Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [LooseAlliances] Loose Alliances
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
CloneAdam
Hey hey,

Loose Alliances is currently in the printing/shipping process, and should be in stores late this month.

A pre-release version is currently available at the two ebook venues that offer our products:

* Loose Alliances at BattleCorps
* Loose Alliances at DriveThruRPG

If you haven't checked it out yet, you can read a 16 page preview of the book here.

Loose Alliances

Product ID: 25006 | Print Price: 24.99 | Pages: 164
Authors: Elissa Carey, Dan Grendel, Robyn King-Nitschke, Christian Lonsing, and others
Cover Artist: Marc Sasso

Corps don't give a drek about the runners they hire. That's why they call us expendable assets. And forget working for the Mob or the Yakuza -- once you're in, you're part of their family for the rest of your life. Lucky for us, there are swarms of other factions looking to claim their piece of sprawl -- and who are willing to bypass the law to do it. Policlubs, magic groups, religious factions, black marketeers -- and those are just the ones on my block. Hooking up with an organization has its advantages -- resources, steady employment, backup -- but pick the wrong group to run with and you'll regret it when they kick you to the curb. So what's it going to be chummer? You can't roll solo forever."

Loose Alliances is a sourcebook for organizations and third party groups that operate by their own set of rules in the Shadowrun world. From political factions and religious groups to relic hunters and Tamanous organleggers, it provides a wealth of information on the more obscure parties in the shadows and the benefits and drawbacks that comes with them.

Crimsondude 2.0
The UN has a military now. That's hilarious. So is, "The UN prefers efficiency..." (63). Made my day. So did the reference to UNATCO, and JC Denton, and how familiar it will probably seem to many readers.

The tone of the Neo-Communism subchapter is infuriatingly annoying though.
Trax
What the...UNATCO and JC Denton is in there?
Crimsondude 2.0
Yes.

UNATCO is a component of the UN. There is a shadowposter with the nick "JC Denton" talking about taking shadowrunning jobs for the UN using diplomatic cover as part of a megacorporate observer team.

BTW, Dunk was the President, not the President-Elect. Kind of annoying.

I'm also curious as to, oh, I don't know, what's going down in North America.
Zen Shooter01
A very cool book, at first look. A very intelligent book, too, handling its complicated political and social material with elegance and without treating the reader like a semiliterate - hooray for SR, aiming at something higher than the lowest common denominator!

This raises my hopes for 4th edition.

I've got mixed feelings about PDF. I get the book two weeks sooner and eight bucks cheaper, no trees had to die...but what about my local retailer? (I know...I'll go and buy eight bucks worth of comics tomorrow.
JongWK
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

Oh, come on. Ted's so kewl and lovable! rotfl.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
My annoyance is beyond the capacity for sarcasm.
JongWK
Heh, ok.

Will you post a review later on?
Synner
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ May 22 2005, 07:40 AM)
A very cool book, at first look. A very intelligent book, too, handling its complicated political and social material with elegance and without treating the reader like a semiliterate  - hooray for SR, aiming at something higher than the lowest common denominator!

For what its worth, Loose Alliances has become one of my favorite SR books ever, because of the way it does address some pretty deep issues from environmentalism and religious fundamentalism through to fascism and communism without ever getting bogged down or preachy. It also represents the first time I've seen something like this addressed in a roleplaying game with this depth and relevance. The 3-dimensional Islamic material in particular, despite its SR slant, might prove an eye-openner for some used to a much more 2-dimensional portrayal - of course we're probably getting into trouble with some for crossing the line again on religion.
Starglyte
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

How so? I don't have the book yet, but I was looking forward to seeing how they
did the Neo-Communist.
Critias
QUOTE (Starglyte)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 21 2005, 11:29 PM)

How so? I don't have the book yet, but I was looking forward to seeing how they
did the Neo-Communist.

They "did" it from the point of view of an ADHD suffering 12 year old riding a sugar high, apparently.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Starglyte)
How so? I don't have the book yet, but I was looking forward to seeing how they did the Neo-Communist.

It's written from the point of view of an otaku kid that likes to refer to themself in the third person. Personally I found it rather amusing, but then humour is a rather subjective thing. smile.gif
Snoof
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Starglyte @ May 22 2005, 01:26 PM)
How so? I don't have the book yet, but I was looking forward to seeing how they did the Neo-Communist.

It's written from the point of view of an otaku kid that likes to refer to themself in the third person. Personally I found it rather amusing, but then humour is a rather subjective thing. smile.gif

Radical Edward, anyone?

Snoof
mfb
ed's not capable of maintaining interest in a single subject for that long. ein would have had to compose it from ed's scrambled notes.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (JongWK @ May 22 2005, 03:07 AM)
Heh, ok.

