Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why all the hate?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Hell Hound
I don't think I ever doubted that SR4 would be something different.

They are advancing the timeline, which suggests they plan to enact changes to the setting that cannot or should not occur as a gradual evolution over several sourcebooks (this of course would be the Wireless Matrix, and anything else they haven't told us about but which may crop up in System Failure). It would have been a bad idea to make a fourth edition and then almost immediately start releasing new books with extra rules to cover the radical changes the setting undergoes. It's also not a great idea to try and incorporate those rules changes into 3rd edition, if you do that you end up with what have essentially become core rules scattered across several sourcebooks, none of which are the actual core rulebook.

The FAQs show that SR4 is going to be a fundamentally different game in terms of the rules mechanics. Personally I do not see this as inherantly bad. It's true that new rules can mean a different feel to the game, but I don't believe it guarantees that. If there was only one possible set of rules that could make you feel like you were playing shadowrun the game would never have had a second or third edition, or at least not a successfull second or third edition.

At the same time I can see why people are uneasy or negative about SR4. I never felt the magic system was in desperate need of repair, I would have preferred an FAQ with more detail on how 'hackers' function in SR4. I have read complaints about Fanpro's talk of streamlining the game whilst adding extra attributes. There is merit in the argument that more attributes won't help streamline the game, but I don't think it guarantees the game will become slower, and if nothing else subdividing some of the existing attributes can give greater range in the development of characters, and I like that.

In the end I remain uncertain about SR4, I am not overly negative or positive at this stage, and I don't think that will change until the book itself is released or more accurately when I myself get access to the SR4 rulebook.
hobgoblin
well the magic system would have to have to of its mechanics redone to fit the new dice system anyways. and after rereading the latest faq they are saying that the sr magic system had gone virtualy unchanged at its core from sr1 onwards. yes some of the addons where changed, like say anchoring but overall it have stayed largely unchanged.

what they seems to be aiming for is a reworked system that allow for traditions like voodoo without having to basicly rewrite the magic system from the ground up with new spirits and so on for every tradition, instead you just picke the traits you feel the tradition should have from a list given to you by the book.

this could allow for say a necromancy tradition with zombies and others but grounded in hermetic thinking. you could in theory do so today by borrowing the zombies from voodoo, maybe ancestor spirits from wuxing but in the end its houserules. but with the new system you can maybe do so based on the cost of the diffrent abilitys. hell, we may see a return of the astral adept nyahnyah.gif

the extra attributes may well be a reaction to what looks like a increased importance of attributes with the new dice system. and by splitting some of them you may be accurate with your hands but not quick in your reactions when something happens, or intelligent but not very perceptive nyahnyah.gif wasnt that one of the complaints of the original system that deckers where the ones that have the best ability to spot things?

and it would realy surprise me if they give out any more info on hackers then they have allready done as it seems to be used as the big magnet to draw interest in sr4. still, if one can envision a decker with wireless access to the matrix, and allso equiped with a remote deck, and having the ability to use both at the same time then i think we are getting close to a rough image of how a hacker will be.
Hell Hound
Changes to the magic system have been a bit more than just the nature of anchoring or a few addons. They have messed with the drain codes for spells in each edition, spirits have been altered (changed their interaction with physical attacks, taking away the alienation power from nature spirits), combat spells underwent a significant change both with elemental effects being limited solely to damaging manipulation spells and the damage code of the spell not being hardwired into its design, and 3rd edition (specifically MitS) changed how initiation worked in a big way. The feel of the magic system hasn't changed since first edition but the rules have.

The idea of mixing and matching spirit types to create different traditions sounds good, but such a system would probably have to increase the number of available spirit types (animistic traditions that believe that every object possesses a spirit, followers of a god or gods who call up direct manifestations of their divine patron, and so on) in order to make new traditions truly unique. The problem is the idea presents an excuse to minimax your own magical tradition, and that's something I really wouldn't want to see in SR.
Eyeless Blond
Don't forget Grounding, casting spells using Sorcery rather than Force, etc. There have been lots of changes in SR magic over the editions; I know about a few of the big ones even though I've never played 1st or 2nd ed.

The thing is they haven't been as extensive as the overhaul for this edition because, frankly, magic didn't need much of an overhaul. Other than a few patches here and there (chaning the Invis spel, for instance, buying magic by points rather than whole-hog, flexible traditions, maybe adapting Grounding rules for 3rd ed use), there really wasn't any big changed needed. Magic is one of the easiest to grok of the major rule subsets (combat, cyberware/Essence, vehicular rules, decking/Matrix, non-combat social/physical skills). It's the one I started with when I looked over the edition because it seemed the most internally consistent, and it's the one I understand best to this day.

