Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most Useful 3 Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Cakeman)
Now, we all know that saving your loved ones from certain death is unnatural and leads to the dark side biggrin.gif

Actually I would say it is the desire to save your loved ones...Very neo-budhist.
apollo124
My favorites have always been Makeover, Physical Mask, and Levitate.

Using Levitate as a combat spell is so much fun. Ya just pick someone up and fly them around into a solid object, repeat as necessary.

Makeover gets you clean teeth, fresh breath, a new 'do, and stylin' clothes in one shot.

Physical Mask lets you instantly disappear into any crowd.
Jrayjoker
Chaotic world, control emotions, and treat.

Confuse 'em, make 'em happy to see me, and heal up after they figure it out.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Realistically, how much would you hate yourself if you or a loved one were severely wounded (say in a car accident), but you chose to learn how to go invisible or walk on learn how to date rape someone instead of healing them? Especially when the spell to do so is easily learned and cast.

Having been to enough accident scenes during my stint as a firefighter, I'd definitly take Heal.

I've lost enough family members to cancer, not to mention the mysterious lumps I only recently discovered, Cure Disease (Cancer) would be on the list for sure

The last would be a toss up between Gecko Crawl or Levitation
Apathy
Slay (Windling)
Detect Verjigorm, non-extended.
Wreck (Sun)

Nice. If you could get a 4th spell, how about Agony(self only) or Detect Fire(touch range)?
The Stainless Steel Rat
OK, if I'm the ONLY one getting magic I'll take:

Control Thought - 3
Improved Invisibility - 3
Treat - 4

But if we're ALL getting our wishes here I'll take:

Spell Shield - 5
Detect Magic - 3
Analyze Magic - 2

Obviously I'll need to protect myself from you whackos....
Akai Sokata
My three would be

Improve invis 5 (of course)
Control Emotion 6
and Magic fingers/fling (both of those seem to be fun.)

what about metamagic? can we learn that, because that affects it alot.

I mean who hear doesnt want a improved reflex 3 quickend spell tattoo?

or the Chaos Orb?
nezumi
Improved invisibility
Suggestion
Toxicate (free booze! Yay! Oh wait, with invisibility, I could probably just steal said booze, huh?)
The Stainless Steel Rat
It seems a lot of people here really want Inc Ref +3 - I don't think that spell would really that useful IRL. It's a mechanic made to compete with wired reflexes, which don't exist! IMHO if you only get three spells, taking a reflex booster is a waste of one.

Now a speed booster would be a different story...
wagnern
QUOTE (weblife)
Alot of people put healing spells on their lists. Realisticly however, how often does people get hurt where a bandaid couldn't deal with it?

Its not like magic can cure cancer or the other serious stuff that tend to kill us all in the end.

Yes, but if you get even a single use out of it and save a loved one who has been in an accident, then, I think it would be worth it.

Now I don't know many of the spells, (I don't play many mages) but something that would let you shrink down to an inch high would be cool (I paint minatures). And a pollymorph spell would be cool to take a vacation from yourself. (Want to relax on Sunday? then become a cat, the masters of relaxation and comfort. Want to play in the ball pit? No problem -bam- your now an 8 year old.) But I don't think eather of these is an option in Shadow Run, so I really don't know.
Rev
Control Thoughts 6
Shapechange 3
Phantasm 1

That would be good for either a shadowrunner, or real life. Control Thoughts will get you rich enough to dramatically reduce the risk of disease or injury for anyone you care about. For heal or treat to work you pretty much have to be standing right there when they get hit by the bus.
wagnern
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ May 31 2005, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (Cakeman @ May 31 2005, 11:11 AM)
Now, we all know that saving your loved ones from certain death is unnatural and leads to the dark side biggrin.gif

Actually I would say it is the desire to save your loved ones...Very neo-budhist.