Will you post a review later on?

Like I said before, maybe, but SL will get it first. I just finished the book last night.

And the quickie review I did yesterday afternoon of the first two chapters... You don't want to see that.
Crimsondude 2.0
This, you have to see. These are the first two sentences of the Neo-Communism subchapter after Cap's intro.
QUOTE (LA @ 25)
Hey, all you runners!!! Ted is going to beam you all you need to know about the spoooky neo-commies out there. So much to do, so little time--hang on tiiight!

I don't like paying good money, especially $22 for a PDF, to have to read a bad ripoff of Ed from Cowboy Bebop, which is exactly who Ted is.

This isn't funny. It's pathetic.

You want my review on SL from yesterday? Here it is
I've finished the first chapter and a half of LA on the political groups in T6W and the idle rich and their toys (i.e., the UN, Aegis Cognito) as well as the section on tresaure hunters.

First off, this book is damned European. I guess you could probably guess as much just by looking at the writing credits. However, it's especially annoying--No, let me rephrase that-- It's annoying as fuck that these fringe policlubbers and their assorted types are described without regard in any way to any of the more uniquely American political activist groups. Maybe it's because this books supposed to be for possible clients, and not opfor or targets, but I think it's bullshit that all runners are left-wingers like this book portrays. I can't believe there's not one goddamn Republican shadowrunner in Seattle (well... in the UCAS). But we get no think-tanks, religious organizations and advocacy groups, legal or single-issue organizations of a considerable size larger than some organizations in the book (yeah, like the NRA's going to vanish between now and 2064).

But hey, now we know there is a paramilitary special operations group of Anarchist runners called Black Star, so it's all good, right?

BTW, the section on the Neo-Communists is painful to read. it's supposed to be written by a 12 year-old Otaku (Strike 1/2), who is somewhat interested in politics but not actually because she blows off even a superficial overview of the types of communism, plus she actually writes like an overly-caffeinated and sugar-fed 12 year-old boy. It has its moments, and it sets up some information about what's coming up in SoA and SoLA (describing some of the countries which are communist, "fascist" or "other).

The UN subchapter is interesting. I stopped buying it when there was a line about how the UN preferred efficiency. I almost started laughing. Apparently the UN now has it's own military of about 30,000 from mostly Awakened "Green" countries like Amazonia. Oh, and Jerusalem has been "settled" in what seems like the same way as Clancy did it in The Sum of All Fears, overseen by an Ecumenical Council and secured by UN peacekeepers and out of any country's jurisdiction. Aegis is a little hard to believe due to how they work for everyone AND spy on everyone (because you know there has to be overlap). There is also a section on the network of Euro-aristocracy which is interesting in that there are even more people with a little power and their own internicine conflicts and agendas.

The treasure seekers are great. We get the Atlantean Foundation; Apep, which is run by amongst others, a Swiss law firm that represents vampires and was counsel for the German UB; DIMR; independents like a 16 year-old Indian (dot, not feather) treasure hunter who has special magical gifts even though she's not even an Initiate. I think they're trying to telegraph something about SR4 magic. Or I'm paranoid. Oh, and remember Thais? Aina's half-Horror son from Worlds Without End. He's in there, and no one really seems to mind that much that they've dealt with some half-snake thing. Anyway, more to come.

This came later when I finished the Vigilia Evagelica subchapter
Wait, it gets better. Apparently there are shadowy elements in the Catholic Church fighting Chulthu worshippers or something.

The Verjigorm worshippers or something, perhaps, because we really needed a shadow war between the RCC and the Horror followers.

This book is, without a doubt in my mind, the most derivative and unoriginal SR book ever published.
hermit
First off, this book is damned European.

Okay, I got LA marked for immediate purchase.

Maybe it's because this books supposed to be for possible clients, and not opfor or targets, but I think it's bullshit that all runners are left-wingers like this book portrays.Maybe it's because this books supposed to be for possible clients, and not opfor or targets, but I think it's bullshit that all runners are left-wingers like this book portrays. I can't believe there's not one goddamn Republican shadowrunner in Seattle (well... in the UCAS). But we get no think-tanks, religious organizations and advocacy groups, legal or single-issue organizations of a considerable size larger than some organizations in the book (yeah, like the NRA's going to vanish between now and 2064).

And maybe they actually wanted to avoid being drawn into the dirty, filthy business that is US interior politics.

Besides, I always just assumed there still is an NRA in my gaming group. Comes in pretty handy when you try to locate arms fixers in UCAS towns (unless you happen to be meta, japanese or black). These people are fun to deal with both from a GM and a player perspective. I also play a militiaman sammy who is decidedly what you could call a right-wing republican (basically, part Al Bundee, part pre-politics Bush and part that guy from 'Falling Down').

