Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most Useful 3 Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Crimson Jack
If you (the real life you) could possess three spells that are found in the SR3 system, which would they be? Also, assume you have 10 force points to assign to them in total.

I'm thinking...

Improved Invisibility - 6 (I can think of countless uses for this spell)
Detox - 3 (for endless drinking binges)
Increased Relflexes III - 1

grinbig.gif
Ol' Scratch
Healthy Glow 1
Makeover/Fashion hybrid 1
Heal/Cure Disease hybrid 8

If I had a fourth it would be either Trid Phantasm or Entertainment.
Kagetenshi
Improved Invisibility 1
Levitate 1
Heal 8

or:

II 1
Levitate 3
Heal 6

~J
Krazy
improved invisability 3 (i'm already pretty quiet)
Heal 3 (dang aways hurting myself)
Levitate 4

a fourth would be create (waterballoonn) or (creme pie) biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Slay (Windling)
Detect Verjigorm, non-extended.
Wreck (Sun)

~J
scoundrel
Slaughter Human: 10

...What?
Krazy
Repair ( microsoft windows) cuz I'm sure it needs more than just normal help.

detect (idiot) Here's your sign
silence (for my roomates)

(edit) detect spelling error
Crimson Jack
The clubbie's grimoire:

Detect (Nymphomaniac)
Control Emotion
Magic Fingers
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Krazy)
Repair ( microsoft windows) cuz I'm sure it needs more than just normal help.

That's a good one. biggrin.gif
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Wreck (Sun)

That's a mean one. grinbig.gif
Frater Inominatus
Levitate 4
Create Food 4
Increased Reflexes +3 2
fistandantilus4.0
analyze device
magic fingers
Levitate
Cynic project
Slay immortal Elf force(as high as you can)
detect immortal elf( ditto)
Barrier immortal elf(ditto)
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
analyze device

It's a shame Analyze device doesn't really get you much, isn't it? It'll tell you how a tree works fairly reliably, maybe even a set of clothing or a pair of shoes, but you're never gonna net more than 1-2 successes on a computer or any high-tech gizmo, which means a knowledge or B/R skill of 1. Interesting idea, horrid execution.

As for me:

Magic Fingers 3
Levitate 3
Physical Barrier 4 (pre-"FAQ" ruling when it had creative uses and was moderately shapable; now maybe Shapechange 4)
DocMortand
Hmm...
Trid Phantasm 6
Levitate 2
Heal 2

Always been a media junkie...so creating my own illusions would be ideal. smile.gif
Angelone
Physical Mask
Gecko Crawl
Increased Reflexes 3

Go go superspy.
JaronK
Levitate 3
Nutrition 1
Treat 6

Ability to heal wounded = instant medical career! Plus not having to eat if you're broke, and flying just rocks.

JaronK
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ May 28 2005, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ May 28 2005, 04:44 PM)
analyze device

It's a shame Analyze device doesn't really get you much, isn't it? It'll tell you how a tree works fairly reliably, maybe even a set of clothing or a pair of shoes, but you're never gonna net more than 1-2 successes on a computer or any high-tech gizmo, which means a knowledge or B/R skill of 1. Interesting idea, horrid execution.

As for me:

Magic Fingers 3
Levitate 3
Physical Barrier 4 (pre-"FAQ" ruling when it had creative uses and was moderately shapable; now maybe Shapechange 4)

It's not like you're going to be doing a lot else (well in most cases) if you're trying to pick apart a mag lock, so you can throw in all your magic pool, maybe a bit of centering here or there. A starting char, sor 6, mag pool 6, with a target # 8, should be able to get 2 successes. That's w/o an expendable fetish. Off set a bit by sustaing the spell, but there are of course ways around that.
FrostyNSO
Read the above post only because I wanted an excuse to read fistandantilus' gyro-mount quote again....
fistandantilus4.0
wink.gif

Mortax
hmmm...

Improved str +4 at lvl 1
Improved invis 4
Physical Mask 4
Gecko crawl lvl1

And people think I'm frightining in the Haunted house NOW.......