There is a flood, and a man goes ontop his house to avoid the waters. His neighbors float by in their fishing boat.
"Bob, hop on board, we are going to higher ground." They shout.
"God will save me." He replyes, and his neighbors motor past to save others. Time goes on and the water rises more. Soon another boat comes by, and a megaphone blares:
"Sir, this is the Water Patrol, we are here to save you."
"God will save me!" he shouts. The water patrol moves on to save others. then the water rises more, and it now covers the whole roof and the man is clutching to the chemny to avoid being washed away. Helecopter rotors can be heard and a rope drop down before him. A mega phone blares:
"This is the National Guard, put on the harness and we will pull you up to saftey."
"God will save me!" he then throws the harness away in a few minutes later is washed away from his house and is drowned.

Up in heaven he asks God: "God, I have lived a pious life, I have beleaved in you, why did you not save me?"
God: "I sent two boats and a helecoptor, what more do you want?"

Revenge of the Sith RANTS: (unrelated I admit)

1: Ok, I fly around the galixy in a FLT ship, I have self aware robots, I have a freaking physics raping lazer sword, and when I get a vision of my wife's death in labor, I never wonce think: "Lets get a doctor, maby he can use his science to help?"

2: You would think that a group of people who can see into the future would study 'self fulfilling proficies' Comeon! Odepis Rex (or the SW universes equilivent) should be required reading for these people!

3: In these three movies the Jedi are made out to be the walking dead. No passion, no love, no hate, no dislike of turtleneck sweaters, heck, are they allowed any emotions more strong than mild appathy? Listen to Yoda and it becomes obvyous that perfering cherry pop-tarts over blueberry can lead to the darkside. It was sad to see the republic fall (and scarry too), but it was fun watching clone troopers blast Jedi.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Rev)
Control Thoughts 6
Shapechange 3
Phantasm 1

That would be good for either a shadowrunner, or real life. Control Thoughts will get you rich enough to dramatically reduce the risk of disease or injury for anyone you care about. For heal or treat to work you pretty much have to be standing right there when they get hit by the bus.

And shapechange can make you hot enough to seduce whoever you want, even if your money can't seduce them for you! wink.gif
weblife
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
QUOTE (Rev @ Jun 1 2005, 10:17 AM)
Control Thoughts 6
Shapechange 3
Phantasm 1

That would be good for either a shadowrunner, or real life.  Control Thoughts will get you rich enough to dramatically reduce the risk of disease or injury for anyone you care about.  For heal or treat to work you pretty much have to be standing right there when they get hit by the bus.

And shapechange can make you hot enough to seduce whoever you want, even if your money can't seduce them for you! wink.gif

Ah, actually it can't.. spell description states that it can turn you into a normal critter. Emphasis on critter.

Humans ain't critters. I think they made the distinction to protect the masking spells as the only spells that can hide your identity.

Or do you all (readers) allow shapechange to alter you into generic someone else?
wagnern
what is the drain codes of shapechange and mask? if mask is lighter than shapechange, I see no problem allowing shapechange to be able to cover mask. That would mean that mask is a version of shapechange optimised to one piticular type of critter.
Ol' Scratch
There's just so many things wrong with that logic. The most notable being that one's an Illusion spell and the other is a Transformation Manipulation spell.
Jrayjoker
OK, no books here so I stand corrected.

But what if I am trolling for furries?
nezumi
QUOTE (weblife)
Ah, actually it can't.. spell description states that it can turn you into a normal critter. Emphasis on critter.

I find it amusing that you focus on 'critter' and not 'normal'. I'd take normal to mean 'average' (so not drop-dead gorgeous), but I fail to see what makes humans not 'critters' if chimpanzees or porpoises or gnats are.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 1 2005, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (weblife @ Jun 1 2005, 12:33 PM)

I find it amusing that you focus on 'critter' and not 'normal'. I'd take normal to mean 'average' (so not drop-dead gorgeous), but I fail to see what makes humans not 'critters' if chimpanzees or porpoises or gnats are.

I prefer to think of them as non-sentient and mundane, but that is one for the FAQs
hyzmarca
I'm pretty sure that your CHA carries over to the shapechanged form, so a decent mage/face could seduce anything that reproduces sexully. I'd require a very high TN (reduced by approperiate knowledge skills and halved by animal empathy) ettiquite test. to do so.