I stopped buying it when there was a line about how the UN preferred efficiency. I almost started laughing

Wow. Talk about knee-jerk reflexes.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, well studying the UN for six months back in HS for Academic Decathlon didn't exactly leave me with a great deal of admiration in the first place.
hermit
1. Just because it prefers efficiency doesn't mean it is efficient. GM or DaimlerChrysler would prefer to build quality cars, too, for instance; doesn't make their cars any more high quality.

2. Just because it is inefficient today, doesn't mean it, as an organisation, wouldn't prefer more efficiency. All it'd really need is a good kick in the arse, and for all I know from SR lore, the corps made sure it got it's kicking. And the greenie states donating troops to the UN isn't so far off. If more would do it, the scandinavians and Germany (under a leftie government) would propably do that.

3. US High school is hardly the place to look for accurate information on anything remotely related to politics or the world outside US borders.
Crimsondude 2.0
Great. I'm not about to debate the UN or American HS education (nice trolling, though) here, and so as far as I'm concerned this conversation is over.
Synner
Aegis (and Infolio and CIS and Argus previously featured in SoTA64) doesn't work for everyone they were for the select few who don't have their own intelligence resources but have the money to afford to outsource them. Whether you "buy it" or not it is in fact based on a a couple of existing companies that do much the same business today (one American and one French).
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (hermit)
Besides, I always just assumed there still is an NRA in my gaming group. Comes in pretty handy when you try to locate arms fixers in UCAS towns (unless you happen to be meta, japanese or black). These people are fun to deal with both from a GM and a player perspective. I also play a militiaman sammy who is decidedly what you could call a right-wing republican (basically, part Al Bundee, part pre-politics Bush and part that guy from 'Falling Down').

What the hell? So everyone who's in the NRA doesn't like metas, japanese or blacks?

QUOTE (Synner)
Aegis (and Infolio and CIS and Argus previously featured in SoTA64) doesn't work for everyone they were for the select few who don't have their own intelligence resources but have the money to afford to outsource them. Whether you "buy it" or not it is in fact based on a a couple of existing companies that do much the same business today (one American and one French).

I don't know how much you looked into these companies, but their intel is often suspect at best. Not to mention, some intelligence is a lot more useful when you can be sure you're the only one who knows it. These companies should be used more for "fact-checking" leads you already have. They could never hold a candle to the CIA or any comparable intelligence service.

Also, is there any reference to the Foreign Legion in the U.N. chapter? IRL the Foreign Legion is the UN's dirty workhorse. Still, I find the idea of the U.N. troops and their "greenie" contributors to be somewhat floofy. Could the UN accomplish anything without the United States (or UCAS) providing the lion's share of military contribution?
Zen Shooter01
Crimsondude:

It's the 6th World, not the 6th North America. And you may have heard that FanPro has their headquarters in Germany. You may also have noticed that a lot of Dumpshockers, representing SR players as a whole, are from places like France and the UK.

The information on the factions in 6th World Islam applies also, one might suppose, to the millions of Muslims in North America.

Likewise for the information on global Catholicism.

Likewise for the politics of metahuman rights.

There are also women in North America, so we can suppose that women's rights groups probably have a toehold there.

The information on fascism and antifascism specifically mentions Tir Tairngire, Aztlan, CAS right-wingers, and the Illuminates of the New Dawn.

And it's a little ridiculous to rant so venomously about just one section in the book, just because you don't like the tone.

Starglyte
Thanks for giving me your opinion on the Neo-Communist section Crimsondude.
That was the part of the book I was looking forward to the most. Any ties mentioned to the People's University in San Franisco?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Synner @ May 22 2005, 04:48 PM)

Yes, and yet they don't include a noncompetition clause in their standard contracts.

QUOTE (Starglyte)
Thanks for giving me your opinion on the Neo-Communist section Crimsondude.
That was the part of the book I was looking forward to the most. Any ties mentioned to the People's University in San Franisco?

No

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Also, is there any reference to the Foreign Legion in the U.N. chapter?

No

Could the UN accomplish anything without the United States (or UCAS) providing the lion's share of military contribution?

Apparently so. I was half-surprised the UCAS was a Permanent Member of the Security Council

Oh, and I haven't even gotten to the Islamic groups. What annoys me is that there is no real reference to any effect on the Western Hemisphere. I find this especially interesting since the largest Persian community in the world outside of Iran is in Los Angeles, and that there are several cities (namely, Detroit) with large Iraqi and Arab communities, or their influence (monetary or otherwise) should still be felt in NA. But what do we get? The hang out of some IUM members in Seattle. Wow.