Unfortunately now it all must go, because it depended heavily on the variable TN aspect of SR3 rules to function, and they're getting rid of variable TNs.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Hell Hound @ May 23 2005, 08:22 AM)
The FAQs show that SR4 is going to be a fundamentally different game in terms of the rules mechanics. Personally I do not see this as inherantly bad. It's true that new rules can mean a different feel to the game, but I don't believe it guarantees that. If there was only one possible set of rules that could make you feel like you were playing shadowrun the game would never have had a second or third edition, or at least not a successfull second or third edition.

The thing is, IMO the games did change in tone and style because of the mechanics. Reading a SR1 book or adventure and a SR3 sourcebook or adventure, one might come away with the slight impression that they are different games, or at least different worlds.

However, they also change simply through whoever is the line developer at the time. While the tone changed noticeably between SR1 and SR2 when Tom Dowd was the Dark Lord on High and the original creators were still around, it shifted over time and then took a new tone under Sargent & Gascione and under Mike Mulvihill. SR also changed tone and style under Mike from SR2 to SR3. Likewise, since the FASA closure and Rob's ascension to line developer the game has become different in tone and style yet again. So, if history is any indication SR4 will again alter the tone and style, and by tone and style I don't mean just of the world, but of actual game play--dice rolls, combat, and various interactions which utilize the mechanics.

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Don't forget Grounding, casting spells using Sorcery rather than Force, etc. There have been lots of changes in SR magic over the editions; I know about a few of the big ones even though I've never played 1st or 2nd ed.

Don't forget the biggie: FAB.

Having been around the SR boards and forums for a while, I have rarely if ever seen arguments as long, as loud, and as bitter as arguments over how SR2 FAB worked and interacted with astral bodies, especially FAB nets. Remember, before SR3 an astral body couldn't pass through any biomass, so when FAB was introduced it opened up the whole argument about why astral bodies could pass through all of the airborne biomass just "out there" but not this "fat bacteria." The discussions in the CorpSec Handbook pale in comparison to the arguments I read online, especially over what happens when you trap someone's astral body between a FAB net and a FAB floor--because the thinking went, one of those bodies had to die. My guess is that SR3 changed that because of that specific issue, but in doing so (as opposed to leaving out FAB) they rendered whole generations of passive magical security (specifically masses of ivy covering walls) useless, and other things came about later (e.g., Possession and Channeling metamagic (which SR2 houngans had inherently)).
Hasagwan
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, if they wrote the quoted description after the book was out then im not surprised as then they had a finished product and the same list would be written up by fans anyways so why not just go out with it.

as for fanpro germany spelling it out about the wireless matrix. didnt that german text get quoted and machine translated here on the forum to or is there one i have missed? if its the one im thinking of then i must say it was not much more informative then the existing faq on that subject. in fact, it hazed the image more as i think there was some comments in there that didnt fit sr at all...

There was another one that was translated a while back on RPG net that basically explained the Wireless Matrix Initiative. For some reason no one picked up on it here.
Penta
The fact that we even have to get all the info like that through translations does drive me batty.
Shadow
QUOTE (Ellery)

[*]They don't care. They're busy writing the books, and don't really care what their fans think since they'll probably buy the book anyway--and non-fans don't care about specifics--so it's not worth the bother of getting specifics right.

[/LIST]

This is it right here. I don't know if you all remember but I have been yelling about this from the start. I first heard about SR4 back in October and I thought, wow it would be awesome! Fix the problems with SR3 and make a better game.

Then I got a look at the changes. Not proposed changes but changes. Anyone who thought they were contributing by posting ideas on the board about what SR4 should be, was smoking crack.

As the above quote says, they don't care. They would rather dismiss all their current fans and trade them in for the unwashed masses of Vampire, D20, and the other simplified games. Make no mistake this is about money.

Where my ire really comes in is the BLATANT misrepresentation that FanPro tired to get away with. By that I mean the revised BS they were laying on us. Saying that it was the same game. That they were just making changes. It took them almost a month to admit that it was a whole new game. And I had to yell and argue and fight to get them to admit that.

Thats what pissed me off.
Wounded Ronin
Wow, sounds like FanPro really shot themselves in the foot, what with the things I'm reading in this thread.

Earth to FanPro: Don't piss off your customers.
Shadow
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Wow, sounds like FanPro really shot themselves in the foot, what with the things I'm reading in this thread.

Earth to FanPro: Don't piss off your customers.

They aren't listening. To busy making a game for people who are not their customers. We apparently do not matter.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Shadow)
I don't know if you all remember but I have been yelling about this from the start. I first heard about SR4 back in October and I thought, wow it would be awesome! Fix the problems with SR3 and make a better game.

Then I got a look at the changes. Not proposed changes but changes. Anyone who thought they were contributing by posting ideas on the board about what SR4 should be, was smoking crack.

