Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boards Don't Hit Back!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stev
Congrats to me, on my first post here on the forums. Now I'm curious.
Since I've started playing Shadow Run (quite some time ago) I've played an Adept. Now, I heart my Adept. He's a sociopathic ex-cop who blows things up with his hands. But in a few runs past he's been unable to blow a certain enemy type up... And that upsets both me and him.

That type...Is vehicles! Be it a standard americar, or a citymaster, my crazy adept can neither punch, or shoot his way through the hide of a vehicle.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on adept powers that may just let me up my characters vehicle destroying prowess. I was thinking that perhaps Smashing Blow would be appropriate, but for some reason I have the sinking feeling that a steel barrier, and a steel barrier with wheels on the bottom have different rules.

Currently I have two free adept points to spend, though with Geasa I can make more. But honestly, what's cooler than blowing up the A-Team van with your fist?

That's right. Nothing.
Herald of Verjigorm
Trade up.
ShadowGhost
Gyrojet Pistol.... and Gyrojet Plus rounds (acts as both AV and APDS).

The two downsides are: Gyrojet is it's own skill (not pistols), and noise, both firing the gun, and the explosions the miniature missiles make.

The upside, even if you can't get Plus rounds, is that its range on land (i.e. in air, instead of underwater) is the same as shotguns.
Kagetenshi
What metatype?

~J
Chibu
In SOTA: 2064 there are a couple of good powers that might be helpful to you.

Elemental Strike (Fire): for .5 points lets you add fire secondary damage to your attacks.

actually, that's the only helpful one from that book nyahnyah.gif

But, i might also suggest Killing Hands to up the Damage code of attacks, and +Dice to Unarmed Combat (so that you can roll more dic e so that you get more successes.
fistandantilus4.0
I think part of the point is that you shouldn't be able to punch through a car door, unless you're a troll (or a big ork anyways). You would have to have some serious str behind it, as well as a pretty high unarmed combat. Then, in my game at least, you'd aslo have to be able to explain how you punched through a steel door without destroying your hand.
Ezra
Well... if you dikote the hand first.... smile.gif
frostPDP
Stev, SOB, you know Juan's only two letters away from that A-Team van!! His nice lil' C-Teammer.

Yeah, the question I would ask you (and probably have) is this: When you punch the car and it goes boom, how do you survive?

[edit] BTW, I tend to do the GMming for good 'ol Stev here. Best RP'r we have, best munchkin we have.
mfb
your best bet would be to make a custom variant of Smashing Blow that gives your unarmed attacks limited antivehicularity (you'll need a not-made-up word for it, though), so that your attacks are treated as being antivehicular, but don't halve armor. seriously, if you can punch through ferrocrete, you should be able to punch through an Americar.
frostPDP
Agreed. But the question is still "Okay, so you put your hand into the engine and cause sparks and explosions and kaboom. Then you eat the equivalent of an offensive grenade going off in your face, bear minimum."
toturi
The question would be, "Why can't I put my hand into the engine and the gears and pistons are all torn up and the vehicle stops?" Why should the engine blow up?
mfb
jesus, toturi, don't you watch movies? cars blow up when you hit them too hard--it's just how physics work!
Critias
Or even when you look at them funny. Or they bump into a lamppost. Or they accelerate too fast. Or stop too suddenly. Or birds crap on them. Or rain falls very hard.
frostPDP
Cuz the way I see it, smashing a car in one solid blow is likely to set the thing on fire at least. Sure, its not action-movie style, but take this into consideration.

Cars have extreme amounts of heat in the engine. Enough to burn. Yeah, you gotta hit a car VERY hard (Seen the front end of my car smashed up before my eyes and the pain in my ribs, totalled-style, and it didn't explode) to make it explode, but between the fans inside it going fast and whatnot?

More importantly, if you smash a fuel line and don't have the engine off-line, THEN you get that movie-car-explosion.

To emphasize, there was a fairly recent case where someone's cell phone had a small static reaction at a gas station. I think the guy is okay but I heard he was badly burned by the pseudo-explosion of his phone's static reacting to a few gas vapors. Now extrapolate that to gasoline running fast and loose into the sparks caused both from the combustion chamber and the sparks which will inevitably fly when someone sends all those fans into one another and against metal.

(As for the damage that was done to my old car, the fan and radiator system was damaged so that leaving it on for about 15 minutes caused it to start over-heating. Not to mention the steering alignment was off. But I was relatively okay.)
mfb
you won't get that movie-car-explosion even if you throw a lit match into the gas tank. at best, you'll get a mild whumph as the gasoline catches, and a fair bit of flame--but no shockwave, no thunderous booooom. just fire.
Edward
If you hit a car with blunt force and kill it the most likely description I can come up with is the engine mounts buckle or break disconnecting the drive train. Damage to the carbureta (sorry doesn’t exist any more), distribute (likewise) fuel pump (should still be around) onboard computer (that we will have) electrics (alternator, battery or wiring) would also be plausible, non of these can lead to an explosion directly, breaking a fuel line might but fire is more likely and not for a few minutes probably unless the electrics are sparking there is no ignition source and even if there is, fire is more likely than explosion.