Now, perhaps this is just initial disappointment of expecting the same quality as SOTA64, which rocked my socks, but it's just not there. And maybe when I do a full review of the book things will be more clear and less tinged with that disappointment.

There's so much potential ...
Critias
QUOTE (hermit)
Besides, I always just assumed there still is an NRA in my gaming group. Comes in pretty handy when you try to locate arms fixers in UCAS towns (unless you happen to be meta, japanese or black).

Fuck you. The NRA isn't the KKK. For someone who whines about "knee jerk reactions" in other people's posts, you're an awful broad-brush painting bigot, yourself.
Penta
What do you expect? He's Eurotrash.

(I've had it with "American" being synonymous for target.)
Veracusse
I agree that some of the more recent books have had a leftist leaning slant to them. Also, excluding SoE, they have seemed to have a Eurocentric slant as well. This can be somewhat annoying at least to Americans I guess. I will reserve any judgement of LA until I pick up a hard copy of it and read it.

Boy I am sure looking forward to the Neo-Communist chapter now. I hope there is a Hard-Right wing conservative bigot chapter too. devil.gif

Veracusse
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, the Fascist subchapter and the Anti-Meta subchapter, which of course are painted with broad strokes of righteous indignation shared for the likes of Tanamous.

And yet Assets, Inc. gets a pass. *shakes his head*

BTW, hermit. You keep forgetting: I don't assume anything about the SR world, especially like Raskolnikov described in a SR4 thread because gaming on SL doesn't afford me that luxury.

Oh, I just don't know what to say when you leave a typo in that was pointed out when the preview was released. I also see now that the Rinelle has, "non-eleven metahuman supporters" (54).

Anyway, I would like to recharacterize my above post and comments as not so much a "review" as a "first impression." However, that doesn't mean that I don't still feel cheated or jerked around.

My concern is that unlike SOTA64 where I went from giddy to simmering about some things in the book, it's already working at a disadvantage.

I'd also like to mention that as it was pointed out, there are NA political agitators (e.g., the Rinelle and some Yucatan groups) my point was that it carries a European flavor which is, in my mind, distinct from what someone like myself would expect. I don't even know many West Coasters like dear Captain Chaos who refer to the Atlantic as "the pond." It doesn't sound right.

I'd also like to know where this huge mansion is in Foggy Bottom where the IOND is headquartered because in the 3.5 years I lived there I never saw anything like that. Lots of apartment buildings, condos, and townhouses which are on historic preservation lists, but no mansions. There was a time when I was impressed with the fact that when Jak Koke described the assassination in Stranger Souls he included a reference to the small trees lining Virginia Ave. in front of the Watergate, which is now apparently in downtown.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Yeah, the Fascist subchapter and the Anti-Meta subchapter, which of course are painted with broad strokes of righteous indignation shared for the likes of Tanamous.

I wrote the Anti-Meta subchapter (as well as the Pro-Meta and Tamanous sections) and trust me, nobody's ever accused me of being left-wing. smile.gif (And no, before anybody asks, I'm not a Republican, either. If I must label myself, I'm a fiscally conservative, socially laissez-faire Libertarian with a few random Objectivist tendencies). However, I think a little righteous indignation (maybe even a lot) is perfectly in order when referring to groups with agendas based on hatred for a particular metatype simply because they exist. While we're at it, I don't much like the KKK, either.
Crimsondude 2.0
Oh, that's funny. I thought this game was Shadowrun, you know the game focusing on professional criminals who live in a world that isn't black and white, but shades of grey.

But, come on. Who writes this
QUOTE (LA @ 138)
Some groups would be hard-pressed to form an alliance in even the direst of circumstances. For example, having Alamos 20,000 work with the Metahuman’s People Army would be an unbelievable stretch, as no common cause could overcome the two groups’ hatred for each other. Such an alliance breaks the reality of the gaming world.

when there is a common enemy amongst factions of those orgs who, for example, want Saito out of "their" California?

Like the late Ahmed Shah Massoud was reported to have toasted to tribal leaders during the Soviet invasion, "First we kill the Russians. Then we kill each other." One can't imagine anyone in the MPA or A20K saying that?
Critias
Overwhelming firepower controlled by a common enemy makes for strange bedfellows. I mean, hell, look at some of the countries who made up the Allied forces during WWII. Or the Axis, for that matter (Germany and Japan, two countries who at the time openly embraced racism and proclaimed themselves, individually, the only race worth existing)...

Weirder things have happened, IRL, than any fictional game-based groups banding together, however sporadically, against a common enemy. Saying "it would break the reality of the game world" is a little silly.
winterhawk11
I must admit I can't claim responsibility for the quote you included--I didn't write the "Unholy Alliances" section.