Silly Coyote shaman. grinbig.gif
Phoniex
Dear god i can't believe everyone here! supposively dumpshockers are the most evil and meglomanical people on the planet.. but NO ONE has chosen my spells yet:) I'm almost ashamed its taken this long for anyone to post these.

conrol Thoughts 3
"droids" ie influence 3
Alter memeory 4

although Imp. Invis. and levitate are definately kewl.. i would much rather make everyone on earth my slave:) thou superman! (leviate) is temping.

later guys
Kiedo
O.o I'd have to go with:

Alter memory 3
Magic Fingers 4
Influence 3

Yeah, I want to be a Jedi, I'm not ashamed of it.
Mortax
QUOTE (Kiedo)

Yeah, I want to be a Jedi, I'm not ashamed of it.

Nothing wrong with that, I wanna be spiderman. smile.gif
nick012000
Increase Intelligence 6 w/ Sustaining Focus
Control Emotions 6
Flamethrower 6
Healthy Glow 1 (fetish learning)
Fashion 1 (fetish learning)

The Control Emotions is to facilitate one-night-stands, Increased Intelligence is for obvious uses, and Flamethrower is because I'm paranoid and the best defence is a good offense.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (nick012000)
Increase Intelligence 6 w/ Sustaining Focus
Control Emotions 6
Flamethrower 6
Healthy Glow 1 (fetish learning)
Fashion 1 (fetish learning)

The Control Emotions is to facilitate one-night-stands, Increased Intelligence is for obvious uses, and Flamethrower is because I'm paranoid and the best defence is a good offense.

So, you're picking 5 spells and assuming you have 20 force points to play with? You don't get any magic powers now. Shame on you.
fistandantilus4.0
I'd just like to note for the record that my wife says that the 3 most useful spells are:

Healthy Glow
Make Over
Fashion

Guess it depends on your point of view
hermit
Improved Invisibility
Stun Ball
Mind Probe

A fourth would be inproved Init 3
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ May 29 2005, 05:21 AM)
I'd just like to note for the record that my wife says that the 3 most useful spells are:

Healthy Glow
Make Over
Fashion

Guess it depends on your point of view

She's a wise woman (see my list in the second post). smile.gif I don't get all the people adding combat spells to their lists myself considering this is a list of three most useful spells that you would find useful in everyday life, not you living in the shadows. Most of these posts seem to be done by people who view themselves as murderers or potential date rapists. Pretty sad, that.
Dingus_McGee
Levitate 3
Physical Barrier 4
Trid Phantasm 3

The possibilities......
hermit
I don't get all the people adding combat spells to their lists myself considering this is a list of three most useful spells that you would find useful in everyday life, not you living in the shadows.

Ah. In that case, it'd be:

Makeover
Treat
Control Animal (bird)

Also, summoning spirits would be so damn cool.
Krazy
i could use stun ball, or sleep would probly be better "alright campers, lights OUT!" and nutrition for those days that meals get de-prioritized.
pragma
Analyze Device 3 -useful
Heal 6 -also useful
Sterilize 1 -for nasty public restrooms

Numbers could be a little off (take one out of heal and put it into analyze device if it makes the forces work better).
Edward
you think sterilise 1 will help with the public restrooms.

I will take
Heal
Levitate
Trid phantasm.

Edward
weblife
Alot of people put healing spells on their lists. Realisticly however, how often does people get hurt where a bandaid couldn't deal with it?

Its not like magic can cure cancer or the other serious stuff that tend to kill us all in the end.

I'll go for:

Levitate 6
Destroy Filth 6 (Modified makeover spell, AE effect, removes all "filth". Particularly nasty stains may require the spell to be cast at Deadly nyahnyah.gif )
Metabolize 6 (Modified health spell, increases body metabolism to burn excess fat and matches calorie burn with calorie intake for massive eating frenzy. grinbig.gif )

Mr.Cato
I'm surprised nobody metions the Detox spell. This spell will rid you of a hangover... engough said.
Ol' Scratch
It has been mentioned, though it should be noted that not everyone is a heavy (or even light) drinker either.
Mr.Cato
ah yes... Detox is mentioned in the first post smile.gif ... I guess that party saturday night did more damage than I thought.
Took me until 17:00 to get ready for a session of SR, and I had to stare at my burger for ½ a hour before I could take a bite.
mattness pl
Mob mind, mob mind mob mind biggrin.gif
Edward
QUOTE (weblife @ May 30 2005, 06:58 PM)
Alot of people put healing spells on their lists. Realisticly however, how often does people get hurt where a bandaid couldn't deal with it?