Edward
Crimsondude 2.0
Next you're going to tell me that most grenades don't create bright orange and yellow flames.

You suck. frown.gif
Critias
MFB: Devourer of Dreams.
frostPDP
LOL Well I'm no mechanic. I'm just figuring that fuel-injection systems in 2060 will run at a higher temperature. If nothing else, I figure the engine's extreme heat would hurt one's hand.

But as to an explosion, you guys probably know better then I. I just recall that combustion engines (AKA gasoline) run on miniature explosions of their fuel, and if one cuts a fuel line and lets it mix with the lighting stuff, you get a giant molotov coctail.

So flame is a minimum, which would suck (especially if someone has certain capsule rounds that he's planning on making).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 29 2005, 01:11 AM)
I think part of the point is that you shouldn't be able to punch through a car door, unless you're a troll (or a big ork anyways). You would have to have some serious str behind it, as well as a pretty high unarmed combat. Then, in my game at least, you'd aslo have to be able to explain how you punched through a steel door without destroying your hand.

An Adept with Smashing Blow should be able to punch through a car door. A guy with an icepick should be able to put a hole in a car door. Now, putting a hole in the door iis going to do didly squat to the performance as is obvious by these things called "windows", big holes in the doors that are named after a popular computer operating system.

Smahing through a door should cause stun damage to the car and may give a chance to make a called shot to the passangers. Vehicles don't take stun damage the Adept will never punch the thing to death.

Also, most modern car doors aren't steel. They're fiberglass. Weight hurts fuel efficency and acceleration. Every gram that the designers can shave off that weight helps, so they use lightweight materials where-ever possible.

Steel is for armored cars.
frostPDP
The way I'd see it, let's propose that an Adept can break steel with his hands. Okay; Now let's propose he uses that on the moving parts of a car engine. Sure, damage. Perhaps overkill and flame. Perhaps, depending on the type of fuel (nitrous oxide, maybe), a small kaboom.

Now, if the Physad strikes the car as it drives (assuming the force doesn't rip his arm off, in that he only strikes the top of the car as it passes him and he doesn't get caught up because he only dents the metal, not embeds his hand in it) by him. The force could be so great that it puts the car on two wheels.

But that's an extremely difficult called shot smile.gif
Deamon_Knight
Don't forget, Liquid Gasoline does not explode, it simply burns hot and quickly . You need vaporized Gasoline (The right fuel/oxygen mixture) for an explosion.
frostPDP
Izzat so? Cool! But then it still means there'll be some hand-roasting going on, no?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 29 2005, 01:11 AM)

An Adept with Smashing Blow should be able to punch through a car door. A guy with an icepick should be able to put a hole in a car door. Now, putting a hole in the door iis going to do didly squat to the performance as is obvious by these things called "windows", big holes in the doors that are named after a popular computer operating system.

Smahing through a door should cause stun damage to the car and may give a chance to make a called shot to the passangers. Vehicles don't take stun damage the Adept will never punch the thing to death.

Also, most modern car doors aren't steel. They're fiberglass. Weight hurts fuel efficency and acceleration. Every gram that the designers can shave off that weight helps, so they use lightweight materials where-ever possible.

Steel is for armored cars.

My thought was actually of an armored door/car/whatever. Mos tof the time my players attack a vehicle, it's usually used by someone that can shoot back ,and has at least SOME armor. And yeah, it can be compostires and whatnot's, that wasn't really my point.

I'm not saying you can't do it. I just think it should be hard. I'm just seeing it as some kind of ccombination of penetrating strike and smashing blow. Otherwise I think the smaller (i.e. guys w/o 10+ str) adepts should have some trouble punching through stuff like armor. Basically a way to bypass some of that armor (assuming it's present), kind of like how delay damage can "upgrade" to silent, for another point, make an upgrade for smashing blow made for taking shots at cars, and punghing through some of that armor.

And I like the idea of it being stun damage. That makes a lot more sense. Especially since a huge enough troll could eventually destroy say a small cat, the overflow would work well for that.
Krazy
all you need is for the "smashing blow" to do any damage at all to the internal workings of the engine. one of the paradoxes of modern engine design is that while a modern IC engine runs at higher preasures, temps, and RPMs than an engine from say 50 years ago, they are also more susseptable to damage. the engieneers are getting better at deturmining exactly what stresses are going to be placed on the engine and design for them, sacrificing streanth that was not needed. As opposed to fifty years ago where the disigne when more like "well, its going to need to be strong, build it out of cast iron". so on a 2060 car all you would have to do would be to hit the engine hard enough to get a small wave of energry to disrupt the delicate balance of the engine and done. if it's a ford it even easier. kick the trunk, trip the impact switch (that turns off the fuel pump in the event of an accident) and that also kills the engine. electric cars would be easier to break and I would guess from sourse that they are more common, all you need to do is induce a short in one of the coil windings, not very hard if you can use manna to break some of the laws of physics.
but the heat from the engine and the resultant shrapnel would probly hurt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012