I can certainly see your point about there being situations where the two groups might find common ground.

Crimsondude 2.0
Yes, but with regard to what you wrote it fits in together. I think it's interesting that people who edged towards agreeing or even acknowledging those groups' views were just... nonexistent. Like I said, I can't imagine a world without right-wing runners or runners who align themselves with even the most fringe element. They don't have any company men equivalents, any mercenary runners on retainer who don't care who they work for or who they hurt, and those runners never post anything logical and sensible-sounding in the books. It's strange because people out there clearly think these guys make sense. And it was weird because the preview page of the Humanis section read like something that you hear on talk radio only with metas instead of minorities.

There's a whole world out there that accepts some sort of facile, weak, maybe even self-delusional racism or fascist tendencies, and yet magically not one runner works for them or even thinks like them, not one runner was a member of White Resistance while in prison, not one person has anything to say other than to spit the most vile of venom. Maybe it's because they fear reprisal from judgmental extremists on the other side to say anything (like the posters, "Antifa" or "Brick"). In that case, my .sig speaks for itself.

The only ones who get a voice are the eco-fascists, and they act like madmen.

But speaking of the Game Information, let me express my utter contempt for whoever wrote this:
QUOTE (146)
Let’s be blunt though: if fascist ideologies are actually attractive to your players, they should probably not be playing this game and should go get their heads examined instead.

Especially ironic given that the apparent target market of SR (teenage male gamers) is in part defined by facile proto-fascist leanings because they know better than everyone else. If I wanted to be lectured down to about politics, SR is the last place I'm going to tolerate it when it comes in a book for a game about professional criminals. Clearly the author (and I'd bet it was Rob) knows better than we all do and felt compelled to share. Meanwhile, running those groups is mentioned for completeness sake before being followed up with much more text about how to play a campaign where they start off evil but learn the errors of their ways.
Raskolnikov
I do see some merit in the book however. I will admit that a lot of it was derivative and that the more...obvious rips (tributes?) were somewhat painful. However much of what I dislike about it can be handled with simply a shift in tone, a shift that does not require me to change any of the items presented as fact in the book.

So, this means there is still a lot of fairly useful information, even if much of it is simply a collection of names to use in order to fit fringe groups into cannon.

I haven't read the UN chapter yet Crimson. As most of my study in political science was in internation conflict, I am keen to. The first questions I am interested in relate to the standing army.

I wonder as to its mandate, missions, projection ability, etc. Unless they have a lot more money (relatively) to throw around than the UN of today, it would be difficult to make a force that can do much more than march in parades.

To be continued with post-reading thoughts.
Synner
There's a whole world out there that accepts some sort of facile, weak, maybe even self-delusional racism or fascist tendencies, and yet magically not one runner works for them or even thinks like them, not one runner was a member of White Resistance while in prison, not one person has anything to say other than to spit the most vile of venom. Maybe it's because they fear reprisal from judgmental extremists on the other side to say anything (like the posters, "Antifa" or "Brick"). In that case, my .sig speaks for itself.

Not entirely true. Right at the head of the fascist chapter, a couple of obviously right-wing posters make their point of view known at least as well as Antifa.

Then there's also the fact that maybe right-wing hardliners aren't the sort of people who hang around a board run by a self-declared neo-anarch?

Clearly the author (and I'd bet it was Rob) knows better than we all do and felt compelled to share.

Actually I wrote that section, and yes it was slightly edited, but the tone is mostly mine (including the crack about the US at the turn of the century). Personally I don't presume to comment on anyone's political leanings, but I will say researching this material was one of the scariest experiences in my writing "career" to date and maybe it shows.

I'd like to note that there is a significant difference between being Conservative (even hard-line Conservative or Neo-Con) and a Fascist. "Fascist" is a loaded word, as I mention in the fiction, and this time it is used in the strictest sense. Your quote was specifically directed at a fascist ideology (any that fulfills that list of attributes in the book) and nothing more.

This was a problem I knew was going to come up which was inevitable in a politicized book. It's like using the term "Socialist" when talking with most Americans as opposed to a European or Asian; to many Americans it would come as a surprise to know that most Europeans would agree a significant number of current day Euro-governments are Socialists, because of the associations the word has in the American paradigm (see Kissinger's Diplomacy). For what it's worth, in my defense, I will say my Degree is in International Relations and Politics and the terms and concepts used are those currently considered the accepted descriptors for those ideologies.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (Raskolnikov)

I haven't read the UN chapter yet Crimson. As most of my study in political science was in internation conflict, I am keen to. The first questions I am interested in relate to the standing army.