Good point there. Cure diseseis a spell listed in the book I believe, and of practical use in most peoples lives, everything from the conmen cold to HIV food poising, bacterial viral and parasitic infections can be cured buy this spell.

Edward
Ol' Scratch
Realistically, how much would you hate yourself if you or a loved one were severely wounded (say in a car accident), but you chose to learn how to go invisible or walk on learn how to date rape someone instead of healing them? Especially when the spell to do so is easily learned and cast.
Kagetenshi
And how much would you hate yourself if you or a loved one were trapped under a fallen rock in the wilderness and you learned to heal instead of being able to disintegrate the rock off of them (Powerbolt) or lift it away (Levitate)? Or if you were lost in the wilderness and ran out of food and had learned to heal instead of help keep them alive (Nutrition)?

That path leads nowhere.

~J
Ol' Scratch
Did you just compare two obscure scenarios that are so remote as to practically be non-existant to one that's likely to come up at least several times in your life just for you alone?

Broken bones, twisted ankles, nasty cuts, car accidents, heart attacks, failing livers, etc. vs. having a boulder crush you (:O) or starving to death in the woods.

Okay.
Kagetenshi
What can I say, I'm a hiker with a few dashes of climbing thrown in. I suppose it's probably somewhat far from the norm, but I've had more people around me in serious danger that would have been helped by Levitate than Heal/Treat.

The only time I can remember being around someone in immediate danger of very likely death (in this case, trapped in the rigging of a mostly-submerged and sinking small sailboat), Powerbolt would have been the spell of the day.

~J
psykotisk_overlegen
Create food-3 (everything from not having to carry food while hiking to solving world hunger issues, also I'm hungry at the moment abd the spell is so inconsistent abd broken that I just have to make use of it)
heal-4 (close call between this and cure disease, but this is more dramatic. Also this is the only spell that I culd concievably have used in life/death situations so far in my life)

For the third spell I'd like something fun, Chaotic world would be great, but I'd probably end up getting some innocents killed in a car crash or something. Invisibility and levitate are cool. Various control spells have their appeal but seem sort of evil to me. Some sort of combat spell would undoubtly be cool but I doubt it'd see much use.
For the last spell
Magic fingers-3 (this spell has so much prank potential, as well as being a really cool ability)
hyzmarca
Levitate - to quickly clean my room with a series of complex actions.

Heal - Because I have an annoying scar that I wish had never formed.

Instead of a third spell I'd have to say that the true name of a free spirit who is willing and able to Wealth as a metamagic would be most useful.
Edward
the heal spell wont fix organ failure or a heart attack, at least I don’t think it will.

As a sometime hiker and knowing people that do far more outdoors activities (rock climbing, abseiling, caving, 4WD treks) the heal spell would be far more useful than levitate or a combat spell in any in those situations. (your more likely to break a leg than have it pined buy a rock)

The combination if detox, cure disease and heal would be the ultimate for saving life, of cause there are no shortage of other spells that can save lives.

Edward
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Edward)
(your more likely to break a leg than have it pined buy a rock)

Wound effects are not healed by Heal or Treat. You'd need Levitate or you'd have to carry them.

~J
Ol' Scratch
A broken bone isn't a "wound effect." It's a descriptor of a major wound that will heal in time. "Wound effects" represent permanent injuries.

Heal will also repair the effects of things like a heart attack (a Deadly attack that basically isn't resisted if I remember the canonical ruling on one correctly), but sure it won't cure the condition that caused it. Just the symptoms, which is all you really need until you can get more professional help.
Cakeman
Now, we all know that saving your loved ones from certain death is unnatural and leads to the dark side biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012