It is known that shapechanged Dragons can reproduce with matahumans. What can shaechanged metahumans reproduce with and what would be the results? Is this the dark secret behind the origins of Shapeshifters?
Taran
Transform 3 (Exclusive for cost)
Create Food 3 (Exclusive for cost)
Heal 10 (Exclusive for cost)

I could see Cure Disease over Create Food, it depends on what exactly CD heals. Same situation for Heal. If Heal is weak then maybe replace it with Increase Charisma, which provides many of the same benefits as Control Thoughts without the dirty feeling. In that case you'd want to boost Transform, too. Transform doubles as a Levitate substitute since you can fly with it, and save your trapped friend by Transforming him into something small.

Alterate Layouts:

Create Food 3/Heal 7/Cure Disease 6
The Jesus approach. Not as good as the real thing, since you can't heal the lame or the blind, or resurrect the dead either. Also, it's probably blasphemous.

Stunbolt 6/Heal 5/Levitate 5
A reasonable choice if you want to use your newfound powers for good. No Increased Reflexes or Armor since the TN penalties for sustaining would probably make the Stunbolt too hard to cast. Of course, you have to land before you can start blasting, so you'll be more of a "snipe them from ambush" style of super hero. Or the "flying with firearms" kind, I guess.
Kyuhan
I think a lot of the spells people think would have no use in real life (combat ones etc.) would get plenty. I mean, if you have a healing force 10 spell, chances are you're going to become complacent about your health "Aww to hell with it, if I break my legs skiing down the triple diamond even though I'm a beginner, I can just heal myself".

As for combat spells, sooooo many people would give in to the temptation "Oh you're gonna talk tough are you? POWERBALL!!!". I've no doubt this mentallity would degrade into "That guy looked at me funny. MANAZAP!!" in many people. I'm sure there's a few of us out there who, back in school were picked on and wished we had the power to fight back...it could be horrible with the application of magic "How do your intestines taste? I'm not such a fat nerd now am I?".

With great power comes great responsibility, and as it stands, sadly too many people aren't willing to even consider accepting it.
Cakeman
With great power comes great responsibility, and as it stands, sadly too many people aren't willing to even consider accepting it.

...says the ones without great power. What really keeps great power in check is fear of the mob. In great enough numbers, wasps can kill a human. Then ofcourse, powerful people can be moral beeings, stranger things have happened...

"Now now Henry, it's wrong to manabolt your brother like that. You'll go without desert today."

[edit]

Mindlink (or what is the read mind equivalent?)
Levitate
Lightningbolt

I'd go for read mind instead of control thought because it... well, it's not as evil. Ok it's evil enough but it feels better smile.gif And you're no magician unless you can make lightning/fire leap from your fingers...

[/edit]
Kyuhan
Wasps can kill a human...beeings he says....LOL great punnage. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I agree, fear keeps people in check. It is really easy to say things like "With great power..." because hey, I personally don't know if I'd have morals strong enough to withstand temptation in a situation like that, I mean I'd like to think I would. Maybe there's just some things we're better off not knowing.
Mortax
Um, to those arguing about heal, here is why I didn't put it:
I put down the one's I think I would use the most often.
I'm going to change the gecko crawl to levitate self, though. smile.gif

And treat would prolly be the FIRST thing I would learn, but I'm hoping it is never usefull, and that it is never needed. I've been in multipole situations where it would have been needed, but I"m still hoping I'm never in those situations again.

And I wasn't joking about coyote shaman, if the awakening comes, I'd either be that or a physad. Or a phys shaman, are those possible? Phys coyote shaman, there is a fun thought. smile.gif

And as a further note, I didn't want improved invis or physical mask for anything overly nepharious, I just do a decent amount of theater and work at a haunted house. I figure those will be usefull. vegm.gif

As too the +4 str and then finding a spell lock.... I'm a blacksmith and a gymnast.
The levitate self, see previouse statment. smile.gif
Ed Simons
QUOTE (weblife)

Humans ain't critters. I think they made the distinction to protect the masking spells as the only spells that can hide your identity.

Or do you all (readers) allow shapechange to alter you into generic someone else?

Well, p. 49 of the SSG mentions someone using a Quickened Shapechange spell to change their sex.

So it seems to be possible to change appearance with Shapechange. Whether or not you can improve appearance is another question.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012