"Standing army" would I guess be overstated:

QUOTE (p.63)

the UNAF is only active
at nine locations. The UN prefers efficiency, so with less than
30,000 troops and a small budget they selectively choose
what situations in which to deploy UNAF. In many ways, the
UNAF is closer to a small-unit commando force, relying heavily
on drones when needed, than to a full-fledged military.

As for the "The UN prefers efficiency", note it here refers specifically to peacekeeping operations, not to its overall workings.

As for the whole "efficiency" issue, I think using this quote would be more appropriate:

QUOTE (p.58)

Streamlined and reorganized, the UN’s various institutions
were given smaller objectives that they could achieve
more efficiently.

BTW, I think identifying the "old", Third-Worldist, powerless UN with its 6th World version, *originally revived by the corps for their own purposes*, is an indecent and innapropriate shortcut.
I think viewing the Sixth World's UN as an "update" of its early 21st century's counterpart is a mistake. Its ambitions, its masters, its means and its MO are clearly not te same.

Regarding the whole "UCAS" thing, I hardly see how the UCAS could be left out of the SecCouncil.
Face the canon of SR history though: US forces have been split among several countries. Years of wars in North America have strained the UCAS army. The US disengaged from all its bases and positions abroad, leaving Europe, Asia and relocating *all* of its military assets to North America, where they are now forced to watch a few potentially hostile borders.
In this regard, in 2064, what fuck does the UCAS give in terms of international politics ? Not much. Would the UN use the UCAS military as its main armed force for a peacekeeping op / mandated war ? Could the UCAS wage a war in Irak, Afghanistan or even South America ? No.

Now for the "Green" countries: It happens that they are the few countries that, according to SR canon, could have (decent amounts of) troops to spare to an initiative such as UNAF, and who could draw something from it.
And it happens that the corps need the UN to perform "peacekeeping ops" in a few select spots, and for that they need troops they don't have. So they find them where they are - and "Green" countries are providers.

Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Synner)

Not entirely true. Right at the head of the fascist chapter, a couple of obviously right-wing posters make their point of view known at least as well as Antifa.

Well, you proved me wrong. That's nothing compared to Antifa and Brick specifically in their overt hostility.

Then there's also the fact that maybe right-wing hardliners aren't the sort of people who hang around a board run by a self-declared neo-anarch?

I thought SL hadn't been neo-anarchist since Findley died.

I'd like to note that there is a significant difference between being Conservative (even hard-line Conservative or Neo-Con) and a Fascist. "Fascist" is a loaded word, as I mention in the fiction, and this time it is used in the strictest sense. Your quote was specifically directed at a fascist ideology (any that fulfills that list of attributes in the book) and nothing more.

Oh, well I guess I didn't need that B.A. in Political Science after all. Thanks. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but one (namely, "I") could easily read that as an affront to my intelligence that I couldn't distinguish between Conservative and Fascist.

What offends me so much about that quote is that it reminded me of the argument I had in the Lounge several years ago about why Germany's free speech laws weren't because they ban certain types of political speech. I know enough about these guys to not want to have anything to do with them, but that's me. I also know that the Aryan Nation and white supremacist prison gangs aren't a joke. Given that, they also don't always act in black and white just because they think that way. What I don't do, though, is go around condemning them or thinking that they "need to have their heads checked" anymore than would apply to libero-anarchists, or communists, or Republicans. Not for what they think.

It is anathema to my very core way of thinking to say something like that even about people and ideas that piss me off. I don't like fascists or neo-Nazis or white supremacists, but I'm not about to sit in judgment about their beliefs, and I really don't like that someone--especially you--wrote that. I can't believe you would write such a thing. It boggles the mind, and it's just disappointing.
hermit
CD, maybe the fact that either Synner himself (if he is in his mid-to-late thirties) or at the very least his parents actually lived under a fascist regime have made him slightly less careless (and, to be honest, much more hateful) towards these people?

Respecting peoples beliefs and such is all fine, but I guess that changes once you have been at the receiving end of certain 'beliefs'.
Chance359
Crimsondude 2.0 you are single handedly killing my interest in this book, which is sad cause it'll be my second to last SR book.
Critias
QUOTE (hermit)
CD, maybe the fact that either Synner himself (if he is in his mid-to-late thirties) or at the very least his parents actually lived under a fascist regime have made him slightly less careless (and, to be honest, much more hateful) towards these people?

Respecting peoples beliefs and such is all fine, but I guess that changes once you have been at the receiving end of certain 'beliefs'.

Righty, but does having been on the receiving end of those beleifs give you the right to state your opinion on those beleifs as factual matter in something like an RPG sourcebook?

How much more outcry would there be over this -- I know I, at least, am irritated on the principle itself -- if the quote was:

Let’s be blunt though: if capitalst ideologies are actually attractive to your players, they should probably not be playing this game and should go get their heads examined instead.