As the above quote says, they don't care. They would rather dismiss all their current fans and trade them in for the unwashed masses of Vampire, D20, and the other simplified games. Make no mistake this is about money.

Where my ire really comes in is the BLATANT misrepresentation that FanPro tired to get away with. By that I mean the revised BS they were laying on us. Saying that it was the same game. That they were just making changes. It took them almost a month to admit that it was a whole new game. And I had to yell and argue and fight to get them to admit that.

Thats what pissed me off.

FrostyNSO
Funny this,
I pulled up the FAQs for my group down south and had them read over them. After each had gotten to take a look, one guy stands up and says:
"Looks like we're sticking with 3rd edition."
Everybody laughed...but the sad part was we knew it was true unless FanPro can convince us they are really putting out a "better" product than the one we already love.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Shadow)

The irony is, it's gonna backfire on them. None of the "unwashed masses" are gonna bother to convert to SR; why would they, when d20 Modern gives them a system they're more familiar with? If all they're doing is trying to steal new customers from d20 by offering the same basic thing then they're in for a big disappointment.
JongWK
QUOTE (Penta)
The fact that we even have to get all the info like that through translations does drive me batty.

Do remember that FanPro Germany is a bigger company than its subsidiary, FanPro USA.
Ellery
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
None of the "unwashed masses" are gonna bother to convert to SR; why would they, when d20 Modern gives them a system they're more familiar with?
They'll switch for the setting. That's what the developers are counting on, anyway, I bet.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (JongWK)
QUOTE (Penta @ May 23 2005, 08:54 PM)

Do remember that FanPro Germany is a bigger company than its subsidiary, FanPro USA.

On the other hand, I believe that English-speaking countries constitute the majority of the Shadowrun market. Is this incorrect?

~J
JongWK
Point taken, though FanPro.de still has more available staff.
Ellery
And more Germans know English than Americans know German. Even if the U.S. market was not the largest, that would be an argument for the book to be written in English.
JongWK
I'm not saying anything about it being right or wrong, merely pointing out at the current situation.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (JongWK @ May 23 2005, 10:30 PM)
Point taken, though FanPro.de still has more available staff.

But not one person to officially translate information that one might assume was originally in English (if it is in fact a quote from the book) presented in German to the German fans to English for everyone else.

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 23 2005, 06:21 PM)
I don't know if you all remember but I have been yelling about this from the start. I first heard about SR4 back in October and I thought, wow it would be awesome! Fix the problems with SR3 and make a better game.

I should amend this to ask... How deep into this game are you now to make these claims?
Grinder
QUOTE (Ellery)
And more Germans know English than Americans know German. Even if the U.S. market was not the largest, that would be an argument for the book to be written in English.

And after the last translated books, a lot of german buyers will only buy the english original book and not the crappy translated german version.
Hasagwan
Okay hold up. They have all this stuff in German for you guys that they haven't shown to us, but in the end you'll buy the US stuff because the German translation is horrible? eek.gif
Grinder
They don't translate the german-only stuff like Schockwellen (hope that was clear smile.gif ) and this stuff is much better when it comes to grammar and the like. The translations of SoE or SOTA: 2064 had been so worse that i sold those books and bought them again in english. And i'll do so with the upcoming books as well. Besides it normally takes a few weeks until the german version is available - and i don't want to wait that long. Especially not for a flawed translation.
Eldritch
QUOTE (Ellery)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
None of the "unwashed masses" are gonna bother to convert to SR; why would they, when d20 Modern gives them a system they're more familiar with?
They'll switch for the setting. That's what the developers are counting on, anyway, I bet.

It won't be too long before you can duplicate the setting in D20. One of their up coming source books is a Cybertech thing - new cyber rules, net running, etc. I wouldn't be suprised to see some rigger type rules in there.

mfb
there's a 3rd-party cyberpunk book out. the netrunning is... well, it's terrible, if you're interested in any sort of detail. it's basically the astral plane with refinements and easier access.
hobgoblin
refering to ogl cybernet mfb?

from what i know there is atleast 2 third party cyberpunk d20 books out, ogl cybernet and digital burn (or something like that). there is allso a fan translation pdf of cyberpunk 2020 (atleast it looks that way) and there is a d20 future sourcebook for d20 modern (cyberware, mecha, spaceships, future tech equipment and aliens) + a cyberspace pdf (that looks like a chapter that they dropped from the d20 future book).
mfb
d20 future isn't bad. the mecha rules are hilariously complex, though. i pity the foo' who picks up d20 future looking for a beer-and-pretzels mecha game.
Eldritch
And wizards new forthcoming Cyberspace book:

This new rules supplement provides everything players and Gamemasters need to create and run campaigns featuring cybernetics in the post-modern realm of cyberpunk fiction. Building on the d20 Future  cybernetic rules, d20 Cyberscape  includes rules for installing cybernetics and playing cyborgs, as well as new advanced classes and enhancements. d20 Cyberscape  also features rules for magical and psionic cybernetics and virtual reality networks
Jrayjoker
That doesn't at all sound like anything we know of, does it? sarcastic.gif
mfb
no, actually, it doesn't. SR doesn't have magical cybernetics. SR also lacks viable psionics.
Jrayjoker
OK
Bigity
Haha, do you have to have 3 levels of the Street Samurai Prestige Class to get Wired Reflexes 3 installed?
Cheops
But it still means that d20 will have a system out that will be able to do everything that Shadowrun does and has a much larger fan base...

