive in GA (that's germany?) than in Canada. Perhaps a dealer needed to get rid of some stock fast?

But maybe the story has both grown a bit in the telling and then there was an error in conversion, hmm? Because a few kilogram is still a lot of vaseline.
Fortune
QUOTE (Charon @ Apr 23 2005, 11:46 PM)
Perhaps weed is lot less expensive in GA (that's germany?) than in Canada.

GA is Georgia, USA.

And I have bought 5 kilos several times in my youth purely for personal use. In Canada at that. nyahnyah.gif

I do think it was probably a typo though, and Nikoli meant to write 8 lb.
Charon
Well, I'll be damned.

I must be hanging with the wrong crowd.

Hey, wait a minute, are you from British Columbia? biggrin.gif

I guess my bias as finance student is showing. It is is unfathomable for me to spend lots of money on one big weed purchase. That's immobilized money! And since it potentially bumps you up from misdemeanor to trafficking charges, the amount of money you save has better be huge because as risks goes up so should the return on investment. nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
Nope. I used to live in the Toronto-Hamilton area.
Charon
QUOTE (Fortune)
Nope. I used to live in the Toronto-Hamilton area.

Which I'm guessing means you are from Hamilton or some suburb otherwise you would just say you are from Toronto, right? wink.gif
Fortune
Basically, although I spent a great deal of time in Toronto.

Go Leafs Go! biggrin.gif

To make this post vaguely on-topic, Sota64 states that Toronto cops are still as bad as they are in RL (or at least in the 80s). Could knowing how to apply a beating without leaving a mark be considered a Knowledge skill? wink.gif
Grinder
Maybe it's a specialization (is it really written this way? don't think so...) in medicine/biotech?
Sheffield
I'm sorry, but even at eight pounds, this story is still ridiculous. Even being generous on the price, we're still talking in excess of ten grand USD worth of weed with a loose volume over a pillowcase. Moreover, cops do not let eight pounds slide "because of paperwork." I've witnessed police let joints, eighths, and ounces slide, but eight pounds is not "for personal consumption." Federal sentencing guidelines are based strictly on weight. If you've got five kilos of coke, you're in a stiffer sentencing bracket because it is assumed that you're distributing or are passing it to someone who will distribute. 3-4 kilos of weed is a level 12 offense, which means mandatory jailtime, even for a first offender. It isn't a "trumped up misdemeanor," either. Georgia puts the line between misdemeanor and felony at one ounce.
Nikoli
prices in the late sixties, and it was a full trashbag, so I extrapolated.
Not sure how much the guy actually spent, My dad said the guy said he spent his whole paycheck. And who said Georgia, my dad was a Cop in Elgin, Illinois
Fortune
I said you were from Georgia (as listed under your name) in response to someone asking if the poster in question (you) was from the States.
Nikoli
Ah. Only live in GA, born in Illinois.
Fortune
Still in the States! nyahnyah.gif
Nikoli
Yeah, definitely not in Germany.
the 80 lbs was my own screwup. Having never touched pot, no personal experience to draw on. it was one trash bagm somewhat packed.

A large amount of the stuff wasn't the cap-feather in the 60's that it would be today.
Apathy
Prices for this sort of thing would vary by region (and probably varies widely by dealer as well). I do remember that in Texas, in the early 90's, a pound went for around $500-600. 8 pounds...$4000? Don't know many users that would buy that much just for personal use. Most people that get that much try to sell half, to make up for the half that went up in smoke...
Crimsondude 2.0
So... What does this lovely little convo have to do with the topic?
Nikoli
Nothing at all
Fortune
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
So... What does this lovely little convo have to do with the topic?

Knowledge Skill: Pre-Awakened Drug Culture
Knowledge Skill: History of Recreational Herbalism
Knowledge Skill: Garbage Bag Capacity
Knowledge Skill: Spike Baby Braggarts
Nikoli
LOL nice jab.
Crimsondude 2.0
What jab? He swung like a beat-to-shit boxer in the 15th round at someone who was on the other side of the ring.

IOW, this conversation has nothing to do with the topic and is just... amazingly... And the worst part is that it's about pot, which is just sad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012