It's like the old WoD book about Gypsies (that got quickly pulled back off shelves after some complaints). The book wasn't meant to be racist and bigoted, but if you ever go back through and reread it putting the word "JEW" wherever they had the word "Gypsy" the thing would never had been printed (except for 1930's Germany). Any time an entire real-world group is painted with broad brushstrokes and stereotyped in a negative (or positive, for that matter) manner by a game book it strikes me as fairly ridiculous. Being a freelancer (or even full-time dev) for a game doesn't, or at least shouldn't, give you the right to press your social/political views on other people (fairly impressionable people, the younger they get and the cooler they think the game is) and pass them off as fact.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
But, come on. Who writes this
QUOTE (LA @  138)
Some groups would be hard-pressed to form an alliance in even the direst of circumstances. For example, having Alamos 20,000 work with the Metahuman’s People Army would be an unbelievable stretch, as no common cause could overcome the two groups’ hatred for each other. Such an alliance breaks the reality of the gaming world.

when there is a common enemy amongst factions of those orgs who, for example, want Saito out of "their" California?

Like the late Ahmed Shah Massoud was reported to have toasted to tribal leaders during the Soviet invasion, "First we kill the Russians. Then we kill each other." One can't imagine anyone in the MPA or A20K saying that?

I wrote that. I would find it more likely that Alamos 20K would use the type of reasoning described in the Ahmed Shah Massoud quote to unite with Saito to beat up metahumans, then get Saito out then to unite with their primary enemy first. And the MPA may want Saito out, but do they want it so badly that they'll help Alamos 20K on any of their secondary goals? Put yourself in the shoes of the MPA--what would Alamos 20K have to do to convince you that they won't double-cross you at the first opportunity?

You may be able to work something out, I suppose, with factions of a group who have somewhat different priorities than the parent organization, but then that's not what the quote from LA was talking about--it was talking about the parent organizations. I stand by it.

Jason H.
audun
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

I thought SL hadn't been neo-anarchist since Findley died.

Capt Chaos declares himself as Neo-Anarch right at the beginning.

QUOTE (146)
Let’s be blunt though: if fascist ideologies are actually attractive to your players, they should probably not be playing this game and should go get their heads examined instead.

I agree with the others that this isn't a good sentence to include in a game. For one I totally disagree. Neo-fascists could learn a lot from playing the game, and they don't necessarily need to have their heads examined. There are many attractions with fascist ideology, you don't have to be crazy or stupid to be one. Political correctness be damned.

I too find it odd that there no so few mentions of right-wing runners. Most people in occupations similar to shadowrunners IRL are frightingly far right, whereas runners are portrayed as some kind of anarchist criminals. IRL hard-core militant leftists usually have backgrounds as students, even if they end up as terrorists such as RAF or the Red Brigades.
That's a paradox in Shadowrun, but it's how it is. It is no more realistic than NAN, but it's a part of the game world.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (audun)
There are many attractions with fascist ideology, you don't have to be crazy or stupid to be one. Political correctness be damned.

Really ?

Even when you define fascism as in the book, with:

Strictly speaking,
a group that has most of these characteristics will likely be
considered fascist:

• Nationalism and super-patriotism, tinted with a
sense of historic mandate.
• Aggressive militarism or militancy, glorifying conflict
as good for the national and individual spirit,
and often leading to imperialism.
• Use of violence or threats of violence against the
opposition and to impose views on others.
• Reliance on an “enlightened” leader or elite that is
not constitutionally responsible.
• Cult of personality around charismatic leadership.
• Centralized, rigid and top-down organizational
structure.
• Dehumanization and scapegoating of the other; the
other is an outsider or enemy of society, defined as
subhuman, degenerate and/or inferior, and often the
subject of bigotry and racism.
• Self-image of representing a superior form of social
organization to socialism, capitalism and democracy,
presented as a heroic national undertaking.
• Romanticization of a mythic heritage, often tinged
with mystic elements.
• Promotion of strict moral values and social control,
prioritizing security over civil liberties.
• Patriarchal attitudes towards the subservience of
women, even while advocating equal involvement
from both sexes.

Your definition of fascism might be different, but when considering this definition, you think "there are many attractions to fascist ideology" ?
Critias
Sure there are, just like IRL. Who doesn't want to be a part of a rigidly structured organization (very efficient, with everyone sporting a rank to be proud of) that's led by a charismatic leader (I'd rather follow a JFK than a GW, if only because one feels more like a leader IMO), that's okay with using military force and violence (especially if they have snazzy uniforms) against their less-than-perfect enemies (degrading other groups while at the same time raising your own group up on a pedestal feels good, and makes it easier to kill the other guy), all the while singing the praises of your race/nation/both (everyone wants to feel special)?