I really think that whoever is in charge of marketing and brand management at FanPro should have done a lot more research before giving SR4 the go ahead. It'll have to be a very good improvement over SR3 (which I'm sure the developers believe with all their hearts) to win over the current gamers and it would have to be something truly unique and worthwhile to seduce d20 players into spending another 100 or 200 dollars to get the core rules from another game.
Jrayjoker
I think the point of mfb correcting me was to point out that it may have the veneer of similarity, but its execution (based on the small blurb we have seen here) is radically different.
Charon
You know, us D20 players (Yeah, I am one) are not members of a sect that needs to be brainwashed back into playing games without 20 sided dice.

First of all, money is no more a barrier to new SR player than it is for any other game. A D&D player will have to invest just as much money to get into Spycraft as he would have to invest to get into SR.

The only difference is the instant familiarity you get from another D20 system. But that cuts both way since a player that, for example, wants to take a break from D&D might not be thrilled at the idea to play D&D with guns. He may wants something different.

SR4 doesn't have to work miracles. Just be a fun game with easy to understand mechanics, a fast pace and its own identity.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
d20 future isn't bad. the mecha rules are hilariously complex, though. i pity the foo' who picks up d20 future looking for a beer-and-pretzels mecha game.

if you think d20 future is complex, try out d20 mecha from guardians of order. its like rigger3 for d20 nyahnyah.gif you can build anything from powerarmor to space stations. only thing helping it is that the main build chapter is broken down as a step by step guide rather then freeform as it is in rigger3.

and eldritch, mind posting a link to the page you quoted? i dont feel like hunting all over the wotc site for it nyahnyah.gif
Eldritch
Wa-La

I actually came across it whil browsing theit forums.

*stands up, looks around nervously* "My name is eldritch, And I play d20!"

*sits back down*

*shrug* I've grown to like the system - playing mostly Star Wars and D20 Modern. Like any other system, if there is something you don't like, change it, don't use it, or look for something else. There's plenty of materiel out there......

hobgoblin
*adding book to to-buy list*
looks promising, and after getting over the initial way that d20 future handled cyberware (more then 1+con bonus items give -1 effective level or somthing like that) and i kinda like it nyahnyah.gif

but i allso kinda like ogl cybernet, including the network system as it basicly uses the normal rules in a secondary world. but allows the "hacker" to pull software out of thin air with a good programming skill and even rewrite the server he is on. and its a simple 10 round online, 1 round in real life so the hacker goes speedy gonzales nyahnyah.gif
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Charon)
You know, us D20 players (Yeah, I am one) are not members of a sect that needs to be brainwashed back into playing games without 20 sided dice.

First of all, money is no more a barrier to new SR player than it is for any other game. A D&D player will have to invest just as much money to get into Spycraft as he would have to invest to get into SR.

The only difference is the instant familiarity you get from another D20 system. But that cuts both way since a player that, for example, wants to take a break from D&D might not be thrilled at the idea to play D&D with guns. He may wants something different.

SR4 doesn't have to work miracles. Just be a fun game with easy to understand mechanics, a fast pace and its own identity.

But the question is, will you drift over from your old game to lay out beaucoup bucks for this new one? Even allowing $25 for the core book and $15 for each of the "basic" suppliments-guns/cyber/magic/cars that's like $85 for a game that maybe you'll like.what I'm seeing here is that many of the old style players do not intend to support the new ed, so what you have to wonder about the marketing div of Fanpro, closely related to the Marketing Division of the Serius Cybernetic corporation, is can they draw in new fans to lay out bucks faster then they will lose revenue form the old fans who respond to their shake down with a one finger wave.
Cochise
Slightly "off-topic":

QUOTE (nick012000)
Well, the Sniper rifle in SR3 has rules stating that for every combat turn you use it outside of a sniper role, it has a chance that it's optics will get misaligned, and it takes a +2 to target numbers.

Which isn't a general trait of sniper rifles in SR, but is an exclusive trait of the Ranger Arms

I remember that the Barret from the CC has double recoil, and an integral bipod to compensate for it.

The Barret also comes with a 14D damage instead of the 14S of a normal sniper rifle. Take strength 6 human and a new hand grip and the recoil issue is gone ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012