I mean, that's why Facism did what it did IRL. You get to rail against people who are less than you, you get to do something about it, you get to do so in a sexy uniform, and you get to follow someone who's really cool and smart and has great things to say about you and what you're worth (especially what you're worth compared to Enemy Of The State A).

Shit. For examples of mini-Facist states, just look at any social clique, anywhere. From an elitist gaming group (ever heard anyone brag about how tough their GM is but what great things their SR gang accomplishes anyway?) to any high school clique ("my peers and I are cooler than you and your peers, and my boyfriend will beat you up if you disagree, nerd")...

Facism is easy to fall into. It is attractive, particularly to those who don't care to think about it too much, and/or those with self esteem problems already. Being attractive is why it's dangerous.
hermit
Let’s be blunt though: if capitalst ideologies are actually attractive to your players, they should probably not be playing this game and should go get their heads examined instead.

And you think it's fair to compare capitalism - which, while it has it's downs, isn't specifically out to kill people - with fascism (which is)?

The book wasn't meant to be racist and bigoted, but if you ever go back through and reread it putting the word "JEW" wherever they had the word "Gypsy" the thing would never had been printed (except for 1930's Germany).

Oh, if that were but true.

If you ever bother to read 'Mein Kampf', you'll notice (apart from that Hitler wasn't really much of a writer) that gypsies are considered a parasite people just as jews are, portrayed much the same way (but not as much of a threat, as they don't control the world economy yadda yadda). Makes this information even more interesting. Though I guess it was one of the first vampire books, right? Those were crap in his purest form.

Righty, but does having been on the receiving end of those beleifs give you the right to state your opinion on those beleifs as factual matter in something like an RPG sourcebook?

In the end, it's FanPro's right under the US free speech laws, isn't it? It may not be most subtle, and I personally don't think the book would really have lost much if it was left out (anyone who is attracted to fascism shouldn't think of being part of my group anyway), but it is their right to say this. Noone asks you to like it. I was just trying to point out why Synner may be a bit less tolerant about fascist ideology and fascists in general than you are, CD.

There are many attractions with fascist ideology, you don't have to be crazy or stupid to be one. Political correctness be damned.

True, there are. That doesn't mean you should treat fascists gently and with respect. A fist to the face is more their language anyway.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (Critias @ May 23 2005, 02:09 PM)

Shit.  For examples of mini-Facist states, just look at any social clique, anywhere.  From an elitist gaming group (ever heard anyone brag about how tough their GM is but what great things their SR gang accomplishes anyway?) to any high school clique ("my peers and I are cooler than you and your peers, and my boyfriend will beat you up if you disagree, nerd")... 

That's the very reason why you don't call social groups states. To be called fascist, a group has to be fairly well organized and promote specific goals related to fascism.

What you're describing is not fascism, it's elitist/superiority feeling.

Again, you're not fascist if you follow *one* of the elements above, but *most of them* (according to the author).

Put some of the stuff you describe in your social clique into a politically motivated movement (not just a bunch or RPGers or kids) and you'll get something like what you describe.

What you describe might be attractive at the level you're considering. At a political level though, this is outright scary IMO.
I'm not taking position here nor stating an opinion, just aking a question.

I guess the issue always comes down to the same thing: is it okay for groups to speak freely when what they want is people not to speak freely ?

Anyway, in the conditions you describe, it can be attractive alright. But only to people who need to have their head checked, if they like to spit on "inferior beings" and parade in flashy uniforms while chanting how fuking good they are.

As for whether or not this book was the right place to state such on opinion, I won't comment.

One last thing - some people seem to regret the "European tone" this book has. I'll say, why not ? SR's had an American feel for quite a while, why not even things a bit ?
Because SR's main target public is North American ? But then, why aren't there more American writers and less European ones to give the books their "proper" feel ?

EDIT: corrected typo
hermit
Skarn, that's a scary list.
Demonseed Elite
Wow, okay guys. I wasn't involved in writing Loose Alliances, I don't have the final book yet, and I've only read sections of the drafts...but yeah. Reading over this thread is a little bit of a window into insanity. Some criticisms may be warranted, of course, but on this thread I see this book being analyzed as if it's a research paper. It is not. It's a gaming book.
toturi
Some people have strongly stated that expressing a certain political viewpoint is inappropriate in a gaming book. Perhaps you can see it this way: It is their view on the matter and the GM is always welcome to House Rule. So even if the players are fascists and enjoy facism, the GM can always House Rule that it is okay for fascists to enjoy Shadowrun. But the authors and editors and other people who wrote the book is saying,"Facists(or whoever), f**k off my game/book!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012